main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Repost/small rewrite: The Light Inside. Qui, Obi, Dex ** Ch5 UP 122106** Partial AU.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Valairy Scot, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Title: The Light Inside
    Author(s): Valairy_Scot
    Timeframe: pre-Saga, Obi's 8
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Dex
    Genre: Drama
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn,
    Summary: During the holiday season, Qui-Gon discovers that his new and young padawan understands that the greatest gift one can give another is that from the heart.
    Notes: Loosely inspired by an O Henry story, I posted this 5 chapter story last year. I have made some revisions. This is not a glitzy seasonal bauble of a story, it has its dark and gritty side to contrast to the seasonal cheer.

The Light Inside

Prologue:

It was nearly Winter Solstice, and the days were short. Across most of Coruscant, lights burned more brightly than usual. In the more prosperous areas, the extra illumination came from seasonal lights and extravagant displays. In other areas, the light of the season shone in less visible ways: not blaring for recognition, but within the hearts and souls of those beings who had little else to offer but their time and small deeds of caring.

With a hollow clang, some object of unknown origin battered against durasteel bars and skidded off down the street, chased by other detritus blown about by the wind. The boy turned his head to look, but saw nothing he needed to be alert to. He frowned a little, but had no other reaction. At his side, his adult companion appeared not to hear, with not even a twitch of a hand to betray otherwise.

Elsewhere, not far from this quiet place of deepening twilight, cheery lights twinkled in festive apartments and ostentatious displays of seasonal extravagance decorated public buildings. From somewhere out of the mists of time, a tradition decreed that twinkling strands of light mark this season to brighten the long, dark evenings. Coruscant was never truly dark these days, with the lights of never-ceasing traffic and lights from the many buildings, but the tradition had continued.

A tradition that was fast fading away was the celebrating of the season with the exchange of small gifts to family and close friends: crafted, baked, shaped by sentient hands for the delight of others, its purpose the recognition of and cementing of social ties and family bonds, dating back to a forgotten time when the planet had been largely rural. Gift giving, once of the heart had become of the purse -almost a competition now - the more expensive, the better was the new way of thinking taking hold.

The simple ways had been within the reach of all, purchased in the coinage of love and affection. A pauper or a politician, each had the same coinage.

No longer.

Simple joys, bright smiles, genuine delight was too little found as citizens bustled, hustled and tried to outdo each other. A consequence, an evolution some might say while others would not, of the growth of the Galactic Republic. As the Republic had grown, so had its center of government, and on Coruscant the once pastoral fields had been replaced years ago by one huge city that had grown to encompass the entirety of the planet. Recollections of grassy fields and living in rhythm with nature?s cycle reigned in the memories of no one living.

As the planet was increasingly paved over, built upon and up, the Republic?s richest and most powerful beings had gravitated to it. Some had made it home, some only took up residence: competition became more common than cooperation. Those earlier traditions of simplicity had become public displays or grandiose displays of wealth. The Senate Building was resplendent with imported displays; the Senators and staff harried with preparations for forums to gather prestige and gain influence ? these professional gatherings masquerading as holiday parties.

Winter Solstice was a season of gaiety, bubbling laughter and cheeriness; a bright and sparkling veneer overlying reality for those with plenty and seeking more. For those with too little, it remained less spoiled, truly the time to celebrate what little they had and with whom they share

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Beautiful! Please put me on your PM list for this one, I don't want to miss a post! ;)

?Some beings choose to live outside society?s social net, and some ? well, life was unkind to them. They have nowhere to go, so they live on the street.?

?Master? Is it okay??? the boy?s words trailed off.

?Is it okay, what, Obi-Wan??

?To feel?I feel sad for them,? Obi-Wan said softly.

?That is kind of you.?

?But kindness doesn?t change anything, does it? Are we not supposed to do something about it? Aren?t we supposed to help those we can??

Qui-Gon?s eyes crinkled at the boy?s little speech and earnest eyes. He pulled the boy into a hug. ?Spoken like a Jedi, Obi-Wan, but not everyone can be helped.?

?I understand, but can?t we help those we see who need help?? The boy?s look was almost pleading.

?What would you have us do, little one??

