main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Remembering Tigers and Padawans...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jemmiah, Nov 2, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Well, this is my latest rant/confession/question-for-the-forum-members. However, before I even start, I realize that some of the JCN members might not even know who I am, which is kind of a scary prospect. So, I'm Paradox, one of your humble administrators. In recent months, I've become something of a lurker around here, and though I spent three or four hours on JCN every day, I only make a handful of posts. That's why a few of you might not recognize me--but like Santa Claus, I'm always watching.

At any rate, I've noticed a problem creeping up on JCN over the last few weeks, which is really a continuation of a trend that started a long time ago. Calling it a "problem" might be a bit too harsh; let's just say that it's something which disturbs me.

I once said that administrators were simply members with a few extra powers. That was the way I liked things; that's the way I think things should stay. However, recently I've begun receiving e-mails which start with lines like "Dear Sir or Madam," and are written in an almost ridiculously formal tone. That's a bit disquieting to me. At some point along the line, the administrators have ceased to become merely slightly special members and have transformed into a completely different caste of JCN society. I still remember the days when I was a member, and (for instance) jasman was someone whom I regularly communicated with over ICQ. He was an administrator and I was a member; it made no difference.

Well, I for one want to change this back to the way things were before. There are about ten active administrators, and many thousands of members on the forums, and so having a personal relationship with every member is no longer possible. But... while signing onto ICQ and getting a dozen messages from JCN members just wanting to say "Hello" is rather annoying, I think it's far worse to lose all contact with the average member.

So, allow me to reiterate the function of the administrators: above all else, we are members. This isn't some cry for some greater but unreachable ideal; this is the truth. I never think of myself as an administrator when I make a post, unless it is directly related to my administrative duties, and there's no reason why anybody else should, either.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to divide interested members into a dozen or so sections, one group for each active administrator. Each administor would remain in contact with his or her group about forum issues, getting a realistic feel for the opinions of individuals. (Please note that I'm making this statement entirely on my own, and I haven't yet discussed it with anyone else--but I rather like the concept.)

At any rate, e-mail me sometime. Send me a message over ICQ. The other administrators might kill me for saying that (we all get enough forum-related e-mail as is), but I'd like to stay in contact with all of you. I can't make informed decisions about JCN unless I know the people who make up the forums--and not just the trouble-makers who I have to deal with everyday, nor the people who have twelve thousand posts. I'm talking about you.

2. Paradox

Paradox Moderator Emeritus star 1 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 2, 1998
    Well, this is my latest rant/confession/question-for-the-forum-members. However, before I even start, I realize that some of the JCN members might not even know who I am, which is kind of a scary prospect. So, I'm Paradox, one of your humble administrators. In recent months, I've become something of a lurker around here, and though I spent three or four hours on JCN every day, I only make a handful of posts. That's why a few of you might not recognize me--but like Santa Claus, I'm always watching.

At any rate, I've noticed a problem creeping up on JCN over the last few weeks, which is really a continuation of a trend that started a long time ago. Calling it a "problem" might be a bit too harsh; let's just say that it's something which disturbs me.

I once said that administrators were simply members with a few extra powers. That was the way I liked things; that's the way I think things should stay. However, recently I've begun receiving e-mails which start with lines like "Dear Sir or Madam," and are written in an almost ridiculously formal tone. That's a bit disquieting to me. At some point along the line, the administrators have ceased to become merely slightly special members and have transformed into a completely different caste of JCN society. I still remember the days when I was a member, and (for instance) jasman was someone whom I regularly communicated with over ICQ. He was an administrator and I was a member; it made no difference.

Well, I for one want to change this back to the way things were before. There are about ten active administrators, and many thousands of members on the forums, and so having a personal relationship with every member is no longer possible. But... while signing onto ICQ and getting a dozen messages from JCN members just wanting to say "Hello" is rather annoying, I think it's far worse to lose all contact with the average member.

So, allow me to reiterate the function of the administrators: above all else, we are members. This isn't some cry for some greater but unreachable ideal; this is the truth. I never think of myself as an administrator when I make a post, unless it is directly related to my administrative duties, and there's no reason why anybody else should, either.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile to divide interested members into a dozen or so sections, one group for each active administrator. Each administor would remain in contact with his or her group about forum issues, getting a realistic feel for the opinions of individuals. (Please note that I'm making this statement entirely on my own, and I haven't yet discussed it with anyone else--but I rather like the concept.)

At any rate, e-mail me sometime. Send me a message over ICQ. The other administrators might kill me for saying that (we all get enough forum-related e-mail as is), but I'd like to stay in contact with all of you. I can't make informed decisions about JCN unless I know the people who make up the forums--and not just the trouble-makers who I have to deal with everyday, nor the people who have twelve thousand posts. I'm talking about you.

