main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Repost: OFFENSIVE MISUSE of title ability by the Administration

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Wattowatta, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I still don't understand, Reaper.

And honestly, Amadeus, despite having seen Platoon I didn't know dink was a racist term. But as I've said before, I don't believe that's the issue here. "Dink" would be an insult regardless of whether it is or is not a racial slur.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i'm very close to leaving the JC. why? i feel that the thread in questions shows the total lack of respects mods & admins shouldn't be showing to the users. also, i feel the addition of the titles was just giving mods & admins more cool things, & the sarcasm in dealing w/ the issue isn't very helpful. i know people will jump on the bandwagon & cry 'internet drama!'(as if it helps the situation, if it's internet drama, then why do must feel the need to point it out?) but i don't care. i'm very unhappy w/ the way my complaints have been treated.

DT

3. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    This is my fault.

I did this, I consulted no one, so this is entirely on my shoulders.

I'm not going to try to justify my doing it by citing the numerous malicious things DP has done to this site, as that's all relatively beside the point.

The bottom line is - I was using the title feature to experiment on font settings. The reason (although likely some of you will view this as an 'excuse', which won't surprise me) I chose DP was because it was the only alias I knew of off-hand that had 1 post, which was months old. Had I posted it on my username, it could potentially have screwed some things up.

Given the nature of our relationship with DP, and my personal dislike of the fellow (who is a banned serial troll who has hacked the forums, mind you), I thought it might be amusing to change the title to something ... fun. I had every intention of removing it after I determined the result of the coding. Why it was not removed isn't relevant, though there is a reason, but, honestly, those folks who are really complaining about this wouldn't care or believe it, regardless, so I see no point in even bothering to explain it.

Was it a misuse? Absolutely. It was a poor call on my part to use the word "dink" and leave it. I did not intentionally leave it.

It was a juvenille stunt, meant only for humor and code-testing.

I've left it up to the other mods to decide what needs to be done about this, if anything.

However, rest assured, no one else will be getting any other titles. It was a bad call on my part, and I humbly apologize for the overstep.

Vertical

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    I've also seen Platoon and I don't remember "dink" being used as a racial slur.

But anways, that's not the point of this thread.

5. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I think most mods are above this sort of behavior, but there are definitely some loose cannons in there whose conduct is questionable. Case in point: whoever labelled DP a "dink."

EDIT:
    Oh man... I was all ready to cite Vert as an example of a decent mod. Damn, this shoe leather tastes horrible!

Well I still know Vert's one of the good ones, despite this. I think his admission will back that up.

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for unbanning me, whoever did it. :)

I only have one question. Why is the thread in the Misc.Section still active?

I got banned for referring to that thread, so it seems logical for that thread to be locked and deleted.

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Okay BYOB, I'll try to make sense for once :)

i care. i think the mods have too many things over regular posters.

Is what was said. As if, they get nothing but goodness, and we get jack all. Which leads on to my comment :)

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    thank you very much Vertical. ;)

9. AmadeusExMachina

AmadeusExMachina Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Bleh..........it was an example. I was saying that if you're an American and you're at least 18 or so, the term shouldn't be outside of your knowledge, in terms of it being a racial slur.

Referencing Platoon was an example. Any number of movies dealing with the Nam use the term a few times. The fact that people are still arguing over whether or not it's a "known slur" is ridiculous, considering that I also said it wasn't a really huge deal. But apparently certain people here refuse to be culpable to anything unflattering AT ALL.

Oh well.

10. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    I'm 25. But... I do live in the Midwest. :p

11. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Well you got your apology. Is this drama over now?

12. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    in this one case, yes. but i still have problems w/ many things here @ the JC.

14. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    You're not alone in that viewpoint, DT.

15. GriffZ

May 27, 2001
    Well I don't live in America, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance of the term. :p

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    i know, BYOB.

17. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    well, we've had a problem, an admission, an apology, and lots of drama...

time to lock it, guys..

until the next drama flares...

18. AmadeusExMachina

May 19, 2002
    Yea......kudos to Vertical for owning up and doing so graciously and without any sarcasm or spite. I hope whoever's in charge of you sees fit to let it go, all things considered. It's not like you'll do it again or anything.

19. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    AmadeusExMachina:

Do you know what a Newf is? Or for that matter, a twofour? Do you know what someone means when they say they want a double-double?

And of course, I'm sure you know what a frog is, and what goddamns are.

The first three are all common nouns here in Nova Scotia, that most people over 8 know. The last two are internationally known. How many do you know off-hand?

20. NathanDahlin

NathanDahlin Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2000
    Master Salty, the thread exists as evidence. I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and thanks for the post, Vert. I wasn't going to name you unless you came forward, since most mods knew about the title change and didn't have a problem with it, myself included. The blame isn't exclusively yours, by any means. None of the mods objected since we all thought it'd just be a temporary thing.

21. AmadeusExMachina

May 19, 2002
    Gandolf, I realize you were using them as examples, in order to further argue a really weak and "beside the point" angle, but as a mod, is it really a good example to post a message full of (what I'd imagine are) offensive terms?

22. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the clarification Nathan.

23. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    Vertical - I, for one, appreciate you coming forward and taking responsibility for this latest round of Internet Drama. :)

And Empress is right...it's about time to lock 'er up. ;)

24. GriffZ

May 27, 2001
    None of the terms Gandolf listed are offensive. Well, "Newf" might be...

;)

25. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Who you calling a newf!!!!! :mad:

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.