main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reproductive technologies in (and appropriate for) Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Trip, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Star Wars simply isn't futuristic in its depiction of social norms, and high profile tech. Also remember the GFFA is a very conservative society-it just doesn't think in terms of the next gadget is so amazing. I think I pointed out in the IU lecture thread that the GFFA is arguably an oligarchy-from which most of the main characters come from. Oligarchies by nature aren't very forward looking. Oh and I meant 19th century-with all the incredible power megacorporations wield over galactic life IU.

I'm sure such technologies(reproductive) exist they just aren't evenly distributed and probably aren't viewed well by large sections of the population. The GFFA is incredibly uneven-the core and inner rim-very tech savvy with incredibly dense populations, the kid rim to outer rim and beyond-not near as high population and technological progress. You have sliding scale Coruscant>Kashyyk>Naboo>Tatooine>Hoth>Korriban>Rakata Prime-in terms of technology and demography.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest Star Wars is like this-it's not Star Trek, or even something more cynical like BSG=it's very anachronistic(OOU reasons already stated) and given its epic history probably not-given to large scale change-sure you have wars, plagues, and crises-but that doesn't change the consciousness of beings stretched over billions of stars millions of light years and over twenty millennia.

2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I thought it was interesting that they apparently made Camie and Windy into siblings in the new canon (unless they were just taking away Windy's last name and giving it to Camie, which would be odd). Maybe they could make Biggs be Luke's older brother in this scenario. Make it even less fair in Luke's eyes that his big brother gets the chance to go to the Academy, but Owen and Beru won't let Luke do so also.

Ulicus likes this.
  3. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    My headcanon is that Owen and Beru couldn't afford a second child but were perfectly happy with just having Luke.
    I thought something was said in the movies that Bail's wife wasn't able to have children but I bet that's just my imagination patching over the empty plot details. I do prefer that Owen and Beru chose not to have children as it just seems too boring and repetitive that both sets of foster parents had the same issue with fertility, especially as Owen and Beru were a young couple when they got Luke, while Leia's foster parents were older and thus more likely to have problems conceiving.
    I think the explanation that two parent cloning is possible but it's prohibitively expensive so rarely ever happens - and single parent cloning while less rare and expensive, isn't something that happens much - is a reasonable outlook on the situation.
    And for what it's worth, as a life long Star Wars fans it means the world to me to have LGBT diversity included in the comics and novels (and hopefully movies and tv shows someday). Growing up without seeing any gay role models or any kind of diversity can be pretty alienating and hurtful. Star Wars should be an inclusive place where all people are welcome.

4. Azure_Angelus

Azure_Angelus Jedi Master star 1

Sep 13, 2008
    In Star Trek, they have "binary cloning", which could be used to help gay or infertile couples have their own biological kids. I see no reason why Star Wars can't have something similar. In fact, I don't understand why Vader needs to be all those prosthetics. Why not just clone new limbs?

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the best way to handle this is, "The technology is probably there to do just about anything but it's spread across the galaxy with different planets having different mores and taboos regarding it."

I think on Coruscant, we'd probably see same-sex couples and children.

Then again, I also see alien-human couples as having kids.

Endor_boy likes this.