main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Rent in the Force Chapter 26 is up 06/25/03 Finished

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ZaraValinor, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    I'll extend my beta duties to upping this; page 5 is way to low to get! :D

2. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Chapter 24:Father

The Sith Lord Darth Nefarion stepped off of his personal transport, his black boots crunching the deepening hue of the Auna vines under his feet. The natural red, orange, and yellow color of the vibrating veined leaves had deepened even further with the turning of the season. They were also marked by the puff of condensate air that accompanied each breath from the Sith Lord.

Nefarion was like the night that surrounded him, he was cloaked in eternal darkness, hiding the smile of icy pleasure he felt at seeing his years of planning come to fruition. He had waited long for this day, the day that he would take Ben Skywalker and mold him into a being he could control; so much power in one boy was impossible to pass up.

All around him in the small clearing, secured by the initial wave of his Yuuzhan Vong Devotees, were the other warriors from such planets as Linnal, Belkadan, and Garqi. Planets so out of the way, already terraformed to the specifications of Yun Yuuzhan, that the New Republic had given them over to the Devotees without thought. They had flocked to him as word of the demigod Nefarion had spread across the galaxy, from villip to villip, word that their salvation was yet at hand. He had promised them the galaxy that the gods had promised them. He had taken on the mantle of those they worshipped, and in turn they worshipped him.

After Warmaster Tarsvin Shraq had contacted him with the success of his mission, Nefarion had declared their victory, and had called every warrior to move from their planets to the central system of the New Republic, Coruscant. They had moved in - not under the cover of his cloaking device, but openly, in the rightful Yuuzhan Vong technology that his followers created.

Nefarion had stomached the slimy technology with the stoicism of his training, knowing that it was only a matter of time before the Devotees and Separatists wore out their usefulness.

His cloak billowed behind him as he marched towards the Devotee Warmaster, the customary tattooing and scarring marring what was already a haggard face. Shraq bowed before him, a little more willing to trust that Nefarion was the god he had made himself out to be. ?My Lord, the Jeedai's Temple is secured.?

?Good,? he said, brushing past the Warmaster and continuing forward, forcing Shraq to hurry to catch up. ?What news of the Solos??

?We have them secured in a cell about midway into the Temple, just as you requested, Lord,? Shraq said quickly, his head bobbing at the end in acquiescence of Nefarion's divine influence.

Nefarion did nothing but accept Shraq's current awe. Time would tell if it would stay. ?What about Ben Skywalker and AnakinSolo??

?Your apprentice reports that they are in the Temple, attempting to free the Jeedai,? Shraq responded.

The Lady Sarlana was proving her worth yet again. He had debated on whether or not to dispatch her after he had Skywalker; her power was growing, and her loyalty had been tested. He knew, even if she had not recognized it. She had passed the test, but there were stress cracks in her psyche that Nefarion was bound one day to press upon, and he did not want to be around when she broke. Still, he had use for her yet.

?Take me to the pinnacle of the Temple,? he ordered the Devotee Warmaster. ?You are my shield, domain Shraq. If you succeed, the gods will honor you; if you fail, shame will fall upon your domain. You will be Shamed.?

Shraq gulped, his throat muscles tensing in the act. ?Of course, m'Lord.?

Lady Sarlana, he sent the mind probe out to his apprentice.

Master, was the almost immediate reply, a weariness in her mind touch that Nefarion had never felt in his apprentice before.

Prepare the bait.

The secret would be revealed, and Ben Skywalker would be his.

A sly, knowing smile crossed over the shrouded features. It would have turned the hardened Warmaster, Tarsvin Shraq's stomach to see the coldness in it.

Tad was running with everything he had to catch up to his s

3. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    wonderful father/son chat. I was crying near the end. I hope Ben takes his fathers words to heart.

4. Aimeer9

Aimeer9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2002
    Wow that was a truly powerful father/son moment. Amazing :eek:

5. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    RebelMom

wonderful father/son chat. I was crying near the end. I hope Ben takes his fathers words to heart.

I was really excited to write this part and I'm glad you liked it.

Aimeer9

Wow that was a truly powerful father/son moment. Amazing

Thanks. Ben needed to have a good chat with his father.

6. Shloz

Mar 13, 2001
    This post had great suspense energy,as well as touching heart-to-hearts - I loved it!

I was quite breathless as poor Tad and Auni fell into Sarlana's clutches. My heart pounded as Ben and Keorra came (almost) clean with each other. And, finally, Luke's blue debut!

Really enjoying this - it's a privilege to beta! :cool: (I'd like to stake my claim on the concluding episode, as well... [face_mischief] )

I have an awful suspicion as to Nefarion's identity, that just got worse after Luke's vague warning. (Yes, folks, not even the beta knows yet!) I'm hangin' off the cliff here...

