main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic Commando Sequel: Triple Zero

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kreuzader, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarenTraviss

KarenTraviss Author: -Hard Contact -Triple Zero -LOTF star 4 VIP

Mar 27, 2004
    Gosh, folks, I'm struggling to keep up with the posts now.

Thank you for the wooting and support everyone. I think you'll like the Null ARCs.

And for anyone who worries that I'm going to be Jedi-ist - okay, I cheered at Order 66 in the cinema, I know - the Boys in Brown do get a fair deal. I'm examining them with the same respect as I do the clone lads.

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000

I was actually about to comment about that- it'd be interest if, say, in the hypotehtical third Republic Commando book, the Commandos had to deal with the Mandalorians that fought for the Confederacy.

oooo...wait- even better- we know the Mandalorians "devastated" Kamino towards the end of the war- the ARCs and Commandos might be present, defending their "home turf", in such a scenario...[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    According to Abel, though, the bulk of the Mandalorian "expeditions" to Norval II and -- he's confirmed -- the Kamino assault occur circa 2 ½ - 2 ¾ years after the Battle of Geonosis; closer to [i]Republic[/i] #74-77, and the Outer Rim Sieges.

The Battles of Kamino and New Bornalex would therefore take place at some point between Month 30 and Month 33, with the Norval II affair very close to [i]Episode III[/i]. Although this certainly doesn't rule [i]out[/i] the likelihood of Karen or others having the Mando Mercs in action in OTHER engagements during the 12-18 ABG window...

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, thats why I was saying such a tale could be in a third book, set later in the war.

And there was the Mandalorian attack on New Holstice that Aayla's forces defended against just prior to Republic #65 I believe, set at 18 months ABG.

(to say nothing of whatever caused the "screw Nuke" Mandocorpse pile in #67)

4. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Plenty of open leeway for that to happen in the pre-"Order 66" run of things, and -- as you mention -- certainly ample evidence that the Mandos were active during the mid-months of the war, which was in the back of my mind for that little...suggestion...to Karen. But working in this area of law, she didn't hear it from me. [face_thinking]

(Nuke would be so proud...)

5. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    I have just two words to say about this:

Woo hoo!!!!

6. Silky

Silky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    i wonder whether im gonna ahve to buy this one on import as well as HC never got an official release in the UK which is quite annoying.

7. nitflegal

nitflegal Jedi Master star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    This is great news, especially as I've been hyping this book to everyone who'll listen, Put a pretty glowing review up at Amazon and even got a bunch of snake-eater types to pick up copies after gushing at specialoperations.com. Nice to see it might have had a tiny effect.

That said, please, please don't give the Null-ARC's new armor! I'm working on a 1/6 Republic Commando sculpt now, to be followed by a Clone Assassin and finally an ARC. Got to have all of the Republic spec-ops guys, ya' know? If you do a new Null-ARC, I'll have to sculpt him too and then I'll never get this project done!

OK, whining over, really looking forward to the book.

Matt

8. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"That said, please, please don't give the Null-ARC's new armor!"<<

The Null ARCs have the same armour, we saw that in Targets.

>>" And to make another lame joke... Will Sev finally get the designation of Triple-Oh-Seven? grin I'm out."<<

He's already got a full designation, right?

9. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Tam_Elgrin posted on 6/10/05 8:03am

[i]>>" And to make another lame joke... Will Sev finally get the designation of Triple-Oh-Seven? grin I'm out."<<[/i]

He's already got a full designation, right?
    [hr][/blockquote]

Yeah: RC-1207, so why call him RC-0007 ???

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Silky, I got my copy of republic commando off of amazon for about a fiver :)

11. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Shaken, not stirred.

12. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Captain Ordo wishes me to assure you that his armor is the standard ish. Okay, he might go for some you-can't-bend-it Gucci kit, but the armor...that's Pusser's standard. :)

13. kann

kann Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    YES!!! Cheers Karen.

I shall now part ways with this thread in order to stay clean of any potential spoilers until this new gem is officially released. Count me among the first buyers!

