main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Restoration of Darkness (AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Revanfan1, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Nyota's Heart, NightWatcher91, Gemma, JEDIFLYSWATTER

Chapter 9

Owen was out of his depth and he knew it. But instinct took over and he jerked his pistol from its holster and fired. Darth Ruin casually raised a hand and the blaster bolts ricocheted away harmlessly. Owen’s comrades fingered their weapons uncertainly.

“There’s no need for trouble,” Ahli said. “Any who align with us will be rewarded.”

“Don’t listen!” Owen growled. “He’s a Sith–and so is she!”

The Red Sabers looked at each other and Owen felt his stomach lurch. Oh, they were actually considering it! He stumbled to his feet and drew his vibroblade in his other hand. He fired again, this time at Ahli.

The girl Force-shoved Owen back into the wall, jostling his helmet loose. He grunted as she grabbed him in a Force choke. Ruin held up a hand.

“Young lady,” he said, “I take it you’re the one responsible for reviving me?”

She nodded. “Yes, Lord Ruin.”

“I see. I sense there has been a great shift in the galaxy. You will have to explain it to me.” He looked at the Red Sabers. “Her offer stands. Any of you who do not wish to die may join me, and be rewarded.”

“Don’t…please!” Owen growled.

“Sorry, Owen,” Apren said. “It’s just good business, eh?”

Ahli and Ruin turned and began to walk toward the exit. Ahli dropped Owen to the ground. He coughed as air–stale, but air nonetheless–filled his lungs. He gripped feebly at his blaster and vibroblade.

“Traitors!” he growled. “You’re all traitors!”

Suddenly, three lightsabers snap-hissed to life. The Red Sabers opened fire, but they were pushed back down the tunnel toward the tomb. Ruin’s eyes hardened and he turned toward the back of the room. Ahli, Apren, and two of the Red Sabers followed, while the rest fired back at the lightsaber-wielders.

Owen leapt up and slashed his blade at Ahli. She grabbed his wrist, twisted it, and kicked him in the gut. He stumbled back, dropping his vibroblade, and fired blindly. It grazed Ahli’s shoulder. Darth Ruin sighed.

“Enough,” he muttered.

He Force-blasted Owen into the wall again. Owen groaned as he felt something crack. Ruin opened a back exit and stood aside, elegant and almost gentlemanly, to let Ahli and the Red Sabers pass through. The mercenaries still firing kept backing into the chamber, more of them dropping.

When the last of them had exited, Ruin turned and faced the entrance. Owen understood now why he hadn’t left; he wanted to see his opponents for himself.

Luke, Mara Jade, and Ben Skywalker entered the room, lightsabers blazing, and hard looks on their faces. Ruin quirked an eyebrow.

“Hello,” he said. “Who have we here?”

“Hello,” Luke greeted cautiously. “I am Luke Skywalker.”

“You seem to be Jedi.” Ruin sneered. “Tell me; is your kind still prevalent in the galaxy?”

“Fairly…”

“Pity. I was hoping I would be spared the pain of dealing with you. Oh, well.”

Ruin moved toward the exit. Luke and Ben quickly moved in, while Mara flanked around, coming close to Owen. She gave him a quick, concerned look, but then returned her attention to Ruin.

“And who are you?” Luke asked.

“I am Darth Ruin,” the man replied. “And this time…the Jedi won’t stop me.”

Luke’s eyes widened, and he lunged. Ruin caught him with the Force and threw him into the sarcophagus, shattering it. Before Ben or Mara could react, Ruin walked through the exit, and the door slid shut behind him. Ben ran to help Luke, while Mara helped Owen to his feet.

“Ugh…hey, Mom.”

“A quick and easy job, huh?” she asked, an eyebrow quirked.

He chuckled, but it turned into a coughing wheeze. “I underestimated.”

Kyle Katarn, Kam and Tionne Solusar, Corran Horn, and Cilghal stood atop the praxeum and looked at the gathering of Jedi before them. Along with Jacen and Tenel Ka, they’d summoned Kyp Durron, Ganner Rhysode, and Jaden Korr. Jaina and Damien had called and said they were on their way back, and Han and Leia were on their way, too.

“We all sensed it,” Tionne said. “Something big has happened.”

“The dark side has grown immensely in power,” Kyle said.

“And the Masters Skywalker are out of contact,” Kam said, “so it is up to us to make a decision.”

“They could be looking into this,” Jacen put in.

“They probably are,” Cilghal agreed. “But just in case…we need to be ready.”

Jacen nodded. It made a certain amount of sense. Even if Luke and Mara had gone after this darkness, if they failed, then the Jedi would need to be ready to take their place. As unthinkable as it was…Luke and Mara Skywalker weren’t invincible.

“We need to station a Jedi Master on Coruscant, along with several Knights,” said Kyle. “And alert the Republic to monitor all the major space lanes for any signs of major movement.”

“I sense that this will come down to the Jedi,” Tionne said softly. “If we spread thin, then we will be unable to present a unified front against the darkness.”

“Agreed,” Corran said, “but we still need a guard on Coruscant. I’ll go, and take three Knights with me. The rest of you should stay here.”

“It’s settled, then,” Kam said. “I want senior Knights on patrol outside the praxeum at all times. Ganner and Jaden, take the first shift. Kyp and Jacen, I want you to get the apprentices to the underground tunnels. Tenel Ka–you know your way around a jungle; prepare our best fighters for battle outside the praxeum. And the rest of us will try to make the praxeum itself defensible.”

“You have your assignments,” Kyle said. “Get to it. And may the Force be with us all.”

Ahli Keros followed her Master out of the tomb, feeling joy flow through her. It had actually worked; Darth Ruin was alive again! And now, there was nothing the Jedi would be able to do to stop them.

“My Lord,” she said, “we can take the mercenaries’ ship away from this world.”

“Good,” Ruin said. “But I have a stop to make, first.”

He took a side corridor and Ahli and the mercenaries followed him. Ruin waved his hand, and a panel opened in the wall. Inside was a secret chamber filled with weapons. Ruin took a hooked lightsaber and placed it on his belt. In addition, he tucked a leather sheath into his belt and placed a Sith sword in it.

“You seem to be lacking in armament,” Ruin noted.

Ahli blushed. Indeed, she still only wielded the vibroblade and blaster she’d taken on Tatooine. She stepped toward the weapon racks and grabbed a pair of the short Sith swords. The blades were made of some kind of glass, but the inside glowed red like a lightsaber. She tested their weight.

“These will do,” she said.

Ruin glanced at the mercenaries. “All of you take what weapons you can carry. We will need them.”

The mercenaries quickly snapped to it. Ahli smirked at their obedience. She wasn’t sure if they were afraid of being killed or hoping for great reward. Either way, they were easy to manipulate. And they were useful soldiers.

“Are there any other Sith besides you?” Ruin asked.

“A few,” Ahli said. “Most of my allies were killed by the wretched Jedi Skywalker.”

“Skywalker,” Ruin hissed. “I sensed great power in him. He will be a challenge. But that will come in time. For now, summon the surviving Sith. We will gather…well, I’ll decide on that later. But for now we need to leave, before Skywalker follows us.”

Ahli nodded. She pulled out her comlink, glanced down at it, and entered in a secret code, agreed upon by her allies for when the time was right to join forces again. Across the galaxy, they would be receiving the signal.

And they would know that the time was again come for the Sith to rise.

Ruin pursed his lips. “We should leave this place. Being in the presence of my tomb is making me weak.”

Ahli nodded. “Yes, Master.” She turned to the mercenaries. “That’s enough! Let’s go.”

They had much work to do.

