main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Restoration of Darkness (AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So, some of you have read my story The Fragile Peace, which was for the Skywalker-Jade Revival Thread's Episode VII challenge. It turned from a one-shot into a full story. Obviously, the trailer for Episode VII and various rumors (along with the release of the characters' names) have proven my story to be very wrong (no surprise there :p), but I enjoyed writing that story so much that I decided to write a sequel.

I dropped a few Episode VII references into it (names of some of the characters, some concept arts, etc.), but obviously, despite this, it's a completely alternate universe from both the Legendsverse and the new Movieverse, which just happens to incorporate elements of both. So, for those of you who've read it, you know what to expect. If you haven't, and you'd like to, http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-fragile-peace-skywalker-jade-revival-society-challenge.50020438/]here[/url] is the link, but I tried to include enough backstory here that you don't have to read it to understand. Enjoy! :)

Chapter 1

Ben Skywalker shrugged on his jacket as he walked out of his temporary room in the stone temple. It had been three weeks since the battle between the New Republic and the secret Dark Jedi forces. In that time, Ben, along with his parents, cousins Jacen and Jaina, and best friend Damien, had stayed behind to clean up.

Ben’s cousin, Jacen, had been leading a group of Jedi secretly in the Unknown Regions, but he had been influenced by a woman named Brisha, who was secretly teaching some of the students the ways of the dark side. Brisha had been killed in the recent battle, along with most of her students, but some had survived and escaped.

The cleanup was done now, so Ben and the others were going to head back to the civilized galaxy aboard the Retaliation, and they were bringing those of Jacen’s Jedi that were still loyal to him with them. They’d get a chance to merge with the mainstream Jedi Order, or go out to live their own lives.

Ben’s step faltered as he considered that. Before this incident, he’d been a Jedi Ranger. He’d wandered the galaxy alone, solving problems where he could and working with planetary militias or the New Republic military to stop terrorists and crime lords. He’d only come back to his family because of the new threat.

But he’d only left in the first place because his father had gone into exile after Jacen’s supposed death. Now, it had been revealed that Jacen was alive, and Luke was back with them, as well. Ben didn’t have a reason to wander anymore.

He would miss the life of a ranger, though.

“Ben, you ready to go?” Jaina called.

Ben descended the stairway to the main hall. Jaina, along with Damien and Jacen, were already there. The huge temple doors were wide open, revealing morning sunlight streaming in. Ben smiled.

“Ready,” he said.

The four of them stepped outside together. Ben breathed in the fresh air. It had been the end of winter when they’d arrived on the planet; one last snow had still dusted the ground. But spring was in full force now, and Ben removed the jacket he’d just pulled on and folded it neatly before tucking it into his bag.

Luke and Mara, Ben’s parents, were directing Jacen’s students into shuttles. Ben could just see the lights of the Retaliation in the sky above. Uncle Han should’ve gone back to the New Republic a long time ago, but he’d just found out that his son Jacen was alive, and he was sticking close. Aunt Leia had gone home, though; the Chancellor’s duties were not to be put aside lightly.

“We’re missing one,” Jaina murmured.

Ben nodded. A Mirialan student, Aren Lical, had a bad habit of roaming off when he was not under constant watch. He wasn’t dangerous, just…distant.

“I’ll find him,” he said.

Aren was at the back of the temple, running an obstacle course. He was incredibly athletic; as Ben watched, he leapt over a waist-height stone parapet without any trouble, and then shoulder-rolled under a low beam. Ben couldn’t sense any use of the Force in the moves, either. Aren was just that good.

Ben cleared his throat.

“Uh…oh.” Aren grinned sheepishly. “Is it that time?”

“Yes,” Ben replied.

“Sorry.”

Aren grabbed a towel from a nearby peg and wiped sweat from his head. Ben was impressed that there wasn’t more of it. He led Aren back around to the front of the temple. The Mirialan got in line with the others. The shuttles had all departed within ten minutes, leaving Ben, Damien, Jacen, and Jaina alone.

“Guess it’s time to say goodbye to this place,” Jacen said softly.

“It’s for the best,” Jaina replied.

“I know…”

Ben and Damien walked over to their X-wings and hopped in. Ben, for his part, was eager to leave this nameless planet. There had been too much trouble here. Vezragh, Leia’s Noghri bodyguard, had died here. Ben and Damien had both nearly died. Jacen had nearly turned to the dark side.

Jacen and Jaina followed them and mounted their own X-wings. The four of them prepped for takeoff. Ben could sense Jacen taking one last glance back at the temple. He knew it would be hard for his cousin to leave after so long.

“Let’s go,” he finally said.

The four X-wings shot into space, leaving the nameless planet to be lost once again, a tiny, unnoticed blip on the map of the galaxy.

Luke watched as the rest of Jacen’s Jedi disembarked onto the Retaliation. He was still wearing his black combat uniform, and it was starting to get ridiculously itchy. After seven years of living in isolation and wearing loose robes, the tight uniform was annoying.

He also wasn’t used to having his face clean-shaven; he’d let his beard grow out throughout his exile, and had only trimmed it when it got to truly astounding lengths. But Mara had never seen him with a beard, and after having no contact with her for seven years, he wanted to make sure he was as she remembered him. Maybe he’d let it grow into a nice, trim goatee and see what she thought.

“Okay,” he said. “That’s everybody. Can I please go change?”

Mara grinned. “You’re not on duty anymore, Skywalker. Go take off that uniform.”

He side-hugged her. “You’re the best.”

In his quarters, he quickly stripped off the black uniform and pulled on a loose grey tunic and black pants. He pulled his belt on and clipped his lightsaber to it. He looked at himself in the mirror. Yes, he was clean-shaven, but his hair was getting a little shaggy…he either needed to grow his beard out to match it, or cut his hair, because long hair and no facial hair didn’t go well together on him.

“I don’t look much a Jedi Master, do I?” he mused aloud.

You look about like I did, when I was in my thirties,” a voice said. “Only without the beard.”

Luke turned, grinning. The faintly glowing figure in front of him was one he’d seen less and less in the thirty-plus years since the Emperor’s death, and one he longed to see every day.

“Ben,” he said.

Obi-Wan Kenobi, or rather, his spirit, stood in the middle of the room, beaming at Luke. His gentle, grandfatherly appearance always set Luke at ease, even when Luke was old enough to be a grandfather himself.

My boy, you’ve aged,” Old Ben said.

“It’s been a long time, Ben.” He smiled. “I expect you know what’s been going on.”

Of course,” Ben said with that familiar, gentle smile.

“Well, not that I’m not glad you’re paying me a visit, but why are you here? I haven’t seen you since I began my hermitage.”

I know.” Ben’s smile faltered. “I…I am sorry about that, Luke. I wish I were here for any other reason. But I’m afraid this threat isn’t over.”

“No?” Luke sighed. “I figured it was too easy.”

Your feelings, as always, do you credit. Be watchful, Luke. You can still stop the danger before it is too late, if you watch closely.

“I will,” Luke promised. “And I’m not alone now.”

Yoda, your father, and I are very proud of your children, you know, Luke. Yours and Leia’s both.”

Luke nodded. “Ben, Jacen, and Jaina are great Jedi.”

They’re great people,” Old Ben added. “And don’t forget the other. He’s a great one, too, even if he refutes the Jedi.”

Luke’s lips compressed. “So he has rejected it, then. I always feared he would. When he didn’t show up with Jaina and Ben, I’d feared it was so, but I didn’t ask Mara or Han. There were other matters to attend to.”

Well, now you can attend to this one,” Ben said. “See that you do. That one may be vital to the future.”

“Oh, I’ve no doubt.” Luke smiled. “He has his grandfather’s blood, doesn’t he?”

That he does.” Ben chuckled. “Your father will pay you a visit soon. Goodbye, Luke, and May the Force be with you.

“Thanks, Ben.”

The blue-tinted apparition faded away. Luke sat down on his bed and smiled. Then he began to think about what Ben had said. That one may be vital to the future. Luke hadn’t seen him since he’d left in exile. It would be hard to see him again, knowing that he’d rejected his Jedi ways. But he had smuggler blood in him, too. Luke wasn’t exactly surprised by the way he had chosen to live his life.

