main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resin Experts Please

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Ignant, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    If I have something made of resin, what should I use to make a cast of it? DOes the resin need any kind of treatment to prevent it getting wedged in. Some kind of lube?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    http://www.smooth-on.com/howtomakemolds.htm

Be aware of the taboo of recasting if you are copying something someone else made without permission. It is generally looked upon badly to copy and profit from another persons work.

EDIT: Link Markup

3. TK-1178

TK-1178 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    Yes, recasting other's work is BAD juju!

but if you made something yourself and want multiple copies, then yes you can make a mold, using Silicone. Silicone will not bond itself to anything but silicone.... ie you MUST use a parting agent for 2 parts molds, otherwise you'll get stuck with a brick of silicone with the master inside it. However, molding and casting can be tricky, and exspensive! I spend $100 for a gallon of silicone, and $50 for 2 gallons of resin. So unless you REAAAAAAALY need to have multiple copies of the same thing, it might be cheaper to scratch build another one. I HIGHLY suggest that you find a few books about molding and casting, or see if anyone near you can show you how.

Jeff

4. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Very Very bad to recast someone else's work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.