JediMatteus, Gemma and NightWatcher91 like this.
  2. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Telling you. Leave the dead alone. They can become very difficult roommates. Plus they never come up with thier share of the rent and utilities. Still want to grab Owen by the scruff of the neck and say "What are you thinking!" Must ask though, if he wants to not be a Jedi so much, why is he wielding a lightsaber? Thanks and great job.

JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Maybe I should've made that more clear; the three lightsabers that they heard igniting were Luke's, Ben's, and Mara's, farther back in the tomb. No one in the room with Owen actually had a lightsaber; the blade Owen used was a vibroblade. I should've specified that, I guess; my bad. Hope this clears things up. :)

JediMatteus likes this.
  4. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Always a lot of work to do. Looking forward to see how this will unfold.

Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 10

Ben helped Luke back into the Sabre. He started to lead him back to the medbay but Luke held up a hand and motioned to the cockpit instead.

“Dad–” he protested.

“Ben, we have to stop them before they get off planet,” Luke replied. “The only way to do that is to shoot their ship down.”

Ben nodded. “Okay.” He moved aside as Mara and Owen boarded. “I’ll get in my X-Wing and back you up.”

Mara dropped Owen off in the medbay and then rushed to the cockpit. Ben slipped past her and ran down to the cargo hold, where his X-Wing was docked. He slipped on his flight suit and helmet, and then climbed into the cockpit.

“Taking off,” he said over the comlink.

The bay doors slid open and Ben’s fighter pulled out. He could see the mercenaries’ ship, an Aggressor fighter, taking off in the distance. He pushed his accelerator to its limit and targeted the fighter.

“Aggressor fighter, stand down.” He fingered his trigger. “You cannot leave this planet.”

“Afraid you’re wrong, eh?” a voice replied. “You’re outgunned, X-Wing.”

“We’ll see.”

Ben fired a torpedo. The Aggressor jerked aside and a moment later, its cannons opened fire. Ben spun his X-Wing and opened fire with his lasers. He caught the Aggressor on the rear shield.

The Jade Sabre pulled alongside Ben and its sizable armament opened up on the fighter. The large ship took the barrage on its shields, but Ben’s scanners indicated that they were fluctuating. They’d have them in a few more seconds.

“The Aggressor is making for space,” Mara said.

“It won’t make it,” Ben replied tightly.

He fired another torpedo, and then another. The freighter dodged the first, but rolled right into the path of the second. The torpedo blew the shields apart. The Sabre immediately took advantage, firing at the Aggressor’s engines. The fighter rocked.

“Got them,” Ben said.

Suddenly, his vision flashed red, and he felt as if a knife had been rammed into his head. He groaned and jerked back. Judging by the screaming over the comlink, Mara was feeling the same thing.

“I cannot let you stop me,” Darth Ruin said. “Goodbye, Skywalker.”

The Aggressor cleared the atmosphere in seconds, and was in hyperspace in just a few more. As soon as it was gone, the pain in Ben’s head vanished. He dry heaved and dropped back in his seat.

“We need to get back to track them,” Luke said grimly.

Ben couldn’t believe it. They’d failed.

Kameron, dressed in a bantha-leather jacket, walked quickly down the street of Ord Mantell. It was not an Imperial world, but they’d tracked the silver stormtroopers here. After several hours of investigating the spaceport, they’d found the stormtroopers’ shuttle, but it was abandoned.

Now, they were conducting a more extensive search of Worlport, Ord Mantell’s capital city. They’d split into teams–Arla and Varos, Thaymes and Trey, and Kameron and Sola.

Kameron tapped his ear comlink. “Any luck?”

“No dice,” Thaymes replied. He and Trey were checking the spaceport’s recordings. “The stormies erased the footage from their hangar.”

“Sweeping the streets will never work,” Arla said. “It’s taking too long.”

“She’s right,” Sola said. “They could’ve shucked their armor and put on civvies. We’d never know who we were looking at, even if we were right in front of them.”

Kameron cut the comlink. “But you can sense them, right?”

Sola froze. “What?”

So Kameron’s suspicions were correct; Sola didn’t want any of the other members of the squadron to know about her talent.

“So you can use the Force,” he said.

Sola’s eyes narrowed. “How did you know?”

“I saw your reaction when Jaina and Damien were freaking out. You felt something.” He put a hand on her shoulder and led her into an alley. “Sola, if we’re going to find these guys, we need to be able to use everything at our disposal. The Jedi had to leave, but you have their powers, too. I need you to use that.”

Sola sighed. “All right! I’m just…not very good at it, is all.”

“That’s all right. I’ll take what I can get.”

“Okay.”

Sola closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Kameron took a step back and glanced back out at the streets. He didn’t expect to see silver stormtroopers tromping around the streets, but he felt the need to keep watch, nonetheless. He didn’t know how long this would take Sola, but he had to put faith in her ability.

He hoped she worked fast, though.

The Falcon landed in a clearing outside the praxeum. Han unbuckled himself and ran down to the ramp. Leia, Chewie, and C-3PO were already there, waiting for him. He tightened his gun belt and then opened the ramp.

Below, there were several Jedi waiting for them–Jacen, Kenth Hamner, and Kam Solusar. Jacen ran up and hugged Leia, and then Han. Hamner approached Leia.

“You shouldn’t have come, Chancellor,” he said. “Coruscant needs you.”

“My vice chair can handle things on Coruscant for a while,” Leia replied firmly. “I sensed the disturbance. Where is my brother?”

“He’s…away from the academy,” Solusar said.

Han growled. “Well, when is he going to be back?”

“We don’t know,” Hamner replied. “But in his absence, we could use your help. We think the praxeum may come under attack, and we want to make sure we’re ready.”

That sounded bad to Han. The last time the praxeum had been attacked; Jacen had seemed to be killed. He didn’t want something like that to happen again. Mostly because he wasn’t entirely convinced that whoever died would be coming back, this time.

“Chewbacca,” Hamner said, “Tenel Ka is preparing some of our warriors for jungle combat. Would you care to help her?”

Chewie growled his assent and headed away. Han turned to Hamner.

“What can I do?”

“Come with me,” Jacen said. “We’re evacuating the students to the caves.”

Han nodded. “All right.”

“Where’s Jaina?” Leia asked.

“On her way back,” Jacen replied. “She and Damien were helping out Wraith Squadron on an operation, but they detached themselves when they felt the disturbance.”

“Leia,” Solusar said, “would you please try to get in contact with your brother?”

Leia nodded. “Anything I can do to help, Kam.”

Han and Jacen headed off to evacuate the students. Han had no idea what was going on here, but he was worried that it was a lot bigger than anything they’d faced so far. He wished that Leia would’ve brought her bodyguards this time.

JediMatteus and Gemma like this.
  6. JEDIFLYSWATTER

JEDIFLYSWATTER Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2004
    Well it looks like the sh-t is about to hit the fan. EVERYONE DUCK! Great job and thanks. @};-

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    This Darth Ruin is formidable!!! [face_nail_biting] Like how defenses are gearing up and the investigation continuing with the Wraiths. Whew, Han's thoughts/ideas ... I have to think he's right about the scope of the problem. :eek:

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 11

The Aggressor landed at an old space station that the Red Sabers used as their base. Ahli Keros followed Darth Ruin out of the ship and into the docking bay. The mercenaries debarked and ran to unload the weapons they’d taken on Moraband.

“This will be a good base,” Ahli said. “It’s out of the way, but also a good staging point for any attack we may need to make.”

Ruin seemed distracted. Ahli frowned. His lips were pursed tightly and his eyes were defocused slightly, as if he were deep in thought. Worriedly, she took a step toward him. His gaze came back to the present and he whirled, dropping into a combat-ready crouch. Surprised, Ahli froze.

