main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reporter Stanley A. Miller II Is a Big Fat Jerk!

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Idaara, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idaara

Idaara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    For the full articles on Gen Con, see today's Journal, the Que section. The story I'm focusing on is on page 6E and is titled "Gen Con Offerings Still Magical". (The underlining below is my doing.)

"This year the extra-special event will be the Cirque de la Gen Con, a party celebrating Milwaukee's last Gen Con being held at the Rave, 2401 W. Wisconsine Ave.

For those lucky enough to catch a cab or survive the 20-block walk from downtown, there will be DJs spinning so gamers can get their groove on, as well as circus performers to entertain the dateless wonders and wallflowers."

Who the heck does this guy think he is?

First, let me pick on his grammar. As far as I know, Gen Con has never been held at the Rave, so that's a nice dangling participle on his part. How about "party being held at the Rave <insert address> to celebrate Gen Con's..."? Great English from a professional writer.

Second, dateless wonders and wallflowers? Okay, it's one thing if we call ourselves that, but for a journalist to put that in an article like that is just crass and tacky. What does it add to the article? What does it tell the world about those of us who go to Gen Con or are into gaming?

I've got a funny feeling that Mr. Miller is going to be getting some ugly email and snail over the next few days, one of which is going to be from me.

Edit: Was done to correct a misspelled word.

2. Jedi_Bane

Jedi_Bane Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    I totaly agree... only we can call ourselves "dateless wonders"...

3. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Seems his editor should have caught that and said "Ummm...maybe less harsh and more informative, please." As for the dateless wonder part...sounds like a horrible comic book...based on my life... [face_laugh]

4. Outlander_

Outlander_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    Don't let it get to you...if it gets to you, they win.

5. SameSithDifferentDay

SameSithDifferentDay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Tsk tsk tsk... Idaara, don't you know to turn the other cheek? That way, the swelling will be even.

6. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    you guys have to see what we put up with in mineasota. this one newsreporter robin robison thinks all Star Wars fans live their parents. i hate her

7. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I, too, read both articles yesterday in the Cue section and just grinned at his comment.

First, one has to remember that the Journal Sentinel is a paper that also employs Duane Dudek who has been a worthless movie reviewer for as long as I can remember. Second, Milwaukee is not a good sci-fi city and never has been (it's too conservative) - when was the last time there was a Star Trek convention in town when we used to have one or two a year? Now, nobody start screaming at me about Star Trek...I like ST but, as those who know me can attest, I much prefer SW!

I also smile at comments like he made because a good number of friends who go to GenCon are married or, at least, have girl- or boyfriends. Egads! Bruce and I are married and love GenCon! We've been attending it for over 10 years!

As for Stanley A Miller II, who must need to feel important by putting the 'II' after his name, just say to yourself my personal mantra: Consider the source!

One last word about GenGon goers - yes, there may be many of those "dateless wonders and wallflowers" but each one of them has more intelligence and more imagination in their little finger than Mr Miller II will ever have!

8. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    i can't go to gencon and i go to an all girl school so it's harder to get a date.... I'M HURT!!! :(

9. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Ahhh. I saw that article and I was laughing really hard. You see we have embraced our nerd-dom and relish it. Think about it, Bill Gates..nerd, probably an Ubernerd and could buy and sell Stanley A. Miller half a million times each time dressing him up as a different My Pretty Pony if he so desired. And as for Mr. Miller's position..he works at the Milwaukee Journal which is the equivalent to the Globe on a particularly bad day. We don't worry about it. We laugh and move on.

Marcy (y Dwayne)

10. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "...could buy and sell Stanley A. Miller half a million times each time dressing him up as a different My Pretty Pony..."

I wish he would. That would be funny. [face_laugh]

11. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Yeah, I have some issues with Mr. Miller myself...

(If you don't know, he's the reason I'll forever be known as the guy who plays with action figures in the dark)

Jeff

12. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    ...and he is the same guy who misquoted my infamous "blasphemy" line.

He seems to have a few "issues" to work out. Perhaps we should chip in and get him a Milwookie T-Shirt and staple it to his forehead. (I would like to see that in cartoon form!)

Remember, if he ever calls you burn your phone and run out of your house. Don't take any chances.

13. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Okay, maybe I was blowing this a bit out of proportion...the day that I posted I was suffering through my sinus infection (induced by a medical procedure, thank you very much doctor) finally breaking up. I was cranky due to being tired, feeling really crappy and having everything start draining down the back of my throat.

However, I love the idea of SA Miller II as a ponyboy...now that would be worth seeing. Pass the riding crop, please. [face_devil]

14. Red_Jedi_Knight

Red_Jedi_Knight Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    paddle and beat him.... i don't like people making fun of geeks. we are not nerd!!!
    nerds are people who are weird with no reason!! we are the mighty geeks we have reason and logict in our weird ways!! (no i can't spell)

15. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I did not see the article but, just for the record, there doesn't seem to be anyone doing proofreading or editing at any of these newspapers anymore. The Sheboygan Press was bought by Gannett Newspapers and has been a high school level rag since.

16. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Weird for no reason? Everyone has a reason to be weird you just might not understand it just like Stanley A. Miller II doesn't understand us being weird about Star Wars. If you're a geek and you're ranking on nerds well JuJu will come looking for you, mark my words. Geeks, Nerds...there's no difference except point of view. As I've said before, I'm comfortable with the label of nerd/geek and I don't throw stones from inside or outside my glass house.:)

Marcy

17. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    In case no one else realized it, Mr Stanley Miller was one of the judges for the costume competition at GenCon! I was sitting right behind the judges and, when they announced his name, I almost fell off my chair and immediately said to Bruce and 2 others we were with what he (Miller) said about GenCon-ers in that rag called the Journal Sentinel. Not sure if Miller heard me but I felt good about saying what a jerk he was!

18. Jedi_Bane

Jedi_Bane Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    He was one of the Judges!!??? [****s a brick] There is somnething really wrong there...

19. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    My dear, dear people of the Republic...
    welcome to the stupidity of GenCon and Wizards of the Coast.

The guy calls US geeks and such and then is the judge of the show.

Whatever!

20. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I smell a plot!

I wonder if Peter Atkinson, who was sitting next to him as another judge, knew what he had said in the paper? Although, if he (Mr A) had good hearing, he could not have missed my not-too-quiet comments to my fellow GenCon-goers.

Ah well, just goes to show there is no justice in this world!

21. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Who is Peter Atkinson?

22. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    Atkinson used to be the CEO of WotC, and now he runs Gen Con LLC - which does Gen Con and I believe they're going to do other cons throughout the year.

Jeff

23. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    [face_laugh] SWEET! I hope he got an earful! :D

24. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I honestly don't know who set up this shop, but it sure is funny!

[face_mischief]

25. Idaara

Apr 29, 2002
    Hmmm....somehow I feel cheated out of royalty checks...

*laughs* I think I'm going to have to buy me one of those, however. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.