main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Retcons and fitting in TCW into the broader EU

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by General Immodet, Mar 23, 2013.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone in this thread is reminded to please play nice.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Contessa and Esg like this.
  3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

[​IMG]

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

Basically what I meant

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Hmm, this is how I always viewed it:

Ignoring comics, books, games, and other EU supplementary material that I don't have the time to dedicate reading to get the "whole Star Wars story", I think the micro series and TCW can fit together. Here's how I order it:
    -AotC
    -CW S1 (essentially, the first year of the War)
    -Here it gets a little messy, but with some thought, you could effectively put together the second season of the micro series and the TCW series. You watch the second season of the micro series and there's a few quick battles, then a massive montage that ends with two arcs that effectively bring us right into RotS. TCW seems to take place during the last year and a half of the War, as the episode "Rookies", which is an early Season 1 episode, makes mention of the oncoming of the Outer Rim Sieges. Coupled with the use of the Venators, we can assume that TCW series takes place at least a good several months after the opening battle in Geonosia. So, TCW and the second season of the micro series goes hand in hand, and a battle by battle timeline could be established with enough dedicated study.
    -RotS

6. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Oh don't be like that. I love the EU.

7. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Uuuh, I feel tempted to join in this little argument, but these "Canon Wars" are so petty.
    And to think I used to actually care about canon, instead of just reading, watching and playing what I like.

And while I'm not a mod, I'd just like to say: Can we stop with the condescension and the name calling? This isn't 4chan or IMDb, there's nothing to get so heated about.

8. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Because you said so?

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Not sure how you retcon Adi Gallia dying at the hands of a mighty Sith Lord instead of a wheezy cyborg.

Or how you retcon Even Piell dying on Lola Sayu instead of on Coruscant, years later.

Can't think of anymore blatant violations of prior canon.

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Cause Lucas said so

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I enjoy canon debates much more after reading people debate canon in the letters pages of Marvel's Star Wars comics from the 1970's. Can Luke not swim but Leia can? Can Leia not swim but Luke can? Does Splinter of the Mind's Eye take precedent over the Marvel comics, or vice versa?

[face_hypnotized]

The Shadow Emperor and Mzukiller like this.
  12. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Alright, guess the sequels will never be made. You know. Because he "said so."

Ichor_Razor likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Ryloth we see in tCW is the same as in the old EU it is just that all the twilight zone is broader than the old EU made it seems like. All the old Ryloth adventures take place on the deeper borderlands, very near the day or night zone, wile the tCW take place in the middle of the twilight zone.

15. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Retcons, eh?

[​IMG]

OK, it was probably George Lucas ultimately responsible for the continuity clashes, but after finding this I thought it was too funny not to share.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Who is it?

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
  18. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Personally the only work in the EU I consider non-canon because of TCW is the Slaves of the Republic comic.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have not read Slaves of the Republic, can you spoil me what happen in it?

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Well its not what happens in it. Its that TCW adapted it.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Huh:confused:

22. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    What he's trying to say is that Slaves of the Republic was initially it's own comic mini-series, an intended-to-be-canon tie-in to the TV series. However, a little while after the comic was published, the TV series elected to adapt the story of the comic for the screen. The problem in this, though, was that they—for some reason I cannot fathom—decided to change significant elements of the comic story, from the design of the main alien race, to the identity of one of the major villainous players, among other things. It's not been officially deemed non-canon, but the comic itself has become mostly irrelevant, replaced in the canonical order by the TV series' adaptation.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can actually see this happening in the future. Like "Heir to the Empire" is so popular, I can see it being adapted at some point. And now Admiral Palleon is, like, a 6 foot blue cat, the story takes place 10 years after ROTJ and Leia is pregnant with Skippy Solo or whatever.

25. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]