“Master, what’s wrong?”

“I thought it was the tomb making me weak…” he said. “I was wrong.”

“What do you mean?”

“It seems that my means of survival were…insufficient. I planned on storing my spirit for a century, at most. But a thousand years have come and gone. I am weak.”

Ahli pulled a holocron from her satchel. The red pyramid glowed slightly in the dim hangar. Ruin raised an eyebrow as he saw it.

“I think this may help you,” Ahli said. “It contains the teachings of a Sith Lord called Darth Plagueis.”

“Indeed?” Ruin took the holocron. “We shall see. For now, we must prepare for our attack on the Jedi.”

They were interrupted when someone cleared his throat. It was the Rellarin, Apren. He looked distinctly uncomfortable.

“Excuse me,” he said. “I couldn’t help but overhearing. So you’re attacking the Jedi, eh? I…I have to confess, it wasn’t what I expected. We’ve always been pretty neutral, y’know, never attacking the government or anything like that.”

Ruin quirked an eyebrow. “That so?”

“Yes…sir.”

Ruin extended a hand, and Apren began choking. “That’s ‘My Lord,’ Captain. And you are not neutral anymore. You’re either with me, or you’re my enemy.”

“I…I…” choked Apren.

Ahli smirked. The other members of the Red Sabers were gathering around now, looking distinctly uncomfortable. Ruin tightened his fist. Apren gurgled once, and then dropped to the floor.

“Any other questions?” Ruin asked.

“No, My Lord!” snapped the mercs.

“Good. We’ll need more forces,” Ruin said.

One mercenary stepped forward. “I have contacts in some other mercenary groups. I can get us a good-sized fighting force in just days, my lord.”

“Good. Do so.” He turned to Ahli. “Have the other Sith rendezvous here. We will destroy the Jedi with one swift stroke.”

Ganner Rhysode felt distinctly uncomfortable as he prepared the defenses. Ganner knew what the other Jedi called him. Grandstander. Faker. Play Hero. Ganner was a handsome, dashing man who everybody looked at as the epitome of being a Jedi. And he’d always played that part, too. But he really wasn’t.

Ganner, inside, was full of doubt and fear. Fear that he wasn’t good enough. Doubt that he was meant to be a Jedi. He was no hero. He was an actor. He played the part, made the young Jedi see him as what they wanted him to be. But the older Jedi–Corran, Kam, and even Ganner’s own former Master, Kyle–all knew the truth.

Jaden Korr glanced at him. “Hey. Ganner. You all right?”

Ganner shrugged. “Yeah, yeah. Fine, Jaden.”

“Okay…”

Ganner glanced across the clearing. Miko Reglia, Kyp Durron’s Padawan, stood nearby. As soon as Miko moved out of hearing distance, Ganner grabbed Jaden by the shoulder and jerked him over.

“I’m terrified, Jaden.”

Jaden frowned. “Ganner, we all are.”

“Jaden, I-I-I can’t explain it, but…it’s things like this that make heroes. And I’m not one, you know. Never have been.”

Jaden clapped him on the bicep. “Then Ganner, be the best fake hero you can be.”

Ganner tightened his jaw. “Yeah…yeah. That I can do. The Fake Hero.” He chuckled. “I can do that. I’ll make sure the dark side remembers the day it killed the Grandstander.”

“You’re not going to die, Ganner. Relax.”

Ganner wasn’t so sure. But he nodded and forced a smile. Turning, he headed back to continue making preparations.

Han had called the Retaliation to Yavin IV. Technically, he didn’t have permission to assign the ship here, but he was General Solo, and nobody would argue with him. In addition to the Star Destroyer, he’d called in Rogue Squadron.

Nobody was getting through to Yavin IV without a serious black eye.

He stood on the bridge now, wearing his uniform. Leia was up here, too. She would be better off monitoring comlink traffic than actually fighting. She was the Chancellor; she could not afford to take risks.

Chewie was still down on the moon, though. And so was Jacen.

Han and Jacen had taken as many younglings and apprentices down to the caves as they could manage. Now, they were there under the watch of Cilghal and Tionne. He pitied the guy who tried to get past those two ladies.

Retaliation, requesting permission to dock,” a voice said.

Han brightened. “Jaina!”

“We sensed a disturbance, Dad,” she said. “What’s going on?”

“The Jedi Council thinks somebody might make a move on Yavin IV. We’re here to make sure that doesn’t happen. I’m sure Commander Dameron would be glad to have you flying with the Rogues. You up for it?”

“Definitely,” Jaina confirmed.

“That’s my girl.”

He turned off the comlink. He had to clench his fists to keep them from trembling. His kids, his wife, and his best friend–they were all in the same place, about to face the same unknown danger. It was just like old times…

Jacen stood at the riverside, outside the jungle exit to the caves that led into the underground of the praxeum. In case anybody tried to get in the caves by this route, he’d be here to stop them.

He was afraid. He knew that they couldn’t have possibly killed all of Brisha’s followers. If this had to do with them…then any Jedi who died here would be on his conscience. Could he deal with that?

“Hey, you,” a soft voice said.

He turned. “Hey, yourself.”

Tenel Ka stood behind him, looking fierce in her Dathomir warrior garb. But she had her arms wrapped around her belly like a scared teenage girl. Jacen felt himself on the verge of tears and he moved to hug her.

“I’m scared,” she said quietly. “Not of fighting. I’m never scared of that. But I think a lot of our friends are going to die today.”

“Me too,” Jacen replied.

She looked up at him, and he saw the steely resolve in her eyes. He hated to be the one on the receiving end of that gaze. He knew. He’d been there before.

“They’ll have to kill me first,” she said.

“Me too,” he repeated.

He kissed her, long and hard, for all the kisses they might never have. After a moment, Tenel Ka stepped back.

“Chewbacca needs me,” she said. “We’re planning the jungle defenses.”

“May the Force be with you. I love you.”

“I love you too, Jacen Solo.”

Tahiri Veila paced back and forth in the praxeum hangar. She was to be part of the first line of inner defense. She put a hand on her long-handled lightsaber. She’d built it in the style of the Tusken gaffi stick; the handle was longer, and the blade was shorter, so she had to wield it like a short spear.

Aren was part of the outer defense. She had grown to like the Mirialan in the time they had spent together, and she was upset that they wouldn’t be able to fight side-by-side. She hoped he would be okay.

Kam Solusar patted her on the shoulder. “Doing all right?”

“Just anxious.”

“Be at peace,” he said. “Everything will be fine.”

“I hope so.”

Kam turned and headed for the exit. He was part of the guard that would stand outside the praxeum gates. Tahiri hoped he survived the day.

What really scared her was that they still had no idea what they were up against, but they all sensed it was getting closer.

“Master Skywalker,” she whispered, “where are you?”

Gemma likes this.
  9. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Very exciting. I find it interesting that Lord Ruin thought he was only going to be stored for a 100 years not a 1000 and that was what is making him weak. Unfortunately he already seems very very strong and that holocron it only going to help him. I liked the conversation between Mara and Owen.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL on the "fake hero" - I'm sure many true heroes feel like they don't or won't have what it takes until they do. @};- J/TK - sweet! And Han, love him! :D

~~!

Ooh, the enemy forces are building! [face_nail_biting] I hope the Jedi losses are less than feared.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 12

The Jade Sabre emerged from hyperspace, and Mara activated the cloaking device. They had managed to track the Aggressor to this spot. It appeared to be an abandoned station, but a quick scan proved that it was hardly abandoned.

