main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic Assault Ships/Star Destroyers

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Matt-trooper, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I think that it was a bit silly that the Republic Star Destroyers had to double as dropships. They should've been equipped with dropships so the capital ships themselves didn't have to land on the surface. If the republic fleet could've stayed in orbit, they could've engaged the sepratist fleet and strike a major blow at the enemy before another battle could begin.

Your thoughts

2. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    It seems that they did just fine as it was.

3. slobadog

slobadog Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Fine,no.

4. Nkenobi

Nkenobi Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    Because it looks cool when they land, and forces spill out of them ^.^
    and I am sure they had many just fly in to the atmosphere and drop some gunships, then went back into orbet.

5. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Remember, Geonosis was a rush job of an invasion. They obviously did not have drop ships at that time that were able to carry the SPHL-T (in the pre-vis doc for ATOC I saw a brief unfinished shot of large cranes moving them from the ships' hold, onto the planet's surface. I do agree, though, that it is strange for a large capital ship to land, since it would limit the vessels size (the Executor would probably collapse under its own weight if it tried to land in gravity). The other problem is the extra room for withdrawing the landing gear-and the RAS has substantial landing gear. It will be interesting to see if the Victory class SDs land in ROTS.

6. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    You know if there'd been powerful defnse turrets on Geonosis the capital ships would've been shot down easily as they came into land.They were pretty much sitting ducks as they deployed troops.

I don't get why some ships after deploying their troops didn't go back into orbit to stop,or at least destroy some of, the sepratist fleet.

7. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Those ships are awesome. I like the way they were designed. They can be used as Crusiers, carry fighters or carry troops. They are awesome. Kinda like a universal capital ship.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    You should see the Venator-class Star Destroyers in the Clone Wars micro series. They actually split down the middle to reveal a huge hanger bay. It really cool.

9. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    They can be used as Crusiers, carry fighters or carry troops.

That, and they are immediate ground bases. A nice defensive place to rally troops, tend to the injured, resupply and feed, all in a quite well armored and armed base.

10. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    On the website for LEC game "Republic Commando", it says that Acclamator class carriers were in short supply, so eventually, they did come out with a dropship that was launched from the Acclamator.

11. Arch_Clone_Trooper

Arch_Clone_Trooper Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    when the are used as splitting in 2 they are actually just a rip off of this old anima movie called RoboTech where the carrier opens in the middle and fighters come out but it still looks awsome and yes they will have a dropship version that fits in the main capital but i dont see how it would work. They would need a bigger capital ship to carry the large dropships so each dropship could carry enoungh men, at's, and other units into a battle and be able to take care of themselves. In episode 21 of the clone wars on cartoon network u can see the comparison is all wrong but even if it was right there is no way they would be able to have dropships in the capital ships.

just my little thought

12. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    "That, and they are immediate ground bases. A nice defensive place to rally troops, tend to the injured, resupply and feed, all in a quite well armored and armed base."

Yes, and can hover over the surface to provide CLOSE airsupport with its big guns.

13. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    It doesn't need to hover. It's turbolasers can accurately target the ground from orbit (hence Ozzell's declaration that the energy shield is strong enough to deflect any bombardment). Plus the RAS has 4 large torpedo tubes that can reign down Tantive IV sized warheads from orbit.

14. wogglesworth

wogglesworth Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2003
    I just think they are amazing to have some kind of device on them that prevented anyone on Geonosis from looking up and seeing them until they were under 300 meters above the ground.

15. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Sensor jamming is the only real answer for that. Although in the screenplay that appeared in the "art of ATOC" there was this bit about how if you could power down your ship to a minimum level, and travel slow and strait, you could fool Geonosian space traffic control into thinking you were just a meteor falling to the planet from its rocky ring. Although sensor/communication jamming is vital to any invasion so the ones that spot the ships first can't call and tell anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.