main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver Republic Commando -A look into the life of a clone

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SquallLeonhart, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquallLeonhart

SquallLeonhart Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    Hey all,

So I just recently bought the book Republic Commando: Hard Contact, the novel tie-in with the video game Republic Commando, due out in March for the Xbox and PC.

I gotta say, this is one interesting book. It's told mainly from the viewpoint of the Clone Commando, Darman. Before everybody gets in a huff, the name is something that the clone commandos give themesleves, and they do have their Alpha-Numeric names as well. And this is one of the interesting points of the book. The Commandos are raised seperately from the Troopers. They live in groups of four, known as Squads, which creates group dynamics that lead to individuality. Also helping this is the addition of individual Squad Instructors. This gives each squad a slightly different group mentality.

This just touches the surface of how the clones interact with each other and the world around them. The book explores a great deal of the way that a Clone, bred for war, sees life and the value of his own existence.

All in all, terribly intiguing, and if you're at a loss for a book to pick up, I suggest this one. Especially if you're curious about what it is that goes on under the helmet of a clone trooper.

And that's my two bits...

2. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Sounds a lot like Jangotat from The Cestus Deception. Also a good book for an insight into the dynamics of Clone Commando's. I'll have to pick up Hard Contact when I get a chance. I was little iffy about it because I bought Ruins of Dantooine (the Galaxies tie-in novel) and it stunk.

3. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    You guys need to check out the Literature section of the site. The guys gave it a good review.

4. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I was going to but I didn't wanna be spoiled. :(

5. Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma

Jedi_Ulic_Qel-Droma Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2002
    Regarding the Ruins of Dantooine comment made. I actually couldn't stop laughing. It was a fun read. I have been playing SWGalaxies since launch, and I have never had that type of excitement in-game the way it was depicted in the book. :D

6. SquallLeonhart

Mar 8, 2004
    So we've talked about the book, but now the game is coming out...and soon...like a month and a half! And they've put up the official site, so if yer interested here it is, www.swcommando.com

Check out the video section...there's some awesome stuff in there about gameplay.

7. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Yeah. I played the demo that came with KOTOR II, and I REALLY want this game, now.

8. TheDave

TheDave Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2004
    I've really wanted to read the book, I've heard it can stand on it's own and shouldn't have been marketed as a tie-in for the video game though.

9. SquallLeonhart

Mar 8, 2004
    The book was amazing...I finished it almost a month ago, andhave yet to read another Star Wars book, because I can't imagine that there would be another one that interesting. Seriously, a good read...it should be mandatory for everybody in the 501st.

Oh, and the game looks wicked too...seriously wicked

10. TheDave

Aug 26, 2004
    how much is the book? I plan on reading it for my class independent novel study.

11. SquallLeonhart

Mar 8, 2004
    As with all Star Wars novels, the price is $10.99...this has always bugged me, as Commando is just shy of 300 pages, and Shatterpoint, which I just started, is nearly 500, and they're the same price...but hey, whaddya gonna do, right. So yeah, $10.99, but well worth the price, cuz inside those 300 pages there's a helluva lot more stuff than in a Zahn novel of nearly double the size...I hate that guy...he has no idea what Han Solo is about...

12. TheDave

Aug 26, 2004
    10.99 is worth a good read. I have yet to hear a bad review of this book, so I might as well buy it... When I actually have money :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.