main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

researching a new book on Star Wars fans

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by will_brooker, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. will_brooker

will_brooker Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2005
    hi everyone -- I pmed a moderator to see if it was OK for me to post this here, but had no reply as yet. Hope it is acceptable.

I am the author of several articles and one book (Using the Force, 2002) on Star Wars and its fans. I've recruited people for interview from TF.N in the past.

I'm currently in discussion about a new, commercial and popular book on British Star Wars fans, and for the proposal I need to include a sample chapter.

So for that, I'll need to interview at least one fan, preferably in or near to London as that's where I live, within the next few weeks. I'd then write that up as a chapter of some 4000 words to support the book proposal.

This chapter would just be an introduction to a fan (or 2 fans) and the way Star Wars influences their daily lives -- internet communities, regular viewings of the films, toys, costume, discussion with friends and so on.

If you'd be interested in and willing to take part, which would mean letting me come round to where you live within the next month to interview you and take some photos, please email me
    with your name, age, location and a few paragraphs about your involvement with Star Wars (eg. when you first saw it, what it means in your life, how it's influenced you, how it affects your day to day existence now)

on will_brooker (at) hotmail.com

Thanks very much in advance.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Due to a slow response I will try to help in as meagre way I can.

I can't meet with you unforetunatly due to me being based in Manchester however if you had simple snapshot questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

You could possibly get an indepth interview with a London bod for the bulk of it but get some supporting material from a handful of fans throughout the country.

If this is an idea you like the sound of then I'll be happy to answer any questions you want to PM me. If its out of the scope of what your looking to do or just doesn't fit in with your plans then I wish you luck with the book.
    :)

3. will_brooker

Oct 4, 2005
    For this sample extract I do need to meet someone in person and spend at least a few hours with them, probably in their home environment -- but thanks [face_batting]

So many smileys I hope I chose an appropriate one there.

4. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    I could do this.
    Not sure about the interview at home thing, but I would be willing to meet maybe.

Just throwing it out there!
    Or was that a stick?
    Guess we will see if a dog brings it back!

5. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

It'll do. :p

[face_batting] usually means being cheaky :) Is a safe bet usually but I know what you mean with too many smillies.

However all to often I find myself looking for a smillie that doesn't exist which can be very frustrating.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm actually a Yank living in the UK, but I at least live near London. I am out near Heathrow Airport.
    I'd be willing to meet up, but at a public place to begin with since I don't know you. I am probably one of the older fans (and mods) here.

7. will_brooker

Oct 4, 2005
    Thanks Laj_Fett, and Jimbo. Yes, meeting in a public place is of course the best idea -- I don't know any of you either! If you're not comfortable interviewing at home, I understand that too. Whatever you're OK with, though it would help me to see any collections you have of SW merchandise and so on.

Could you both mail me with your details and so on as per my original post? And that applies to anyone else reading who might be interested. I can use more than one person so feel free to email.

Time for another smiley experiment I think.

:)

8. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Sounds like a cool book. Heres how it effects my life:

Everything. I get up and put on Darth Vader Slippers. I go onto my computer and my homepage if TF.N and TF.N and OT.com are both always up on my PC. I got to school with 3 toy lightsabers in my pocket (me and my friends call it the General Grevious Cult) I quote Star wars to my friends (I even wrote 'I've never seen anything that would make me think there one all powerfull force that controlls my destiny.'- A variation on a Han Solo quote in my RS book) I go home and more Star wars forums. My room is a shrine to Star wars I have over 50 SW DVD's. My school bag has the Imperial insignia on it.

I live star wars.

9. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    You're quite welcome to come round to ours. Me and the wife live in Kingston upon Thames and are proud geeks. We have Darth Vader stood in the front room and a small but growing collection of toys, books and posters etc. We both have quite high quality costumes and attended Revenge of the Sith on May 19 at Leicester Square dressed as Vader and a Jedi. Any way, if you fancy a chat wether or not you want to use us, pm me or email me at darthkonikus@hotmail.co.uk. :)

BTW, Follow the link below my signature to have a look at Vader in my front room.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you hit the link in my signature you can see some older pics of my Fett collection. They need updating though for the new stuff!

11. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Why only UK fans :_|

No seriously, why? :p

12. will_brooker

Oct 4, 2005
    Thanks for the new replies! I hope to read and respond tomorrow. Thanks also for the one email I've received so far.

Why British fans only: for practical reasons. If the project does go ahead, it will involve ten fans travelling (with me as researcher) on the SW pilgrimage to the Tatooine locations of Tunisia -- and the organisation of that trip will be challenging enough with just British participants, I think.

I have written about American fans before, though.

13. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Kart's an Aussie :p

14. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

Will you be paying? :D

15. will_brooker

Oct 4, 2005
    I don't think so! It would be fair and nice all round if I could pay, but I don't believe I'd be making enough money out of it.

Anyway I have two email volunteers now, which is great... probably enough for now, thanks everyone. If the project does go ahead I will know in the next few months I think, and I may put a request on the main TF.N board for participants. But if you're interested in getting in early, my email is up there. [face_mischief]

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that I met up with Will Brooker at a local pub today - it was an interesting experience! I had a good time... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.