main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Resident Evil: The Movie.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Syrix_Kahl, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    It's awesome. It's dark and scary (in places) but best of all, it's good right to the end.

I haven't played tha games.

Well, I have, but it's only ever been first level demos that freeze when you have to open the first door you come to. So I can't really compare the storyline, but I get the impression that it's a little different to what most gamers will know. At the same time, I don't think it strays too far either. Which is good. It's probably the first Game-to-Movie conversion that's worked, IMO (although I haven't seen Final Fantasy...).

Anyway, see it! All of you! Considering 2002 will be the year that will forever be remember for AOTC, RE is excellent. It's certainly getting a place on my favourite movies list!

And those of you who have seen it, what do you think of it? Has anyone here played the games? I know Scream has (at least, I'm pretty sure he has. I distinctly remember him saying, "I've played all the games."), anyone else?

Edit - Spelling

2. sirowein

sirowein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    Final Fantasy isn't bad. For an animated movie its probably excellent.

As far as resident evil is concerned I don't know that mush about it whats the premise?

3. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    I can try to have copies made before epII :)

4. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Well, as far as I know the games are about killing zombies and other members of the living dead.

As for the movie: In an underground complex known as The Hive, a top-secret virus is released. Every single worker in the complex is killed and The Hive is sealed, by a state of the art AI, known as The Red Queen.

A group of elite soldier type people are sent in to find out what happened.

And then things go bad.

It's kinda hard to explain without giving away relatively important plot points, but there you go.

BTW, my description of the movie above doesn't give away said plot points...

5. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    The games are great. i havent played the PS2 game, but Res Evil 2 on OSX is a good game. real creepy in parts.

6. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Wanted to see it, but haven't had the free-time yet. The sessions that I could make the start of all finish when I should be at work. :(

As for Final Fantasy, I liked it. Different to the games, but still a good movie.

7. opium

opium Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 1999
    I had to go to hold D's hand.

I thought it was OK, i liked the ending and the elevator bit and was pretty creeped out. I liked the butch chick's character the best and the music was cool.

8. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    The ending was great.

It also leaves it open for a sequel of sorts.

9. Kalor_Voe

Kalor_Voe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2000
    I loved it! Especially the ending.

I love movies that recapture that Aliens feeling. It's a good addition to the survival horror genre.

10. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    I'd love to see a Silent Hill movie

11. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    I've heard it's really crap. I haven't seen it, though - just what I heard.

Is it like FF? That was wicked. I loved every second of that movie !!

12. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    yeah i liked FF as well. Dunno what everyone was complaining about...

13. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    A friend of mine commented about a MAx Payne movie in the making. He also pointed out that the guy who plays the cop in Resident Evil practically is Max Payne (just look at him and you can't deny it).

Still, I think they should make a Half-Life movie. It's seeped in enough storyline to make it last. Personally, I'd do it a bit Tarantino-style, having the three storylines running simultaneously to a point where the three main characters burst into the same room.

Edit - Scream, I might be wrong, but I think a lot of die-hard FF Fans were expecting to see something similar to Final Fantasy 7 (which seems to be considered one of the better FF's). Meanwhile, the rest of the general public had been hyped up by pretty stupid reviewers, who wrote articles like, "You can't tell that they're not real actors" - when you obviously can. So when the movie *finally* (geddit?) screened, a lot of fans were disappointed and non-fans were also disappointed.

Again, having not seen it myself, I can't pass judgement, but one of these days I'm going to rent it out and see for myself. :)

14. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Well, for me and mine, I didn't catch all the hype and I haven't played the FF games (I know - kill me). Therefore I had absolutely no preconceived ideas that may ruin it for me. So I loved it.

I guess that's why I'm spoiler free for AOTC .... Hey, that ryhmes.

15. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    i hate the FF games. They're insanely boring...

16. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Wow, I thought this would be another Tobm Raider. Everyone who's see this has told me it's really good. I should make an effort to see it then. :)

17. Kalor_Voe

Jul 10, 2000
    Tomb Raider was in my mind too as I walked into the theater. I was pleasantly surprised.

Of course, now that YOUR expectations have been set high you'll be disappointed :)

18. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    That's not entirely true, Kalor. A friend of mine saw it on the first day (or night rather). He told me that it was the first scary movie that he's wanted to leave the cinema because of the scare/gross-out factor.

I had *that* in mind when I saw it.

19. Count_D

Count_D Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2002
    I liked Tomb Raider

20. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Might just have to go see it tomorrow :)

21. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Tomb Raider was average. It didn't try to be the game, but it didn't try to not be the game (if that makes sense). I haven't played all the games, so I might be mistaken here, but who was that tech-head guy (good guy)? And I'm pretty sure Lara's manservant is Chinese (at least, there was a Chinese manservant is number 2, I think). And why did they get Angelina Jolie to play Lara?

No offense, but she's not exactly English, like the chic they originally had lined up to play Lara (the original chic actually looked like Lara too, unlike Angelina).

All in all, Tomb Raider could have been so much more... if only they'd made the bad guys play a larger role.

For example, when I first say the trailer, with the bits of Lara fighting the robot, I though that the bad guy actually got his hands on the device and brought a robot from the future back into some temple... but no.

22. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    I didn't not like Tomb Raider because of Jolie (although, like Craig once said, her chest should get its own credit in the movie), but I thought it was just too kiddy and shlocky. It looked like it was trying to hard to be a blockbuster, when it really had nothing that would make it blockbuster material (besides the boobs).

23. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    Angelina was the reason I watched the movie. Angelina was the best thing in the movie.

24. Kalor_Voe

Jul 10, 2000
    I agree with Ki. Schlocky.
    I guess RE was pretty scary in spots, but I thought they were telegraphed and very predictable.
    The old 'corpse suddenly opens its eyes' gag got a real workout, as did the old 'main character on the left side of the screen with a big window on the right-what happens now?'

25. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Yes, it did rely on tried and true methods - but what Horror movie doesn't? The only movie I can think of that I was honestly scared watching, not because of a sudden movement or loud noise, but because I was actually scared about what would happen next is Return to Oz.

Of course, I was 7 at the time, and I think that might have been why I never own roller skates come to think of it....

I don't think I actually ended up watching the whole movie. I'm pretty sure I turned it off half-way through.

So what I'm saying is, until someone makes a movie where the storyline itself is spine-tingling, then we're just going to have to put up with the old 'corpse suddenly opens its eyes' gag and the old 'main character on the left side of the screen with a big window on the right-what happens now?'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.