?I don?t know,? the boy whispered and looked hopefully up at his master, confident he would have an answer. ?They look so shabbily dressed, and they don?t feel happy. Could we bring the pretty lights to them? Would that make them happy??

The little face was so earnest, that Qui-Gon had to stifle a smile in case his young charge thought he was laughing at him. In truth, he was deeply touched by the child?s compassion.

Lovely. [face_love] =D=

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww...that was so sweet.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. joboofoo

joboofoo Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2006
    Beautifully writen. I love the intro.

Can't wait for more.

I did find one little error though;

"At his side, his adult companion appeared ignorant of the noise, with not even a twitch of a hand to note he had been aware of the noise."

You use noise twice in this sentence, not sure if its grammarically wrong but it does sounds awkward to repeat the word in the same sentence. Might want to change the second noise to it.

Great writing.

5. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Very, very nice! They are really cute, both of them [face_love]

6. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Ah, this is lovely!

?Were all the beings happy where the lights where?? he asked, nodding gently in agreement as Obi-Wan shook his head. ?You see, my young Padawan, having lights or not doesn?t make one happy or not. It?s what light shines in here,? and he touched the palm of his hand to the boy?s heart, grinning as the boy looked down with wide-eyed wonder.

?There?s light in there?? he blurted out.

Indeed there is, Qui-Gon thought, the Light of the Force shines brightly in you, my young one, but all he said was, ?Don?t you feel it??

A small hand overlapped his master?s; a look of great concentration covered his face.

The boy finally nodded slowly and pointed to Qui-Gon?s own chest. ?It shines in you, too, Master,? he said solemnly.

?As two beings of light, then, we will do what we can do,? the Jedi promised, deciding to postpone his planned detour. ?Today, I think it?s time we returned to the Temple before you get any more tired or hungry.? He hoisted the child to his shoulders and Obi-Wan wrapped his arms around his neck and snuggled against him.

This is beautiful. I love how you showed that some people misinterpret the true meaning of the holidays, sacrificing meaning for money. It's all too true. And Obi's innocence is wonderful. If you've got a PM list, I'd love to be added. Great work; I'm looking forward to more!

=D=

7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    VaderLVR64: Update!

Kelia: Glad you liked it.

joboofoo: Thanks for spurring me on - I never did like that sentence as written but just couldn't wrap my mind about it.

Fifilla: Of course they're cute - they're Qui and Obi - and this is fluff.

Star-Foozle: The contrast, of course, is on purpose. I made it AU, too, so that Obi could be that young and innocent.

Chapter 2.

Over a last half year or so, Qui-Gon had hung around the Temple at Yoda?s behest, looking over the initiates, but prepared to wait another year or two before making any decisions as to whether or not he would take another Padawan. From the beginning, Obi-Wan had charmed him. He had not been awed by the several adult Jedi there to look over the young initiates, as the other initiates had been.

Qui-Gon remembered the young initiate as a small child of four or so, walking up to him one day and announcing that one day soon he was going to be the Jedi?s ?padwan.? His current Padawan had been with him, and given the child a dismissive stare that had amused Qui-Gon, one reason he had remembered the incident. He was sure that Toklas remembered it, too: he had been the recipient of a light lecture about his lack of courtesy. Toklus had been quite embarrassed at his possessiveness of his master when gently reminded of his need to be civil to all.

The boy seemed just as solemn as he had years ago, though the Initiate Master had whispered to him that the young boy could be a bit of a handful of times. The way she had chuckled and looked fondly at the boy told Qui-Gon much about his temperament.

The boy had been practicing a lightsaber drill with another initiate, forehead creased in concentration and lips pushed out. He was trying hard, that was very apparent, too hard in fact. He reached so hungrily for a connection to the Force, that he squeezed it away from him. Qui-Gon wanted to go over to him and tell him not to try so hard, to relax and let the Force flow through him, but instead watched with a grin on his face and his arms crossed across his chest.

Yoda had come into the room and watched the exercise, turning to glance at Qui-Gon. His ears curled and he let out a small grunt, preparing to say something, when the match ended as the other initiate took advantage of Obi-Wan?s loss of concentration, for the boy had looked to the side as he became aware of Qui-Gon standing with Yoda.

