main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic Commando Sequel: Triple Zero

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kreuzader, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenTraviss

KarenTraviss Author: -Hard Contact -Triple Zero -LOTF star 4 VIP

Mar 27, 2004
    << I don't think that's going to happen, given that Karen's writing another trilogy. >>

Don't listen to him! I can always fit in extra books. Buy! Buy! Buy!

2. Dark_Guardian

Dark_Guardian Jedi Master star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    TalonCard
    The mission is from the game Republic Commando. Delta squad finds the Acclamator-class Assault Prosecutor ship drifting in space. They were sendt in to recieve the sensor- and log-datas of the ships just to find out it had been captured by trandoshan slavers and mercenaries.
    The mission ends with the death of all trandos as well as the destruction of a TradFed-Battleship.

Another Republic Commando Novel! Wohoo!
    Now here's your chance to set the colormarkings of Omega once and for all, Karen...

3. Ganner_The_Hero

Ganner_The_Hero Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    My heart missed a beat as soon as I saw the words "announcing Republic Commando" appear from the sidebar on the OS. It didn't even occur to me that it could be another game. I'm so freaking happy right now!

Thank you, Karen, for writing another amazing RC-book for us!!!! :D :D

4. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    And who says LFL never listen to the fans?
    Maybe If this gets enough sales Karen can write Imperial Commando!

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Ryan: Lift up yer kamas and dance!

Och! *dozens of kilted Ewok skirl into thread, heuching to the music of the pipes*

</random Meg Ryan>O! O! O!

:D

-TMcE

6. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    Karen, it said that Triple Zero will be set one year ABOG. Do you know whether it will be before or after the other stories that are one year ABOG, namely The Cestus Deception, Tales #22: Honor Bound, and the short story series Heroes of Cartao??? Or will Triple Zero be written in such a way that it could have taken place at the same time as any of these?

7. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    From Karen's blog:

1. The timeline runs from one year up to 18 months after Geonosis, i.e. it doesn't take in the events of Revenge of the Sith.

2. The cast will specifically include both Omega and Delta Squads: Sergeants Kal Skirata and Walon Vau: Jedi Generals Etain Tur-Mukan and Bardan Jusik: and ARC Trooper Captain Ordo, N-11.

3. It takes in hazardous urban operations as well as the theatre of war special ops stuff we saw in Hard Contact.

4. The book will contain more Mandalorian cultural and language detail; clone training and background; and more material on the Null ARCs like Captain Ordo, who I introduced in my Star Wars Insider #81 short story, Targets in March this year.

5. The book will give an insight into the real nature of military orders and the complex relationship between Jedi officers and their troops.

6. I'm a long way into writing the book and it'll be finished in approximately three weeks. At the moment it looks like being 150K words - about the same as my City of Pearl series.

7. If you're looking for a book with all your favourite big-name characters like Windu and Yoda and so on, this is not the book you are looking for. Move along. It's the story of the unknown and the unrewarded, clone and Jedi alike, the people who really win wars and get no recognition for it.

8. If you're looking for classic set-piece fleet battles and epic infantry warfare on a massive scale, this is also not the book for you. This is special forces stuff, as true to life as I can make it within the context of the GFFA, and that is Not How They Work. If you think special forces are therefore boring and lack action, I might see if I can introduce you to some real special forces chaps, and then you can tell them to their faces that their job is...boring. (And if you do, can I watch?)

8. Durnar

Durnar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2004
    Ive just thought, having to deal with Scorch AND Omega squad is probably gonna give Sev a nervous breakdown.

9. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"1. The timeline runs from one year up to 18 months after Geonosis, i.e. it doesn't take in the events of Revenge of the Sith."<<

Definatley after the Prosecutor mission, then.

10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    This promises to be a lot of fun...

BTW, ARC troopers were generally deemed too dangerous to be used by the Kaminoans, so I doubt this will be a "special special special" squad, just your average "out of my way, ye mortal commandos" ARC.