The door slid open and Mara walked in. She frowned when she saw Luke sitting there in thought.

“You okay, Skywalker?”

He smiled. “Oh, I’m fine. I just got a visit from Ben Kenobi.”

“Oh? And what did he say?”

“That I have some relationships to repair.”

Mara smiled. “I could’ve told you that. We can start with ours…”

She kissed him solidly on the lips. Luke melted into the embrace, and that was one less relationship that he had to fix.

Ahli Keros’ stolen starfighter exited hyperspace above Tatooine. Her Master had commanded the Mandalorians to stop the Jedi team here, though they had failed. This place would be safe enough for her, for now.

Ahli was a member of the Reborn Sith Order. Most of her brethren had been slain on the unknown world just weeks ago. So had her Master, Brisha, and her lover and apprentice, Ven Duaz. Now, she was almost completely alone. Any survivors had scattered, and would only be called back when the time was ripe.

She fingered the amulet around her neck. She’s kept it tucked tightly under her tunic during the fight so none of the Jedi could see it. As each of the Dark Jedi had been slain, it had absorbed their power. She had hoped she wouldn’t have to absorb Brisha’s or Ven’s, but it was done, and the amulet was powered.

Ahli set the starfighter down on the outskirts of Mos Eisley. She would find transport here to her destination. She did not have any currency to pay a pilot, but she would find other ways to reward him–or, failing that, he would feel her wrath.

This was not over, Ahli knew. The Jedi were not victorious, not by a long shot. She still had a shot at this.

JediMatteus, Gemma and NightWatcher91 like this.
  2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Terrific! =D= I will be constantly on the edge of my seat with this one, as usual. @};- You have the new-won peace but calm before storm feel just right. Luke wasn't fooled ;) he said himself the victory was too easy. :eek:

Gemma, NightWatcher91 and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Please keep me updated when new chapters for this story come up!

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, NightWatcher91, I'm glad you're liking it so far!

Chapter 2

Jaina and Damien slammed together in a flurry of lightsaber blows. They had not trained since the battle. Damien had lost a hand in that battle, and a lightsaber. The gold-bladed weapon he wielded now had been the property of a Dark Jedi he’d struck down. They’d swapped sabers during the fight, and Damien’s had been destroyed.

Damien was determined to show Jaina that losing a hand had not affected his skills in any way, and that he could fight just as well with an unfamiliar weapon.

Their blades flashed, yellow and gold, only a few shades’ difference between them. They pushed each other back a few times, but neither could gain an advantage. Finally, Damien gave a weak grin and shut off his saber, saluting her with the hilt.

“Thirty seconds,” he said breathlessly. “That’s longer than we usually last.”

Jaina grinned. “I’m glad your injuries haven’t affected you, Damien.”

They stood there for a long moment, looking at each other. After the battle, Damien had professed his love for Jaina. They’d been practically inseparable ever since, but they’d had very little time alone.

Damien considered himself lucky. He and Jaina had been friends for a long time, and everyone, except maybe Jaina, had known how he’d felt about her. He’d always thought her out of his reach, though. She was kind, affectionate, and passionate, not to mention beautiful, shapely, and athletic.

“We’ll be back on Yavin IV before long,” Jaina said. “What are we going to tell the others?”

Their group of friends–Tenel Ka, Tahiri, Lowbacca, Raynar, Zekk, Alema–would all be quite amused at the relationship’s abrupt start. Jaina was twenty-four and Damien twenty-two; the age difference wasn’t that big a deal, but when he’d been twelve and she fourteen, it had been a bit awkward.

“Alema’s going to have our hides for it,” Damien said with a laugh. “She’ll want to know every detail. Tahiri and Lowbacca will be happy. Tenel Ka will act all aloof but she’ll be grinning inside, and she’ll be more busy welcoming Jacen home anyways. Raynar…who knows?”

“And Zekk,” Jaina said softly.

“And Zekk,” Damien echoed.

Zekk had always had something of an unhealthy crush on Jaina, but as they’d grown older he had seemingly accepted that they were not meant to be. He’d reached out, trying to find someone that would make him happy and be happy with him. Damien hoped he would find somebody.

“He’ll be okay,” Jaina finally said. “It might hurt him at first, especially since you’re younger than he is…but it’ll be okay.”

“Yeah.” Damien smiled. “I know.”

“So, let’s go get something to eat before we arrive,” Jaina said. “And I want to say bye to my dad. He’ll be headed back to Coruscant with the Retaliation, after all.”

Damien nodded. “I’m with you. Let’s go.”

Jacen’s eyes snapped open with a start, and it took him a moment to realize that he was on a Star Destroyer and not in his quarters in the temple. He looked around. He’d offered to share the barracks with his students; he didn’t want to take a private suite on a Star Destroyer when they were cramped together in one room.

He wondered what had awakened him. Maybe it was just the difference in the ship’s hours compared to the planet’s daylight hours.

Quietly, he climbed off his bunk and dressed in a simple brown tunic and pants. Then he slipped out of the barracks and roamed the halls. He was still having trouble with the feelings of guilt over nearly recreating the Sith.

Intellectually, he knew it wasn’t his fault. Brisha had basically pulled one huge case of Stockholm syndrome on him. He’d been unable to see her as anything but the woman who had rescued him from death, and how could someone like that be evil? He’d been fooled.

But his emotions were jerking back and forth between fear, regret, anger, and sadness. He’d gotten so many killed…Brisha had caused so many to die…he should’ve never listened…what would happen now? There were too many uncertainties, and it was driving him mad.

Eventually, he found himself in the hangar bay. They’d arrived in the Yavin system, but it would be some time before they crossed to the side of the gas giant that Yavin IV was currently orbiting. Jacen stood there, arms crossed, looking out at the giant orange orb. He’d seen that outside his window every day when he’d been a teenager.

“Never gets old, does it?” a soft voice said.

He turned. Jaina stood behind him, wearing a loose-fitting tunic and sleep pants. She rubbed her eyes and walked up to his side. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and gave her a hug.

“No,” he replied. “It’s been so long since I’ve seen it…”

“Well, you’re home now. That’s all that matters.”

Underneath her eyes, though, he could still see the hurt that she must’ve felt, that he had been alive all that time and never tried to contact her, even through their sibling bond. It must have stung.

“I am,” Jacen agreed. “And I won’t be going away again anytime soon if I have anything to say about it.”

“Okay,” she replied.

They stood there together for a long time, until the intercom came on and announced that they were on approach to Yavin IV, and requested all Jedi to report to the hangar bay.

“I’d better go get my things,” Jacen said.

“Me too,” Jaina agreed. “Make sure you tell Dad bye.”

Jacen squeezed her hand fondly and then walked down the hall. His Jedi were all up and about now, packing their things. They gave him wary but respectful nods and half-bows. He knew they still respected him, and wanted to trust him, but that trust had nearly been ruined when he’d fought alongside Brisha at first.

“We’re here,” he said. “You’ll have a Master who knows what he’s doing now.”

When none of them responded, and some even looked pained, he gave them a grin to let them know he was joking. He finished packing his things and slung his bag over his shoulder. Then he headed out the door. He slid into the turbolift and hit the “Bridge” button.

The bridge was abuzz with activity. The crew was preparing to open the hangar bays to release the shuttles, while the others were plotting a course from Yavin IV to Coruscant. Han stood at the front of the room, looking unusually comfortable in his officer’s uniform. Chewie was a short distance away, arms crossed, waiting for something to do. As Jacen walked past him, he reached up and patted the Wookiee on the shoulder fondly.

“Dad,” he said softly.

Han turned. “Jace.”

It had been an incredible shock for Han and Leia to find out that Jacen was alive. Han was probably dreading having to leave him again already. Jacen clasped his arm. He knew Han wouldn’t want the bridge crew to see him hugging his son. But to Jacen’s surprise, Han leaned in and patted his son on the back.

“I’m glad you’re back with us,” Han said. “Stay in touch.”

“I will,” Jacen promised.

