main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Request From Make-A-Wish

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by GreyJedi, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Resilient

Resilient Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2003
    I'll be able to send you mine sometime during the 1st/2nd week of January.

2. Svoor

Svoor Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2004
    I can send her the ones you have posted in your Lj, Res. ;P

3. FLY_JEDI

FLY_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Rachel - You're Welcome for the YodaLegos... Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!

4. Resilient

Resilient Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2003
    You could Svoor but those are low res and pixilated in places because I didn't have photoshop to reduce their size but keep their visual integrity. ;p

5. GreyJedi

GreyJedi Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    January is fine. We all need a breather until after the holidays. :)

6. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    There was a little blurb about the make a wish thing in the North County Times...

The Make A Wish foundation recently took Oceanside resident Emerald "Emmie" and his family to meet some of the cast and crew members from the Star Wars movie. He also made his own short film with the help of some dedicated volunteers from the Star Wars Club of San Diego. A limo drove Emmie and his family to the meeting site, where they met the cast and crew of 30 people who assisted him, including helping with the wardrobe, make-up actors and, a film crew. Star Wars star Mark Hamel showed Emmie how to fight with the famous light swords. Emmie is battling sickle cell anemia. Make A Wish spokeswoman Rachel Gershwin said the foundation doesn't release last names of participants.

I love how they called lightsabers "light swords," called us the Star Wars Club of San Diego, and spelled Mark Hamill's last name as "Hamel." Does anyone proofread these columns?

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Obviously not. :p

The best I ever saw was an add for a costume sale. It included "The Jeedi costume for O-B-1 Kenobee and Aniken Skywalker." :rolleyes:

8. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Darn newspaper people can never get anything right.

Aniken Skywalker: long lost cousin of Anakin never spoken about in the Skywalker family due to his poor grooming habits and career as a bantha poodoo distributor. ;)

9. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    that last sentence of the news item is all-important!

10. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I saw something worse than that article... which is proof positive that the non-fan has no clue about Star Wars. At a website for weddings, they had a cake topper which was Luke and Leia together.... um... shouldn't that be Han not her brother? Maybe those sell well in Tenessee or something... I dunno. :p

Star Wars Club of San Diego... hmph... grumble grumble.

11. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    they had a cake topper which was Luke and Leia together

Ok....EEEWWWW!!!!! [face_sick]

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Maybe Arkansas.... ;)

13. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Gee, I didn't know we were the cast and crew members from the Star Wars movie. ;)

It would be nice if reporters would do some research before printing these things. All they had to do was visit the site for all the information. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Can you save the article, Donny? We can put it in the album, along with a correction.

14. FLY_JEDI

Nov 15, 2004
    The least the reporter could do is to make a decent effort in making the reported information correct. That's just his job. Leave it to the North County Times...

15. vkyoshi

vkyoshi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2003
    i did a little jornalism back in school and these little fillers were usaly given to some intern whos trying to get out of the copy room but has no idea what he is doing.
    see the bigist mistake the writers make is thinking they already know about there subject and don't even think about doing any research .
    they just sit down with the one or two "facts" they have and crank something out.
    of course it could be that the writer just didn't care and wanted to go home .

this is rampant in the media it's just that most of us do not know enough about the subject to realise that what we're hearing on the news is factualy wrong .

my favorite was on a story about a lunar eclipse were the reporter explained that the reason the moon would apear brown was becuse " the light from the sun was passing through the earth ".

16. Nala_Alturi

Nala_Alturi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Where can I find the little blurb about Make A Wish in the North County Times?
    I want to know who wrote this.

17. FLY_JEDI

Nov 15, 2004
  18. Nala_Alturi

Nala_Alturi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 16, 2002
    Thank You FLY_JEDI for the link.
    I think J. Stryker Meyer should be shown
    The Star Wars Holiday Special,followed buy 2 hours of
    JarJar Binks for as a reward for all his hard work.

19. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Thanks for the link, Edgar. There is a phone number for the reporter so I might call him tomorrow. His statements can have a few repercussions for us if the "suits" at LFL saw this. Fortunately Mary Franklin is aware of the project.

Still, a little fact-checking wouldn't have hurt.

I found an e-mail address for the columnist and sent him the following:

Mr. Meyer:

Your piece on the Make-A-Wish project for Emmie was full of many errors that could potentially have a repercussion for the volunteers who worked on this project. Should the lawyers from LucasFilm, Ltd assume that we are styling ourself as part of their company, they would shut down our club (the San Diego Star Wars Society - www.sandiegostarwars.com) without hesitation.

First of all, no one associated with the project works or has worked for LucasFilm, Ltd. Although the company is aware of the project, they are located in Northern California and had no direct association with the film shoot. Production location and crew were donated by Truly Dangerous, Co. (www.trudang.com) headed by Trey Stokes, an award-winning filmmaker.

Secondly, Mr. Mark Hamill was invited to meet Emmie at the request of producer Chris Reed. Mr. Hamill did not instruct Emmie in lightsaber moves. Our swordmaster was Charles Boling of Visalia, CA who is a memeber of the Tulare FanForce (a regional Star Wars club).

Thirdly, only two of the volunteers are current members of the Screen Actors Guild but have never worked on any of the Star Wars movies.

I would hope that the NCT would be willing to print a correction to this article. Mistakes such as these can cause legal problems with copyright owners. All of the information on the film shoot was freely available from our club message board and the site I especially developed for the volunteers.

Donna Keeley - Project Coordinator
    Secretary
    San Diego Star Wars Society
    www.sandiegostarwars.com

20. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    chances are, that for a daily paper like the NC Times, they won't issue corrections for articles that are more than a week old. then again, what else does the NC times have to do?

21. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    At least you tried, GreyJedi. And since Mary Franklin is aware of everything..they can see that it was definitely not our fault and we are trying to correct the situation ASAP. Ah....in-depth reporting...gotta love it.

22. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Actually the writer answered me this morning. I just asked for a statement that our club is not affiliated with LFL, if possible.

I also let him know about our line event; it definitely helps to make friends with the media. :D

23. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Way to go Donna...

24. GreyJedi

May 16, 2002
    Hey Tony! Nice to see you back on the boards.

I have your t-shirt when you're ready to pick it up. Or come to the laser tag event and get it (and anyone else who didn't get theirs). :)

25. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Yeah, srry for not havin time to post much...Work has been hell..I mean that litteraly, but I had the day off today. Xmas was good.

P.S.- Ryan is in town for the week....Woot!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.