And of course it's OK with me if this quote gets used in the novel ;)

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Awesome news! Be nice if we do get a third book, so that we have a RC book set in "year one" of the war, this one set in "year two" and another in "year three".

And, naturally then, the fourth being Imperial Commando ;)

Now I just gotta get back to finishing Hard Contact soon...

12. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    This news is so much better than pie. Even chocolate pie.

Karen is my hero!

(Psst...does this mean a new RC game to go with it??)

13. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Great, just great. Really looking forward to this. Especially curious to see how Delta and Omega squad is going to interact with each others... as well as the Null commandos.

Hold the phone, captain Ordo? :eek: A certain tie-in to a certain ancient Mandalorian leader?

14. Cynical

Oct 5, 2004
    Know any other Ordos?

15. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Okay, here's what happened, and this is gospel. Timeline:

1. November 2004: went to the Ranch. I said to Sue at LFL that I hoped if they ever did a sequel to Hard Contact, that they'd ask me to do it first regardless of my schedule at the time, because if any other writer was likely to sniff at it, I'd shiv them. Other writers knew I was bullish about defending my turf. And I'm from Portsmouth, so...

2. I went to CIII.

3. No sequel was planned.

4. Loads of people asked Del Rey for a sequel at CIII. I said nothing to LFL/ DR at that time because I didn't want to push my luck and look whiney.

5. I got home after CIII and opened my e-mail. I had missed touching base with my Del Rey editor on the last day at CIII because I was too tied up playing RepCom on the LucasArts stand with some 501st guys. She had already gone on vacation when I got back, but the e-mail asked if I might be able to do a sequel. My response was, and I quote: "You know I would chew my own leg off to write it."

6. I did an outline. The book was only given the green light a couple of weeks ago. Until that point, there was no guarantee it would happen.

7. I got on with the book and kept my mouth shut until this morning, which was not easy.

So there you have the exact sequence and the whole truth.

16. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    No, they're different. I mean really different. Any more would be a major spoiler. But they're different.

Ryan Kaufman can confirm. Ryan is my First Reader (I have a small focus group of people who read all my manuscripts and comment on them) but Ryan sees it in progress. He's my special buddy so he doesn't have to wait until it's finished to see it.

We're working on other stuff together so having him say, "Karen, you really can't do that with an Ewok..." is very focusing.

As ever, it'll be spot-the-real-op time.

17. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    ARC Captain Ordo (N-11) from Targets. You'll find out why he's called Ordo, too.

I came up with him and the Null backstory for Targets and then got so engrossed in him that I had to bring him back.

Hence my references a couple of weeks ago to the ARC captain maquette I bought to keep on my desk. Nobody asked me why, though.

Call yourself journalists? :D

18. Cynical

Oct 5, 2004
    You're asking that of people who buy the same things just because they can? ;) (edit: or in some cases even though their economy says they can't)

19. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    One of the things that most excites me about this one is the interaction between Delta and Omega squads. It will be interesting to see how they work together, as are different squads with different personalities and training. This seems a bit off, but I wonder if any of Omega gets new armor, as I think they all wore the basic armor and colors?

20. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    They've got colors in Omega Squad: Targets.

21. Dark_Guardian

Dark_Guardian Jedi Master star 2

Apr 11, 2004
    Yeah, Niner has blue Markings.
    The others have red and 2 x brown markings, but who's who is unknown. I hope we will get this part of info in the new book.

22. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    I thinks that's Fi, actually, in the blue. Niner's the orange-red one, and it seems Darman and Atin don't have any distinctive paint job at all.

23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    "No, they're different. I mean really different. Any more would be a major spoiler. But they're different."

Any chance we will see a N-117? :D

24. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    =P~ YES!!!! The Lucasfilm gods have come threw.

This is gonna be great.:D

Let's dance.[face_dancing]

25. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Actually... you're right! I'm used to ordinary civvies who say, "What the hell did you buy that for?"

It wouldn't seem unusual here...

Hmmm...

And that's good. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.