main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Requiem for a Padawan: A Jedi Apprentice Fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi, Oct 2, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
  2. Jedi Master Ann'ho Fiida

Jedi Master Ann'ho Fiida Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 1999
    Strange things are afoot on this thread.

3. Jedi Erica Amidala

Jedi Erica Amidala Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 1999
    Post.......please!!!!!!!

*Faints from being kept in suspense for so long

4. MrsKenobi

MrsKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 26, 1999
    *MrsKenobi holds a moment of silence out of respect for Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi's amazing story.*
    I printed this story out sunday, and couldn't put it down. Thank you JOWK for writing and sharing it! It was brilliant. I'm lending it to some other friends at school cause I know they'd like it, too And I hope that you become a writer some day that way we can always read your work!

5. Andraia

Andraia Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 1999
    just wonderin' what happened to this tread...

6. Sat'zi

Sat'zi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2000
    It's been continued and finished at another thread entitled More Requiem for a Padawan.

7. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    test.. this is only a test.

If this post shows up, then darthcleo's little experiment worked.

8. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 1999
    Man, I wonder where the rest of this went......

9. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jul 14, 1999
    Okay, here it is
    To read the rest of this story, please go to:
    Forum16/HTML/000151.html Forum16/HTML/000151.html

10. Inuchan

Inuchan Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2000
    I use Adobe Premier and Photoshop. Could someone point me to a tutorial on how to do title effects like in the movie using just these programs?

Thanks,
    Inuchan

11. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    The scrolling text is done in Adobe After Effects. You can also use 3d Studio Max and Lightwave with good results.

Azeem
    TFN FanFilms

12. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Axogon also does it nicely, too.

13. tcheb

tcheb Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2000
    Actually, I can only get decent results out of Axogon. I've got some distortion at the bottom of the screen, and the text never looks crisp.

Don't get me wrong, I love axogon, though.

Anyone know a good precessor script for the credits?

14. Griff_Chukra

Griff_Chukra Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2000
    I used 3d MAX for my movie with the original scrolling background of ROTJ as an enviroment (render enviroment). I tried at first with the max' videopost but I saw it wasn't really necessary...

15. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Hi again... by now, most of you have probably figured out that i am partial to the old ways of filmmaking... though they may sometimes may take a little longer, they are sometimes easier, too... if you can't figure out away to do the scrolling text in a fashion that is acceptable to you, you could try it the old fashioned way... set up your text on a platform... yellow words printed on a bluescreen background... take your digital, video, super 8, whatever camera, suspend it on a track over the text platform. angle the camera to get the scrolling into the distance effect, move the camera...
    now, like i said, this may or may not be more complicated than rendering... i am not a computer expert, so i have to rely more on these techniques... if you do use this, however, it is better if your camera has built in image stablization, because building a steadycam rig isn't always easy, and it tends to be bulky... but, if it's done right, you will get a very authentic look, more reminiscent of the original film... low budget? yes... and maybe a little unnecessary, but it is an idea, and that's what we're here for, right?

16. jedi000

jedi000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2000
    I was just wondering if there is any advantages to using lightwave. I am currently using Cinema 4d XL because it was convenient. Also, are the files transferrable (can I import my .c4d files to lightwave?) Thanks.

17. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    There are about 2000 advantages to using LW over C4D, and 100's over using it over other applications , even MAX. I think C4D shoulda been a stepping stone. You are gonna have to learn new apps all the time, so you can't avoid that.

Another thing is the most popular apps get the support. That includes user support and 3rd party support the way of plugins. Lets put it this way, not only will no program import C4D, but even the latest version of my format conversion software will NOT import C4D. LW will do 3DS import only I think. Maybe DXF too.

18. jedi000

Apr 20, 2000
    So, basically, I should ditch C4d and jump on the Lightwave Bandwagon? I am primarily concerned with rendering quality. What specific advantages does LW have over it's competitors? I'm just trying to get every side of this topic. (btw, I can import 3ds models, but not max, or dxm (whatever that format is). I agree that I should switch because if I'm going to be having several people working with me on effects, I should be user-friendly. thanks for your help.

19. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Like I told somebody else you can check a recent thread for info on buying educational versions and/or finding warez versions.

If you do that, and have the horsepower, you could use LW, MAX, even SoftImage if you want. It's all there in warez channels. I'm not saying anything is better than something else. That is purely speculative and based on opinion. LW is known for it's excellent renderer. But there's always a price in terms of rendering time. Play with warez versions and make your own choice is the best advice.

3DS is easily imported into any app. BUT that does not mean it will come in clean. Sometimes not at all, or just the maps are screwed. No way around that. DXF is the autocad format. If you're on MAC I think there are some other things....Ray Dream, and some others. PLay with them all. MAX and LW are the best 2 since they are the most supported and most feature-laden. And of course if you go up a notch you get even more power with SoftImage, Maya, etc. But they are much more difficult to learn and require heavy-duty systems.

20. jedi000

Apr 20, 2000
    Well, I've been looking into obtaining Lightwave to check it out. I gave up the 'pride of modeling all my own stuff for my movie' So, I would like a program (like lightwave) that can import multiple formats. So, you say that the render is a very high quality (compared to C4d) but is slower? Also, does LW have velocity curves (to ease in and out of motions)?

21. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Of course. Ease in, Ease out, and curves, etc. All sorts of motion controllers(that's a MAX term I think). They all call it something different.

I wouldn't say it was slower. That is part of what you pay for. The research gone into the renderer. So compared to C4D it's probably 5x better at 1/2 the speed.

22. jedi000

Apr 20, 2000
    Cool! Can't wait to see it! Just waiting to check it out. Will let you know (and I'm sure I'll be posting all kinds of questions).

BTW - when you mean 5X better quality, what do you mean? The details are rendered better? It looks more realistic? just a little clarification would help.

23. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

Sep 10, 1999
    Yea, just better. In every way. Usually people are referring to photorealism. In most cases that is the ultimate goal of graphics. To look real. To get raytraced quality in as short as time possible.

24. Kenobi Maul

Kenobi Maul Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 1999
  25. Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi

Jul 14, 1999
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.