“Love you, son.”

“Love you too, Dad.”

They parted. Jacen gave Chewie another friendly pat as he walked by. Then, he took the lift down to the docking bay. His Jedi were already crowding aboard the shuttles. Luke saw him coming and stepped forward.

“Welcome back, Jedi Solo,” he said with a smile.

“Thanks, Master Skywalker.”

Luke turned and finished directing the Jedi. Then, he and Mara stepped into one of the shuttles. Jacen hopped into the X-wing he’d borrowed. It was really Luke’s X-wing, but since he was going on the shuttle, he’d lent it to Jacen.

Jacen sealed the cockpit and grinned back at R2-D2, who sat contentedly in his socket. He’d missed the little droid, too.

“It’s good to be back,” he said softly.

After the shuttles took off, Jacen followed them out of the hangar, and within minutes he was on Yavin IV again.

JediMatteus and Gemma like this.
  5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Terrific with Jaina and Damien and Jacen. I like his attitude. @};- =D=

JediMatteus, Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, NightWatcher91

Chapter 3

Ben hopped out of his X-wing and grinned as the other Jedi ran out to meet them. He had been a bit of a stranger around the Academy, even before the mission into the Unknown Regions. It was hard being away from his friend–but his Ranger duties came first.

He clasped forearms with Kyp Durron, and then embraced Zekk and Raynar in back-slapping hugs. Tahiri and Tenel Ka shoved their way to the front and hugged him. Ben smiled and hugged back.

“It’s been too long, Ben,” Tenel Ka said.

Ben smiled. “Yeah, it has. But…I think there’s somebody else who’s more excited to see you.”

Tenel Ka gave him a puzzled look. Then she seemed to sense what he was talking about. She looked up, over his shoulder, and her hand shot to her mouth. Tears glistened in her eyes. Ben patted her on the shoulder and slid past her.

“What’s up?” Tahiri asked.

“Jacen,” Ben replied simply.

Tahiri took a step back and gasped. The other Jedi looked in the direction of Jacen’s X-wing. Slowly, they began walking in that direction. Kyp stopped at Ben’s side, frowning, arms crossed.

“Where the kriff did he come from?” he asked.

“He’s been in the Unknown Regions this whole time,” Ben replied. “But Dad will explain it all in the conclave.”

Kyp frowned. “We haven’t had a conclave since Kueller’s attack.”

“Well, this is important.”

“So your father is staying this time,” Kyp said. “He’s not going to go off on some kind of personal punishment journey again, is he?”

“I don’t think so, no.”

“Hope not. We need him here.”

Ben nodded mutely and watched as the Jedi milled around Jacen. The young Jedi looked a bit bashful at all the attention. Kyp patted Ben on the arm again and then went to go join the throng of Jedi milling about Jacen.

Ben glanced at his parents. They were giving Jacen’s Jedi directions about where to go to unpack their belongings, and Kyle Katarn and acting-overseer Kam Solusar were helping to guide them. Ben saw Tahiri glance away from Jacen to lock eyes briefly with Aren.

Hmm, I’ll have to keep an eye on that, he thought.

“Hey, Ben!” Mara called. “Come help us out.”

“Coming!”

Kameron Antilles’ X-wing swooped down to land in Coruscant Starfighter Command’s airstrip. Engineers ran forward to refuel his ship. Kameron unclipped his helmet and placed it on his console. He popped his canopy and climbed out of the ship.

“R9, stay here,” he directed his astromech.

The droid beeped affirmatively. Kameron pulled off his flak vest and hung it on a peg as he entered Starfighter Command. He took a turbolift to level 45. When it opened, he stepped out and looked at the Twi’lek receptionist behind the desk.

“I’m here to see the general,” he said.

“The general’s been expecting you,” the woman replied with a smile.

Kameron nodded, returned the smile, and walked inside the office. The door slid shut behind him. He stood at attention and saluted. The desk chair on the other side of the room swiveled around. The man in it was gray-haired, but otherwise looked exactly as he had in his twenties, save for a few wrinkles around his eyes and laugh lines at his mouth. He bore a striking resemblance to Kameron.

“Commander Antilles reporting,” Kameron said.

“At ease,” the general replied sternly. Then he beamed. “Come here, son.”

Kameron crossed the room and embraced General Wedge Antilles. Wedge slapped his son on the back and then pushed him back a little.

“Looking good, my boy,” he said. “I knew you’d do the Rogue colors proud.”

“Thanks, Dad.”

“So.” Wedge’s smile slackened. “Quite the report. Mandalorians, an unknown world, and a cadre of Dark Jedi.”

“You were the one that wanted me to go on this mission when you heard Luke Skywalker was heading it,” Kameron said with a rueful grin.

“True.” Wedge chuckled. “Well, it’s settled, anyway. Good work.”

“Thanks.”

“I have one other thing for you, while you’re here.”

Wedge crossed back to his desk and reached into a drawer. Kameron, confused, took a step forward. Wedge handed him the file.

“You’re being reassigned.”

Kameron’s jaw dropped. “What? You just said I did the Rogue colors proud!”

“You did, you did,” Wedge quickly reassured. “But this is important. I’m giving you my other previous command, Wraith Squadron. It’s only temporary; this is an important mission and I need you to do this for me.”

“Okay…and who gets the Rogues?”

“Temporarily, Commander Poe Dameron.”

Kameron laughed. “You’re giving the squadron to a guy whose last name rhymes with my first name?”

Wedge grinned. “Usually, people make a note of his given name, not his last name.”

“Dad, your given name is ‘Wedge,’ and one of your best friends was named Porkins. I really don’t think you have room to talk about funny names.”

“True.” Wedge chuckled. “Anyway, here’s the dossier. Info on the Wraiths, the mission description, and everything else.”

Kameron accepted it. “Okay. But this is only temporary. I’m coming back to the Rogues as soon as this mission’s over.”

“All right.” Wedge patted his shoulder. “I know you’ll do the Wraiths proud, too. Good luck, son.”

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jacen's return -- nice! I like Kyp's commentary. ;)

Wedge with Kameron LOL on the name thing and yay the Wraiths! :cool:

JediMatteus, Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, NightWatcher91
    Chapter 4

Luke threw his sack on the bed. It had been a very long time since he’d been in this room. It had been Mara’s alone since he’d gone on his hermitage. He wondered if she’d missed having him here as much as he’d missed her.

“We’ve got a lot to do,” Mara said as she unpacked her own bag. “Jacen’s students all need to be oriented; we’ll have to find Masters for all of the older apprentices, and evaluate the ones Jacen made Knights already.”

Luke nodded, only half-listening. He knew all that, but Kam could handle it. He had been filling in as overseer of the Academy since Luke went on his hermitage; he could do it for a little while longer. Luke had his own things to do.

“Oh, and we’ll have to start construction on a new wing of the Academy; there aren’t enough rooms for all of the new students.” Mara looked up at him and frowned. “Luke, are you listening to me?”

“Hmm? Oh. Yes.”

“You’re a million parsecs away, aren’t you?”

Luke smiled. “Yes, I am. Sorry…”

“Luke, you just got back. You’re not leaving again, are you?”

“Kriff, no, Mara. That’s not what this is about.”

She stood up straight and crossed her arms. “Then what is this about, Skywalker?”

“I’ve been back with you guys for weeks, and nobody has once said one word about Owen.”

Recognition glinted into Mara’s eyes and was quickly replaced with defensiveness. Luke knew that this would be a difficult conversation. Owen Skywalker was their other son, Ben’s younger brother.

“Owen isn’t here, Luke.”

“Yeah, I kind of figured that out for myself. Is he with Karrde?”

“He was,” Mara replied. “For a few years. After that he went freelance. He dabbled in a little bit of this, a little bit of that. He got tired of smuggling, so he tried his hand at bounty hunting for a little while. Didn’t like it. Now he’s with a mercenary group called the Red Sabers.”

“Red Sabers?” Luke asked with a small smile. “That’s a joke, right?”

“I wish,” Mara said. “No, the Red Sabers are a soldier-for-hire group that puts down terrorist groups on the Outer Rim. I think Ben’s worked with them a few times.”