Warships milled about it. There were various classes and sizes of vessel. But they were all mercenary ships, and they were all armed to the teeth.

“Ruin is preparing for an assault,” Luke said.

“This isn’t good…” Mara replied.

“You sense it to?”

Ben stepped into the cockpit. He’d docked his X-Wing with them before they’d jumped to hyperspace. He was once again wearing his Jedi robes.

“Sense what…? Oh.”

Luke figured that was the understatement of the century. There were all kinds of dark side presences buzzing around the space station. He thought he could make out at least fifty distinct Force users.

“The survivors of Brisha’s cult?” Mara asked.

“Most likely,” Luke confirmed.

Owen walked into the cockpit, looked out the viewport, and growled, “Kark.”

“You recognize them?” Mara asked.

“Well, in addition to the Red Sabers, I’d say we have about four different mercenary groups here. Probably five hundred soldiers, all told.”

“Plus fifty Sith,” Ben muttered.

Owen looked like he was concentrating. “That many? I just sense a malicious, evil lump of Force.”

“That’s apt,” Mara said wryly.

“We need to get out of here before Ruin senses us,” Luke said. “Turn the ship around.”

Sola finally struck paydirt. The Wraiths gathered at a dingy hostel in the bad side of town. Across the street was a warehouse, where she said she was pretty sure she could sense Force users. Those would be the silver stormtroopers.

Of course, she didn’t actually tell the others she sensed them. She did a pretty good job of being evasive, and Kameron backed her up.

“We’re doing a recce only,” Kameron reminded them. “We’re no match for them since they’re Force users. Just go in, confirm they’re there, and get out.”

“Right,” the others chorused.

They slipped out the back of the hostel. Each of them was dressed in a black mimetic suit. It would keep them invisible to most viewers. But Kameron didn’t intend to be anywhere that he could be seen, anyway.

He rappelled up to the second story of the warehouse, popped open a vent, and climbed inside. He clambered around, thankful that the mimetic suit also dulled all the noise around it.

“Wraith One here,” he said. “I’m in.”

“Wraith Two here,” Arla replied. “I’m on the rooftop.”

“Wraith Three here,” Trey said. “Four and I making back door entrance.”

That left Five and Six–Varos and Thaymes–outside in the getaway vehicle. All going according to plan. Kameron crawled through the vents and, after a few moments, heard voices. He took a left turn and found himself over what appeared to be a break room.

“…against the Jedi, you say?” a voice said.

Kameron peered out a vent. There were five silver-armored beings in the room below. He felt his gut twist. Success. The caped trooper was speaking to someone in a dark cloak.

“Yes,” the dark-cloaked being replied. “On Yavin IV.”

The trooper seemed to consider. “When?”

“Immediately.”

“Sounds fun…” the trooper extended a hand. “We’re in.”

“Here are the rendezvous coordinates,” the black-cloaked figure said. “Be there. Now.”

Kameron felt his gut fall out of the vents and somewhere into the core of Ord Mantell. They were going to attack the Jedi on Yavin IV!

“Wraiths, bang out,” he said. “Bang out. We have a deadline to meet.”

JediMatteus and Gemma like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 13

“We have contact,” Poe Dameron said.

Han tensed. He saw several flashes outside the bridge viewport. He glanced back at the crew behind him.

“Attention, unidentified ships,” Han said. “You have entered restricted space. Turn back now or suffer the consequences.”

“I’m afraid not,” a deep voice growled. “You’re a bit outgunned.”

More flashes indicated the reversion of ships from hyperspace. Han counted about a hundred ships of varying sizes, the largest being a small frigate. He tensed. This would be a bit of a fight, but nothing a Star Destroyer couldn’t handle.

“That was your chance,” he said. “Rogue Squadron, feel free to engage.” He turned to his bridge crew. “Target that frigate first. Take out the well-armed ships first, and worry about the others later.”

“General Solo,” said Dameron, “we’ve got a problem. Shuttles are slipping down toward the moon, and we’re too busy engaging the fighters to stop them.”

“Copy that,” Han replied. “Cancel the attack on the frigate. Aim at those shuttles!”

Before the bridge crew could comply, the frigate and several of the freighters opened fire on the Retaliation. Han realized he’d have to make a choice now. He could take out the shuttles and let his own ship get blown to bits, or defend his ship and hope the Jedi could take on the ground forces.

“Cancel that, again. We’ve got our own battle to face.”

Ahli Keros was packed into a shuttle with about fifteen mercenaries and four other Sith. She felt anticipation and adrenaline coursing through her veins. She was about to enter the great battle between the Sith and Jedi.

This time, the Sith would be victorious.

One of her allies, Paxis, had recruited silver-armored, Force-sensitive stormtroopers to their side. The origins of these troopers was still a mystery, but they were powerful, so Ahli was willing to fight alongside them and worry about where they came from later.

Ahli looked over the pilot’s shoulder. They would set down about half a kilometer from the temple the Jedi inhabited, and move through the jungle from there. Ahead, she saw a clearing that looked large enough for the shuttles.

“Set down there,” she said.

“Yes, my lady.”

Ahli headed back to the loading bay. The mercs were armed and ready for combat. The other four Sith knelt in meditation, their lightsaber hilts on the floor before them. She drew her pair of Sith swords from their sheaths.

The shuttle touched down. Ahli stepped out first, weapons at the ready, and the others followed her. The shuttle behind her opened, and Paxis stepped out. He was a tall, skinny man with pale skin and thinning blond hair. He wielded an unlit lightsaber in one hand and a Sith sword in the other. Behind him were two more Sith and ten mercenaries.

Ahli started to lead them toward the temple. Out of the jungle stepped a single man. He was shirtless, tall and muscular with broad shoulders. He wielded a lightsaber in one hand. Ahli stepped forward.

“I am Ganner!” he said. “And as long as I live, no Sith will set foot near the temple of the Jedi.”

“Don’t worry,” Ahli replied. “You won’t be living for much longer.”

The mercenaries opened fire. Ganner snapped his lightsaber to life, and its purple blade deflected bolts back toward the mercs. Two of them dropped, the bolts catching them in their throats. The others caught them in the chest, but did not go down. They continued firing for several moments, and two more died.

Paxis held up a hand. “Cease fire!”

The mercenaries lowered their rifles. Paxis gestured, and the two Sith behind him, as well as two of Ahli’s, lit their lightsabers and charged at Ganner.

Ahli turned and led the mercenaries and her two remaining Sith into the jungle by a different route. The other shuttles would drop their troops and Sith farther along her route. As she left, she heard the sounds of lightsabers beginning to clash.

Ganner swung his lightsaber, cutting off the hand of the nearest Sith. Then he spun and rammed the tip of the blade through the injured Sith’s throat. The other three Sith leapt at him, blades spinning.

Ganner grinned. This was what he was meant to be. Maybe not a hero, but at least a Play Hero. A distraction. Somebody that the Sith would keep their eyes on while the other Jedi finished their preparations.

He could do that.

He blocked a blow from the second Sith, kicked the third in the chest, and spun to slash the fourth diagonally down the back. The Sith dropped to his knees. The other two slashed at once. Ganner ducked, and the two red blades passed over his head. He rammed his saber up and to the right, shearing through the Sith’s gut.

The last Sith swung a fist at Ganner’s temple. Ganner grunted as the blow caught him and sent him stumbling back. He slashed blindly. The Sith caught the blow and advanced. Ganner blocked the next swing and dragged his blade down the Sith’s ending with a strike to the neck. The Sith’s head rolled.

“Bravo,” the blond Sith said.

He was holding a lightsaber and some kind of short sword that glowed red inside. Ganner took up a ready position.