3. junior senator

junior senator Jedi Master star 1

Aug 9, 1998
    Interesting observations and perspective. I didn't think that people were getting that formall.

It's probably some of the relatively newer members that are doing what you say.

Hey Paradox I've always considered you a pally!

4. junior senator

junior senator Jedi Master star 1

Aug 9, 1998
    Interesting observations and perspective. I didn't think that people were getting that formall.

It's probably some of the relatively newer members that are doing what you say.

Hey Paradox I've always considered you a pally!

5. Jedi Jasman

Jedi Jasman Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 1999
    Interesting idea. I'm not sure what I think of it. I'll have to think it over. I, too, think of myself primarily as a member here, and an Administrator second. I'm here almost every evening, but I put my ICQ in "invisible" mode. That is to discourage people who just want to "chat." Generally speaking, I don't want to chat over ICQ. My ICQ is active so that people can reach me if there is an emergency or problem on the JC that needs administrative attention.

6. Jedi Jasman

Nov 1, 1999
    Interesting idea. I'm not sure what I think of it. I'll have to think it over. I, too, think of myself primarily as a member here, and an Administrator second. I'm here almost every evening, but I put my ICQ in "invisible" mode. That is to discourage people who just want to "chat." Generally speaking, I don't want to chat over ICQ. My ICQ is active so that people can reach me if there is an emergency or problem on the JC that needs administrative attention.

7. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    Paradox you're right. I'm almost always invisible on ICQ lately. If I go to avaliable I start talking to so many people that I don't even have a change to check my email. As is in invisible I don't get much chance to read the boards.

I'll try to get more involved in forum discussions again like I used to.

and please people, I'm not a Godly admin, so you don't have to be scared and treat me like one

8. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    Paradox you're right. I'm almost always invisible on ICQ lately. If I go to avaliable I start talking to so many people that I don't even have a change to check my email. As is in invisible I don't get much chance to read the boards.

I'll try to get more involved in forum discussions again like I used to.

and please people, I'm not a Godly admin, so you don't have to be scared and treat me like one

9. Defiance

Defiance Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    Well, you do need to draw the line between Administrators and Members, so admins can do their jobs properly. But there shouldn't be a large rift between admins and members either, because that will result in flaming, anti-admin sentiments and banning. I think the direction you appear to want to go is a good one.

10. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Admins,

I think the formality is because when people are e-mailing, it's most likely because they're making a complaint, and most of us feel a little uncomfy about that (sorry about the "complaint/never mind" note earlier, Jasman). If you're going to say, "I'm being a thin-skinned little jerk and I need to whine to the admins" (as I did earlier; trust me, the only finger I'm shaking is pointed at the mirror), you want to sound all high-faluting to do it, so that it sounds more imperious and less childish.

Anyway, that's my guess.

11. Defiance

Defiance Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 16, 1999
    Well, you do need to draw the line between Administrators and Members, so admins can do their jobs properly. But there shouldn't be a large rift between admins and members either, because that will result in flaming, anti-admin sentiments and banning. I think the direction you appear to want to go is a good one.

12. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Admins,

I think the formality is because when people are e-mailing, it's most likely because they're making a complaint, and most of us feel a little uncomfy about that (sorry about the "complaint/never mind" note earlier, Jasman). If you're going to say, "I'm being a thin-skinned little jerk and I need to whine to the admins" (as I did earlier; trust me, the only finger I'm shaking is pointed at the mirror), you want to sound all high-faluting to do it, so that it sounds more imperious and less childish.

Anyway, that's my guess.

13. Darth Cryack

Darth Cryack Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 1999
    people arn't afraid of you, they respect you. to 'us', you are the athority, and, the athority is the main target for blaim...when something good happens, 'we' want to take the credit, but when something bad happens, we spred the blame. usualy, that is you, the athority...not the smartest reply but, it'll work

14. Darth Cryack

Darth Cryack Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 1999
    people arn't afraid of you, they respect you. to 'us', you are the athority, and, the athority is the main target for blaim...when something good happens, 'we' want to take the credit, but when something bad happens, we spred the blame. usualy, that is you, the athority...not the smartest reply but, it'll work

15. Paradox

Oct 2, 1998
    Right. Well, I recognize the need for some degree of seperation, but I really think that I have two JCN personas: the one that handles posts, and the one that's an administrator. They're certainly related, but there's a change in tone of my posts when I'm being an administrator (like now). For instance, I can get drunk as a Gonk Knight in fanfic, but I wouldn't do that right now--though, I suppose in one manner of speaking, I just did.