Luke scratched his chin, considering. He needed to find Owen. Obi-Wan had indicated that he could be important in the future, and Luke wanted to get to him before any potential survivors of Brisha’s cult.

“Listen,” Mara said, “I know you’re probably disappointed that Owen didn’t follow your footsteps as a Jedi. But he had to make his own choices, and this is what he wanted.”

“Oh, that’s not it at all,” Luke replied. “Sure, I’m kind of surprised, but it’s important for my kids to be what they want to be, not what I want them to be.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“I need to find Owen. It’s important.”

Mara sighed. “Looks like we’re leaving the Jedi Academy again for a while. Oh, well. Kam can handle things here.”

“I can’t ask you to come with me, Mara.”

“You didn’t, I offered. You were gone for years, Skywalker. If you think I’m going to let you out of my sight again, you’re nuts.”

Luke chuckled. “Well, I should’ve known you’d want to come. All right. We’ll leave first thing in the morning. You contact Owen; I have a feeling that he’d rather speak to you than to me.”

“You’re going to have to talk to him eventually, Skywalker.”

“I know. I’m just…”

“Afraid?”

“Yeah.”

“It’ll be all right. He’s your son.”

Leia Organa Solo and Gilad Pellaeon sat at a conference table, surrounded by aides and bodyguards. Leia looked Pellaeon up and down nervously. She hadn’t talked to the old man in a long time; not since the peace treaty between the New Republic and the Empire had been signed.

“My dear,” Pellaeon said, “it’s good to see you. You’re looking well.”

“Thank you, Gilad,” Leia said with a smile. “It’s been too long. I wanted to thank you for helping us with that little situation in the Unknown Regions.”

“Dark Jedi with TIE Defenders? I’d hardly call that a ‘little situation,’ my dear. I was quite glad to help. But I didn’t come to Coruscant to talk about situations resolved.”

Pellaeon was a shrewd politician, even if he had been a naval officer for most of his life. He no doubt knew that Leia had called him here for more than just to thank him.

“Quite right, Gilad. I asked you here because of a problem I’m having, and I was hoping we could resolve it before my Intelligence people have to get involved.”

Pellaeon’s expression hardened. “Intelligence? My, this sounds serious.”

Leia nodded. “Yes. Quite. There have been silver-armored stormtroopers terrorizing some New Republic holdings on the Outer and Mid Rim.”

“Really. My.”

“I was hoping you had some information about them.”

“Well, they are not mine, if that is what you are thinking. However, mine is not the only remnant of the Empire. I can assure you, any silver-armored stormtroopers are not under my command.”

Leia nodded. “I didn’t think so. I just needed to make sure. Thank you for your time, Gilad. If you hear anything about them, I would greatly appreciate any information you could give me.”

“I can assure you, I will.” Pellaeon rose. “Madame Organa Solo.”

Leia smiled. “Grand Admiral Pellaeon. Have a safe trip back.”

Pellaeon smiled softly, bowed over her hand, and then departed with his bodyguard. Leia’s smile faded. Pellaeon was hiding something, she sensed. He was not behind the silver stormtroopers, that was certain, but he knew something about who was, she thought. Well, no matter. She had people who could look into it.

“Chancellor,” said her bodyguard, “we’ll escort you back to your office, ma’am.”

Leia nodded and followed the guards out. She missed Vezragh, her Noghri bodyguard, who had died protecting Han. These human bodyguards were much more stifling.

“Get me General Antilles,” she said. “Tell him the mission’s on.”

The Academy’s south wing cafeteria had been the popular hangout spot for the teenage Jedi when Jacen and Jaina had been younger. It appeared that it still was; there were many teens gathered around a few corner tables. But today, there were more adult Jedi in the room than usual.

Along with Jacen, Jaina, and Ben, the table was crowded with Tahiri, Zekk, Tenel Ka, Raynar, Damien, and Lowbacca. They all crowded in around Jacen, asking him questions about his life in the Unknown Regions. Tenel Ka especially was pressed Very close to Jacen’s side. He didn’t so much mind all the attention as he did the questions that came with it.

“How did you find your Jedi candidates?” Tenel Ka asked.

“Brisha found them,” Jacen said.

Jaina, Damien, and Ben shifted awkwardly in their seats. There was an uncomfortable silence. Jacen forced a smile and snapped his fingers.

“Hey. Guys. I’ve been gone for years and we’ve not talked about anything besides me. I want to know what’s been going on in your lives.”

Everyone glanced around, made eye contact, and then burst into laughter. Jacen gave them a confused look.

“What’s so funny.”

“Jacen, the years since you’ve been gone have been the most boring years I have ever experienced,” Tenel Ka said. “We’re at peace with the Empire, we’re all Knights without apprentices to teach, and troubles in the Outer Rim are at an all time low.”

Jacen chuckled. “Well, at the very least, I can solve your ‘no apprentices’ problem. I brought so many Jedi with me that each one of you will probably have to take one.”

“I’m not sure I’m ready to teach,” Raynar said.

“It’ll be all right,” Jaina said. “You’ll do fine, Raynar.”

“Who was the Mirialan?” Tahiri asked. “He’s kind of cute.”

Jacen laughed. “That was Aren. He’s athletic, friendly, and eager.”

“You just described everything I’ve ever wanted in a man,” Tahiri said brightly.

The Jedi laughed. Jacen glanced up as Kyp ran into the room. He looked a little frazzled; his usually neat hair was out of place, and he hadn’t shaved recently, if the stubble on his chin was any indication.

“What’s up, Kyp?” he asked.

“Do you know where Master Skywalker’s going?” he demanded.

Jacen furrowed his brow. He’d heard how, since his alleged death, Luke had gone on a personal hermitage, and hadn’t returned until he’d sensed the threat in the Unknown Regions–the threat Jacen himself had accidentally created. He also knew that many of the Jedi were worried that he’d leave again.

“No,” he replied. “I didn’t know he was leaving.”

“He and his wife are putting their luggage in the Jade Sabre as we speak. How can they leave us now, with so many new Jedi to settle in?”

“It’s probably important,” Ben said with a frown. “I’ll go talk to them.”

The other Jedi got up from the table and went about their own business. Jacen and Kyp stood alone, an awkward silence hanging in the air.

“Well,” Kyp finally said, “since it looks like the Solusars, Kyle, and I will have to get your Jedi settled in, would you like to help us out?”

Jacen smiled. “I’d love to, Kyp.”

Ahli Keros sat in the dim light of the cantina and sized up the man sitting across from her. Dark-haired, rakish, and handsome, he was the very picture of a stereotypical smuggler. That was good.

“So, you need transport, eh?” he said. “Where would a pretty girl like you be going by herself, eh?”

She had noticed the smuggler’s bad habit of inserting “eh” at the end of every sentence, questions especially, but not exclusively. It was a tad annoying.

“That’s personal,” she said. “I can’t tell you until you’ve agreed to take me. But I promise that the rewards would be…significant.”

Ahli knew how beautiful she was, and she’d played up on that whenever possible. She wore a tight, sleeveless vest and leather pants. However, she also wore a scarf around her neck and chest to conceal her amulet.

“I’m sure they would, eh.” The smuggler mulled it over. “Yeah, my crew and I could use the money, eh.”

“I’m afraid I don’t have much in the way of money at the moment,” Ahli said, leaning forward. “But once we arrive at our destination, you will be paid in full.”

“I see, eh. Well, we don’t have any jobs lines up at the moment, eh. So I’ll talk to the crew and we’ll see about it, eh.”

“You’re the captain, aren’t you?” Ahli asked, nudging him with the Force. “Why do you need their permission?”

“You’re right, eh. All right, we’ve got a deal, eh. Now where do you need to go, eh?”

“Not here,” Ahli said. “I’ll tell you when we’re aboard your ship. I don’t want anybody to overhear.”

The smuggler nodded. “I’ve got you, eh. Meet me in Docking Bay Thirty-Nine in an hour, eh.”