“You’re not what you pretend to be,” the Sith said. “You’re afraid.”

Ganner shrugged. “Yeah, I am. But I’m not letting that fear affect me. I’ll stand in your way until you take my life. That’s all I have to do. The other Jedi can finish your forces off.”

“We’ll see.”

The Sith charged. Ganner swung at his head. The Sith ducked and came around behind Ganner. Ganner swept again, and the Sith ducked again. Then, the Sith opened up. He swung his saber at Ganner’s neck while stabbing his short sword at Ganner’s chest. Ganner blocked the higher blow and danced aside, barely avoiding the second.

The Sith scissor-sliced his blades. Ganner inserted his blade between the two blades, locking them. The Sith pulled back. Ganner lunged, stabbing at his chest. He blocked the blow and stabbed with his short sword. It grazed along Ganner’s right bicep. Ganner cringed; the glass blade was oddly hot.

Ganner lunged, sweeping his blade toward the Sith’s hip. The Sith brought his lightsaber across to block it. Ganner pulled out of that maneuver and spun around, stabbing. He caught the Sith in the right hip.

“You’re good,” the Sith said. “Better than I expected.”

Ganner slashed upward from where his blade had landed. He cut the Sith’s left hand off; the glass blade went flying. The Sith howled, but continued attacking, one-handed, with his lightsaber.

The duel only lasted a few more moments. Ganner swept his saber, and the Sith dropped in two pieces, cut in half neatly at the waist.

Ganner panted. “You got that right.”

Another shuttle landed. Ganner picked up the Sith’s glass sword in his off hand and hefted it readily. The shuttle’s ramp lowered. Silver-armored stormtroopers and black-clad Sith disembarked.

Then came a man with long, dark hair and deep brown eyes. Ganner sensed great power in him. He let the stormtroopers and Sith rush by him. He needed to delay this powerful being as long as possible.

“I am Darth Ruin,” the man said. “You would do well to stand down.”

“I am Ganner. And I can rest when I’m dead.”

Ruin smirked. “I can assist you with that.”

Ahli was leading her followers through the jungle when there was the sudden cry–a Wookiee war growl. She whirled, bringing her swords up defensively. A pair of Wookiees leapt from the trees–one obviously younger, the other older but still looking dangerously fit. The younger held a lightsaber in his hand, the other a bowcaster.

“Attack!” Ahli cried.

The Wookiees were joined by over a dozen other Jedi of all species, their lightsabers snapping to life. Ahli sneered at their apparent leader, a red-haired young woman with a teal-bladed lightsaber. She lunged, spinning her twin swords. The Jedi woman caught the blades with her longer weapon. She kicked Ahli in the gut and spun in the air, snap-kicking her in the shoulder.

Ahli stumbled back and jerked her swords up, ramming one toward the Jedi’s gut. The Jedi danced elegantly out of the way and brought her lightsaber up under Ahli’s blade. Ahli pulled back, and the lightsaber barely missed cutting her hand off. She slashed her other blade at the Jedi’s throat. The Jedi spun her lightsaber, catching Ahli’s blade. Ahli Force shoved her back into a tree.

“Who are you?” Ahli asked. “I like to know my foes’ names before I kill them.”

“Tenel Ka Chume Ta’ Djo,” the Jedi replied. “Heir to the throne of Hapes and to a legacy of warriors on Dathomir. You will go no further.”

Ahli rolled her eyes. “We’ll see.”

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bravo for TK and Ganner. =D= =D= Undaunted and courageous! :cool:

14. NightWatcher91

Jun 7, 2014
    Don't cross Tenel.....she will mess you up.

15. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 14

Ganner knew he was in trouble.

Ruin was too good for him, and he knew it from the moment their blades first met. The Sith Lord was stronger, faster, and more powerful in the Force. Ganner tried to block his blows, but each time Ruin was just a fraction of a second ahead, and he grazed Ganner’s arm, or his leg.

Ganner was going to die.

But if so, he would do it defending his allies. And he would do it to the very best of his ability. He would give Ruin a fight so great, he’d remember it every night in his dreams, and he’d awaken screaming.

Ganner ducked inside Ruin’s next slash and brought his left-hand weapon–the Sith sword he had taken–up under Ruin’s armpit. Ruin pulled aside, but the blade left a long gash along Ruin’s shoulder. Ruin growled and blasted Ganner with Force lightning.

Ganner fell back under the barrage, but he brought his lightsaber up to absorb it. He grimaced as the Force energy flowed around his blade, some of it coursing up his arms. He growled through gritted teeth.

The Sith Lord dropped his barrage of lightning and hurled his lightsaber at Ganner. The Jedi stepped aside and slashed the hilt of Ruin’s lightsaber in half. But the distraction was enough–Ruin charged in, swinging his short sword. Ganner brought up his blades in a scissor-block, catching Ruin’s blade in the middle.

Ruin kicked under Ganner’s block, into his gut. Ganner wheezed, stumbled back, and Force-shoved Ruin. The Sith Lord, unprepared, flew back into the nearest shuttle. The shuttle’s hull crumpled. Ganner pounded him with Force blasts.

Drained, Ganner sagged. Ruin pulled himself out of the shuttle wreckage, staggering up to resume his attack. Violently, he Force-yanked the Sith sword from Ganner’s grasp. Ganner charged, swinging his lightsaber. Ruin blocked each of Ganner’s blows in turn, as casually as if he hadn’t just been pounded into a shuttle.

Ganner landed several grazes on Ruin’s arms, but nothing of any substance. Finally, the Sith Lord seemed to tire of fighting Ganner and calmly flicked his wrist. Ganner’s lightsaber flew through the air. Ganner had a moment to register shock and horror–and weary resignation–and then Ruin rammed his blade up into Ganner’s heart.

“Goodbye, Jedi,” Ruin hissed.

Ganner dropped to the ground, his eyesight blurring and graying. Though he should’ve been sad, or afraid, or angry, he felt only satisfaction. He’d done his job, held the Sith off for as long as he could.

It would have to be good enough.

Ganner closed his eyes, and let the life drain away. He actually felt his spirit begin to disconnect from his body. It wasn’t a painful sensation, at all. It almost felt relieving.

May the Force be with you, my friends.

Tenel Ka broke off from the dark-skinned Sith woman and slashed at a red-armored mercenary firing on Lowbacca. Her saber cut deep into the merc’s gut, and he dropped. Tenel Ka spun and cross-cut a Sith at the shoulder.

So far, things were going fairly well–but they kept coming. Mercenaries flooded the forest, firing at the Jedi. Most of them managed to avoid or deflect the bolts, but some of the less experiences ones were cut down.

Tenel Ka felt a pang of sorrow each time.

The dark-skinned woman rushed at Tenel Ka again. She raised her lightsaber and caught the Sith’s short swords, spun, and jabbed at the Sith’s side. The woman danced away and cut down a young Jedi. Tenel Ka snarled.

“What’s wrong, Jedi?” the woman asked. “Losing your famed detachment?”

“Shut up!” Tenel Ka growled.

She Force-shoved the woman through the jungle. She took a moment to glance around. Lowbacca had a pile of corpses around him, and Chewbacca’s kill count was climbing, as well. The other Jedi–Aren and Miko were the first two that Tenel Ka noticed–were managing well for themselves, too.

A pair of mercenaries charged her, one wielding a double-bladed electro-sword and the other a pair of crush-gauntlets. Tenel Ka spun aside, cut the first one in half from shoulder to hip, and then slashed at the second. He grabbed her lightsaber blade with his gauntlets–they were made of Mandalorian iron–and pulled. Tenel Ka released her grip on her lightsaber. He jerked back in surprise, and pulled the blade into his own chest.