At any rate, I'm not a paid official. I'm a volunteer, and I continue to volunteer because this is fun for me. It gets a lot less fun when I'm solely an authority figure, if you understand what I mean. There's a necessary balance that must be found, and I think that trying to set up these groups might be a step towards that balance.

16. Paradox

Oct 2, 1998
    Right. Well, I recognize the need for some degree of seperation, but I really think that I have two JCN personas: the one that handles posts, and the one that's an administrator. They're certainly related, but there's a change in tone of my posts when I'm being an administrator (like now). For instance, I can get drunk as a Gonk Knight in fanfic, but I wouldn't do that right now--though, I suppose in one manner of speaking, I just did.

At any rate, I'm not a paid official. I'm a volunteer, and I continue to volunteer because this is fun for me. It gets a lot less fun when I'm solely an authority figure, if you understand what I mean. There's a necessary balance that must be found, and I think that trying to set up these groups might be a step towards that balance.

17. Darth Otto

Darth Otto Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 1999
    This user name is new but, I'v been a part of the JC for a little over a year. My original screen name is Otto and is broken right now(CA said he'd let Zorro know). I just thought that I would say that I have always felt confortable e-mailing an Admin with a problem I was having, maybe it is because most of the people who are now Admins were just members like me when I use to post here more often. I will say that I'm more likely to contact an Admin that I feal knows my screen name, or posts alot to the same threads that I post to.

Sometimes, I feal sorry for the Admins, because they can't post to threads as often as they like, since they are busy keeping this place from falling apart. As far as I'm conserned they all do a great job, and I think that the TF.N staff has chosen the right people to be their Admins.

18. Darth Otto

Darth Otto Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 1999
    This user name is new but, I'v been a part of the JC for a little over a year. My original screen name is Otto and is broken right now(CA said he'd let Zorro know). I just thought that I would say that I have always felt confortable e-mailing an Admin with a problem I was having, maybe it is because most of the people who are now Admins were just members like me when I use to post here more often. I will say that I'm more likely to contact an Admin that I feal knows my screen name, or posts alot to the same threads that I post to.

Sometimes, I feal sorry for the Admins, because they can't post to threads as often as they like, since they are busy keeping this place from falling apart. As far as I'm conserned they all do a great job, and I think that the TF.N staff has chosen the right people to be their Admins.

19. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Paradox, I really don't support your idea for some very important reasons:

<LI> We don't need or want any bueracracy that limits the decisions Admins can make
    <LI> We don't need or want a way to get groups divided on the JC, more than they already are.
    <LI> Time dude. Don't have that much time.

20. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Paradox, I really don't support your idea for some very important reasons:

<LI> We don't need or want any bueracracy that limits the decisions Admins can make
    <LI> We don't need or want a way to get groups divided on the JC, more than they already are.
    <LI> Time dude. Don't have that much time.

21. bmilder

bmilder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    Hmm.

Well, I only have 4 admins on my ICQ list... I've contacted one of them for the first time today, and I spoke with the other two a few times in the past. Because I didn't get a chance to talk to them until they were busy admins, I don't talk to them often.

When I got an ICQ message from Hathor, I was practically in awe - "wow, an admin messaged me," but she reminded me that she was, in fact, a normal human being.

As it happens, the handful of JC people I talk to regularly are just normal members. But based on your post, admins are just normal members too .

When you have 20,000 people looking up to you, I can imagine it would be tough...

22. bmilder

bmilder Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    Hmm.

Well, I only have 4 admins on my ICQ list... I've contacted one of them for the first time today, and I spoke with the other two a few times in the past. Because I didn't get a chance to talk to them until they were busy admins, I don't talk to them often.

When I got an ICQ message from Hathor, I was practically in awe - "wow, an admin messaged me," but she reminded me that she was, in fact, a normal human being.

As it happens, the handful of JC people I talk to regularly are just normal members. But based on your post, admins are just normal members too .

When you have 20,000 people looking up to you, I can imagine it would be tough...

23. Lore

Lore Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 1999
    You never think of yourself as old, until the first time some 20-year-old calls you "Sir"

And under the circumstances, I can see why that would be *quite* a shock to Paradox

24. Lore

Lore Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 1999
    You never think of yourself as old, until the first time some 20-year-old calls you "Sir"

And under the circumstances, I can see why that would be *quite* a shock to Paradox

25. Jedi Jasman

Nov 1, 1999
    Personally, I would prefer to be respected for the quality of my posts, not for my position as an administrator. I was invited to become an administrator because I was a respected member, NOT the other way around. But, if you guys insist on respecting me, I guess I'll accept it, whatever the reason is!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.