Ahli nodded and rose from the table. She strode out of the cantina and out onto the dusty streets. She really hated this planet, and she’d only been here a few hours. She stepped to the side as a large, bulky speeder of some kind passed, driven by a girl wrapped in brown and tan desert wear.

Ahli shook her head and strode away from the cantina as fast as she could. The sooner she was away from here, the better. Although the scenery on the planet she was going to was not much better, she’d heard.

As she rounded a corner, several men in tattered clothes approached her. She turned and started to walk the other way…and a few more of the men appeared behind her. Each of them was armed, some with blasters or rifles, but a few with vibroblades or larger ordnance. One, who wore a low hood over his head, had a deactivated lightsaber hilt in his hand.

“Well, well, well, what have we here?” asked one man.

He was clad in a long coat and had goggles on his forehead, pulled back over his black hair. He wielded a vibroblade in his right hand.

“Someone you don’t want to mess with,” Ahli replied coldly.

“Oh, is that so?” he said with a laugh.

The others laughed too. Ahli didn’t have time for this. As soon as the speaker took a step forward, she grabbed his wrist, twisted it fiercely until he dropped his vibroblade, and then kicked him in the face. She grabbed his vibroblade and rammed it into another man’s chest. The guy with the lightsaber snapped it to life–it had a white blade, she noted.

The other thugs charged in at her and, using her Force-enhanced speed, she knocked each one out in turn. Finally, the lightsaber wielder charged in. She ducked under his blade, punched him once in the gut, and rolled back. He wheezed but continued his charge, sweeping his blade down. She dodged aside and landed an elbow against his chin. He stumbled back.

“I’ll say it once,” Ahli said. “Get lost. Before anyone else dies.”

The thugs didn’t waste time running off. The lightsaber guy looked at her for a long moment, and then followed, leaving the one dead thug lying in the street with a vibroblade hilt protruding from his chest.

Wonderful, she thought.

She pulled the vibroblade from his chest and tucked it into her belt, and then took his blaster and holster and strapped those on. She’d lost her lightsabers to Ben Skywalker; she needed to arm herself any way she could now.

Finally satisfied, she headed for the docking bay.

JediMatteus, Gemma and NightWatcher91 like this.
  9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Glad Luke and Mara are not splitting up again but are finding Owen together. Enjoyed the scene between Gilad and Leia. Interesting stuff about the other faction & handling the threat. [face_thinking]

Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. NightWatcher91

Jun 7, 2014
    Awesome update! I like that Luke and Mara are working together on this one.

11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Just catching up on this one. Great as always. Like your lady villain Ahli. Enjoyed seeing Han and Jacen re-unite. Please tag me in for updates -- I will be in an out - but I promise I will read and catch up.

Revanfan1 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, NightWatcher91, Gemma

Chapter 5

Ben walked up to the Sabre, trying to ignore the fear worming its way in his gut. He tried to tell himself that his dad definitely wasn’t leaving again, and that his mom wasn’t going with him this time. If they both left, then his entire family would be gone. Sure, he had Jacen and Jaina, but Luke, Mara, and Owen were all gone…

“Dad?” he called. “Mom!”

He walked inside the ship. Indeed, there was some luggage tucked away, but not as much as he’d expected. Maybe they were only going on a brief trip. But they’d only just arrived on Yavin IV; where could they be going already?

Ben walked into the cockpit. Luke and Mara were in there, and they didn’t notice him at first. They were focused on the holographic figure on the console in front of them. It was Owen. Ben froze.

“…really is good to see you, Dad,” Owen said. “I’m glad you’re back.”

Luke smiled. “It’s good to see you, too, Owen. I just wish you were back here with us.”

“Yeah.” Owen’s lips pursed. “I’m doing what I feel like I have to, though.”

“I’d love to see you in person,” Luke said.

“I’d like that, too. But I’ve got a mission, just took it. Hopefully it won’t last too long; it’ll be a one-and-done thing, not a drawn out campaign. Maybe then I can come back to Yavin IV for a little bit. Do some catching up.”

Luke nodded, but Ben could tell that he was bothered by something. But he forced a smile and sat back a little.

“All right, Owen.”

“Hey, where is this op of yours, Owen?” Mara asked.

“Classified,” Owen replied with an apologetic smile. “I’m sure you of all people can understand that.”

“I do. Doesn’t stop me from worrying, though.”

“I’ll be fine. I’ve had way tougher jobs.”

Ben saw that Owen was wearing a black bodysuit, like the kind soldiers wore under combat armor. He had leg plates already clipped on, but his torso armor wasn’t on yet. His hair was getting a little shaggy, and he hadn’t shaved in a while.

“I’m sure you have,” Mara said.

“Look, I’ve got to go. We’re lifting off in ten. But it was good talking to you guys. I’ll try to make time to get back to Yavin IV soon, promise. Bye.” He glanced past them. “Oh, hi, Ben. Hope to see you back on the field with us soon.”

The hologram disappeared. Luke and Mara, surprised, turned. Ben smiled sheepishly and scratched the back of his head.

“I…came to see what was going on,” he said. “Kyp said you were packing.”

“We have a mission,” Luke said with a nod.

“Involving Owen?”

Luke nodded. “Involving Owen…I’m sorry we couldn’t tell you before.”

“Well, I know now. And I’m coming with you.”

Luke and Mara exchanged glances.

“I’m not taking no for an answer,” Ben insisted. “I’m an adult. Owen’s my brother, and you’re my parents. I’m going with you.”

“All right,” Luke said. “Get your things packed.”

Ben nodded. “Will do. Thanks.”

He turned and headed off. As he walked, he wondered what Owen’s op was. How could it be so simple–a “one-and-done,” Owen had said–and still be so classified? Ben was familiar with Owen’s line of work, and it was usually soldiering, not sabotage or infiltration. How could something like that be one-and-done?

Shrugging to himself, he hurried to his room. He was ready to be back out in the field again.

Kameron sat in the briefing room with the Wraiths and sipped at a cup of caf. The dossier he’d been handed had grown in size; apparently the mission had been completely hypothetical up until now, and the Chancellor had given it the official “go.”

“So,” he said. “We’re looking for silver-armored stormtroopers.”

One of the Wraiths, a male Twi’lek named Varos who had a nasty sense of humor, said, “Well, they’ll certainly stand out in a crowd. Shouldn’t be too hard to find.”

Lona Swiftbird–the daughter of a woman who’d been an important part of the Toprowa Resistance during the early days of the Empire–rolled her eyes. “They definitely sound like Special Forces. How do we know Pellaeon’s not lying? They could be his men. He could be arming for a renewed war.”

“Doubt it,” Kameron replied. “The old guy’s not the type for deception. Honest as they come.”

“The shab he is,” growled Arla Wren. She was a Mandalorian, also the daughter of a member of the early Rebel Alliance. “No politician’s trustworthy, especially not an Imp one.”

“In any case, we’ve got a lead,” Kameron said. “The last time these stormtroopers struck, they hit a minor refueling station somewhere near Raltiir. We can pick up their trail from there.”

Lona nodded. “When do we leave?”

“Varos will acquire us transport,” Kameron said. “Something anonymous, that can’t be identified as New Rep. We’ll head out tomorrow. Get on it.”

Varos nodded. “One ‘acquired’ transport coming up.”

“And I mean acquired legally,” he added.

Varos sulked. Trey Courser and Wran Narcassan chuckled.

“Arla, pack ordnance. Everybody else be ready for departure. Dismissed.”

The eleven Wraiths rose and left the room. Kameron sat back in his seat and sighed meaningfully. This wasn’t going to be an easy op. He wondered who these silver-armored troopers were. Whoever they were, something in his gut told him that it was going to be the start of something much, much bigger.

Kameron frowned. Suddenly, he had an idea. Rising from his seat, he walked over to the holoterminal in the center of the room and entered a comm code.

“Hello?” Jaina Solo said.

“Jaina!” he said with a smile. “It’s Kameron.”

“Kameron! Good to hear from you.”

“Hey, so I’ve been assigned a new mission, and I think it could benefit from some help. Would you and one or two of your Jedi allies be interested in meeting up to help us?”

“I’d love to,” Jaina replied.

