main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

REQUEST-Please pay attention to what forum you are in.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth-Dispicable, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I agree. Let them create a thread if they want in CT and agree not to go in there and bring up EU. It's really not that hard to do, nor is it hard to accept.

You can argue all you want, but nothing is going to be done. I think creating a thread in CT is a good solution to this problem, heck not even create a thread, but to agree to abide by the perameters set forth by the original poster. So if three threads are created and they all ask for no EU answers, then create your own answer and post it. You never know, it could be fun. You and I know what the EU says, and we accept it as canon. However, it could be fun to speculate no matter what. :)

D-D: You are welcome, :)

2. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    A sound metaphor, but a bit flawed, especially in the context of the greater discussion that has been this thread. I believe Darth-Dispicable's original complaint was that of people using EU-supported ideas to support FILM discussion.

I believe, actually, that it is apropos in the context of the specific debate in which it was raised within the thread. That context was a thread coming from a common viewpoint (i.e., EU-based speculation or answers is off-topic), which asked a question, only to be answered by EU-sources. Hence, the response deliberately violates the spirit of the opening post, and hence, is comparable to posting that the "Handmaidens suck!"

So, to recap, yes, the example is not an instance of the specific complaint raised by D-D initially, but it is an instance of what the discussion became.

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Letting them have a thread or two is fine, but since it's directed at all the movie forums, (in turn all the movies), shouldn't it be created here in SWC?

Or perhaps have a seperate rule system for this forum (as I earlier stated would be fine if it is set in the welcome thread or an official thread detailing the new rules), so that all those discussions could take place in this forum? That way, the rules in the other forums stay as they are, and here could be a place for that type of discussion.

I mean, this used to be called "Star Wars Miscellaneous" before the split, and that would allow for "miscellaneous" speculation and discussion.

4. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Letting them have a thread or two is fine, but since it's directed at all the movie forums, (in turn all the movies), shouldn't it be created here in SWC?

That would be up to the individual forum moderators.

5. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Are you now doubling back on your word?

Not at all. For one, I'm agreeing with the rules set forth in the other forums, as they provide the compromise I speak of. I'm saying that since this forum has yet to adopt any official rules that I know of for EU usage, some need to be set in place, and following in the footsteps of the rules that the other forums have set in place is the way to go, instead of being unique and allowing other users to dictate whether or not the thread allows all-inclusive opinions. Either way, I'll accept and go by the rules.

It seems that we have found a common ground, I agree that it should be clarified in the official rules. As it stands now the only ones who will know of this decision by Quixotic will be the ones that post here, making it official would clear up a major portion of the confusion.

But regardless of that, Quixotic is the 1/2 of the mods that have resposibility for this forum and his decisions should be respected. I let him know in the PM that I sent him that I would abide by his decision 100% even if it did go against my wishes.

EDIT By the way isn't it considered appropriate to PM a mod if you disagree with their decisions? I thought so but if I am wrong let me know.

As it is directly related to the subject, and also was much in debate with you have been saying, I felt it was appropriate to post everything here.

Ok, that is cool. Like I said I was not sure if this was an official request by the mods or not, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

Errant_Venture No problem, respect is a two way street and you have been very respectful during this crazy debate. I tend to not forget those that make me feel comfortable discussing an opposing opinion, and you have my utmost respect for doing just that. Thank you.

Jedi Merkurian posted: I have a suggestion, and the precedent alreay exists: Let Darth-Despicable, Daughter_Of_TheForce, and whoever else create an 3SA Thread that we EUDF-ers designate a "No Fly Zone" as a gesture of respect, much as we did with the "Ex-U" thread for AotC-SA.

Is "3SA" the EP3 Spoilers allowed forum? I would rather not venture into spoiler territory but if that is what is decided I will do that happily.

This is the best thing I have heard so far, and it would appease both sides of the argument. You rock.

Ezekial posted: I believe Darth-Dispicable's original complaint was that of people using EU-supported ideas to support FILM discussion.

If you kept up on my posts you would have noticed that I offered a compromise to help resolve this issue.

I think the original thing we were fighting for was that EU-related ideas pertaining to film be allowed in an ordinary, unmarked film topic.

This is the exact compromise that I proposed, that offer was to post that I would appreciate only material from the films and was told by 2 of your co-members that they still would not accept this. I don't mind what you post in a thread that is unmarked.

By the way, do any of you that feel "EU is being forced upon you" have any intention of starting an EU-free film thread? If such is the case, why don't you do so, and perhaps we can end this debate and go about our separate ways.

As soon as people stop saying they will post EU material in my threads no matter what I request I will do just that, but not until then.

6. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    I think now all that is left to decide is mainly which forums the "no fly zone for EUDF" threads should be posted in, and how many types of those is allowed. Like Quix said, it's up to the forum mod, but I think the purists should get to decide where exactly they want these particular threads.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Hence, the response deliberately violates the spirit of the opening post, and hence, is comparable to posting that the "Handmaidens suck!"

I understand what you are saying, and I don't belive you are wrong, however I do think the two examples are coming from two different viewpoints. The handmaiden example is clearly an example of bashing, while someone replying to a film question with an EU answer is probably not doing so out of spite.

The EU-minded fan is only providing a response that he or she feels is worth while, and while that may not be appropriate in the thread, it is a far cry from trolling.

Again, don't take such a response as a personal insult, because chances are it is probably just the rumblings of a fan who enjoys EU as much as the films, not someone out on a vengeful quest to shove unwanted information down your throat. Again, all I want is for everyone to have an open-mind, and stop taking everything so personally.

As soon as people stop saying they will post EU material in my threads no matter what I request I will do just that, but not until then.

If you would have kept up with my posts, you would have seen that I have agreed to withhold any EU-related discussion in any such thread that you make. I'm more than willing to accept the terms you make for your threads. Just post me the link of your thread when you make it, and I'll gladly post according to the guidelines you set.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "Is '3SA' the EP3 Spoilers allowed forum? I would rather not venture into spoiler territory but if that is what is decided I will do that happily."

Out of respect for those who wish to remain spoiler-free, perhaps the best place would be in SWSaga. That way, you'd be able to discuss various aspects of the two trilogies altogether. You could designate it as being both spoiler-free and EU-free.

9. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Could it not be as easy as this??

Thread title-How long until ROTJ after ESB?

We respond- it seems to be about a year, (EU explanation below)

The novel shadows of the empire which was in between ESB and ROTJ spaced it about a year IIRC.

Take it or leave it, ignore or don't
    Others are bound to post their non-EU opinions anyway.

10. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    HFT: That's the point we've been trying to make the whole time. :p

11. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I hope this thread gets locked soon. [face_plain]

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
Thread Status: