main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resident Evil 4

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Anakin_Skywalker021, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    That was lame.

I can understand that the MGS storylines are, convoluted to an extreme, but they are at least keep you attention and have a great CORE story.

2. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    All I got to say is look at the sales charts and look at the the ratings charts. Case closed there.

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I'm not denying that they sell great and bring in great scores. I just think the series is overrated, besides perhaps GTA3 - which was actually sort of original. Vice City and San Andreas simply take the same formula and throw in new environments and extras, such as being able to get haircuts and work out or gain weight and whatnot - and that's fine. But really, there's nothing immediately revolutionary about it, and to pick up titles such as "game of the year" and "story of the year," especially when sided next to products such as Metal Gear Solid 3, Ninja Gaiden, and Halo 2, well, I personally feel that's a bit extreme. Metal Gear Solid 3's story left a huge emotional impact on me - nothing a GTA game could ever imagine doing. They have cool little stories, sure, but nothing deep, complex, or as emotionally satisfying as MGS3. Not even close. And yes, MGS2 had a convoluted story, but MGS3's was easier to understand, more straightforward, and not very convoluted at all.

A lot of gamers aren't very interested in story aspects though, which is why GTA:SA won game of the year at several different award shows/websites in 2004. But saying it has a better story than Metal Gear Solid 3, I believe, is entirely criminal.

4. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    " A lot of gamers aren't very interested in story aspects though, which is why GTA:SA won game of the year at several different award shows/websites in 2004. But saying it has a better story than Metal Gear Solid 3, I believe, is entirely criminal. "

For the ultimate truth. No game could touch MGS 3 story this year. It was... to big for words. The final scene with the salute and the single tear and the music... probably the greatest moment in gaming history.

5. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Well good thig I picked up a GC not long ago...I'll get this - I've heard it's incredible. Plus I need more games for the road.

6. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I can't stand it when people say sales says enough.

Fast and The Furious made money in the box office... I wouldn't exactly call that quality film.

That's like taking seriously Spike TV's Madden as game of the year :/

I can understand why there are people that like GTA. I can see the appeal. But honors should go to games that innovate greatly or are just outstanding in every level.

Let the moron awards stay with Spike TV.

I expect more from real gaming sites and magazines.

7. Leonard_Shelby

Leonard_Shelby Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 31, 2002
    *reads the last several posts*

So...is this a Resident Evil 4 thread...or what? :p

Anyways...picked the game up yesterday. Friggin' awesome. The visuals and atmosphere is amazing...as it usually is in a RE game (this is easily the best it has ever been, though). The trip-wire explosives and getting my foot caught in a bear trap scared the piss outta me. I literally jumped when it happened. I got my head lopped off with a chainsaw, too. That's never any fun. :(

Awesome, awesome stuff. Can't wait to delve into it some more.

I still can't get over the fact that I heard the "S" word in a Nintendo game... :p

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I just beat the game today after about 22 hours of gameplay and I must say that it absolutely blew me away. It was just challenging enough to make me keep trying again and again at the parts I got stuck on (lousy Krauser!) I highly recommend this game to anyone whether you're a fan of the originals or not. My buddy who had only played a little bit of the Remake kept coming over just to watch me play. Even he fell in love with the game.

9. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    My buddy just got this game and I watched him play the other night. It looks pretty incredible, I was real impressed with the graphics and the gameplay.

10. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    //Finds this thread on page 3 on a 50 thread setting

:eek: You gotta be kidding me, that this thread is NOT a very active thread right now.

I also blame myself, for not commenting here, but still how is this thread NOT on the top of page 1?

THIS GAME IS SO GORGEOUS!!!!!

Oh, I love everything about this game.

Great inventory! Great items! Great map! Great weapons! Great controls! Great dialogs! Great gameplay! Great story! Great Animations! No. AWESOME Animations!!!

Cutscenes are just :eek: Jaw Dropping!!!

I LOVE Resident Evil 4 so much, 10/10!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO ALL RE FANS, OR GC OWNERS!!!

I wish there are more games made like this. It's rare!!!

11. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    It is like having hot bubbling joy poured onto, and letting it seep into every crevase on your body. And it's a good feeling.

12. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    There..is just no way this can work on the PS2 without looking like utter crap or restructuring the game. They couldn't even port Resident Evil 0! How are they supposed to make THIS work?

13. DJ_RMC

DJ_RMC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    I can't even get this game cause I only have a PS2.

14. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Gamecube's saving grace = RE games!!!

15. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    So I finally got RE4 over the weekend and played it for 16 hours so far. All I can say is *wow*, this game is great!
    Great story, great control, great graphics....a damn good game for the series - best of the RE games I've played since toe original IMO.

16. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    I think I might be forced to set aside my PS2 and X-Box, and dust off my Gamecube for this baby. I've been following it off and on, and I heard it was great...and now I see that the hype may've been correct. This game is worth it?

~Vassago

17. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    Word from Capcom is they're having a horrid time porting to PS2. There's talk on Teletext in the UK (actually an extremely good source) that polygon counts will be halved in some areas (Main characters) with a possibility of more textures at the expense of load times.