“Wonderful. I’ll send you the coordinates. Meet us there in twenty-four hours.”

“Will do,” Jaina replied. “Thanks for bringing us in, Kameron.”

“No problem,” Kameron said. “See you soon. Commander Antilles, out.”

“Jedi Solo, out.”

Kameron stepped back from the holoterminal. He wondered what had made him decide to bring the Jedi in. Maybe it was gut instinct, or maybe it was some small connection to the Force of his own–not that he could ever use such powers–but he had a feeling that they would be needed before this was over.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Glad Ben is going along with Mara and Luke. Owen's mission, quick and classified? Hmmm. [face_thinking] Yay for Kameron thinking to ask Jaina and a few others to help out, just in case.

14. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Really like this story. I wonder when Owen puts that breastplate on is it going to be silver? Please put me on your PM list. Thanks@};-

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh, what a twisty that would be! :eek:

16. NightWatcher91

Jun 7, 2014
    Always good to ask for help. Great update glad Ben is going along with his parents.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, NightWatcher91, Gemma, JEDIFLYSWATTER

Chapter 6

Luke activated the navicomputer as the Jade Sabre broke atmosphere. He had no idea where Owen was; he had an anti-tracking system on his comms. It was a safety precaution that most sensible mercenaries took. So he sat back and began meditating.

Owen had spoken of his mission as if it would be simple, so it wouldn’t be anywhere with a big civil war brewing. And he’d said it would be quick, so it wouldn’t be a long-term infiltration. That left out most planets that had governmental tensions but weren’t at war yet. The more Luke thought about it, the more he began to realize that it wasn’t a combat mission.

“This is going to be harder than I thought,” he said aloud.

He didn’t know who would hear him. Mara was back in the hold, making sure Ben’s X-wing was settled in. Ben himself was unpacking his things in his quarters. But he got a response, nonetheless.

Not really.”

He smiled slightly and turned. His father, still looking like a man in his twenties, stood behind him, wearing white and brown robes that ill suited his features. He’d seen holo-images of him during the Clone Wars, and he always wore black. He wondered now if that was a sign of things to come, or just a personal touch on the Jedi outfit.

“What do you mean?” he asked.

Obi-Wan told you that Owen is closely connected to all this,” Anakin Skywalker said. “Think back to what happened on the unknown world.”

Luke did. He remembered Brisha’s last words–“To gain victory for the Dark Lord, the Shadow-born must end. It is done.” They had seemed nothing more than hubris to him at the time, a vain attempt to feel accomplished as she’d died. What if it was more?

“They’re trying to revive a Dark Lord?” he asked.

It’s a good guess,” Anakin agreed.

“And if Owen is closely connected to that…maybe we could find him on a planet where Sith Lords are buried?”

Anakin nodded. “Very good.”

“Thank you, Father. It’s good to see you. It’s been a while.”

Too long,” Anakin agreed. “But I’m always with you.”

“I know.”

May the Force be with you, Luke. You’re going to need it.”

He faded away. Luke turned immediately back to the holoterminal and began inputting coordinates. Mara walked in, sat in the pilot seat, and frowned at him.

“We have a location already?”

“Possibly,” Luke said. “And even if we don’t, we still need to check this place out, just in case.”

“Oh? Where’s that?”

“Moraband.”

Owen Skywalker finished clasping on his combat armor. It was reminiscent of stormtrooper armor, but it was done up in bright red. At his right hip, he wore a blaster; at his left, an arm-length vibroblade; and on his back was strapped a blaster rifle. It was probably an unnecessary precaution to be fully equipped, but he had learned during his time with the Red Sabers that it was better to be safe than sorry.

They had picked up a passenger at their most recent stop; a blond-haired, green-eyed woman who was one of the most beautiful Owen had ever seen–she sort of reminded him of Tahiri. She had requested passage to the planet Moraband; she was an archaeologist, she said, and was working on ancient Sith ruins for the Museum of Galactic History.

That seems a little dangerous, Owen mused to himself. Having come from a family of Jedi, he knew how dangerous Sith artifacts could be, even if he was not a Jedi himself. As he finished checking his gear, he vowed to be extra-alert on this op. His team wasn’t about to die because of a stupid mistake on who to escort.

The woman, who had introduced herself as Jaye Westron, walked up to Owen. She was wearing basic archaeological gear, but she also had an armored chest-plate on; it had been a precaution that Owen’s CO had forced her to take.

“We’ll be arriving on Moraband in a few hours,” Owen said. “You still have a chance to change your mind, you know. Sith artifacts aren’t anything to play around with.”

Jaye laughed. “Oh, I don’t plan on taking holocrons or lightsabers or anything. Just a few pieces of ancient pottery or runes will do nicely.”

“All right, then.” Owen shrugged. “Then hopefully we can do this and be out of there in an hour or two, tops, yeah?”

“Yeah,” she confirmed.

“Good.”

“All Red Sabers, report to the drop bay for pre-op checklist,” said Owen’s CO over the intercom.

“Roger that,” Owen said aloud, even though no one would hear him. “Stay here, ma’am. I’ll be back shortly.”

The other Red Sabers were already in the bay, some wearing their gear already, others still strapping it on. Ben’s CO, Apren, a Rellarin. He stood at the front of the bay, his helmet under one arm. The helmet was the one part of the rig that varied from soldier to soldier–some had old-fashioned stormtrooper helmets, others of the more modern variant, and one fellow even had an old Republic commando bucket. Owen’s was a modern stormie helmet; he liked the advanced HUD and wider visor.

“All right,” Apren said, “this should be a fairly easy op, but remember this is Moraband, a Sith world. This isn’t anything to play around with, as our boy Owen knows.”

Owen nodded. “Yes, sir.”

“So, we stick close to the archaeologist, make sure nothing gets at her, and then get out ASAP. This should be easy credits, people. No one dies on this one.”

“Yes, sir!” the troops chorused.

“Get geared up,” Apren said. “Landing’s in two hours, eh?”

Thaymes Fodrick knelt in the refueling station, a portable scanner taking thermal images of everything bit by bit. Meanwhile, Arla was taking swabs for explosive material, Trey was going over the security vids, and Varos was interrogating the station’s workers. And Kameron had had to specify that he meant interrogate, not torture.

“Sir,” called Lona Swiftbird, “two X-wings just dropped out of hyperspace.”

“Those will be our Jedi friends, I imagine,” Kameron said. “Let them in.”

Thaymes held up his scanner and took another image, this one of a large dent in the wall that looked very much like a giant fist had connected with it at a hundred kilometers per hour. Kameron wondered what the stormtroopers could have in their arsenal that would cause that kind of damage, because there was no explosive residue on it.

“Interesting,” Thaymes said. “The damage here is almost entirely kinetic. It’s like a massive wind came out of nowhere and just…slammed into the wall.”

Thaymes had a bit of an accent that made him hard to understand, and it was starting to get on Kameron’s nerves. He blew out a long breath. It wasn’t Thaymes’ fault that he had an accent. Still, Kameron resolved to listen more closely when he talked.

“What could that mean?” he asked.

“I think the damage is similar to that done by…telekinesis,” Thaymes replied.

Telekinesis. Were these silver-armored troopers Force-sensitive, then? That could be a bit of a problem. Now he was glad he’d asked Jaina to join them. He nodded to the man.

“Good work, Thaymes. Keep it up.”

He turned and headed for the hangar. The two X-wings had settled down, and now Jaina and Damien approached. Kameron smiled as they walked up to him.

“Jedi Solo, Jedi Farrell.”

“Good to see you, Commander Antilles,” Jaina replied.

“It seems you’re here right on time,” Kameron said. “Follow me.”

The trio walked back down the hall. Thaymes had moved down the hall a ways and was now scanning some more damage. Kameron pointed at the dent in the wall.

“Explain that,” he said.

“It…looks like the result of a telekinetic punch,” Jaina said.

“Yeah, a pretty nasty one,” Damien agreed.

“So, the work of a Force-sensitive?”

“Probably,” Jaina confirmed, “although I couldn’t say for sure. There are some species that are inherently telekinetic, without any connection to the Force?”