The lightsaber instructor gave a gentle reminder with a slight clearing of her throat, and Obi-Wan turned back to the other initiate for the obligatory bow marking the end of the match. There was a slight flush of shame on his face for his loss, for he had been ahead on points until he had lost to the other initiate. Catching the instructor?s smile and tacit permission, he had bowed to the two Jedi, then come right over to Qui-Gon and said with quiet certainty, ?You?re going to be my Master.?

Yoda had ?hmmphed,? and quietly slipped away, his Force presence radiating quiet approval.

Qui-Gon had grinned at Obi-Wan?s unusual approach and asked the child what made him think that. Without hesitation, he said, ?You?re supposed to be. I know that.? His eyes, so trusting, looked deep into Qui-Gon?s with a strange mixture of joy and sureness. Even the Force shone through him at that moment.

When Qui-Gon had looked into his own heart, he knew it, too, and before he quite recognized what he was doing, he was committed to his second padawan, and indeed, quite content that events had played out as they had.

For the next several weeks, he had gone around the Temple with dancing eyes and an ill-concealed grin plastered across his face, for which he took quite a bit of good-natured teasing from his friends. He endured it all with good cheer, and took delight in getting to know his new padawan. Toklus had made a point of dropping by to greet the boy, and charmed him with stories of his time with Qui-Gon and made up stories that had Obi-Wan?s eyes wide with wonder, though he had sneaked a grin at

8. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Aw, this is so cute. I love it! Keep writing! :) I'm on break (finally) so I get to read all I want!

9. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Yay, update!

?Oh, my eyes, my eyes?your weapon has blinded me!? Toklus pretended to be blinded and reached for the boy, tickling him, and letting himself be vanquished in the wrestling match that followed, with Obi-Wan triumphant and giggling as he sat on the young knight?s chest, ?pinning? him to the floor.

?Jedi don?t giggle,? Qui-Gon weighed in, and Obi-Wan sat up with a worried look on his face. He wanted to be a Jedi more than anything and didn?t want to do the wrong thing. Taking advantage of the distraction his former master provided, Toklus slid out from under the boy and tackled him with a whispered, ?Lose your focus, lose the fight, young padawan brother.?

Obi-Wan pursed his lips and nodded solemnly. Lessons were taught in many ways. He wanted his master to know he was a serious Jedi apprentice and understood. Qui-Gon and Toklus studiously avoided looking at each other, amused at his suddenly earnest demeanor yet not wanting to laugh at him.

*squee* The cuteness! I love it! [face_love]

Qui-Gon had decided ?moderation? was something he would need to teach the boy. Since Qui-Gon himself was not known for a moderate approach to things, this was going to be a new experience for the both of them.

Haha, too true, too true. I'm liking your AU Obi alot here. It's nice to see him so young and innocent, as opposed to the rather more angsty older version. And yes, the whole contrst thing is lovely. I like Tolkus, too...he seems like a sweet guy.

Nice work, and I'm eagerly looking forward to more!

=D=

10. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Catching the instructor?s smile and tacit permission, he had bowed to the two Jedi, then come right over to Qui-Gon and said with quiet certainty, ?You?re going to be my Master.?
    Yoda had ?hmmphed,? and quietly slipped away, his Force presence radiating quiet approval.
    Qui-Gon had grinned at Obi-Wan?s unusual approach and asked the child what made him think that. Without hesitation, he said, ?You?re supposed to be. I know that.? His eyes, so trusting, looked deep into Qui-Gon?s with a strange mixture of joy and sureness. Even the Force shone through him at that moment.
    When Qui-Gon had looked into his own heart, he knew it, too, and before he quite recognized what he was doing, he was committed to his second padawan, and indeed, quite content that events had played out as they had.

Really an unusual approach - but very successful :D Little Obi knows exactly how to catch Qui-Gon.

And I loved the banter between Obi and his Padawan brother, very nice!

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    WONDERFUL! =D=

He kept his early lessons simple, preparing the boy to see the wider world outside the Temple walls. Taking his padawan out to ?see the world,? would teach the boy many lessons without the appearance of instruction, for Obi-Wan was quick to observe, think and understand what was going on around him.

One thing the Jedi had quickly learned was that his new apprentice had a hearty appetite for both food and knowledge. He was fearless, but rarely reckless, tending to cautious observance before jumping into anything unfamiliar. Once he had committed to anything, recklessly or cautiously, he dove in with total concentration, almost to the point of excluding anything else.

