main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Retcons and fitting in TCW into the broader EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by General Immodet, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW is Canon now, whether you like it or not.

2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    To whom are you referring?

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

People who say that TCW is non-canon

4. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Naw, you've confused your opinion with fact. Cute.

Well, no one said that of late.

5. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Don't condescend to me. I'll let you know when I'm sharing an opinion or a fact, I'm not a simpleton.

What I shared there was a sentence.

Mzukiller likes this.
  6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Well, was the sentence a fact or an opinion?

Esg likes this.
  7. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Uh oh, canon wars...

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Imagine how much worse it's gonna get when Ep. 7 comes out!

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know what kind of "canon wars" could really come from Episode 7. It's been no secret that the films sit above the EU and have the potential to overwrite it. I'm sure some people aren't going to like the changes that Episode 7 makes to continuity, but I've not heard anyone say that the EU trumps the films. The only thing that can trump the films is another film (like the special editions).

A lot of people aren't fond of some of the things TCW did to continuity, but despite not liking them, I think most people have come to accept them.

Canon on any level can be revised, though I think now with Lucas out of the picture there's not going to be any more special editions, unless they go the LOTR route of inserting cut scenes back into the films themselves (vs. what the prequels have done with keeping them separate bonus material) when released on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Mzukiller likes this.
  10. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    The only one whose opinion matters now on what is and isn't canon in Star Wars is this guy:

[​IMG]

The rest of you can go pound sand on this issue, because your opinions simply don't matter. That's not an insult or a put-down; it's just a statement of fact. House of Mouse owns Star Wars, and they decide what's canon, not you. If you don't like it, well, that's what fanfiction.net is for.

11. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah yes, where would we be without such thoughtful and eloquent additions to the discussion? There's so much being brought to the table in that post, I hardly know where to begin.

12. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I didn't figure you'd like that. But it's the truth. Your opinions can be as "eloquent and thoughtful" as you like, and in the end, they mean nothing. Sorry - Disney is not a democracy, and what is and isn't canon in Star Wars is not up for a vote. You can make up your own canon if you like, picking and choosing what you do and don't accept as "real" Star Wars, but that has no meaning beyond your own preferences and, in the end, is no more than a form of fanfiction.

Disney owns Star Wars. Thus, Star Wars canon is whatever Bob Iger says it is. You can debate all you like what you think should be Star Wars canon, but honestly, that gets way too far into "Old man yells at cloud" territory for me.

13. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    I guess that's it, then. Nevermind the entire point of a forum is to discuss issues, ideas, and points of view. Nevermind that fans voicing their feelings in an open format, and potentially bringing concerns directly to developers, has drastically altered the way companies deal with their fanbases and led to a number of significant changes in accordance with what fans want. Never mind any of that, it's obviously silly nonsense. You've got all the answers, rendering all of that inconsequential. Where would we little folk be without you to come in and let us all know what's what, reminding us all how pointless this whole forum thing really is? Always a pleasure.

14. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Then stop acting like one

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Why are you even on a tangent about this? Are you autistic?

16. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Whoa now, let's not go down that road. Comparing someone electing to engage in condescending pretentiousness to someone who has autism is not a good move on anybody's part.

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I actually posses it. to be honest. at this point it's all a buzzword to me as an insult. I'm sort of loosing my patience with him really

18. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    I learned a valuable lesson from reading this thread: Why not to engage in canon debates.

"Which pretend things are more or less pretend than the rest of the pretend things." "Oh yeah? Well YOU suck!"

This is madness.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Edit: That wasn't necessary.

20. Darth Eddie

May 14, 2013
    ...okay that's cool dude. Totally NOT, by the way.

I will restrict my movement to places where jokes told are accepted as such without ridicule.

On record, it was intended to be neither. Whether I consider a thing canon or not does not influence my enjoyment of it. I have read plenty of Star Wars books, and I was only interested in seeing what people felt about a movies/TV = canon position. Maybe I didn't express that the right way; I certainly wasn't trying to troll. Apologies where due but I do not accept slight from others.

That's it I'm outta here.

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Clarification is nice

22. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't let a few hard reactions drive you away so easily. As you can see from certain members' postings, there's an often-present sentiment of "shut up and take it" that lingers around the forum and grates on many. Sadly, what you've said in jest or otherwise without ill-intent, quite a few have thrown out in full straight-faced force. Personally, I could see that you weren't attempting to troll when you liked the GIF I posted on the last page, despite the opposing viewpoint expressed therein. But I'm sure you can understand how repeated insult has soured good faith and made the benefit of the doubt a bit harder to come by. That said, I'm sure you'll find your reception noticeably warmer having made your reasonable position clear.

Contessa and Darth Eddie like this.
  23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Basically whatever the hell you abbreviate this place as now became a constant battle of bashers and gushers. And we're tired. So tired

24. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Probably no worse than the retcons that were necessary when the Prequels came out. And that sorted itself out quickly.

25. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Young woman yells at cloud.