“I find that unlikely in this case,” Kameron replied.

“Why?”

“Because this station was attacked by silver-armored stormtroopers.”

Jaina and Damien examined the dent with renewed interest. Kameron glanced down the corridor toward Thaymes. The man seemed to have found another, similar dent. In fact, now that he was looking, Kameron saw quite a few of them, in addition to damage caused by explosives and blaster bolts.

“I definitely sense that there was someone strong in the Force here,” Jaina said. “But it might’ve been someone on the station, not one of the stormtroopers.”

“It’s possible,” Kameron agreed. “I guess we’ll know for sure before too long; Trey is looking at the security recordings. Whoever launched these telekinetic attacks, we should be able to tell from the holos.”

Jaina nodded. “Let’s hope he doesn’t waste any time, then.”

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, action revving up and solid clues and leads! :cool:

Revanfan1 likes this.
  19. NightWatcher91

Jun 7, 2014
    Always like seeing more clues and leads unfold. I want answers now haha! Yet I will be patient.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 7

Jacen was finally getting used to being back on Yavin IV. It had been several days now, and he, Kyle, and Kam and Tionne Solusar had finally gotten the new Jedi situated. For the time being, they had settled them in an underground barracks where the Rebels had housed their pilots during the Galactic Civil War.

It was not a permanent situation, though. The New Republic had already sent a crew of construction droids to build a new wing onto the Academy, and they’d started working on it. As they were droids, they didn’t need a break, so they worked constantly. The basic structure was already nearly done.

Jacen stood on the precipice of the main temple, looking down on the training courses below. The Jedi Masters and senior Knights were observing Jacen’s Jedi as they went through basic training. Tahiri seemed very interested in Aren’s progress. Jacen smirked at that.

“What’s so funny?” a voice asked.

Jacen turned his head. Tenel Ka had managed to sneak up beside him. She wrapped an arm around his waist. She’d scarcely left his side since he’d returned; he thought that she was worried he’d vanish, as if he were a figment of her imagination. He was perfectly content to not leave her.

“Tahiri and Aren,” he replied. “A budding romance if I’ve ever seen one.”

Tenel Ka chuckled. “It’s good for her.”

Jacen nodded. Tahiri had always been a bit of a recluse; content to be with her friends, but also not seeking out companionship in particular. That she had found a spark now was a good thing, he thought.

“What about Zekk?” he asked.

“What about him?”

“Jaina’s…with Damien. How’s Zekk handling it?”

“Zekk moved past Jaina a long time ago. He doesn’t have anyone special, but he’s all right. Happy to just be a Jedi, for the time being at least.” She considered. “Actually, I was thinking about hooking him up with my cousin.”

They lapsed into silence. Jacen watched his Jedi, feeling pride at those students who had not gone over with Brisha. They were proving themselves now, and they could be a part of the greater galaxy again.

“What about you?” Tenel Ka asked.

“Me?”

“You were in the Unknown Regions for almost ten years. Surely you had someone.”

“Someone? No.” He shrugged. “But I had my students. I threw myself into training them, I guess.”

“And now?”

Jacen’s heart rate accelerated as he looked into her eyes. She looked eagerly back. After a moment, he found himself kissing her. He pulled back and smiled slightly.

“I think I found someone.”

Sweat beaded Owen’s forehead as he rushed into the tomb. Moraband was a lot more than they had signed up for. First had been the killer hounds–tuk’ata, according to Jaye. Then, there had been the swarms of stinging bugs. They’d all sealed their armor and their weapons expert had brought out a flamethrower.

Plus, the planet was just karking hot. Tatooine was bad, but Moraband was…something else. The heat wasn’t from the sun. It was worse.

“We’re here,” Jaye said softly.

Owen looked around the dark tomb and lowered his blaster rifle. The weapon didn’t seem so much like overkill, anymore. The tomb was dark, lit only by the glow lamps on the Red Sabers’ helmets. Jaye pressed on ahead, looking at broken urns and wall runes.

“We need to go deeper,” she said.

The soldiers shrugged and followed her down. Slowly, Owen put a hand on his pistol but did not draw it. After several twists and turns, they entered what appeared to be the central chamber. There was a large sarcophagus in the middle of the room. Owen’s gut clenched. He wondered whose tomb this was.

As he walked into the room, he brushed up against a rack of ancient weapons–and he was in another place.

Gripping a lightsaber in his right hand, he stormed forward. He wasn’t on desert Moraband anymore. He was in a jungle. He wore some odd combination of ancient robes and armor. He saw glints of silver-gold flowing past his shoulder and realized it was his hair. He was blond, but it wasn’t this light usually. And definitely not this long.

“Master Farfalla!” somebody called. “We’ve pushed the Sith back into their caves.”

“Good,” he said, though the words were in somebody else’s voice. “Amass all our forces. We’ll go in and finish them off once and for all.”

‘Owen’–though he was beginning to realize that he wasn’t actually himself–ignited his lightsaber. Its blue blade filled the night.

“Follow me!” he shouted.

He charged toward the caves ahead. He saw several guards outside the caves. Two of the guards raised ancient-looking blaster rifles and fired. The Jedi at Owen’s side deflected the bolts back at the shooters. The rest of the guards–Owen counted five–ignited red or orange lightsabers and charged back.

Owen leapt over the head of the leading guard and spun, slashing his blue saber down. The guard, a thickset Twi’lek, turned and blocked the blow. Owen and the Twi’lek dueled for several moments. Owen’s lightsaber flicked toward the alien’s neck, and the Twi’lek ducked and thrust at Owen’s gut. Owen rolled back and sent a Force-punch at the Twi’lek.

The Twi’lek absorbed the blast and slid back a few meters, and then charged in anew. Owen blocked his first strike, and then spun behind him and slashed his back. The Twi’lek was a fraction of a second too slow, and the blue blade bit into his back. He dropped to his knees and began to foam at the mouth.

“You…cannot stop him…” he groaned, and died.

Owen looked piteously down at the body for a moment, and then charged to the caves. The rest of the Jedi had finished off the guards, and together they rushed into the cave. After a long, harrowing battle through the corridors, they finally came to a huge chamber. Owen had lost several of his followers and felt a pang of sadness at every death, even though he didn’t know them personally.

In the center of the chamber stood a single man, though several more Sith lined the walls, their weapons ready but deactivated. The man in the center was the only one Owen was focused on, though.

“Lord Farfalla,” the man said mockingly.

“Darth Ruin,” Owen hissed back.

The man was dressed in purple-black robes and he held a deactivated lightsaber in his right hand. He had long, black hair that was just beginning to show signs of falling out. His skin was eerily pale, and he had red tattoos around his eyes. And his eyes glowed a bright, evil yellow.

Owen raised his lightsaber, casting the dark chamber of the cave in a deep blue hue. Darth Ruin smirked.

“I am beyond such weapons, Farfalla,” he said.

“This is your last chance, Darth,” Owen said. “Surrender and the rest of your followers may survive.”

Ruin laughed now. “You don’t understand. With the power that I have now attained, I am stronger than any Jedi or Sith has ever been. You cannot stop me.”

“We’ll see.”

Owen charged. The Sith around the chamber now ignited their lightsabers and charged in. The other Jedi rushed to meet them, leaving Owen to deal with Ruin. Ruin’s lightsaber finally snapped to life, but he didn’t move, even as Owen neared him.

At the last moment, Ruin’s lightsaber came up, stopping Owen’s blade centimeters from his pale skin. He grinned, and in the eerie red and blue light, Owen saw how rotted they were. He wanted to grimace in disgust. He broke off and attacked again. The duel that ensued was so fast that even Owen couldn’t follow it, and he was a part of it.

His lightsaber descended time and again to strike down Darth Ruin, but each time the Sith caught his blade. And again and again, Ruin nearly killed Owen, but his azure blade was there to stop his opponent’ fiery blade.

Ruin was getting tired, Owen could see. He was older than Owen, or whoever’s body Owen currently inhabited. He was drawing on all the power of the dark side to keep him going.

“Enough!” Ruin finally growled.