Qui-Gon had decided ?moderation? was something he would need to teach the boy. Since Qui-Gon himself was not known for a moderate approach to things, this was going to be a new experience for the both of them.

Loved it! [face_laugh]

=D=

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Sorry all for lack of responses/PM's but I have no power at home and have to squeeze in a little internet time at work. Yup, I'm east of Seattle with lights 2 blocks away but none for me.

Chapter Three

Several days after that outing, Qui-Gon took Obi-Wan back to the bowels of Coruscant, his less than affectionate nickname for that part of town, to meet a friend of his, this time taking a somewhat more direct route.

?Is he a Jedi?? Obi-Wan asked with interest, when informed of this.

?No, not at all,? Qui-Gon laughed. ?Though his heart is as big as a Jedi?s, he?s a bit of a reformed rogue and genuine good being.?

Obi-Wan absorbed this information with a small frown that Qui-Gon had learned meant his apprentice was deep in thought. Qui-Gon watched, amused, as Obi-Wan looked up with a bright smile and nodded. The boy was quick; he understood the implicit lesson intended: that beings could change and should be judged on their heart and not past actions.

In the flat gray light of a cheerless day, with cold rain splattering against the pavement and all color washed from the air, the two walked down the street, huddled within their cloaks and hoods pulled close around their heads. Qui-Gon half expected his young apprentice to complain of the cold and wet, but he had forgotten the simple delight a young boy took in stomping through puddles and splashing about.

?Don?t get too wet, Obi-Wan,? he cautioned the boy. ?I don?t want you in wet clothes all day. Maybe we can find a big puddle for you to splash in back in the Temple gardens later, where you can dry out afterwards.?

?Yes, Master,? the boy agreed, and with a quick glance upwards with mischievous eyes, he walked with exaggerated caution through the next puddle, to break into an impish grin as Qui-Gon merely shook his head, wry amusement quirking up the corners of his mouth.

?Here we here, my young one,? the Jedi put a hand on the boy?s shoulder as he was about to pass by a storefront tucked into the middle of one block.

?A diner? Dex?s Diner?? Obi-Wan?s eyes were big as he registered the sign on the window of the building that his master indicated he was to enter. He turned his face up to his master?s in puzzlement, to be met by his master?s amused grin.

?Go on in,? he indicated to the boy, holding the door open. ?Hey, Dex!? he bellowed as he followed.

A huge head poked out of the kitchen, and the mouth opened in a wide grin of welcome, showing a mouthful of teeth. Dex was a Besalisk, a huge being with four arms and a large head. Large jowls hung below a wide mouth spanning the width of the face, and his eyes were set wide apart under big brow ridges on the creased face. His head rose to a narrow point.

?Qui-Gon, no surprise to see you!? he roared, and as he noted the small boy next to the big Jedi?s side, he lowered his voice from a roar to a growl. ?Got a new apprentice with you, eh? Come on in, boy, come on in and make yourself comfortable. I?ll be right out in a minute.?

Qui-Gon pointed Obi-Wan to a seat on a tattered though mended seat just as the big being pushed through the swing doors and enveloped Qui-Gon in a huge hug that could have broken his bones if the intent were hostile. To Obi-Wan?s amazement, his master was pounding the big being on the back in return. He had never seen his master so demonstrative before this and stared in wonder.

?Dex, you old reprobate!? Qui-Gon was greeting his friend, before pulling away and directing his attention to the wide-eyed boy. ?Dex, this is Obi-Wan Kenobi, my new Padawan as you?ve already guessed. Obi-Wan, this is Dexter Jettster.?

?Pleased to meet you, boy,? Dex tried unsuccessfully to lower his roar into something less intimidating, and offered one of his four hands gently, prepared for the boy to recoil at the sight of that huge, beefy hand coming at him. To his surprise, the boy let the big being grab his hand without fear for a quick shake, and then quickly bowed as his hand was released.

?Pleased to meet you, Dex, sir,? he said in a child?s high

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Chapter 4

As Obi-Wan?s eyes adjusted to the darkness, he saw that the small street he was entering was more like an alley. It stank, of old garbage and urine, of alcohol. Obi-Wan wanted to gag, but he resolutely pushed the feeling away. He probed with all his senses, a doorway to his left, boarded up, a trash container to his right overflowing with things he?d rather not try to identify. Ahead, and to his left, a tangled mass of discarded crates ? and in them, he saw a flash of human flesh.

