main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lg.Is, NY RESPECT

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by DarthGyos, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    http://boards.theforce.net/New_Jersey/b10113/15714630/?0

please read,
    ~DG~

Edit: Locked per request of CR

2. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    A lesson in IP addresses
    (With references from "Scence of the Cybercrime, a computer forensics handbook" aka my book for class)

There are different types of IP addresses. There are Static IP addresses and Dynamic IP addresses

We will start with the easiest, Static IP addresses. A static IP address is a number that is assigned to a computer by an Internet service. Those of us who use Optimum Online, Verizon, Comcast, Cox - Our IP addresses are binded to our homes. We can never change our IP address unless we change modems and providers and all that fun stuff. Static IP addresses are like phone numbers - they are meant for only 1 person and 1 person only. When you look up someones static IP address you will see something like this:

Optimum Online (Cablevision Systems) NETBLK-OOL
    Optimum Online (Cablevision Systems) OOL-6EBRKLNY1

This is an example of an IP address who has viewed my pictures. With Opt online You can not see their town - nor track them down on a geographical tracker. Those who use Verizon - You can track them down to within 2 miles of their home, but once again - not see their town or exact location.

The second type of IP is called a Dynamic IP address. This is a temporay IP address most commonly used by AOL. Because AOL has SO many people - they can not give everyone a different IP. Therefore, a bunch of people use the same IP address. YOU CAN NOT TRACK DOWN A PERSON VIA AN IP TRACKER WHO USES AOL. This is why TFN can not ban AOL IP addresses. If you ban an AOL IP - You will end up banning more then one user. Probably somewhere around 50 or more. The only way you can truely track an AOL IP down is going through AOL and having them track it to the screen name. But, unless a person has committed a crime - a normal person can not do this.

An example of an AOL IP when you search for it, looks like this:

OrgName: America Online
    OrgID: AOL
    Address: 22000 AOL Way
    City: Dulles
    StateProv: VA
    PostalCode: 20166

Now, this is not from a person who lives in Virginia, this is from a person who lives in the NY/NJ area. BUT this is where the IP ORGINATES from.

Please use this guild before you accuse people of doing something they haven't -- this is how people lose friends. IP addresses are not like phone numbers - they are not accurate.

Thank you for reading this lesson in IP addresses.

3. StarFromIHJ

StarFromIHJ Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2002
    Good point Sam.

As I told Gary last night I don't think it is a member of DB 516 that is doing this. We tend to avoid drama. We like to mind our own business. To us the club is a way to meet new friends and acquaintances. Even if we didn't avoid drama like the plague, another reason why I don't believe it has anything to do with a DB 516 member is because we hardly know NJO, especially not well enough to want to hack into their Imageevents site. We'd have no reason to do it.

I also told Gary last night that if it does happen to involve our club somehow (which I highly doubt) that I would like him to tell us about it and then we (DB 516) would ask the person possibly involved their side of the story before deciding as a club what to do next. Does this sound like a good idea to everyone?

4. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Well the reason why I posted that is because Gary mentioned it was an AOL IP address from Long Island. You can not track AOL IP's address down via a geographical tracker. I just wanted to make sure that no one in DB516 was going to get accused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.