He unleashed a powerful wave of Force energy. All of the remaining Jedi and Sith went flying back, slamming into the walls of the chamber. Owen groaned and struggled to keep a grip on his lightsaber. Ruin dropped his saber and raised his hands. Force energy began to crackle between them as Force lightning formed.

Owen knew, somehow, that the lightning would be enough to kill him and everybody else in the room, save for Ruin. He had to act now. He charged in and raised his blade–it drove deep into Ruin’s chest. The Sith Lord’s eyes widened and he howled in pain and anger. The Force energy dissipated.

“This…isn’t…over!” Ruin roared.

Then, his body disappeared into a deep red mist that quickly dissipated. Owen dropped to his knees in relief and looked around. The Jedi around him had now finished off the Sith. There were no survivors.

“We did it,” he gasped. “The Sith are no more.”

Owen jerked back from the rack. He looked around and his heart sank down to his toes. Oh, this was not good at all. He got a tighter grip on his blaster and rushed up to Jaye. He put a hand on her shoulder.

“Hey,” he said. “We need to get out of here. I think I know what this place is!”

Jaye smiled. “So do I.”

She approached the sarcophagus. Owen looked around. His fellow mercenaries had formed a perimeter around the room. He suddenly had a very bad feeling about this. He moved to follow Jaye.

She reached under the wrap around her neck and pulled out a necklace. Long-unused Force warnings began to go off in Owen’s head and he knew. This had all been a terrible mistake; they should never have come here.

“Jaye, stop!” he said.

Jaye put the necklace in a slot on the sarcophagus. As she did, her appearance began to change. Her white skin changed to a much darker color, and her blond hair became black as night. She turned to look at him.

“You should call me by my real name,” she said. “Ahli Keros.”

Owen raised his rifle, ready to fire. Before he could, the necklace she’d placed in the sarcophagus began to glow. A blast of energy emerged from the tomb, knocking Owen and his companions from their feet. Owen dropped his rifle.

When he looked up, a new figure stood in the middle of the room. He was tall, clad all in black, and Owen recognized him immediately. He physically looked twenty years younger, unmarred by the dark side; his skin was a warm tan rather than pasty white, his eyes were dark brown, and his brown hair no longer looked on the verge of falling out.

But the sinister appearance of Darth Ruin could not be mistaken.

“I’m back,” the Sith Lord said. “At last.”

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I squeed for the Tk/J. Then the scenes with Owen in the mysterious chamber gave me :eek: style chills. =D= =D= Yikes, quite the tight corner he and the genuine mercs are in. Jaye being an interloper ...

22. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I'm always a sucker for the romance side of things - I always loved Tenal Ka with Jacen. And adore the idea of Tahiri having someone. Loved that memory moment Owen had when he touched the wall. Now the question is will Mara, Luke and Ben show in time to help. And what about those punches in the walls the others found. You're doing great here -- it's like having several stories going within one -- Excellent!!!

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 8

Jacen stepped out of the ‘fresher, a towel wrapped around his waist. Tenel Ka sat on the bed, wearing a thigh-length bed robe, reading a datapad. Her red hair was unbound and flowed freely over her shoulders. Jacen’s heart leapt anew as he saw her.

She looked up at him and smiled. He smiled back. He crossed to the dresser and pulled out his clothes–a simple brown and tan tunic. He went back to the ‘fresher to dress. When he came back out, Tenel Ka was dressed, too. She wore brown leggings and a light green leather jerkin.

“You’ve dressed basically the same since we were teenagers,” he said.

“Some fashions never go out of smile,” she replied with a demure smile.

He kissed her on the forehead. She began to braid her hair as he picked up his lightsaber from the nightstand and clipped it to his belt. He looked over his shoulder at her.

“We need to make sure Tahiri and Aren get together,” he said.

“Same old meddling Jacen,” she replied. “When will you learn? If they’re meant to be together, they will be together. Worry not, love. I have seen the way Tahiri looks at him. They will find their way to each other sooner than later.”

“I suppose you’re right. I–”

Jacen gasped suddenly and felt his knees go weak. Something had shifted phenomenally in the Force. He put his palms flat on the dresser to keep himself balance. He felt bile rise. The dark side.

“Oh, kriff,” Tenel Ka whispered.

So she’d felt it too. Jacen felt his body shaking uncontrollably. This was the darkest thing he’d ever felt. He rushed to the ‘fresher and vomited into the toilet. Tenel Ka rushed to his side and put her hands on his shoulders.

“Jacen. Jacen, get a hold of yourself!”

He panted and sat down on the floor. He looked up at her, and he saw more worry in her eyes than he’d ever seen before. He knew this was bad, really bad.

“We need to speak to the Council,” he said. “Now.”

Jaina, Damien, and Kameron peered over Trey Courser’s shoulder as he reviewed the footage. He had finally found some record of the silver-armored stormtroopers. It seemed that they had tried to delete the recordings before they’d left.

“Yeah, here we go,” he said.

The view was from a security cam in the hall where the large kinetic dents were. Station guards were retreating, firing blaster rifles at something off screen. Then, they appeared. Three silver armored stormtroopers rushed in, firing rifles. Two of the guards dropped.

One of the stormtroopers extended a hand–and another guard flew back into the wall. The blast also created a large dent in the wall.

A fourth stomtrooper appeared. This one wore a cape and hood over its helmet. And it had a lightsaber in its right hand.

“Kark,” Jaina swore.

“That’s that, then,” Kameron said.

“They’re definitely Force-users,” Damien agreed. “Now the question is, how do we find them?”

“I’ve reviewed the footage from outside the station, too,” Trey said. “It looks like they arrived in some kind of TIE shuttle.”

“TIE shuttle?” Kameron nodded. “Okay. So we have a lead. Let’s prowl planets where known Imperial extremists hang out, see what we come up with.”

“We’re coming with you,” Jaina said. “We’re in this for the long run. I–uhhh…!”

She dropped to her knees and clutched at her head. Dimly, she was aware of Damien doing the same, and Lona Swiftbird looking a bit queasy. But mostly she was focused on the deep sense of wrongness emanating from the Force.

“Oh…oh…”

“Jaina? Jedi Solo, what’s wrong?” Kameron demanded.

“I…” she gasped. “Something’s…wrong…”

As quickly as it had come, the wave of wrongness left her. She looked at Damien. He had tears streaming from his eyes, streaking his dark face. He stood shakily and helped her to her feet, too.

“I’m sorry, Kameron,” Jaina managed. “We have to go…I…good luck on your search. If you find the silver stormtroopers, please call us. You won’t be able to handle them on your own. But right now, the Jedi need us.”

Kameron nodded. “I’m…not sure I understand, but anything that can make you react like that is obviously bad. Go. I’ll give you a call if we need you.”

“Thank you. Come on, Damien. We need to hurry.”

Luke felt his gut churn and he realized that he was too late. He looked over at Mara. She was pale, and had her hands over her mouth. A lesser experienced Jedi would probably be feeling throes of agony and wrongness right now. And–

He heard Ben, back in the galley, gasp in horror. He rose from his seat and rushed back. Ben was kneeling on the floor, his right hand clenched over his heart, as if he’d been stabbed. Luke knelt at his side and put a hand on his shoulder.

“I feel it,” Luke said.

“We…we’re in trouble,” Ben gasped.

Leia pulled back from her embrace with Han and shrieked, holding her head. Han frowned and grabbed her before she could drop to the floor.

“Leia? What’s wrong? Medic!”

“No…Han…”

She took a deep breath. She looked up into his eyes, tears welling in her own. He gave her a deeply concerned look.

“Han, we need to go to Yavin IV.”

Han nodded, not understanding but knowing it was probably a Jedi thing. He turned to the office door.

“Chewie!” he called. “Fire up the Falcon. Quickly!”

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating =D= =D= What was that?! :eek:

25. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Well there goes the neighborhood. I wonder if Ahli knows that Owen is a Skywalker. Foolish boy Owen is. You would of not found my behind in the tomb of a Sith Lord. No bueno. Super job and thanks!

Revanfan1 likes this.