Really excellent work, Zara. Not that I have any doubts, but keep it up.

7. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Thanks Shloz. The next post will reveal the secret and hope everyone is surprised.

8. Shloz

Mar 13, 2001
    Chapter 25 has been beta-ed and...

...well, you'll see... :eek:

BTW, I want to inform/remind everyone on this thread that the nominations for the JC Fanfic awards are now in progress at this thread.

Nominations are only until this Thursday (the 26th), so we'd better hurry.

Let's give this fic, series, and our wonderful author the acclaim and renown they deserve so much, as well as letting others on the board find out about what they've been missing!

9. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Thanks Shloz. You always manage to give me a boost.

Chapter 25: He?s My Brother

This can't be happening, Jacen thought. Not again. The oldest Solo boy was struck with a profound sense of déjà vu, seeing his brother dragged in with a ghastly wound that, although it did not look exactly like the one he received on Myrkr, brought up memories of that horror-filled mission and the cost it had claimed from the Solo family.

He still had nightmares of that day, when Anakin had gone absent in the Force, when he could no longer feel the brother he loved in the Force. Myrkr had been a dark place for him and his family ever since. He could still hear Jaina begging Anakin to heal himself, to take a break from the mission long enough to go into a healing trance. Yet Anakin had seen a different route, and had given his life to save the remaining members of his squad, allowing the mission to proceed, and succeed.

Anakin had fought through that devastating wound, had pushed Jacen to take Jaina and go. This lightsaber wound was rough, but Jacen did not think it was as bad as the one Anakin had received on Myrkr. The one he still carried the scar from.

The Yuuzhan Vong had brought Anakin in over an hour ago, and Jacen had taken upon himself the unpleasant task of dressing Anakin's wounds, tearing swaths of cloth from his own unisuit. He had marveled at the precision of the wound. No major organs damaged, it did not twist, so as not arch through bone and flesh - which would have surely have killed Anakin for good this time, cleaving him in half. No, this wound had been a debilitating wound, which told Jacen that for the time being Lord Nefarion and his Sithly apprentice wanted the Solo family alive and intact.

Now all they could do was wait. Jacen could feel Anakin's mind working, but he could not understand what the younger Solo was planning, or why he was expending so much energy when he needed to work on healing his body. Several times Jacen had reached out and tried to link with his brother, to put him in a healing trance, and Anakin had knocked him clean out of his mind. He didn't know if it was because Anakin was still angry with him, or that such an intrusion would limit whatever it was Anakin was doing. Nevertheless, it hurt.

Why did I let this breach continue? he asked himself, looking down at Tahiri, who was lying on the other side of him. He knew that a part of it had been Tahiri - that Anakin still held a placein his heart for his best friend, and felt as though Jacen had stolen her from that place - but that was only part of the breach. I have only done what I've thought was necessary.

And that's where Jacen caught himself. It was that pride issue that Uncle Luke had warned him about all those years ago, when he and Anakin had begun their great large debates, which had quickly been swallowed in arguments. He had never thought to consider Anakin's side of the Force, his particular gift, and take it into account of his own. The Force worked hand in hand as well as opposite of itself, and Jacen had forgotten that he and Anakin were on the same side, wanted basically the same things.

Jacen feared that if Anakin survived this, he still would be lost to him forever. A part of himself that he could never touch again, because he had pushed him away. He had not been the only one to tread off in a different direction, to widen the space between them, but he felt the responsibility of his part harshly. Would they ever be the brothers they had once been?

Jacen was interrupted from his dismal reverie by the sound of the training room door spurting open, followed closely by a Yuuzhan Vong leading his crying niece into the room with none-too-gentle force. Out of the corner of his eye he caught Jag hold back Jaina from advancing. His brother-in-law had seen what he had: if they even tried to move against them, the Yuuzhan Vong could quickly snap Aunecah in two. Nor did it escape any of the Solo clan who were presently conscious that Aunecah was alone, that Tad was still out there alone wi

10. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    *blinks* Brother? I'm confused.

Glad to see Jacen and Anakin working together again. Babies never arrive when you want them to.

Good job with the Nefarious/Ben duel. Ben kept himself under control. Glad to see that.

I'm going to wait anxiously for the next chapter.

11. Shloz

Mar 13, 2001
    Great Post!

The fight was wonderfully described. I'm also glad that Ben kept to his training. Of course, now we know that he really didn't have to doubt himself...

So, Ben's vision has come to pass, even more literally than he himself thought.

