main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Removing Color From Fabric ~ Any Ideas???

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by FERDALUMP, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I am desperate--If you have any ideas--Please Post them :) PLEASE

I found a fabric that is *Perfect* for a project I want to do--well, almost perfect. It is the wrong color :(
    The fabric is a Fushia Pink and I need it to be a light blue. The fabric was a remnant so I do not know the content--but I feel pretty sure it has some poly in it. I have always had sucess dyeing Poly--so I am thinking positve.

So far I have used 2 boxes of Rit Color Remover and I have used a Store Brand bleach--No luck :(

I tested a sample and the fabric dyes perfectly, but how can I take the color down so I can dye it a light shade?? When I dye it now it turns out a weird, dark color.

PLEASE PLEASE offer up any suggestions you might have--I would *Love* to use this fabric, and I will try anything. Thanks in advance!!

Ferd :)

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well you used the two suggestions I was going to offer... hmmm... I don't know what else you could use. I will discuss the topic with my textiles professor however.

Of course my boyfriends(who suggested duct tape) roommate suggests hydrochloric acid. *rolls eyes* This is the last time I let them into such a sophisticated conversation ;)

If you do find out what will work I would love to know! I'll check back in with what my professor said on Monday :)

3. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Well, Ferd, while I've never dealt with them,
    Fabrics To Dye For has a whole page on discharge chemicals to help remove color from fabric.
    If nothing else, it might be worth giving them a call to see if they have any insights into your situation.

Hope that helps!

-sg

4. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Thanks so much Jedi Girl and SG :)

I will try to call them on Monday and see what they suggest.

I tried Clorox Advantage (the thick concetrated bleach) and after soaking it for 4 hours--still NO CHANGE! AHHHHHH!!!

Thanks for the tips, though. I'll keep trying...

Ferd

5. 1nsane_Sith

1nsane_Sith Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2003
  6. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    She already used that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.