I wouldn't wait for the PS2 itteration if anyone's thinking of it.

18. Psycho_Sith

Aug 3, 2003
    vassago, it is that good bro...IMO it is. Opinions always vary in what's *good* but I got it and have not been let down once with this game.
    The environments are great, the "spooky factor" is there in full with the lighting, fog and sound effects. The control is great and once you get it down you can really blaze through reloading, toggling and so on.
    I really like the features where the "A" button prompts things such as kicking, pushing off/kicking enemies, cutting ropes and such, jumping things, hopping fences - I think it adds a lot to this game.
    .....you can even shoot the little animals in the game for things like money(to buy better weapons), health and so on.
    I'd never hurt an animal in person...but in a video game it does make me laugh to shoot a cow in the head at point blank range with a shotgun or pick crows out of the sky.

*sorry this was so long...but this game owns*

19. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Well I rented and beat this game this week.

I like it. I liked it a lot.

I was a bit disappointed that about 2/3rds of the way through the game seemed to give up on trying to be a survival horror game and just became a shooter with each area being a shoot through all the bad guys to get to the other door.. with maybe find the keys while shooting to spice it up a bit. Basically once you pass the castle level it?s just shoot your way across the island. Even the castle levels are boarder line between Survival horror and just a shooter.

Don't get me wrong I still liked the game but It felt more like a very very much improved Gun Survivor RE game than it did the other Normal RE game. (did that make sense) Not necessarily a bad thing but enough to keep me from calling it the best in the series. Other RE games are best played by avoiding shooting anything unless absolutely necessary so you can save your ammo for bigger badder things to come.

I was never hurting for ammo and I didn't even bother buying the improved pistols or the higher end shotguns. I just upgraded the standard ones for both. I did buy the automatic Rifle but not until after the Castle portion where I failed trying to cover for Ashley from a balcony above her using just the Pistol. Good thing too since you need the rifle with the infrared scope later in the game for sure.

Heck I finished the game with Over 30 rounds of Magnum ammo unused in my inventory.. absolutely unheard of in a RE game ever. (didn't buy the magnums from the dealer but I did find one in a room in the Castle) Only used grenades a couple of times and those were boss fights.

20. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Finally finished it!

This was an absolutely incedible game. Just about perfect in every imaginable way. I say just about perfect because there was one gripe I had.

I pretty much had the same issue with it that Doright did. I didn't like how it just stopped being a survival-horror game and became a shooter. That whole sequence at the end with Leon storming the final stronghold with the support fire from the helo was like something straight out of 'Rambo'. It was pretty cool, but I just didn't feel like it belonged in a RE game.

But that's really just a minor gripe. Everything from the graphics to the gameplay was flawlessly executed.

I give it a 9.5/10

21. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I totally agree. the graphics and game play were top notch all the way.

22. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Did you guys goto the gallery and get the bottlecaps?

23. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I got a couple of the bottle caps messing around a bit with the shooting gallery, but honestly, that mini-game isn't really diverse or entertaining enough to keep me interested.

Do you get anything worthwhile for collecting all the caps? If so, I might just schlog through it.

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Did you guys goto the gallery and get the bottlecaps?

I got one. Then I got kinda bored of shooting cardboard cutouts and went on with the real game. I haven't gone back yet to try and get any more.

25. manx7

manx7 Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2005
    (son of a tear) from your Signature you sound like a bit of a lady Killer but just how much do you really know about girls. have you ever been able to make a girls body tremble because she can no longer handle to sensation she's having, ever made a perfectly nice girl in every sense of the word start suddenly shouting swear words at you cos the feeling of pleasure running round her body at the point of climax is so intense that she forgets all of her usual values and just don't care what she says for that moment..... I Have My Son and i'm only 22 years old soon to be 23 on the 16th of this month but for some reason this chat site only let's me put my year of birth back to 1985 and no later. you should come to one of my swing parties i can think of 3 very nice girls off the top of my head that would love to try you out but if you never Satisfied them they wouldn't let you go till you for-fill you pupose. Think of it as death by sex, sounds good to me. I hear people like you go on all the time about how your this and how your that but when it comes to the crunch your all like rabbits in the head lights of a fast Approaching car not quite sure what to do for fear of making a mistake and your fantasy legend you built yourself is well and truly destroyed... dont take offence to this post my friend that's the last thing I want. I just get fed up with people pretending all the time, it gets really Boring so im just getting a few things of my chest...... p.s i have Multiple games consloes and have just bought the res evil 4 editon gamecube with game, havent played on it yet cos i've been well busy but after reading some of these post i have to say alot of the excitment has gone i'm not looking forward to it as much. bad graphics i can deal with **** story lines i can get round but nothing spoils a game more then not been able move properly and it been hard to do some of the most basic things. It's just simply bad design when game developers make a game hard by removing or not adding some of the most basic Physics that even a 4 year old could do but sadly that's the world we live in. Not many people care about how good a game is there only in it for the quick cash so they try to get the game out fast as poss while the markets hot leaving it still full of holes... thanks for listening.... bye for Now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.