main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Request for TFF: Star Wars Battlefront II Competition@ GAMESTOP

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mugen, Apr 27, 2006.

1. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    For the past several months I have been hanging around people having fits because various pieces to various outfits were not "canon" enough for them and you thought none of that was going to rub off on me?:confused: Why should you count Qui-Gon's straps, you aren't trying to make a Qui-Gon outfit, are you, little miss "I can speak French":p

Seriously, K-kat, the operative word here is dead, as in Qui-Gon. When you are trying to make a specific character costume, it helps when they die, as then they don't move, and you can pick up a lot of detail.
    Besides, if I was uber geeky, I would make a burn hole in the costume where Maul skewered him.:-B Gui-Gon-abob.:eek:

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    let me just say that I am rolling on the floor from what Hal just said and then snapping his fingers.. I can't stop laughing.. thank you for making my night!!!!

3. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    Yes, Mr. Wook. I was asking ObiKat. I was trying to prove a point, but not very well.

Kat, why did you build a light saber hilt if the Kenner one was available? Because it made you feel better to make it and have something more personal and accurate to your standards.

The whole costume in the details and it matters not if ANYONE else knows it's true to the original, the wearer/builder knows. If you are going to do it, do it right (this is all a personal choice that really only the person making the outfit and determine). Of course you can change or omit something but just do it so it makes you happy, cannon or not.

This really didn't come out right, but I guess what I'm saying is that if Mr. Wook decides to go Qui-Gon and he wishes to have the "Cannon" straps on his boots, and he's willing to spend the time and money, why not? It would make him happy to built Qui-Gon to his level of detail, and nobody is going to complain or know the difference but him, and that?s the MOST IMPORTANT person he has to impress. I'm sure it's also a matter or pride, a job well done.
    I, on the other hand, went for quantity over quality, something very odd for me but that was my choice.

I suppose I'm saying "to each his own". None of this came out right; it's too early for me to try to articulate this.

4. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    I agree with Kat we said uber geeky saying qui-gon has 7 straps or Jango has 21 braids on his girth belt...........No one that we cater to really cares except the DSG. On the other hand I was laughing so hard I nearly fell off the chair about the trekkie comment........Of course when I told Amber why I was laughing so hard her only response was.......Tiberious.......LOLOLOLOLOL

5. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Ya know, the basic way I look at it is, IF someone is THAT detailed about what I wear, unless they are going to pay and make the changes, it's really irrelevant. Nobody we cater to (yes, Chris is 100% correct) really cares about the details, just that we care enough to show up and do something for them. Again, we ONLY have to impress ourselves, nobody else?s opinion matters.

6. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    I care...

and Chris, tell youre wife, she is an Uber Trekkie Geek...(that is worse than a Comic book geek and a Star Wars geek combined) [face_whistling]

7. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Oh one more thing: Joe and I have a meeting with a couple of Gamestop reps, ITT TECH and ugh..Pepsi people about the Battlefront II event...I'll make sure to take notes and give them some input from our standpoint of capabilities, and find out expressly what will be required of us, and what we need to do to prepare.

8. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, I'm the one that came up with the Tiberius answer first!:mad: :-B

9. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    As I've said many times before (being over 50 years old allows you to constantly repeat yourself), you can look like somebody wearing a costume of a character, or you can look like that character, it's your choice.
    I think K-Kat was just teasing me, since you guys keep voting me the least geeky member of the group.

10. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Laugh it up fuzz ball [face_laugh]

I do think that COSplay is more important than looking cannon, but that's just me. I really can't say because all my costumes pretty much don't involve much personality, neither the Jawas? nor Guards' have much personality or individuality. Nor does a Scout. Never mind, I'll just go back to what I was doing... I don't know what I'm talking about.

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I would imagine the only thing that could possibly keep this from being an absolutely huge event is the fact that the san diego comic con is the same weekend.. wish it were not that way.. but oh well.

12. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    We've done big and small events, as long as people have fun and a goal is accomplished "size matters not"

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    true enough, but just would love to see how many people this event would bring out were it not at the same time as the largest comic con of the year.

there in fact are some dsg members that do not plan on attending the comic con and they are interested in participating at this event, and possibly the toyboxxe event as well. Damien they are going to expect to hear from the TFF on our two summer events we have planned, Lance will include reports from you at the DSG meeting. Which I am hoping to get to attend with you, Frankie and whoever else decides to go.

14. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Well, Joe and I sat through a 1.5 hour meeting with the ITT/Gamestop/Pepsi/Eb games people for an overview of the will be happenings on the tourney day: hereis the result.

?STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT II?
    VIDEO GAME TOURNAMENT
    Meeting Minutes
    May 18, 2006

Attending: Stephanie, Omar, Emmett, Mariesa, Joe Ngo- Gamestop, Frank- Tucson ?Two Suns? Fan Force

Introduction: Emmett introduced Mariesa to group. Stephanie distributed the agenda.

Game Demo: Joe brought 2 Xbox systems. They were set up. One displayed on the TV and the other on a projector. Emmett, Frank and Joe played different planets to try to determine who the characters were on each planet and which planets work. Also tried to find out which game mode was best, Hunt or Capture the Flag.