Reaching for his courage, Obi-Wan crept forward and peered inside. With a defiant cry, the boy he had been following shrank away from him.

?I?m not going to hurt you,? Obi-Wan said quickly. ?You stole food from Dex?s. Stealing isn?t good.?

Slowly, the boy?s arms lowered, and he looked ashamed. ?My mama told me never to steal, but I?m so hungry. I haven?t eaten in several days.?

?Several days?? Obi-Wan exclaimed in amazement, and his anger quickly dropped away. He noticed the boy was shivering in badly mended clothes and his feet might as well have been bare, his footwear was that worn, tied together with bits and pieces. At this look, the boy curled into himself and stared at Obi-Wan with a challenge flashing in his eyes as he wolfed down the last of the food from the plate.

?You?re a Jedi kid, aren?t you? Live in that Temple of yours, all pampered and happy, right? Well, life?s not so good for everybody else. Maybe I should let you turn me in to the local authorities ? at least I?d get warm shelter and food if I was arrested.?

?What do you mean?? Obi-Wan was confused.

The kid looked Obi-Wan up and down and his lips curled in scorn. ?Some of us don?t have such a nice life as you, kid. Welcome to my home, such as it is. I?d share my dinner with you, but I?ve eaten it all. Sorry.? He didn?t sound sorry at all.

?You?you live here? Why? Where?s your family??

?I have no family,? the boy muttered. ?Mama died a few months ago. Here?s where I live now.?

?Oh,? Obi-Wan said softly. He didn?t know what else to say, until he got an idea. ?There?s a group that finds homes for, ah, kids without a family. Until they find homes for them, they take care of the kids. Haven?t you heard of it??

?Don?t need no one to take care of me,? the boy muttered angrily. ?I take care of myself.?

?Yeah, by stealing and living like this,? Obi-Wan retorted. ?Look, there?s help out there if you ask for it. Just ask anybody ? any Jedi, any security person.?

?I don?t trust anyone,? the boy blurted. ?Not even the Jedi.?

?Hey, why not!? Obi-Wan protested, hurt at this slight. ?We help people.?

?You help the rich, not us ordinary folks,? the boy spat. ?You Jedi in your big Temple, fed and clothed by the Republic, at the Senate?s beck and call ? what do you know of the real world? You Jedi just ignore us folks here, just like them politicians.?

Obi-Wan drew back, a little hurt and a little angry at the accusation. He tried to remain calm as Jedi were supposed to do. Trying to sound reasonable, he asked, ?Then why was my master and I helping Dex feed people? I admit I didn?t really know folks like you existed until now! I?m just a kid, still, and the Jedi do care.?

The boy?s eyes dropped, and he muttered a rude apology under his breath. ?Okay, maybe some of you Jedi ain?t so bad, but most of you don?t ever come around here where some folks could really use their help. None of you helped my mama and she?s dead now; no one even cares. What killed her is still around, killing other folks.?

?I?I?m sorry,? Obi-Wan muttered. He couldn?t imagine what loosing one?s mama would be like. How would he feel if his master died? Especially if he was kicked out of the Temple, the only home he knew. He didn?t like that thought at all and shoved it away. ?Maybe my master can help.?

There was no question about the scorn in the boy?s eyes. ?Mama wasn?t killed by no man, Jedi boy. She was killed by hard work and too much spice. I told her to stay out of them places?but she said she would do ? even that ? if it k

14. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh, sweet little Obi-Wan, not knowing the harsher realities of life yet, that it affects even children. It's terrible that the boy's mother had to do that; even more terrible that the boy knows what it was she had to do. I have a feeling Obi-Wan might not get back to Qui-Gon so easily. And I don't think Qui-Gon is going to be very pleased with his Padawan's behavior, either. o_O

Beautiful job, Valairy. =D=

15. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    LuvEwan: I have a feeling Obi-Wan might not get back to Qui-Gon so easily. And I don't think Qui-Gon is going to be very pleased with his Padawan's behavior, either. Well, not so true. This is just a short, holiday-ish story.

