main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Republic dominates Empire?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ackbar_Van_Gungan, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Actually, it was LFL who decreed that all of those old stories took place during a scant 6 months, and it happened in late 1998, right around the time the Rogue Squadron game came out.

2. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    I had an interview tucked away somewheres from 1998/99, though (related to all the files connected with the "Blast From the Early Days of the Internet" thread), in which Sue Rostoni (IIRC) mentioned that the pre-Hoth material was spread across the bulk of the intervening three years...and then there's the official Dark Horse interior timeline in issues from that period and afterward, in which the Goodwin/Williamson newspaper strips and Splinter of the Mind's Eye were likewise positioned across the entire three-year spectrum.

Apparently, the "six months to Hoth" theorum is something that's only recently taken hold at LFL, coming straight out of fandom; good, bad or ill. As opposed to the previous longstanding "official" interpretation. Not that it's necessarily *unworkable*, mind you -- indeed that new chrono goes a longish way toward making the case -- but I've always been discomfited by the duress under which it places the primary Lucas characters for so terribly compressed a timespan.

3. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Interesting. Yeah, I know spanning the stories out across the 3 years was something that Mike Beidler and Jason Fry were big on (back when they both had timelines online), but there were some in fandom who felt a shorter span was better...I guess they won out in the end. I personally like a shorter span better, though it does make some things difficult to work out.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Empire is ridiculous.

Vader, Solo, Luke, Leia---your movie names aren't going to get harmed or die. So I ask: where the hell is the drama and suspense?

Republic is dynamic and Jan and Jon are using names and places from current and thousands of years ago into their present issues without continuity problems. We don't know who could die next, though Tholme has to die soon so it can catalyst Vos and Secura into knew paths and choices, I reckon.

Yes, the ground battles are all the same, and all we get are Hailfire and Spider droids; and while it'd be nie to see a Persuader tank here and there, it's unknown to us.

If you're going to have Empire, than get those fuffing faces out of my sight. Focus on unknown or little known names like Darklighter and Sunber. But don't waste time with a Fett comic who barely talks; or Vader throat-choking yet again; or Luke's boyish grin; the delicate but stoic Leia upset at Uncle Palpie; or worse of all, yet more quick liners and fast escapes from Solo.

In short, we've seen it all for twenty years. Move on now.

Look how many SW games since TPM are still in the movie trilogy years. It's not funny. they think we can't get enough of those tired old sound trakcs and tunes.

5. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    There's the excellence we all know and love

I approve!

-The Rebel Gungan

6. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"Empire is ridiculous.

Vader, Solo, Luke, Leia---your movie names aren't going to get harmed or die. So I ask: where the hell is the drama and suspense?"<<

That's what I so loved about To The Last Man. I sure as hell thought Sunber was going down, and I had to physically restrain myself from flicking to the end to see if he lived.

And that Gage... :mad:

It's stories like To The Last Man that we need. New characters, new situations, ones that we care about. Ones that matter to us.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Ah, Excellence has a point yet again.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Unfortunately, it's his only point, and he's made it about 5 times within the last 24 hours ;)

9. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    broken record
    broken record
    broken record

10. KÃ¥l

KÃ¥l Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2000
    I really think Empire should focus on the main characters from the OT. They should be able to tell ongoing stories (not necessarily all set between ANH and TESB), and mix in new characters, perhaps even building on stuff from the Marvel run and the newspaper strips. I don't want to see issues about boring nobodies like BoShek. I don't see why existing continuity should hamper writing stories about Luke, Han and Leia - I mean, who reads an issue of Superman thinking "I wonder if he'll die in this one?" (OK, he has died before, but, ya know what I mean...)

Oh, yeah, and why did the artist draw that Imperial guy like Tarkin in issue 28? That was just confusing.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Now, let's not get discriminatory here. You like a good beer, you keep drinking it, one after another. Does that mean there's too much of a good thing? ;)

Ah, I've always thought Gibson was a bit of a weeny in that movie, Maverick ;)

That's not true, 2ndQuest. I didn't post here sooner so as not to repat myself. (Which doesn't mean I haven't elsewhere). Or commented on BoShek, have I? And in the wind, you hear the echoes, "yet".

As Tam said, show us new characters like this Sunber. Star Wars is too focused on the heroic side. Show the Imperial Perspective more, they're lifestyles. This has happened for Clone Wars too; we don't see the Confed side of views, because they're deemed not important.

I would like to know, as a loyal Confed officer, trying to overthrow a corrupt government, why my leadership just used a lethal nerve gas on an innocent population (the Naboobies). A comic to explore that aspect would be like In the Empire's Service's nature.

And to make it more interesting, call that officer Firmus Piett.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The thing about the crashed OT timeline is that there is the support in the original stories for it. The Marvel series had a very strong internal consistency (the old-sk00l "ed. notes" and stuff). But more than that, there was the external consistency as well. When Han and Chewie were off on adventures in the ongoing series, Luke and Leia were over in Pizazz doing their thing, etc.

Yes, it does put a strong burden on them doing a lot of stuff in a short period of time, but the Galactic Civil War had just exploded, and there was a lot to be done.

13. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Ha! I thought all Aussies loved Gibson?

I'm with you in the Imperial perspective, Excellence. I think a lot can be done with Sunber...though, I am torn. Who really wants to read about a bunch of fascists?

14. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I don't know . . . I only have Betrayal. It was so shocking, I won't touch Empire again.

15. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Republic is an overall experience I never thought possible from a comic book. It's that good.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Who really wants to read about a bunch of fascists?

They're not fascists.

And I would read all about the Empire.

17. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "They're not fascists."

Oh? They sure act like fascists.

18. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Is Republic going to be made into TPB's ? Empire already has 4 TPB's I think and Republic is on issue 73 or so. It's time for them to be put in TPB's.

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Um...the Clone Wars TPBs are the Republic TPBs. :)

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  21. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    Thanks guys.

22. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Who really wants to read about a bunch of fascists?

You?d be surprised. In my opinion, fascism can be quite fascinating in a dark kind of way. How good people can end up supporting a government that is almost completely and totally evil.

23. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Well, that's why the prequels are so interesting. They show how this all happened. But people like Isard and the Grand Admirals? Granted, I'd love to see more of them and I certainly want to see them in Empire, but really, they aren't exactly good people. I don't think I want apologist literature spotlighting these guys...certainly as villains, but as protagonists? I don't know.

24. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    A young Ysanne would look cute. I though the Wicked Witch of the West was also a looker, in her own way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.