Speaking of which - I think there's a (rather long and complicated?) explanation due about Nefarion's background. I suspected that he was closer to Ben and his family than it seemed (I actually wondered if he was some sort of alternate future Ben or something), mainly because Ben thought he saw himself - based on the eyes - but also because I couldn't figure out how Nefarion had access to Padme (assuming that 'Padami' was our distinguished Grandma).

Anyway, I note that Nefarion consistently called Ben 'Ben Jade'. Does this indicate that he is only a half-brother, a son of Mara? He seems to hate Luke and what Luke represents (no-brainer for a Sith Lord, huh?), but respect the Jade name - meaning the Dark associations of Mara's beginnings? But when (and how) did Mara have another child?

Well, this was quite an Empire-class revelation. You're managing a brilliant parallel to the Original Trilogy, one truly worthy of joining the Star Wars saga.

12. Aimeer9

Sep 27, 2002
    Whoa! Brother that is a surprise! I did not see that coming!

13. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    [/b]RebelMom
    *blinks* Brother? I'm confused.

Glad to see Jacen and Anakin working together again. Babies never arrive when you want them to.

Good job with the Nefarious/Ben duel. Ben kept himself under control. Glad to see that.

I'm going to wait anxiously for the next chapter.

The explanation of Nefarion's identity will be given fully in the next book, Thread of the Force. So hopefully that confusion will dissipate.

Shloz
    Great Post!

The fight was wonderfully described. I'm also glad that Ben kept to his training. Of course, now we know that he really didn't have to doubt himself...

So, Ben's vision has come to pass, even more literally than he himself thought.

Speaking of which - I think there's a (rather long and complicated?) explanation due about Nefarion's background. I suspected that he was closer to Ben and his family than it seemed (I actually wondered if he was some sort of alternate future Ben or something), mainly because Ben thought he saw himself - based on the eyes - but also because I couldn't figure out how Nefarion had access to Padme (assuming that 'Padami' was our distinguished Grandma).

Anyway, I note that Nefarion consistently called Ben 'Ben Jade'. Does this indicate that he is only a half-brother, a son of Mara? He seems to hate Luke and what Luke represents (no-brainer for a Sith Lord, huh?), but respect the Jade name - meaning the Dark associations of Mara's beginnings? But when (and how) did Mara have another child?

Well, this was quite an Empire-class revelation. You're managing a brilliant parallel to the Original Trilogy, one truly worthy of joining the Star Wars saga.

Yes Nefarion is only Mara's son. Also there will be further explanation of Padami's identity and what possessed her to help Nefarion. I think you've really got into my mind Shloz. I've told you this over PM but I was actually playing with the idea of future Ben coming into the past before I started writing, but then I wanted to stay with patterns of the trilogy. The loss of all crutches, abandoned and orphaned, then Vader's great admission compared to Nefarions, and so forth. So I was glad I could surprise you all. I have to blush, Shloz. Thanks.

Aimeer9

Whoa! Brother that is a surprise! I did not see that coming!

I'm full of surprises.

14. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Chapter 26: That's Impossible

The Sith Lady Sarlana struggled to maintain her grip on the constantly squirming and crying Tadeo Fel as she made her way through the Temple levels. Darth Nefarion had instructed her to gain enough distance from Solo and his family so that when it came time for her to kill Tadeo there would be no one to stop her. Despite her ruthlessness with Anakin, she had to steel herself for the awful deed. She had never actually killed anyone so young before, and couldn't help but see herself shining out of Tadeo's green eyes.

The image in those limpid pools wasn't of the hardened Sith Lady she portrayed herself to be, but of that little girl who had sat content on Padami's lap. She shook her head, dispelling the image of her past and returning to the droid-like mask she had donned all these long years under Nefarion's tutelage. She was a Sith, the greatest one since Darth Vader. She would stand by her
    Master's side as the Jedi either joined them or were destroyed, one by one.

Reaching the communications center where she would make the announcement to Skywalker, she slammed Tadeo and herself into the room, dropping the boy into a nearby chair and igniting her lightsaber again so that the blade rested just under his chin, keeping him secured in the chair. Tears poured out of the boy's emerald green eyes, and he made soft gasping sounds, but he no longer screamed as he once did.

As she made her Master's ultimatum, Sarlana made sure that her voice was as calm and emotionless as the droid she appeared to be. Tadeo played his part perfectly, calling tearfully to his cousin with such an air of despair that Sarlana was sure that Skywalker was already on his way to meet her Master.

But then what? Her Master would have his prize, and he would have no need of her. Would this be the moment when she'd be forced to challenge him? It was something she knew every Sith moved towards, the goal of replacing the Master that came before them, of becoming the ultimate power in the galaxy, but now it felt very hollow and empty.