Discussion on Game Demo: Decided that Auto Assign was best so contestants weren?t fighting over which player they would be, possibly excluding certain characters that do not have weapons.
    Points are broken down as follows: Player Points, Hero, Kills, and Deaths. ?Kills? points would be best to determine winner. Will need referees or a designated person(s) to take down the scores for each player.
    Capture the Flag game mode is more action than Hunt game mode. Emmett and Joe are to play the game before the next meeting to each pick 4 planets that they think are best to use for the tournament. It will be discussed and chosen at next meeting.
    Suggestion from Stephanie is that may be two 5 minutes on two different maps would work better in Hunt mode. Then later decided that they could use the same map for 10 minutes in Capture the Flag mode.
    Stephanie suggested that, and was agreed by all that the planets that will be used, either 3 or 4, would be placed in a hat before each round so there was no picking and choosing. We can incorporate the ?Characters? (provided by Tucson Fan Force) by choosing each planet.
    Need to find a cross over cap 5 cable/6 port hub to connect all of the systems. If we can find a 6 port hub, we can connect all of the Xbox systems together and they will network to where everyone can play on the same planet. In case we can not get a ?hub? to connect them all, we can link 2 participants per Xbox and link 2 together.
    Also need to name each chair for the contestants to use for the scoreboard. Put them on the back of each chair.
    Entry Form Clearinghouse Team Director: Check in table should be in the lobby.
    If there are too many people who register, we will have to have a waiting list. It will then be a 1st come, 1st serve basis. There are 2 participants registered by e-mail. They have received a ?thanks/confirm? email from Omar.
    8 registrations as of 5/17
    HS reps will go out and collect registration forms on 7/10.
    10 minute games equal 15 minutes per game with set up.
    We need to notify people who register by phone twice. Once to verify when we first receive their registration forms, and the other to confirm they still want to participate a few days before the event.

Registration Forms: Joe wanted copies to be displayed at counters at Gamestop. Emmett made him copies.

Marketing: Maybe a small flyer can be placed on Papa John?s boxes for advertisment. Not sure if Papa John?s can put everyone?s company logo on their boxes. It was agreed by all that it was everyone?s logos or no one?s logos.
    Using either Pepsi?s ad or a newpaper ad provided by ITT inserting a phrase that includes, ?Come visit Tucson ?Two Suns? Fan Force? or ?Meet Stars Wars Characters.?
    Emmett suggested putting out a press release to get some media to appear and cover the event.

Other comments made: Stephanie-possibly playing Star Wars the movie while the tournament is going on and/or having the Star Wars theme music playing.
    Joe-Basic explanation of the controllers for the Xbox system can be an introduction.
    Stephanie-Black sheets or paper to cover the windows so the projection works better.
    Stephanie-Every participant will receive a certificate.
    Emmett-will call Kris to catch up.
    Stephanie-Don?t know how much food we?ll need from Papa John?s.
    E

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I would love it if a couple of you can go to the June meeting with Frankie.. I would love to go myself but I will be in Arkansas on June 1st picking up the kids for summer.

all this sounds great. Frankie, Just take it and run with it and keep me informed of all the goings on by phone,computer, and dropping by of course. If there are any more meetings and I AM in town I would love to join you at them.

this is a super exciting event. I am up for helping work on the back drop or anything to get us going on it. When do we want to get together and where to work on stuff for this. I also would love to get a padme costume made in time for this event, I am sure chris's mother in law will do that for me if I contact her.. just I have to come up with the money to do it!! Jake is going to work on his stuff as well.. and yes Frankie I am sure he will need your help, and anyone else that cares to jump on board and help him out as well.

16. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    JM will stop by the house and pick up a poster for his store for this event.. and he will do his best to make it to this event as well.

17. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003

18. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003

19. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    [image=http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/Mugen613/bftourney1.jpg]

GIGGIDY GIGGIDY....Oh Yeah!!!!!!!

20. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Oh yeah...We NEED EVRYONE for this event!!!!!! PLEASE!

Frankie/Mugen
    Commander Bly

21. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Sorry i didnt end up makin it last night Cat I got caught up in a shooting a block away fromthe station and stayed til 2 can u just give me the dimensions Id need to cover?

Frank how big is that poster? I need to print a new logo to cover the one they used since the words "star wars" are a no no!

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    looks to be about one inch to two inches.. nothing larger at all.. somewhere in between I would imagine.

23. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Cool Ill print some sticker up to go over the coruright infringing logo.

Frank or Damien or whoever is liasoning with the DSG lemme know if a vader can make it as soon as you do so I know if I need to spruce up the suit.

24. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    the DSG meeting is the end of this month.. we will know after that what they plan on doing as to our events.

25. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Seeing as the DSG is going to the San Diego Comic con that weekend...I believe our Vader is going to be needed. Also, that would make youre Tie and At At driver available...right? Maybe we can employ youre friend we did the b-day party for as the Tie or At At..if possible. Just a thought.