main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA RenFaire Trip - pick your date!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Taeriel, Sep 4, 2010.

?

RenFaire Trip - pick your date!

Poll closed Sep 14, 2010.
  1. Sept 18 or 19 - it's 2 for 1 admission discount! (I can go either of these days)

66.7%
  2. Sept 25 or 26 - Pirates! (I can go either of these days)

11.1%
  3. Sept 18 - I want the discount, but can only go Sat

11.1%
  4. Sept 19 - I want the discount, but can only go Sun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sept 25 - Pirates on Sat!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sept 26 - Pirates on Sun!

11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    There's been significant interest expressed in a trip to the RenFaire later this month for our Sept meeting. Thanks to Rob for the suggestion. There are two weekends under consideration: Sept 18 and 19 are a 2 for 1 discount while Sept 25 and 26 is a Pirate-theme weekend.

You have 6 choices in the poll. The first two pick a generic weekend, and are for those people who prefer either discount or pirates but are flexible to go either Sat or Sun that weekend. The last 4 options are for people who have a preference for a specific day.

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    For those undecided on what days they want to go, the annual LOTR picnic will be in Novato on Sept 18th and San Franciso's Ocktoberfest By The Bay will be from Sept 23rd-Sept 26th

3. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Thanks for the info! There are lots of different activities to keep in mind for scheduling this month!

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    So Sept 18th or 19th?

5. irishjedimaster

irishjedimaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2010
    Im down for the 19th, mainly because recent developments have made me unable to go on the 18th.

6. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I voted for 18th or 19th, but I don't think I can go. I've been gone every weekend and I think I need a weekend at home to keep the peace :)

7. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Wel since most have voted for 18 or 19th and there is preference for the 19th it looks like the 19th wills out.

8. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Since it is a bit of a distance, I suggest trying to carpool. Let me know what time everyone expects to be there and we can plan to meet up for an informal meeting. The biggest thing will be deciding about a table for wondercon.

9. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    ok 19th... what time... and err... where is this thing? ^^ I'll bring something pointy! XD (just kidding... [face_thinking] maybe... [face_whistling] )

10. irishjedimaster

Mar 6, 2010
    No one else is gonna say it? Alright, I guess it falls to me again.

It's this

And this.

Lots and lots of these things. Also, roasted pig typically figures into it somehow, as does jousting and jester hijinks (which is like a feudal form of shenanigans).

11. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    lolling... One thing we've never done is LARPing and I for one draw the line there. Cosplay already comes way too close to that. ^^

Are people dressing up for this thing? I just happen to like any environment were carrying a weapon is the norm. ;)

12. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    http://www.norcalrenfaire.org/

Since it's 2 for 1 weekend, as well as first weekend, I would suggest getting there early at 10 AM.

13. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm afraid I'm tentative for going at this point. I know I have family stuff going on this weekend and together with having been sick this week, I'm going to have to see how things are going and how I am feeling when the weekend gets here. If I don't make it, I will post my thoughts on a wondercon table in that thread.

14. irishjedimaster

Mar 6, 2010
    yeah, people will be dressing up, and they are very serious about it. In that way, its not really LARPing, cuz for alot of these people, this isn't roleplay. Its a way of life. Like, some of these folks actually live and travel around in troupes doing this year round.

You could dress up, and anyone in jedi robes would actually fit in really well, the robes strongly resembling period costumes. Just leave the lightsaber at home. You dont want to be accused of witchcraft at one of these things. I used my cell phone one time, and was "arrested" and tried in an impromptu court they threw together. Im pretty sure its not legally binding in the real world, but you never know.

15. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Took a quick look at Accuweather and it's supposed to be mid 70's that day.

Only problem with costuming is the dust that always cakes the boots or shoes by the end of the day. As it is, I will be going immediately after work so I'm probably not dressing up.

16. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    My grandpa fell and broke his hip so I might not be going to this event with you'all

17. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    Well, if i make it back home from Yuba City saturday night I'll try to go

18. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    Hey no worries. Hope your grandpa is gonna be ok.

19. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Sorry to hear about your grandpa Tom. That sucks bro, hope he's okay.

As it seems so many people are iffy I would recommend to table the meeting for another time like early October I'd say.

Also there is a form/coupon to print out for the whole 2 for 1 thing. Otherwise they won't honor it. It's on the website. I'll go but if the two for one doesn't fly (like we have an odd number of people or something) I'll pull out. I have business in SJ anyway.

@ Russ, leave the lightsaber at home? lol... It's like my American Express, I never leave home without it. :p

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Tom,

Hope your grandpa is doing okay. My mom had her hip replaced and she was able to walk just fine, without a walker, even. They do wonders with surgery today!

I'll dress up, I have a skirt that looks kinda peasanty and a blouse that looks like it could be from that era as well. My daughter and her friends do this all the time and have great costumes. Her friends even got married at Renfaire, had a Celtic wedding ceremony 'cause a friend of theirs is an actual Celtic priest!

Okay, no cell phone use on the site, got it. ;)

Rob,

I'll pm you about logistics for Sunday. Still need to know time of pickup and hope it's not too much trouble.

21. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I should so invest in a Shinsen Gumi kimono or/and a shinigami kimono... or even one of those black Japanese 501st kimono based of the Shinsen Gumi kimonos. I think Feudal Japan is totally under represented at these things. Not that renfair has anything thing to do with Japan but I rather wear something I like for no apparent reason other than just to be different and comfortable. ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.