main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resignation

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by jedi5150, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Greetings all,

In October of 2000, Ryan and I started the Idaho Falls Star Wars Alliance with great hopes and dreams. We hoped to inspire people to costume, and visit children in the hospital. We hoped to become a large club. We hoped to collect toys for children for Christmas. We hoped to work with the theater for Episode II. In short, we had a lot of ideas about what this club could become. And we have accomplished many of the goals we set. We have collected food and toys for the Haven, the ladies raised a nice chunk of money for Bowl for Kids' Sake, and we've had fun.

However, over the last several months, the focus of my Star Wars fandom has shifted. I no longer actively collect, I don't read books or comics. As you're probably all well aware, my interest is focused on costuming with the Rebel Legion and 501st Legion. This area of Star Wars fandom is especially exciting to me because it's visible, tangible, fun, and active. I enjoy it, and I want to do more of it.

However, I would not want to give the impression that I expect the entire IFSWA to follow me down that road. The complaints of recent about this topic showed me that I was indeed giving that impression, and I do not want to do so. I considered making costuming a seperate part of the IFSWA, and breaking off, having separate meetings for that and not talking about it at the main monthly meeting, but that's not really where FanForce focuses, and there are two other worldwide organizations specifically for that purpose. The Rebel Legion for good guys, and the 501st Legion for bad guys.

So, after much deliberation, I have decided to leave the IFSWA. Therefore, I am hereby resigning my position as Vice-President, effective immediately.

I wish all the members of the IFSWA and the club itself continued success.

My Star Wars fandom energy will be focused on establishing a "Troop" off of the 501st Alpine Garrison, as well as a more formal relationship with the Rebel Legion Endor Base. Any and all members of the IFSWA who are interested in costuming are welcome to join us in addition to remaining members of the IFSWA. I encourage each and every one of you to work hard to keep the IFSWA strong. Perhaps with new blood in my position, good things will happen.

Remember, the Force will be with you...always...

Doug

2. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I just want to say how torqued I am that this all happened. If you have your differences, then maybe you should go your own way, but what are we now? Chopped Liver? You could have at least had the decency to let us all know that this would happen, and at least finish out the year with us.

3. Marvincade

Marvincade Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    I think we should simply view Doug's post here for what it is a change in focus. No one has been specifically mentioned or put down, so let us avoid reading too much in it. The loss of fun or zest for a hobby-activity occurs daily for some of us. So I suggest we simply be accepting and move on without ill feelings.

4. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Thank you Alan for your understanding, it means a lot to me!

I just want to say for the record that I harbor no ill feelings toward any member of the IFSWA. This is a decision based on my personal desire to do something else. Just because I feel like the club as a whole was moving in a different direction than I myself want to go PERSONALLY doesn't mean I dislike the members.

I'd also like to state that I do not intend to "steal" members away from the IFSWA. I expect, and hope, that there will be people who will be members of both organizations. The 501st is not for everyone, because it is strictly a costuming group. All of the other aspects of Star Wars fandom are better-served by FanForce chapters such as the IFSWA. I strongly encourage anyone considering joining the 501st to continue to be a member of the IFSWA. I may return, as a visitor, at a later date. I personally see no reason why the two groups cannot co-exist in a cooperative relationship. I hope they can.

I was just the Vice-President. You all have a President, a Secretary, and a Treasurer, and are a group of people capable of setting a direction and moving in that direction. Follow your instincts and go where the club needs to go, where you, the members want it to go.

On another note, I don't see any reason to get confrontational. I'm tired, I'm discouraged, and I'm ready for something different. I feel like I have nothing left to contribute to the club, my areas of SW knowledge are not along the lines of where I see the club wanting to go. I'm now heading in a different direction, with new challenges. It will not be easy and, given our geographic location and the population, I may fail. But I'm excited to do it and see what happens.

I suggest we select a liason, someone who is a member of both organizations, to act as a go-between, helping coordinate joint events/activities. Ryan, Barry, and Mike all joined the Alpine Garrison some time ago, and I believe all intend to remain members of the IFSWA. Perhaps one of them would be willing to step up to the plate. Of course, if the IFSWA members choose not to work with the Alpine Garrison, I understand.

Thanks all

Doug

5. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    The ideal situation is a symbiotic relationship between both groups, like the Gungans and Naboo, if you will. From the reading I've done in general terms, 501st lacks numbers because it's such a niche, and Fan Force lacks visibility because of how much attention the costumes get. The two groups can complement each other well. In some ways once the dust settles it could be an ideal arrangement. I talked to Ryan today and he'd like to be the liason between the two groups. I think that woul be the best route to go.

6. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Erik,
    I whole-heartedly agree. I could be an excellent relationship. I'm glad Ryan agreed to be the liaison...

Doug

7. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    I'd just like to say though I'm kinda bummed that Doug's leaving, I can see why. I hope we can maintain a good working relationship and still hang out and stuff. I really believe that a few months down then line everyone will be happier.

8. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I agree. I have had time to think about it and I wish Doug well, and hope he finds what he is looking for. We better still see you man, and when you get all big and famous, please remember the little guys. A liasion was a good idea too, hopefully one day, we will all be one big happy family. Sorry if I sounded too pissy doug. It is hot as heck here in Oregon. My legs and feet have swollen because of the 16 hours it took to get here and the extensive heat. I so can't wait to get back home. You will be missed, but I hope you won't be gone for too long.

9. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    Good luck to you Doug. Our VP resigned not to long ago to move on with other things. Just as I wished him the best of luck, the same goes to you. With all the things going on in this world, you can only expect a fanclub like the ones were in to be changing, shifting and growing all the time. May the Force be with you Doug- I'll try and mail you those pics ASAP.

10. DurfNader

DurfNader Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2004
    BEST OF LUCK IN THE 501ST. POST SOME PICTURES OF YOU GUYS IF YOU CAN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.