Beyond Reprieve - NJO (Dark Journey) missing scene - Jag, Tenel Ka - oneshot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by LexiLupin, Feb 15, 2012.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. LexiLupin Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Setting: NJO- during Dark Journey - just before Anakin's funeral, a look at just how, exactly, Tenel Ka and Jag ended up attending the funeral together.
    Summary: I was skimming through DJ recently and the relationship between Tenel Ka and Jag really intrigued me, not least because it culminates in TK trusting the command of the Hapes military forces in Jag's hands. So I figured a viggie exploring the onset of that friendship(?) was in order. So here it is - :p

Reprieve

Colonel Jagged Fel turned sharply at the sound of rustling cloth, hand dropping instinctively to the empty holster at his side, cursing- not for the first time- the Hapan outlook towards men that meant he might start a galactic incident if he insisted on carrying his blaster in the palace. A quiet voice- somber, even tones that weren?t quite monotonous- met him before the intruder came into view.

?My apologies, Colonel.? A familiar figure stepped through from behind the heavy veil that blocked the alcove from the main corridor. ?Solitude can be a difficult thing to come by, in this palace.?

Jag stared at her unsurely a moment, but the Chume?da?s face was as inscrutable as ever. Setting his face in a dry sort of humor, he countered quietly. ?From all I know of the Consortium and its ever-present political entanglements, it seems unlikely to me that true solitude is found much of anywhere.?

Her eyes widened marginally, and he wondered if he?d managed to insult the princess of the Hapes Cluster in record time; but then a slight twitch to her lip suggested that she found the comment amusing. ?An astute observation, Colonel. And an unfortunately accurate one.? Her grey eyes drifted about their isolated alcove. ?Nevertheless- I think we have found a reprieve, at present.?

?What can I do for you, Your Highness??

Her face flickered in what might have been the barest sign of irritation or disappointment, but she was silent as she came forward to stare out the viewport by his side. He turned and looked back to the lights of the city beyond and below them, as he had been doing for several minutes before her arrival, uninterested in returning to the banquet after the run-in with Ta?a Chume.

?It is Tenel Ka, please, Colonel. Let us dispense with the formalities.?

It was his first personal encounter with the young princess, so he had little source for comparison- but she seemed stiff, uncomfortable, her hands held determinedly by her sides almost as though she was forcing herself not to pull at the elegant gown in which she was dressed. In fact? she almost looked as uncomfortable with the attire as Jaina Solo had during the banquet.

No wonder both women were so anxious to leave it then.

?As you wish,? he nodded towards her. ?Jag, then.?

?You seem troubled, Jag.?

He smiled politely. ?These are troubling times for all, Tenel Ka.?

?You have left the party.?

?As have you.?

Hesitating a moment, she turned to face him, face set seriously, looking far older than her teenage years. ?You departed with Jaina.? He made no acknowledgement, simply watched the stoic redhead as he tried to guess whether she implied something by it. ?I wonder what has happened to her.?

?Oh.? He blinked. ?She was intercepted by your? by Ta?a Chume.? The disappointment that flitted across her face was unmistakable that time. ?I?m sorry,? he frowned curiously, ?I was of the impression that the Solos were well known to your family.?

?They are,? she assured him. ?My disquiet pertains to Anakin Solo?s funeral. I had hoped that your departure signaled her intention to attend. That now seems? unlikely.?

?I?m sorry,? he truly was. ?I did not know.?

?Did you know Anakin??

?No.? He hesitated. ?Nor Jacen.?

The Jedi turned back to the window with a suddenness that suggested she was not as impervious to emotion as her stiff exterior suggested.

Jag felt an inexplicable urge to place a comforting hand on the young woman?s shoulder; he then wondered how long he might be expected to keep his hand, should he act on the instinct. ?Those of you who
  2. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Love the missing scene.

Jag is always a nice character
  3. Sticks Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh, lovely! There is not nearly enough Tenel Ka in fanfic (or profic, for that matter), and I recall being struck by the suddenness with which she handed over the fleet to Jag in DJ as well. Of course those two would get along like a house on fire. His compliment to her near the end was spot on. Great scene!
  4. Jedi_Lover Force Ghost

star 5
    I like this missing scene. Very nicely written.
  5. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Stunning and brilliant characterizations and marvelous dialogue =D= =D=

Fantabulous missing scene.

You write TK extremely well, Lexi @};- - and that can at times be daunting LOL

Your Jag is of course scrumptious ;)

[face_laugh]

Speaking so unbiasedly as I do [face_laugh]

[:D]

!!
  6. Jade_Max Force Ghost

star 5
    Tenel Ka's 'voice' in this rings very true to her character; I love a good piece with her in it. As I'm not familiar with Jag as much as I could be, I felt he was very much in character too...

The politics are always interesting no matter what side of the Galaxy you're on, but the fact she's forced to consider his safety because of walking with her is kinda sad. Especially when she's just lost Jacen *sighs*

I do like this missing scene - it fits very well into the book :)

Good job!
  7. pinkpearl89 Jedi Master

star 2
    I quite enjoyed this. It always seemed to me that Jag and Tenel Ka would actually have a lot in common and understand each other's upbringing. I think, in a GFFA world where opposites didn't always attract :p, the two of them could have made a good pair.

Although I'm quite happy to see them beginning a friendship here -- I wonder why that hasn't really been used in the current novels [face_thinking]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade