main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Retcons and storytelling - when they make things better or worse

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Given we know the Khommites surrendered to Daala, what gives the impression they didn't conquer anything?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Khomm did not surrender. Daala ordered Cronus to go there and bombard the entire planet because a Jedi went there once so obviously the whole planet must be a target. Cronus went there. He bombarded the planet from orbit. He left. The New Republic later sent disaster assistance. The Remnant never had anything to do with it ever again, because Cronus was on a mission to hop around shooting at things, not to put for the effort required to actually exert control of worlds. Just another entry in Daala's reign of civilian-targeting random terrorism!

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Sorry, I just remember they continued the bombing after the Khomms had transmitted their surrender.

But yes, the New Republic was ill-prepared for Daala's Blitzkrieg. The Essential Chronology (written by KJA natch) talks about how Daala's "psychological blows" had a devastating effect in combination with actual military attacks.

But yes, I may have been premature in that.

Crazy Retcons I'd LIKE to see

* Shaak-Ti is actually Ahsoka Tano under an assumed name in TFU.

* Ahsoka Tano/Shaak-Ti faked her death by jumping in the dianoga.

* Rahm Koto's hatred of the Empire was leading him down the path of the Dark Side.

* Jacen Solo actually wasn't corrupted to the Dark Side of the Force and it was somehow a Sith doppleganger or clone.

(Ridiculous? Yes, would I care? Not really)

* The Father, Son, and Daughter are still out there.

* Vader was the Sith'ari.

* Darth actually is the title the Dark Jedi were given when they conquered the Sith, giving us a perfectly good reason why the Sith adopt it.

* Darth Imperius and Lightside Sith Warrior are canon.

* Darth Vectivus is actually George Lucas.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

And even that feat is questionable as people like Harrsk and Teradoc have demonstrated much more tactical skill then her and properly would have been more useful to the Empire in the long run.

5. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    But Harrsk and Teradoc would never have let others tell them what to do (except Palpatine)...
    They would not be able to form an united front to fight the "rebels".
    Still, I think they could have done a worser job than Daala...

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There's no evidence they're not complete idiots. Certainly, the fact they chose to continue waging a Somali-Warlord style war against each other than work to build their own empires doesn't speak well to their intelligence. I'd like to remind people that Daala's failures are also somewhat exaggerated in the grand scheme of things.

1. Two of her failures were due to facing an indestructible Doomsday machine.
    2. Another was Admiral Ackbar willing to use a Calamari cruiser as a giant bomb.
    3. The loss of the Knight Hammer was due to whatever idiot was handling security.

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    One just needs to win out and that is that.

They would be hard pressed to, Teradoc fought more or less successful campaigns on 4 fronts for several years, whilst like Harrsk and Delvarus they had kept their own stellar kingdoms up and running for years and were considered useful enough to be kept around by the Emperor and sent out to fight as part of his “retake the galaxy” campaign. All after having years of experience as fleet commanders.

Daala... slept with a Grand Moff after basic training and got send off to a depot base (one that was unimportant enough that the Emperor did not even bother to send somewhere there to reactive it), from which she returned only after losing a weapon that could have single handily won the Empire back the galaxy, and then goes to wreck her 4 ImpStars, then murders several skilled Admirals only to go right ahead and loose countless more Star Destroyers.

You don't last as a galactic Warlord or as Fleet Commander in the Empire for that long if you do not know what you are doing. :p Sure they might not be Thrawn or Zsinj but they were all already in high positions before Endor.

Which was stolen from under her nose, you know if you have 30000+ Stormtroopers with nothing to but twiddle thumbs for years, you might consider sending a few to guard your super weapons. :p

She is fighting the Rebels here, they do that often enough.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You mean like Feena D'Asta, the heiress to the largest privately-owned fleet in the galaxy?

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Mace Windu: That is still debateable
    Or something along that line...

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Who has no military experience whatsoever. :p

Also, Thrawn lost a Impstar to the exact same maneuver.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I commented on the "reasonable female Imperial" part, in with I think Feena D'Asta fitts

12. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    The D'Astras are supposed to own the largest privately-owned fleet in the galaxy and be very powerful, still they only appear in CE if I remember correctly.
    I think it would be nice to see members of families like the Tagges and the D'Astras appear more.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

He wasn't present ;)

14. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Do you think Daala's hair Always was red or did she let her hair be paint red by her hair dresser (coiffeur)?

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I wonder if Jagged Fel was the first Emperor or Soontir.

16. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Jagged Fel was the first Emperor (Legacy comics).
    Do who know when and where Baron Fel lost his eye?

17. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

General Immodet likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I, personally, go Darth Nox and Light Warrior. Imperius is my favorite title, though; it's just that if my Inquisitor was light, then every single one of my TOR characters would be light.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's very hard to make the Dark Side appealing when the Sith do so much to make it un.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    True. But I wanted to see at least once what an actual Sith story was like...unfortunately I've heard the Inquisitor story is insufferably boring in Act II. :p