Force-pulling her lightsaber back, she prepared to fight the Sith woman again. She looked overhead and saw more shuttles coming down. She felt Force-sensitive beings on board, and knew the Sith had received reinforcements. They had to finish this battle–now.

Her moment of distraction was too much. Miko Reglia leapt at the Sith woman. Lithely, the dark-skinned woman danced aside and rammed her blade up into Miko’s gut. Miko winced and staggered forward. Then the woman stabbed her second blade into his back. He coughed once, dropped to his knees, looked up at Tenel Ka weakly.

“Miko!” Aren cried.

Chewbacca howled angrily and lunged at the Sith woman. She pulled one of her blades out of Miko’s body, spun, and slashed at Chewbacca. His bowcaster sheared in half, and then his right arm dropped off. Tenel Ka gaped in horror.

“Run…” Miko gasped.

He collapsed. Tenel Ka felt rage built up within her. She summoned a powerful Force wave to shove the woman and her allies back. Then, she grabbed Chewbacca under his armpit and hoisted him up. Lowbacca rushed up, grabbed his uncle by his other arm, and led him back.

“Retreat!” Tenel Ka shouted. “Fall back to the praxeum!”

Jaina spun her starfighter and unleashed a torrent of laser blasts on the starfighter in front of her. The pilot, unable to react in time, died in a fiery explosion as Jaina’s bolts pierced his engines. She turned and went after another fighter, which was harrowing Rogue Eight.

“The frigate’s down,” Han Solo’s voice said. “Try to keep any more shuttles from landing on the moon.”

“Roger that,” Rogue Leader–Poe Dameron–said.

Jaina fired at the next fighter, cutting off one of its wings. It spun uncontrollably, and a moment later exploded as Damien’s X-Wing shot past and fired. Jaina grinned.

“Good shot,” she said.

“Thanks,” he replied.

“All X-Wings, be advised, a new ship just exited hyperspace,” said Retaliation’s flight controller.

“Roger that,” Jaina replied.

She turned, ready to open fire, but it gave way to another grin.

Retaliation, be advised,” she said, “this ship is an ally.”

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= =D= Sad! about Ganner and wow, the forces with Tenel Ka are just holding their own [face_nail_biting] so the last line was extremely welcome news! [face_relieved]

JediMatteus, Gemma and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. NightWatcher91

Jun 7, 2014
    I told you not to mess with Tenal Ka. Very excited about the good news never turn away an ally.

18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Looking back over my story, I would like to apologize profusely for a glaring error I made. In the first half, one of the members of Wraith Squadron was named "Lona Swiftbird." In the second half, I somehow changed her name to "Sola Swiftbird" and never caught it. How I did this, I don't know, but I am so sorry. [face_blush]

JediMatteus likes this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The only thing I noticed about that is "hey her name's the same as Sola Naberrie) :cool: [face_laugh] Was so! wrapped up in the heat of the action. =D=

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 15

Ahli Keros turned as Darth Ruin approached. She bowed at the waist before her Master. He nodded in recognition, and then looked around at the bodies around him. Ahli smirked. Many Jedi lay dead, including the one called Miko. She retrieved her other blade from the young man’s body.

“We must push on,” Ruin said. “We have the advantage. But our space forces will not last for long.”

Ahli nodded. “You heard him, men. Push on!”

The mercenaries and Sith nodded and rushed forward. Behind Ruin, the silver-armored stormtroopers stepped out of the jungle, armed with blaster rifles and lightsabers. Ahli nodded to them and then turned, following her forces toward the temple.

Now, the Jedi would perish.

Kyle Katarn activated his lightsaber as he sensed the others approaching. Around him, the other Jedi did the same. Kam Solusar, Kenth Hamner, Kyp Durron–they were the Order’s best fighters, and they were all that was standing between the Sith and the praxeum.

He turned to Kam. “Call the Retaliation. We’re going to have to evacuate the students.”

Kam nodded grimly. “Will do.”

The Jedi burst from the jungle, and Kyle’s gut sank. Tenel Ka and Lowbacca were helping Chewbacca forward; the older Wookiee had lost an arm. Behind them were Jaden, Aren, and several other Jedi, all of them looking a bit battered. Kyle stepped forward.

“Get behind us,” he ordered. “Get Chewie and the injured into the praxeum; those of you who can fight, get ready.”

Kyp and Hamner, along with the other Jedi Masters, snapped their weapons up readily, while Tenel Ka passed Chewbacca to Aren, who pulled him toward the praxeum doors. A moment later, the enemy emerged. First came the mercenaries, blasters raised. Then came the Sith warriors and silver-armored stormtroopers. Last came a tall man and a dark-skinned woman.

“I am Darth Ruin,” said the man. “You would all do well to surrender.”

“Not a chance,” Kyle said.

Ruin shrugged. “Very well. Kill them all.”’

The mercenaries opened fire. Kyle spun his lightsaber in a wide blue arc, deflecting the bolts back at the mercs. Then the Sith charged. Kyle blocked the first Sith’s strike, ducked under his arm, and stabbed him in the back.

Another Sith struck at Kyle; he snap-kicked the Sith in the face, and then spun to punch another in the jaw. The Sith dropped to the ground, and Kyle finished him off with a stab. He spun and slashed a Sith along the spine.

“Into the jungle!” he heard Tenel Ka yell.

He frowned. What was she–? Before he could respond, she, Lowbacca, and a handful of other Knights rushed into the jungle, not back the way they’d came but farther from where the younglings would be evacuated. The dark-skinned woman and a handful of mercenaries and Sith rushed to follow them.

Kyle knew what they were doing–creating a diversion so the Sith would be spread out more, and farther away from the younglings. It was a noble gesture, but Kyle feared they would all be killed.

He glanced at Jaden. “Ready to finish this?”

Jaden nodded. “Let’s do it.”

Together, they rushed toward the Sith around Ruin.

Tenel Ka turned and faced the path behind her. Her followers had made a mad dash into the jungle to make a last-minute diversion so the younglings could evacuate–Tenel Ka was fully willing to sacrifice her own life so that the young students could survive. She looked around and wished Lowbacca and the others could be safe too.

Goodbye, Jacen, she sent through the Force. Survive.

The dark-skinned woman who had been hounding her for so long rushed into the jungle after her, twin blades raised. Behind her, her mercenary followers opened fire, cutting down several surprised Jedi.

“You will not kill any more Jedi!” Tenel Ka shouted.

The dark-skinned woman smirked. Tenel Ka charged forward, swinging her lightsaber at the woman’s neck. The woman dodged aside and slashed at Tenel Ka’s back; Tenel Ka ducked under the blow, rolled, and came up on her feet, her lightsaber held diagonally in a defensive position.

She slashed overhead…and the woman scissor-slashed. Tenel Ka screamed in pain as the Sith swords met at her right elbow. Her arm dropped to the ground, her lightsaber still in her hand. The Sith sword…it didn’t cauterize like a lightsaber, but nor did it just cut open like a normal sword. The skin on her arm sort of just…boiled. She screamed again as she dropped to the ground.

The woman stood over her. “So…Tenel Ka Djo. Ready to die?”

Tenel Ka felt hot tears stream down her cheeks as she looked up at the woman. Spite filled her eyes and she spit on the woman’s boots. The woman laughed and raised her swords for the killing blow.

There was a faint rocketing sound. Tenel Ka frowned. The sound was odd, high-pitched, like a whine. She looked up. Suddenly, from above the trees dropped a red-armored figure. The figure kicked the dark-skinned woman in the gut, sending her staggering back.

