main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Respect For George Lucas

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Anakin's Daddy, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Not to be cheesy, but he's awesome because he made Star Wars.

2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Respect and thankyou. That is all.

3. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    I respect him eternally for not just creating Star Wars, which ushered into advances in special effects that paved the way for future great blockbusters, and giving Harrison Ford his career, and proving definitively that Tropes Are Not Bad (though there are still many in denial of this out there today;) ), but for eventually having the smarts and humility to pass his creation on and let it go, to ensure it would always be relevant and also give other storytellers the chance to contribute to his saga. That is supremely commendable and, funnily enough, fits with the haters' common joke of Lucas having metaphorically turned into Vader when making the prequels, but him giving Star Wars away is like Vader eventually rejecting the dark side and learning to let go of his hate.

That, and his philanthropic work and dedication to improving and refining cinematic techniques makes him a phenomenally selfless guy. Yes, in some areas he's frustratingly misguided (the endless changes to the OT), has some weaknesses as a writer (but I think story-wise, he's still very talented) and continues to neglect Indiana Jones to my great consternation, but in the long haul, I greatly admire the man. But I think we're allowed to call him out on his faults and be upset over his less advisable choices. It just sucks that the haters in the fandom weren't able to respectfully and objectively critique him, instead resorting to crude and vile language, over-the-top accusations, and laughably childish bullying. These are the fans that are loudest and, hence, the ones he hears most, and he's totally right to treat them with disdain and I understand his retiring thanks to these people never shutting the heck up.

Through it all, though, I do believe he has attempted to please fans (this is conjecture, but Maul's resurrection in TCW was IMO a brilliant idea and gave the character so much more depth and layers, making him one of Star Wars' truly best villains alongside Vader, Emperor and Tarkin). I think in the end, he'll be remembered as a true pioneer and a brilliant storyteller as well as a good man, but had a number of flaws that tainted his legacy beyond belief. His career would make for a spectacular biopic someday...

4. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    How can anything negative be said about some one who gave us not only Star Wars but also Indiana Jones??

GL can tweak and change anything he likes because its HIS vision, well before he sold it to Disney, and deserves that right!

For every one negative comment GL 'fans' can write I'm sure theres a thousand positive ones!

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Lucas is cool!

6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't understand people who bash GL or what he creates. He lets the world play in his sandbox; the least people can do is behave.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I have a tremendous amount of respect for George Lucas. Most everything I've seen or read about him makes him sound like a pretty awesome dad to his kids and an alround pretty normal guy (granted, an extremely creative guy) who continues to pursue his passions. I think that Lucas really tries to produce family friendly, moral entertainment and part of the reason he ended up choosing Disney was that they also tend to produce entertainment that parents and kids can enjoy together.

He's also quite the philanthropist with a focus on education and the arts. He seems to really care about future generations and leaving a positive mark.

While I don't agree or enjoy everything he's been involved with, I still feel that he makes things that he enjoys and that he believes others will enjoy too. If I were to sit down and talk to Lucas about a decision he made in Star Wars that I disagreed with, I don't imagine he'd have some canned answer about test markets/ demographics/ etc. I imagine he probably believed in what he was doing and has a well thought out rationale for choices. It's like the Han/ Greedo issue- I understand and respect where Uncle George is coming from even though I disagree with it.

I really respected his stance in the late 80's/ early 90's when he was devoted to the preservation of films that were considered of historical and cultural significance, also. Honestly, even if you forget about his movies, the technological advancements he has helped to usher in (whether through his own ideas or by funding the best and the brightest) revolutionized movie making. I think often people don't give Uncle George enough credit for the many things in special effects, sound, picture quality, and other areas that are ubiquitous with movies today which he had a hand in.

8. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I have a lot of respect for George regarding his talent, but hearing him openly admit he likes writing and editing more than filming or directing makes me wonder why he didn't pull another Richard Marquand move, letting someone else handle all the daily crap but him still having the final say. He really seemed unhappy in a lot of interviews regarding the prequels, when they were actually made.

I'm glad he's found some peace with retirement and a new wife, but "Star Wars" will never be the same again without him. :(

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    George Lucas......
    Just see my profile picture! :D

Him and Peter Jackson are my favorite filmmakers of all time.

10. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    I have never hated or disliked Mr. Lucas, I think he did a good job on the prequels and wish him well in all he does :)

-Jedi Joe- and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  11. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    George Lucas is the man!

12. Adirondackjedi27

Adirondackjedi27 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2013
    I don't understand why people hate him. I mean I really like the prequels and the TV shows. I mean I know everyone was screaming for "What were the Clone Wars like" but yes we each have our own version but guys be glad he gave us Star Wars, I mean he gave us an entire franchise to adore. In the end haters will be haters and I love George Lucas for giving us Star Wars, the Jedi and the enitre expanded Universe. Heck he even lets us fans write Fanfics so we can shape the Star Wars Universe to our ideas.

13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I have immense respect for George Lucas for his commitment to philanthropy and advancing the technology of filmmaking, as well as this amazingly rich story and universe he's given us in Star Wars, but where I think I differ from a majority of Star Wars fans is that he would still be one of my favorite directors even if he had never taken us to a galaxy far, far away. THX 1138 would still be one of my all-time favorite films and American Graffiti would still be a masterpiece as well. Sometimes I wonder how many more amazing films he could have made if his career hadn't taken such a turn with the success of Star Wars, but I'm still incredibly grateful that these movies exist to continually inspire me, humble me, give me so many worlds to escape to, and give me so much to think about and discuss on a daily basis.

14. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, George Lucas continues to be an inspiration and a life-long hero to myself and millions of others around the world. In my view, he's one of the greatest storytellers in history. I have been critical of him many times over the years (starting with ROTJ), only to be humbled by my apparent 'lack of vision'. When I look at pictures of Lucas making SW I am astounded by his youth. Also, he appears to be a person who is genuine and decent. He is an uncanny example of life imitating art.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you Lucas for Star Wars,
    no thank you for all of the changes over the years.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Ralavik

Ralavik Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2013
    True fans can see the money-grab the PT's were. Nothing but a joke, and he should be ashamed.

17. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Does anyone here also refer to him (like I and many old-timers in the EUC did) The Flanneled One? Out of respect of course.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I refer to him as The Bearded One.

19. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    He could be a distant relation of Al Borland... [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

-Jedi Joe- and Barbecue17 like this.
  20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    That post was bad & you should feel bad.
    And seriously, if you think that is true then YOU should be ashamed. n00b....

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  21. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Peter Jackson is overrated, as this latest film has proven. He is a sellout.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

22. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    No, but only because I don't know what that means.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

23. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I think Lucas is awesome.:D
    He wears flannel shirts.

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No, he's overeager. Huge difference. Jackson is SO passionate about his films that it sometimes shows that he lacks some objective quality control. But I really don't mind.

25. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Jarren_Lee-Saber, I agree. Ralavik you should be ashamed of yourself. The Star Wars Saga, all its films from first to last, in my eyes, are all works of art. Sure, we have our problems here and there, but calling the prequels a joke? They're as serious to me as the original trilogy. Did you think George put in all that time and effort to create three great films so they could be called a joke? The man isn't making Star Wars movies anymore because of those abusive comments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.