BTW: power came back on at 6 pm 122006. It would have been a week as of 10pm tonight, 122106. My boss still doesn't have power. This storm really hammered Puget Sound.

Chapter 5

?Obi-Wan?? the Jedi called softly, insistently into his comlink. This time, there was a reply.

?Master?? the boy said. His tone was hesitant, as though he expected a tongue-lashing.

The Jedi?s heart gave a great leap of joy and he smiled with relief. His voice harsh with worry, he asked, ?Where are you, Padawan? I?ve been worried about you. You took off without a word and didn?t contact me. That was wrong of you.?

?I?I?m sorry, Master. I didn?t think I was gone long. I don?t know where I am, exactly, but I know how I got here, so I?ll retrace my steps.?

?Keep in touch with me, Obi-Wan,? the Jedi warned gently, stifling an urge to tap his fingers against his leg, or even race after the boy. His Padawan was certainly dutiful, he had to admit, reporting each corner he went around, when he was going up a stairwell, across a roof, down a ladder. At each report, Qui-Gon waited anxiously for the next report, or the arrival of a small boy he had come to care for very much. He didn?t know if he would shake the boy in exasperation, or hug him in relief when he showed up.

Finally, the Jedi?s pacing ceased as he heard soft steps coming towards him. He whirled, dropping to one knee to greet the boy. One look at him and any lecture he was going to give the boy for running off went out of his mind.

?Obi-Wan, you?re shivering and you?re all wet. Come here, child,? Qui-Gon insisted. ?Padawan, you?ve lost your cloak again.?

?No, Master,? his teeth chattered.

?Jedi don?t lie, Obi-Wan. You?re always losing your cloak, so it?s no big deal if you have lost another one, other than leaving yourself unprotected in the cold. It is a big deal to lie, if you have.?

The boy shook his head, turning beseeching eyes to his master. ?But I truly have not, Master Qui-Gon.?

?Then where is it? And where were you and why didn?t you answer the comlink?? The Jedi stooped down and searched the boy?s face, for the answer was not immediately forthcoming.

?I gave it?to a boy who had no coat,? Obi-Wan confessed shakily, looking up through an errant lock of hair that had fallen over his eyes, seeing if Qui-Gon was angry. But the Jedi was surprised, not mad.

?That was kind of you, Obi-Wan, though perhaps not well thought out. What if you catch a cold in this weather?

?Then I am sick for a few days in my comfortable bed. But that little boy could spend all winter outside with no protection. He lives in crates in an alley and has to steal for food. He stole a plate of food from Dex and I wanted to make him give it back. I was mad at him but now I feel sorry for him, and we Jedi are supposed to help people. A cold would be a small price to pay to save just one life, would it not?? His eyes were pleading for acceptance of his decision.

Touched deeply, Qui-Gon scooped the boy into his arms and straightened as Obi-Wan tightened his arms around his neck and smiled contentedly. As he stood upright, he saw the boy?s bare feet swinging free.

?Oh, Obi-Wan, your boots! Did you give them up, too?? he asked with a mix of dismay and pride. The boy nodded and buried his face deeper against Qui-Gon?s shoulder, mumbling something that Qui-Gon interpreted as, ?not sorry, even if they weren?t mine to give.?

?That was very foolish of you, yet I?m very proud of you, child,? Qui-Gon whispered in the silky tousle of red-blond hair tucked under his chin. ?You gave what you had to give without thought of yourself. I?m sure your teachers will be very proud of you, too.?

?No...no, Master Qui-Gon, I didn?t do it for credit. Don?t want? praise,? he trailed off as he yawned and snuggled d

16. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

That was cute and mushy and I loved every chapter of it

It is alawys nice to think that they had some wonderful times before Naboo=D=

17. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Awesome update! It's so cute that Obi-Wan gave up his boots and cloak! *waits for next update* :)

18. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaawwwww, what a very nice holiday story. Thanks for the repost! I didn't see it last year. Little Obi-Wan is terribly earnest, giving away his things. And Qui-Gon so understanding. I liked the little thought in the middle with Qui-Gon wanting the Council to disengage from the Senate, too.

I'm glad you got your power back! For some odd reason it was out here for a few hours, but not for the kind of storm you were having there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.