main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic Assult Cruiser

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Rogue_1, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_1

Rogue_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2003
    Is the Republic Assult Cruiser the same as a Victory Class Star Destroyer?

2. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    yes. it is an early model of the Star Destroyer

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I don't think that they're the exact same. The Star Destroyer might be based on it, or might be a newer model.

4. Rogue_1

Jul 3, 2003
    you think so? I thought it was too when I saw AOTC for the first time.

5. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    sorry to be rude, Yoda-Jeff. But before you may possibly think that Rogue_1 and Squirt are me and I'm talking to myself over a few screen names, because I'm not.
    They are my friends.

6. Rogue_1

Jul 3, 2003
    I'd appreciate it if you would tell him that in a PRIVATE message, MasterP.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I'm your friend, too.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They're not the same, but along the same line of design evolution.

The VSDs will be designed and produced by a different individual/company. They didn't show up until towards the end of the Clone Wars, as I recall. So you wouldn't see them around the time of AOTC yet. Might see em in Episode 3 possibly.

VSD's are basicly the transitional design between the mainly surface-deployment purpose of the Acclamator-class assault cruiser to the space-only carrier/battleship purpose of the Imperial-class Star Destroyer.

EDIT- The VSD was 900 meters long and was designed by Walex Blissex and was commissioned near the end of the Clone Wars, manufactured by Rendili StarDrive.

The Acclamator was 752 meters long and manufactured by Rothana Heavy Engineering, a division of Kuat Drives Yard (who later manufactured the Imperial-class Star Destroyers), the same division respoisble for the LA-AT I believe.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  10. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    They certainly don't look the same. The only place I ever saw a VSD is in the games, but they had wings and the shape was similar to that of a stardestroyer. The Acclamators are more elongated.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not all VSDs have wings (I could be wrong, but that might be one of the differences between the Mark I and Mark II types).

12. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I think it was in the "Imperial Sourcebook" (1st ed.) that there was a diagram of one of the VSD classes, wasn't there? (Don't have my copy right at hand, and I might be misremembering in which book it was.)

There *were* "wings" of sorts on the ships, although they weren't as wide as the Mon Calamari battleships' own. The "Acclamator"-class cruisers are certainly a viable part of this lineage, and represent a nice first step up that particular ladder.

Lucas will likely jump right to the Imperial Star Destroyer ships in Episode III (going by McCallum's recent comments about "a bridge" set being constructed in the Star Destroyer vein), which means that the "Victory" class will probably be skipped over onscreen rather than add in one more permutation of complexity to the whole thing.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I can't imagine a VSD's bridge would differ radically from an ISD's, and with VSDs beiing based on early ISD production sketches, it's still a possibility Lucas will reuse the design and provide a more gradual transition to the ISD of ANH.

Afterall, doing so will make that ISD mark 1 in ANH look more impressive and advanced.

14. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    That's a good point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.