“Lady,” said Owen Skywalker, “your days are numbered.”

Owen trained his pistol on Ahli. The girl sneered at him, as if he were beneath her notice. It was probably because he wasn’t a Jedi. Still, if she was forgetting that he was a Skywalker, then she had just made a huge mistake.

He took a step in front of Tenel Ka. “Lowie, get her out of here.”

The Wookiee crooned in confirmation, picked up the injured woman, and rushed off into the jungle with the remaining Jedi. Owen grinned at Ahli.

“Just you and me.”

She rushed at Owen. He stepped aside, raising an arm to catch her sword on his gauntlet. She pulled back, and he kicked her in the knee. She groaned as his power-armored boot smashed against the bone. He grabbed her wrist and twisted, and she dropped her sword.

Owen punched with his off hand, catching her in the gut. She staggered back, holding her second sword defensively. Owen fired several times with his blaster. She deflected the bolts with her sword.

“You should’ve brought a lightsaber,” she said.

He laughed. Lunging, he grabbed her by the shoulder, pulled her down sharply, and kneed her in the jaw. She grunted and dropped her other sword. Owen let her go, let her step back, breathing heavily. Then he jerked his blaster up, and fired into her chest, three times. She gasped.

Owen lowered his blaster. “I should’ve never trusted you.”

JediMatteus, Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 16

Kyle lunged at Ruin. The Sith Lord caught him in a Force grip. Kyle struggled to break free, but was shocked at Ruin’s power. He could break out! Jaden leapt at Ruin’s other side, swinging his saber at Ruin’s waist.

The Sith Force-blasted the two of them back. Kyle felt himself flying through the air–and hitting the praxeum gates, and flying through them into the hangar. He groaned as he hit the ground. That hurt…

“Now!” somebody yelled.

He looked up. Ruin was stepping into the praxeum. Jedi Knights leapt down from all around him, swinging their weapons at him. He stepped aside casually, avoiding each strike in turn. One–Tahiri–managed a grazing blow on Ruin’s back. The Sith Lord growled in pain and bashed her with his forearm.

Kyle began to panic. Ruin was too powerful for them to take on. He’d never faced anyone this strong before. Struggling to his feet, he reactivated his lightsaber and held it in front of him readily.

“So brave,” Ruin said. “So sad. You will all die in the end.”

Kyle clenched his jaw and lunged. Ruin stepped aside, ignited his own lightsaber, and caught Kyle’s. He spun around and bashed Kyle on the back of the head with the pommel of his saber.

He felt himself losing consciousness as he dropped to the ground. He dimly heard Ruin suddenly grunt in surprise and pain, but he was too groggy to understand what it meant. He also felt himself being dragged away…

This wasn’t over. Not by a long shot.

Luke Skywalker Force-blasted Ruin so hard the Sith Lord flew through several stone walls, shattering each of them in turn. Luke stalked through the remains of the walls, igniting his lightsaber as he walked.

As Luke left the hangar, Jaden grabbed Kyle and began dragging him away. Ben stood between them and the Sith outside, covering their retreat, while Tahiri and the others rushed out to combat the remaining mercs and Sith.

Luke focused on Ruin. The Sith Lord rose slowly to his feet. He was in the middle of the Grand Convocation Chamber. He ignited his lightsaber and walked toward Luke.

“Skywalker,” he said. “Finally, a challenge. After Rhysode fell so easily, I was worried that all your Jedi were that pathetic.”

Luke felt his gut sink. So Ganner was dead, then. He’d known the Jedi were taking losses, but he hadn’t realized how bad they were. He flourished his lightsaber and prepared to attack Ruin.

“Your attack ends here,” he said mildly.

He had to buy time. Even if he couldn’t beat Ruin, he could hold him off for long enough. Mara was taking the Sabre to the caves to help the shuttles evacuate the students, and Ben was trying to get the injured out, too.

But if he could kill Ruin now, so much the better.

He charged. The duel that followed was a blur, even to Luke. He struck repeatedly, at Ruin’s jaw and waist and shoulder, but each blow was parried. In turn, each of Ruin’s strikes was easily blocked by Luke. They settled into attacking each other with Force blasts. Small bolts of Force lightning and blasts of kinetic energy flew across the room.

The two combatants had met their match.

Luke picked up a piece of rubble and hurled it at Ruin while simultaneously slashing with his lightsaber. Ruin blocked the slash, but was grazed in the shoulder by the rubble. His tunic ripped and blood bubbled from his shoulder. Luke lunged again, stabbing at Ruin’s chest. The Sith parried and hit Luke with a small burst of Force lightning.

Luke grunted, but let the energy flow through his body and come out as a blast of white light. Ruin staggered back.

“Well done, Jedi,” Ruin said. “I’ve never fought one as powerful as you.”

“Good,” Luke replied.

He lunged again.

Jaina snap-rolled her fighter and fired a torpedo at the starfighter in front of her. The torp expoded, and the starfighter spun out of control, slamming into a small freighter. Ever since the Jade Sabre had arrived in-system, the battle had been turning more and more in their favor.

“We’ve got them on the run!” Han shouted triumphantly. “Push them back and then we can mop up the ground forces!”

Jaina blasted another starfighter. Damien gave a joyful hoot–but it suddenly turned into a strangled cry of surprise.

“I’m hit!” he called.

“Damien!”

She saw his X-Wing falling fast toward Yavin IV. The starfighter on his tail was good–too good. It must’ve been a Sith pilot. Jaina opened up, and the pilot dodged each of her bolts. She tightened her jaw and fired again, at the same time unleashing a torpedo. The Sith fighter avoided the torpedo, but Jaina’s lasers took down its shields.

The Sith broke off its pursuit of Damien, but it had done a lot of damage in its time on his tail. Jaina could tell that he had at least two engines damage, and a third was coughing smoke. His astromech had been destroyed, and one of his s-foils had snapped off.

Growling, Jaina fired another torpedo at the Sith fighter. This time, it didn’t manage to avoid it.

“Can’t pull up,” Damien said tightly. “Can’t eject, either. Going down…”

“Damien, no!”

She heard the smile in his voice. “Love you, Jaina.”

Tears welled in her eyes. “Love you too, Damien.”

“I’ll be back,” he promised. “I’m not dead. Finish the battle, okay?”

“Okay,” Jaina whispered.

She watched his X-Wing until it disappeared into the jungle. Then, she turned her fighter around and opened up on the nearest enemy ship. She had a lot of work to do, and fast.

Ben was trapped. He’d been protecting Kyle, Jaden, Chewbacca, and the other injured, but the Sith had been pushing him farther and farther back into the tunnels of the praxeum, and they were surrounding him.

He’d been cut off from the other Jedi. He was alone.

“Mom,” he said into his comlink, “listen. You need to get out of here. Get the students out; they’re the priority. Got it?”

“Ben, what’s wrong?”

“I don’t…don’t think I’ll be making it out of here.”

“Ben, don’t talk like that.”

“Sorry, Mom. Get those students out. They’re your responsibility. This is mine. You get me? Promise, Mom.”

Mara took a deep breath. “Okay, promise. But I’ll be back, Ben.”

“I’d be hurt if you weren’t,” Ben replied.

He put away his comlink and looked around. There were no Sith in this corridor, but he sensed them, and he heard them. They were coming closer. He raised his lightsaber. A woman, blond and clad in black, leapt out of the shadows.

Her lightsaber was blue–she must’ve been one of the Sith posing as Jacen’s apprentices. Ben blocked her first strike and riposted. She danced aside and slashed at his throat. Ducking under that strike, he brought his saber up to disembowel her. She caught his blade and kicked him in the jaw.

