main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Resource Wars: Water!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Mar 23, 2015.

1. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    No snow in our area. None.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    This is going to sound like an incredibly silly & odd thing to think about, but it is me, so... I wonder, as the drought continues on, if there'll be any sort of pressure on the major sports leagues/teams to replace their natural grass fields with artificial ones? Particularly for the baseball teams (as they've got the longer schedule/the most games to deal with). Sure, the amount of water used there is very likely to be a small percentage of the overall consumption, but I don't think it's that unforeseeable to see this occur.

3. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Tunes, our new baseball stadium was built to be water self-sufficient--capturing rainwater, covering the field at night to retain moisture, and such. I'd bet that'll be a model for any new major fields being built. Golf courses are where water loss is off the charts, and I have no idea what they could do to improve that. :p

On a related note, the Great Lakes states are going to have their own water wars to fight, over who gets to pollute them.
    Town's contaminated water highlights a larger problem for Minnesota

Waterless states and resource pirates aren't even going to have a chance to invade your brilliant concept of Chicagoland before we ruin all our groundwater anyway. Even in the land of 10,000 lakes, we're all going to die. :(

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    it's true. We're all going to die.

Gamiel and Sauntaero like this.
  5. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    There is another solution that's ever so slowly being implemented: the use of reclaimed/recycled water. Using recycled water for irrigation is gradually becoming more common around California. There's a golf course near my home that started using recycled water about 10 years ago. You can tell if recycled water is being used by pipes, hydrants, or pipe covers/caps colored in purple. I'd think that MLB, NFL, and perhaps even some MLS soccer stadiums could all start considering using recycled water for field irrigation. EDIT: and toilet fixtures too!

It's supposed to be cheaper to use recycled water in the long haul, but I expect that it'll be difficult for cities & agencies to implement at the start because of the construction costs involved in setting up separate pipelines to go directly alongside fresh water pipes. Retrofitting existing stadiums & ballparks might be enough to make the politicians balk. [face_plain]

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Easy. Eliminate golf courses and turn them into mass graves for the idle rich who partake in that "sport" of hitting a ball really hard and then driving a cart to catch up to it.

What? Seeing water wasted on a bunch of useless grass is a good way to piss me off!

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So which of the future free states do people think are going to try keep their old way of life by taking their water from their neighbourhoods and which once are trying to reform and invest in new technology and new ways of life?

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Were you called on to consult on Mad Max: Fury Road, Jabba?

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Meat and dairy production consume almost 1/2 of California's water. That should be the main target, given how much goes into so little. But of course the industry's lobbying power won't let that happen.

13. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    What about bottled water? Check out those facts. That will piss you off.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes. Bottled water is completely unnecessary in most of the developed world, is subject to less regulation than municipal tap water, and the companies often exploit water supplies in communities that can't stop them (for legal, economic, etc. reasons). Nestle, Coca Cola, Pepsi, among others, employ the same shady, evil business practices with their bottled water as they do with everything else they produce. As for developing countries, most of the time it would be better to improve their local water supplies. It also takes far more water to produce a bottle than is actually contained in one; plus there's the whole issue of it contributing severely to plastic pollution.

However, in the case of California the bottled water industry consumes very little of the state's overall supply and shutting them down, while the right thing to do, would not help much.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999

Immortan Joe had a lot of good ideas, including that awesome martial religious cult, but frankly his water distribution technology and policy was scandalously wasteful and inefficient.

Juliet316 and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi, New York Times best-selling author of The Windup Girl and National Book Award finalist, delivers a near-future thriller that casts new light on how we live today—and what may be in store for us tomorrow.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

What's charging the Tesla?

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Bacigalupi is one of my favorite last names.

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    It goes on sale in a few days. I'll let you know.

dp4m likes this.
  20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

You might know this but doesn't the NFL have that new type of polyturf they top with a sand now that softens it? Some of the fields do that now I've noticed.

21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Did you guys hear about the brain eating parasites in the water in New Orleans now? That's pretty neat.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

Pretty much the entire U.S. west of the continental divide in drought, increasing westward toward epic severity.

We have about 40 years of drought to go before this equals the North American megadrought of the mid 1500s.

23. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Get the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to blast a few mountains out of the way, so that rain clouds can reach beyond the valleys of the Pacific Coast and actually manage to dump some water into the rest of the Southwest. While they're at it, they could demolish enough of the bowl encasing L.A. so that some of the smog can have somewhere else to go.

Of course, you'd all but need a mini-Death Star for that kind of approach to work.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    We're still a few years out from everyone in California packing up their mule-drawn wagons and heading east to Oklahoma.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I hear they still allow smoking inside some of the bars there, so at least I've got something to look forward to.