Tadeo sniffed and rubbed his nose with his sleeve, trying with everything in him to calm down, but scared beyond belief at the same time. The boy had potential, there was no mistaking that, although he did not come close to what Skywalker prohibited himself from touching. Such a waste.

?Would you be quiet?? she snapped at the little boy, turning angrily towards him.

Strangely enough, the boy scrutinized her, much in the same way Ben Skywalker had upon their first encounter. ?You're sad,? he said, and reached up to trace a tiny finger along the course of her cheek. When he pulled it away, she could see the glimmer of wetness on his fingertip.

Weakling, fool, she cursed herself, and dashed her fingers across the bottom lid of her eyes. ?I'm not sad,? she protested lamely.

?Then you're hurt,? the boy chimed, standing up in his chair to look at her at eye level.

She turned away from those probing eyes. ?Just be quiet, kid, and this will all be over soon.?

The boy settled down to wait, and Sarlana took a seat as far away as she could while still being able to keep him in control. What was it with these Solo Jedi? They could affect her in ways that not even Nefarion or Tranx could, and they had tortured her - sharpened her to the very point of a Sith. Up until Nefarion had sent her to this forsaken Temple, she had known what she was meant to do: serve her Master, and one day surpass him in the ways of the Sith. That was before Nefarion had brought Ben Skywalker into the picture, before she knew of his plans for the young Seer.

Now she served him out of old habit, one that she felt comfortable with, but one that made her feel something she had never pondered before. Incomplete. Did that mean that she had felt whole under the weak guidance of the Jedi? And, if so, did that mean that power and domination was not inbred in her as Nefarion thought? Where did that leave her? A Sith, longing to be a Jedi, and yet unable to change her ways?

The bait i

15. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Wow. What an ending. I was surprized that Nefarious got hold of Ben. that poor kid never gets a break.

analese is causing Sarlana problems too. There's hope for that girl.

Looking forward to that sequel to find out what's gonna happen next.

16. Shloz

Mar 13, 2001
    What an end! Practically leaving us hanging on the bottom of Cloud City... ;)

The twist of Nefarion 'cheating' Ben out of his noble defiant jump was as delightful as it was unexpected - especially since almost everything else was the literal fulfillment of his vision. Just great!

So sad that it is over, even if we're starting again soon (we are starting again soon, right? :mad: ;) )

All in all, I can only reiterate what an honor it has been to be affiliated with this fic. :cool: A wonderful credit to the Star Wars saga.

We've had the ANH and Empire parallels. Now it's time for the next sequel, where everything comes to a head! But what'll you have for Ewoks (yub yub :p )?

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    *Faints.*

Edit: *wakes up.* that was.....unexpected, even if i still guessed it a few seconds before i saw the word 'brother'.

18. Aimeer9

Sep 27, 2002
    Grear Ending!! Can't wait for the next chapter in this saga!

19. joy_noel

joy_noel Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 21, 2002
    I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next part. Great work!

20. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    RebelMom

Wow. What an ending. I was surprized that Nefarious got hold of Ben. that poor kid never gets a break.

analese is causing Sarlana problems too. There's hope for that girl.

Looking forward to that sequel to find out what's gonna happen next.

Yeah, it's Ben's lot in life. Analsa is going to have to chose soon, which side she wants to be on. Thanks RebelMom.

[/b]Shloz

What an end! Practically leaving us hanging on the bottom of Cloud City...

The twist of Nefarion 'cheating' Ben out of his noble defiant jump was as delightful as it was unexpected - especially since almost everything else was the literal fulfillment of his vision. Just great!

So sad that it is over, even if we're starting again soon (we are starting again soon, right? )

All in all, I can only reiterate what an honor it has been to be affiliated with this fic. A wonderful credit to the Star Wars saga.

We've had the ANH and Empire parallels. Now it's time for the next sequel, where everything comes to a head! But what'll you have for Ewoks (yub yub )?

Shloz, I made a slight change on where Ben looses his arm. It was short because I wasn't so sure I wanted to do it, but you're right it does fit, and I hope this is better. Anyway, I'll be starting on the trailer tonight and hopefully the first chapter in the morning. So expect a chapter soon.

jacen200015

*Faints.*

Edit: *wakes up.* that was.....unexpected, even if i still guessed it a few seconds before i saw the word 'brother'.

I hope you backed away from the computer before you fainted. I'm gald I surprised you.

Aimeer9

Grear Ending!! Can't wait for the next chapter in this saga!

Coming up soon.

joy_noel

I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next part. Great work!

Ben's trial isn't nearly over and it will be a whopping, I hope.

21. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Upping so that others might get a chance to read.

22. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Upping so that others might get a chance to read.

23. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.