He grunted and fell back. She was good. She slashed at him again. He blocked and raised his hand, Force-pushing her away. She hit the opposite wall of the corridor, but recovered quickly. Ben slashed at her, but she jumped over his head, spun around, and kicked him in the small of his back.

“Give it up, Jedi!” she said.

“Not a chance.”

Ben lunged again. The woman slapped his blade aside and kicked him yet again, this time in the head. He staggered back and slammed the back of his head into the stone wall of the corridor. His vision began to gray.

Hope Mom comes back fast…

Jacen had been hopeful that all was going to plan. None of the Sith had found the caves yet, and the shuttles and the Sabre had landed. They were loading the students now. All should have been well.

But then Sith had charged from the jungle.

Jacen ignited his lightsaber and charged at them. He ducked under the first Sith’s strike and brought his saber up, cutting off both the Sith’s arms. The Sith dropped to his knees, and Jacen decapitated him. The other Sith slashed down at Jacen. Jacen rolled out of the way and cut horizontally. The Sith, a big alien, fell in half at the waist.

“Jacen, come on!” Mara called over the comlink. “All the students are aboard!”

Jacen turned and started to head toward the Sabre–but then another Sith and three mercs came out of the jungle. One of the mercs was armed with a rocket launcher, and he had it aimed at the Sabre.

“Mara, go, now!”

He charged at the merc and Force-pushed him back. Off-balance, his rocket fired straight into the air. The Sabre and the other shuttles lifted off and headed for space. Jacen squared his feet and made ready to fight. The mercs opened fire. Jacen deflected their bolts back at them, killing them both. He Force-pulled the remaining merc, the one with the rocket launcher, and stabbed him in the chest.

Then he faced the Sith.

“You really want to do this?”

The Sith just smirked. Jacen charged and slashed down at the Sith. The two of them dueled across the clearing for a few moments, and then Jacen slashed his gut open. The Sith dropped. Jacen heaved a sigh of relief.

And then something hit him in the back. He rolled with the impact and came up in a crouch. Three more Sith had entered the clearing. Each of them sent blasts of Force lightning at him. He blocked the lightning with his saber and stormed toward them. Seeing his resistance, they changed their bursts to constant streams. Jacen stopped in his tracks. Grimacing, he pushed back against the lightning.

But it was too powerful. His lightsaber went sailing away. The lightning barraged his body. Groaning in agony, he dropped to the ground.

At least the younglings were safe.

JediMatteus likes this.
  22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Whew, #15-16. [face_nail_biting] It's like one of those days you wish you could do something different but can't think what. :( So many losses! :eek:

JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Chapter 17

Luke backed toward the huge windows at the back of the chamber. He’d gotten a signal from Mara–the students had been evacuated. That meant he could get out of here. It was a good thing, too; his fight with Ruin had not progressed well.

Neither of them could get the upper hand, and they’d torn apart the chamber, sending rubble flying through the air along with blasts of lightning and kinetic energy. Nothing could stop either of them. This was a matched fight.

“Give it up, Skywalker,” Ruin said. “You’ve lost. Can’t you sense it? The despair in the Force? It’s over. Yavin IV is mine.”

“Maybe,” Luke replied. “For now. But as long as I live to fight, you will not win, Ruin.”

He turned and leapt out the window just as the Sabre passed under him. He crawled down to the hatch and climbed inside as the ship made for space. The younglings were huddled inside. Luke frowned. There had been two other shuttles–Tionne and Cilghal would’ve taken those. But where were Jacen, and Ben?

Owen had made it back, he saw; he was sitting in the copilot seat. He had a distant look on his face. Luke sensed he was disturbed by something…perhaps a life he’d taken. There was still no sign of Ben or Jacen.

“We’re making for the Retaliation,” Mara said as Luke entered. “The space battle’s over; all the remaining Sith vessels have landed on Yavin IV. They’ve won the ground battle, I fear. But most of our space forces are intact.”

“Most?”

“Damien went down,” Owen said soflty.

“Oh.” Luke felt his gut lurch. “Where are Ben and Jacen?”

Tears welled in Mara’s eyes. “Fell behind.”

“Tenel Ka, too. And Lowbacca.” Owen looked more distant than ever. “They ran off into the jungle. Couldn’t get to them in time; had to bug out.”

“It’s okay, son,” Luke said softly, though inside, he was horrified. “We’ll get them back.”

The next hour was horrible. The Retaliation jumped out of the Yavin system. The Jedi that had managed to escape the planet–Tahiri, Aren, Zekk, Cilghal, Tionne, Kyp, and a few others–congregated in the hangar with Rogue Squadron. Jaina stood nearby, hand to her mouth.

Cilghal and Tionne took the students down to the cabins to get them situated. The other remaining Jedi gathered around.

“I can’t believe this,” Kyp growled. “He…he won.”

“Not yet,” Luke replied. “He has Yavin IV, but this is far from over. Tenel Ka is still there, among others, and if they’ve survived and escaped, they’ll know what to do.”

“We’re going back,” Mara said firmly. “Jacen and Ben are still there.”

When they emerged from hyperspace, a shuttle came in. It was Wraith Squadron–Kameron Antilles rushed out to meet the Jedi. He was horrified to hear that they were too late, and promised that they would get Damien in particular back unharmed.

“All Skywalkers and Solos to the bridge!” Han called some time later.

Luke, Mara, Owen, and Jaina took the turbolift to the bridge and gathered around. Leia looked terrible; she was no doubt taking losing Jacen again very badly. He wasn’t dead, though; Luke promised himself that he wouldn’t let his sister go through the pain of losing Jacen again.

“This just came in,” Han said.

He pressed a button, and a hologram appeared. Darth Ruin stood in the Convocation Chamber, hands held behind his back.

“Greetings, Jedi,” he said. “As you now know, I and my followers have control of Yavin IV. We also have many Jedi prisoners. Though I have lost many of my own forces, I am inclined to take this as a victory. However, Luke Skywalker is still out there, and alive.”

“Karking right, he is,” Mara muttered.

“I want him to turn himself in,” Ruin continued. “I have more than enough prisoners to begin killing them all off until he decides to surrender, and I fully intend to do just that.” He made a gesture outside the cam range.

Ben Skywalker stumbled into the picture, hands bound behind his back.

“No,” Mara whispered.

Ben looked up at the cam.

“Don’t listen, Dad!” he growled. “Don’t surrender!”

“I don’t expect you to take my word on it,” Ruin said. “So here’s proof.”

He snapped his lightsaber to life. Jaina gasped. Luke couldn’t move. He could only watch as Ruin drove his lightsaber through Ben’s back. Ben’s eyes widened and he made a noise like he was attempting to say something. But he didn’t. He just dropped to the ground. Ruin shut off his lightsaber.

“You have forty-eight hours, Skywalker, or I kill another one.”

The hologram disappeared. Luke felt it. He felt his son’s death in the Force. He dropped to his knees and let tears stream down his face. Han had his fists clenched and his face was a burning red. Mara was weeping into Leia’s shoulder. Jaina looked like she would murder Ruin if she ever saw him again–and she would, Luke knew. And Owen–

Owen helped Luke to his feet. Tears were streaming down Owen’s cheeks, too. He just gripped Luke in a fierce hug.

“We’ll get him, Dad,” Owen said. “We’ll get him.”

END

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, just wow. I need hardly say I want tags when the sequel starts. =D= =D=

NightWatcher91 and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Finally got around to reading this - great action and continuation of the previous story. Love the way you've written the EU characters and your OCs - especially Luke being a BAMF.

But Ben! Oh, dear, what a cliffie! Can you please tag me in the continuation.