Btw, I ordered City of Pearl the other week from Amazon. Can't wait to receive it :p

14. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    No spoilers from me, mate! It's the rest of these blokes here, speculating wildly... :eek:

(Do we have any blokesses on this thread, by the way? Or am I the only girlie?)

And thank you for buying City of Pearl.

15. kann

Apr 24, 2005
    (Do we have any blokesses on this thread, by the way? Or am I the only girlie?)

Hehe don't worry I'm a blokess :D

16. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    Yay!

I do seem to be picking up a few more female readers for RC stuff, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the aesthetic appeal of a chap in armour...

17. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "i wonder whether im gonna ahve to buy this one on import as well as HC never got an official release in the UK which is quite annoying."

I got it from Amazon.co.uk back in october, but Im not sure if they'll still have any in stock.

18. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    They don't. This is a travesty. :(

19. kann

Apr 24, 2005
    Yay!

I do seem to be picking up a few more female readers for RC stuff, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the aesthetic appeal of a chap in armour...

Tough fight! Blame the Anakin hype though, even if he does end up in an armor himself! Add to that a ravaged burned out face and a nasty breathing problem, I guess that beats the lesser charm of the "Concord Dawn" accent........

[face_tired]

20. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    * thinks deeply, chin resting on hand *

Much as I hate to offend Mr. Vader (sir), I confess to preferring the enlisted man to an officer.

21. KarenTraviss

Mar 27, 2004
    So...even Amazon UK hates me now! :_| Can I do no right in my own land?

22. kann

Apr 24, 2005
    So...even Amazon UK hates me now! cry Can I do no right in my own land?

That's weird indeed.... Don't tell me there are only girls in the UK!

[/lame joke]

23. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000

Yay!

I do seem to be picking up a few more female readers for RC stuff, which I'm sure has nothing to do with the aesthetic appeal of a chap in armour...[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    Any heavier armor for the Null-clones in the story? I'm thinking more in the neighborhood of the Basic Model Fenachrone from the nineteen-thirties or thereabouts.

It was vulnerable to under-half-inch-diameter ammo carrying over about 2600 foot-pounds of impact energy; this was barely sufficient to penetrate the two-phase monocrystalline tungsten/iridium mesh/Fenachrone Chitin composite armor of the day. Current-model Fenachrone are bulletproof up to 6000 foot-pounds, which means that even a .600 Holland & Holland Nitro Express only knocks them down briefly (and that, only if they haven't got anything to hold on to during the impact).

More important, genetic engineering has assured that it grows naturally on warrior-class Fenachrone, and can be installed using a "Retrofit Virus" on any other Fenachrone who feels the need. This is why Fenachrone Combat Armor is powered Dagal/Cosmium alloy, and tractor-beam anchored to the nearest planetary core, so that minor explosions won't knock it around enough to injure the wearer.

In the late sixties, a Fenachrone Go-Go Dancer was working in a strip joint near Gaza. The joint was hit by terrorists, to all intents and purposes [b][i]nuked[/i][/b]... but it was well over a day before she stopped dancing, because no one had the nerve to bother her while she was working, and tell her the building and the audience were gone.

*NEVER* interrupt a Fenachrone.

24. Ryan_Kaufman

Ryan_Kaufman DHC Author & Former LucasArts Content Supervisor star 3 VIP

Mar 15, 2005
    Leto II, whoa.

Alls I know is, on the Katarn Mark II, the manual recommends releasing your grip on any stationary objects when you experience unavoidable ordnance contact. The chances are better you'll receive injury from gripping fingers or arms ripping out of their sockets than from impact.

Or, as Scorch is known to say, "just let go and take a ride."

25. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000

So...even Amazon UK hates me now! [face_cry] Can I do no right in my own land?[hr][/blockquote][/b]
    I feel your pain, Karen. Amazon.us hates me on occasion, too.

(But then again, I'm not surprised...over there, you people spent enough marrying and burying Princess Di to feed and house all the homeless psychos in London, [b][i]including[/b][/i] the ones who voted "Labour." [face_mischief])

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.