main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Request From Make-A-Wish

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by GreyJedi, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    I received this in my "official" e-mail inbox:

I have a special request that I am hopeful your great organization may be able to help with.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation of San Diego grants wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions to help enhance their life experience with hope, strength, and joy.

We are currently working on a wish from an 11 year old boy in Oceanside that wants more than ever to be Anakin. He is totally emersed in Star Wars.

We have the resources to make a professional 10-15 minute movie with a blue background. I must confess that I have very little knowledge about what else can be done to pull this off.

Having an active part in a production as Anakin will provide joyful memories that his family can treasure for years to come.

Best Wishes,
    JR Wall"

For those that aren't familiar with Make-A-Wish, the organization grants the request of terminally ill children. It's one of the most heartbreaking but rewarding things you can do for someone.

When I get the shooting date, I'm going to spam this out to the other Southern California clubs.

2. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    AWWWW....thats so cool, anything I can do to help, I will, especially since he is a part of MY community...

3. Tal-Kender

Tal-Kender Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2002
    When they figure out exactly what is needed (script, extras, costuming, etc) I volunteer!

Jess

4. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    The person was hoping for December, but there is major conflict there.

I've asked for a script to see what the production requirements are.

5. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    you might want to let them know what costume types are available from the various clubs...

if he wants to be a prequel era anakin, i'm sure there's lots of other jedi who can be in a film with him.

6. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    In all honesty, I am not sure what I can do, as I have no acting experience, and no technical skills, but u never know...

7. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Basically they're looking for costumed people to be in the production but the December time frame is a huge conflict with other events.

I've already mentioned we have a Shaak-Ti and Kit Fisto, but we still have some details to work out. I need to contact my friend who does Obi-Wan.

8. FLY_JEDI

FLY_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    RE-POSTED from the SDSWS site:

Donna -

Reading this post breaks my heart but also makes me over-joyed that we can provide whatever comfort that we can to others and their families. With a 2 year-old daughter of my own, I can't imagine what it would be like to deal with the realities of something like this for my child or my family. PLEASE count me in on WHATEVER I can do to support this WISH. I am lucky that with my job, I have a flexible enough schedule to be available for something as special as this.

This is the type of stuff that makes me happy to be a part a great organization like this!

Thanks for posting this!

9. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I have some acting experience and a prequel era Jedi costume and would love to help out if they need an extra Jedi or just someone to go get coffee. ;) Please keep us posted on this as I am in So Cal and have a very flexible schedule throughout December.

I get enough joy just being in costume at events and seeing lots of kids (and adults) smile, but if I can help make one very ill kid happy, all the better!

10. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I have filmmaking experience as well as Kit Fisto and Mandalorian costumes.

11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I have, unfortunately, no costume nor anything helpful to give, but if you need ANYTHING, please tell me. I owe the Make-A-Wish Foundation a lot, considering they helped my friend before she died of Leukemia.

12. jacen66

jacen66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2004
    I am willing to help in any way. I only have the one costume so I don't know if A reb pilot would be right for the shoot.

Donna,
    Do you know if make a wish has contacted Lucas Films? I would think that Mary Franklin could be alot of help here. I would think that the Lucas team of companies would be happy to help out this young kid.

That is just my idea I have no idea if it is our place to ask.

13. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Count me in too.

The costumes I have are Jedi, X-Wing pilot, Stormtrooper or Sandtrooper, Royal Guard and Tie Pilot. I could also loan out my costumes for others to wear if needed. I have some lightsabers and blasters. Perhaps we could all pitch in some money and buy him a Parksaber? Or maybe Jeff would give us one at a reduced price?

Have you contacted Steve Sansweet or Mary Franklin, perhaps they could do something for the child... heck, maybe they could even get Hayden to come down and meet the kid if he is available during that time. And I'm pretty sure the So Cal 501st and most of the So Cal Fanforce chapters would love to help as well.

14. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Here's my post from the other board:

Here's more news. And it's really, really good!

Trey Stokes, who made "Pink Five" and "Pink Five Strikes Back", is shooting the last of the trilogy "The Return of Pink Five" in Los Angeles during December. Because alot of costumed folks are going to particpate in that, it was hard to do this project as well. I wrote Trey and asked if we could "piggy-back" our project with his. He said if we could pick a weekday during the week of December 13th, we could have the entire studio with greenscreen and crew. We could make a really professional production.

I also contacted Mary Franklin at LFL and she is going to have their publicity person who works with Make-A-Wish contact me about this.

Miana, I have a spare Jedi outfit you can wear if you want to participate. I'm also going to ask my friend who does a great Obi-Wan to come down and help out.

The ball is rolling folks!

All your suggestions are great. I'll ask the LFL publicity person when they contact me. Let me know how flexible you guys are for a weekday shoot. Donny, I would love you to do Kit Fisto and Michelle to do Shaak Ti it possible.

The person who contacted me isn't a Star Wars fan, so I'm kind of "taking control" to help get this organized.

15. Resilient

Resilient Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2003
    That's finals week for me.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    My last final is the 10th, I'm going home the 11th, so I am definitely free.

Donna, that would be totally awesome.

Since I'll be home, I'll have a car, or, if I can sweet talk my dad, I'll have a truck, so if you need anything hauled, just tell me!

17. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Bummer Michelle. :(

Do you have finals every day that week? Is there a day you don't have one and could give us a few hours of your time.

I understand if you can't make it; school is important.

18. vkyoshi

vkyoshi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    i would realy like to be part of this , but weekdays are bad for me ( my work load is nuts right now ).

however i will call in a few favors mabey i can put in a few more 11 & 12 hour days between now and then . i'll see what i can do . i'd have to borrow a saber though .

anyway DON'T count on me till i say for sure , but i'll try my best.

PS : i'm a lousy actor for some one who was a drama major but i'm realy good at standing around .

19. Nala_Alturi

Nala_Alturi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Greetings from the LAFF.
    Well I am not really in Los Angeles right now :confused: I am in San Diego but I am from the LAFF :D
    Anyway can I be in this?
    I will make and wear any costume he wants me to be
    just let me know who,what,and where to be.
    I have a little acting experience along with
    Background,Stand-In,Special FX Makeup.

20. wraithsqd

wraithsqd Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2003
    i will do anything you all need me to do i have sith robes and i want to help

21. FLY_JEDI

FLY_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Any day during the week of Dec 13th is fine with me as long as I can get a couple days advance notice. I can come and participate dressed as a Jedi, if needed. Count me in!

22. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Kevin! Where have you been, buddy?

Yes to everyone. Come regardless of your acting abilities. We're getting a studio with all equipment and crew so we just need bodies in front of the camera. I haven't seen a script yet, so I don't know the specifics. But I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Thanks everyone for being so generous with your time and talents.

23. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i'd like to help - i can probably take a day off work..

24. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Hmmmm, movie title comes to mind: "Anakin Versus the Giant Jawa of Doom" [face_laugh]

I just talked to my contact, JR, and he said:

"Emerald (Emmie) would wet his pants if we could pull something like this (shooting in LA) off."

That sounds encouraging to me. :D

25. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Kevin, did you get my note?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.