main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Republic Commando

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Hazmatt, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    For those of you who are tired of "Jedi Knight 2" and "Jedi Academy"....well, you should be playing "Knights of the Old Republic" (even die-hard "Galaxies" gamer Me hasn't played that in weeks. It just....aw, don't get me started). However, a new game has been announced, and it's just too good to not share.

"Republic Commando" is a squad-based shooter (think "Ghost Recon" or "Rainbow Six") where you play a clonetrooper squad leader in charge of a few clones. Played from the first-person perspective, this looks to be a very, very fun game.

Check out the press release. There's even a trailer!

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Welcome to last Spring, Hazzy. ;)

Yeah, this was released at last year's E3, dude. :p

But yes, fun game (and I am in the midst of playing KOTOR :) ).

3. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    True, but it had pretty much faded into obscurity until CES this week, when the new screenshots and trailer were released.

Geez, man, quit harshing my buzz...

4. TheExecutor

TheExecutor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Dude I would play this game in a sec! I love FPS and Squad based games I just hope they release it on all the platforms. I love the way SOCOM runs on the PS2. But I totally see it becoming the year of the X BOX.

5. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    its unreal powered i hear so it should be purty.

there will probably be a big to do about this at E3 this year.

hopefully lucasarts can pull of a tactical shooter better than they pulled of an RTS game.

6. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "hopefully lucasarts can pull of a tactical shooter better than they pulled of an RTS game."

You just picked on LucasArts worst genre of games there. No admiration and respect for their amazing oldschool adventure games, at the time groundbreaking FPS, and their current Game of the Year RPG?

LucasArts is capable of some amazing games, so shush, you.

7. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    As a PS2 freak, I am sad to say that Republic Commando has not been mentioned for the PS2. But, Battlefront has.
    Battlefront you say? It's a original triology game. PSM last issue had a big spread. I'll try to remember to bring it to collect club.

8. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001

You just picked on LucasArts worst genre of games there. No admiration and respect for their amazing oldschool adventure games, at the time groundbreaking FPS, and their current Game of the Year RPG?

when they release games with big hype and little delivery i'll pick on it till the cows come home.

all i'm saying is that when lucasarts delves into uncharted territory they have a good chance of stumbling. 3rd person action games like the ep 1 game, indiana jones and the emperor's tomb were pretty bad. they sort of redeemed themselves with bounty hunter but it still has some kinks. RTS, Rebellion, Force Commander, Galactic Battlegrounds, all are terrible games marred by bad plots and horrid control schemes. Battlegrounds sort of gets it right however it doesnt really do anything groundbreaking. fighting, Masters of Teras Kasi, thankfully they haven't revisited this genre as MOTK is one of the worst fighting games ever produced. i want bang for my buck not farts! farts i get for free! i refuse to spend my hard earned money on mediocrity.

lucasarts knows how to do FPS and Flight Sims. they've proved they can produce a good RPG as well, thanks KOTOR. with that in mind, i'd say lucasarts is 50/50 when it comes to releases. they have a better chance in the tactical shooter realm because its mostly FPS.

as for battlefront, i am very much looking forward to that one. its what i wish galaxies would have been. here's some more info:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/starwarsbattlefront/news_6084869.html

9. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Yes, I see what you mean for the most part-- and agree. Some of LucasArts games in the past 5 years or so have definitely been sub-par. But, like you mentioned, they have also had some incredible FPS's, Flight Sims, and now RPGs. I would have to agree: they're about 50/50 when it comes to releasing great games or releasing rubbish. The solution is simple though, just buy the good games. That way, you don't waste your money. :)

"Battlegrounds sort of gets it right however it doesnt really do anything groundbreaking."

But isn't that what you just said was bad for LucasArts?

You said, "all i'm saying is that when lucasarts delves into uncharted territory they have a good chance of stumbling."

So, LucasArts produces bad games when it tries something new, and yet Battlegrounds is a bad game for not trying something new? Whaaat? :confused:

10. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    battlegrounds is a touchy situation. that game is based on the Age of Empires engine. it is almost the exact same thing as AoE almost down to the units. this works. SW lends itself quite well to the RTS framework. however, it doesn't build upon anything. it just is what it is. no good solid plot. no interesting or exciting units. the whole game is rather bland. that is bad. the play mechanics however are good.

you also said that lucasarts makes some ground breaking games. they did it with FPS in DF2. why not with RTS? why not with the tactical shooter?

past experience in new genres says that there is a reasonable chance that they will stumble when trying something new.

trying new stuff is good. when you do it all the time and most of your new stuff sucks, that is bad. hopefully they are learning and not just slapping the logo on things.

you're right just buy the good games. that indeed is the solution. thank god for ign and gamespot.

11. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    If you haven't already, you can get a taste of what Battlefront might have to offer by downloading Galactic Conquest, a Star Wars mod for Battlefield: 1942. It's not as polished as, say, Desert Combat, but then again, few are.

12. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    yeah i want to see how that looks now if i only had BF-1942 i have played and it is fun just need a joystick for piloting and stuff but i think it would be cool controling an AT-AT from inside an all.

13. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "yeah i want to see how that looks now if i only had BF-1942 i have played and it is fun just need a joystick for piloting and stuff but i think it would be cool controling an AT-AT from inside an all. "

punctuation is your friend!

14. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Yeah yeah yeah, that is what they all say.

15. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Dartgoat you sound like a real avid gamer. Maybe we should start a Star Wars video game club. We can all hook up on a Friday night and play games and drink mountain due and eat chips. We can bust a cap in Hawk-bats virtual face or I can jump of a ship like in Metal Gear Substance! I have big 40inch Sony Trinitron and a 20inch TV and we can play Armored Core 3.

16. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Hey that was my Idea! But it would be fun. We could also have LAN parties also. That would be a lot of fun.

17. Hazmatt

Aug 16, 2002
    Actually, something like this is already in the works with Absynthium. Originally intended to be a Chicago Force guild in Galaxies, I have been toying with the idea of just making it a general CF computer gaming club, so we could do things like LAN parties (I almost have all the details on my Podracing tourney all figured out) and 'Net gaming with things like JK2, the upcoming Republic Commando, and even non-SW stuff, like UT and BF1942.

Look for more details after Capricon, or drop me a line at hazmatt@chicagoforce.org.

18. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    i'd definately be up for a gaming club. this is gonna be a HUGE year for PC gaming. that is provided that HL2 and DOOM 3 are released.

btw-FFXI: ONLINE now owns my free time.

19. TheExecutor

Nov 8, 2002
    Sounds like fun But I don?t have IBM based PC anymore! I got tiered of trying to get my PC to work! I love burning music and mix it as in a DJ. I got tiered of that kernel 32 and 54 and so on not working. I got me a Tricked out 20inch I-Mac fully loaded. But like all things I can only game with other Mac Heads. But I?m in if you do have a video game night.

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Last year I could have owned you all in Jedi Outcast.

Still probably could.

AYBABTU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.