main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Retcons in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As in retroactive continuity... something I fear greatly. One could argue that turning "Vader killed your father" into "Vader is your father" was a retcon, but at least they managed to explain that one with that whole "certain point of view" thing.

Anyway, do you want/expect any retcons in Episodes VII-IX? How would you feel about them? Is there anything in particular you feel could be retconned into a good old fashioned "I am your father" style plot twist?

kainee, Dra--- and MiamiJedi like this.
  2. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Obi-Wan. Everything he told in OT was a lie (yeah, it was true "from certain point of view", but you know what I mean). So, what if he is not dead? What if there was a hole in Death Star where he jumped, just to cheat Vader? He appeared as a ghost? Nope, it was just a holo. So I think we can start Episode VII from Obi-Wan appearing in Luke's bedroom and telling him how proud he is and how he died "from certain point of view".

Best retcon ever.

3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes, I'm expecting them. If the Sith appear, it'll necessitate a retcon--the Chosen One was prophesied to destroy the Sith, which he did at the end of ROTJ.

And now for a totally boring statement:

"I don't mind a retcon, as long as it's executed well."

[face_plain]

Immortiss likes this.
  4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I guess if the whole "Plagueis and/or Palpatine are back" rumor is true, then that would indeed be a retcon... hm... well, let's not discuss THOSE theories here :p

DarthRelaxus and Count Yubnub like this.
  5. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I really hope there are no retcons in the sequels. The story previously told should stand as it was originally written. Minor retcons are okay if needed, anything else please no.

6. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'll be the first to admit I'm not 100% sure was counts as a retcon and what doesn't when you get deep into things, but in its basic form, I would say no, we wont see any.

Sith appearing, as far as I understand it, would only be a retcon if it is out of the blue as opposed to connected to elements of the story that we know. I would argue that there is a difference between a retcon and learning something new within the story.

That said, for example, Plageuis in the ST would not be a retcon. As I have said elsewhere on that topic, the events of the PT and OT in terms of The Prophecy and The Chosen One had to happen. If Plageuis knew that Anakin was destine to burn the house down, and die in the process, he was smart enough not to be home when it happened. If this is was comes to be, I wouldn't call that a retcon.

7. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Retcons are UNAVOIDABLE!

Episode VI was meant to be the end of the saga. Now it is just one chapter in a series. Of course there will be retcons! What was the end is no longer the end. For the story to continue, things must be changed!

I still can't get how all the kids accept the retcons.....I still feel like puking whenever Obi Wan goes into the whole "certain point of view" talk as IMO is was a poor way to write out of "Darth Vader killed your father" after Lucas decided into making Anakin Vader, after Episode IV came out...

Get ready for a "reinterpretation" the deaths of Vader and the Emperor.

And also the end of the Empire with the battle of Endor.....

If the writing is good then we will believe it ...if not....we get another awkward moment(s) like Obi Wan talking about "points of view"....

David_Skywalker01 likes this.
  8. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    MiamiJedi
    This wouldn't necessarily be the case if elements were placed in the PT in order to open that door for an ST, as I suspect they were.

9. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

I, for one, am utterly unconvinced that Lucas decided to make Darth Vader Luke's father after episode IV came out.

10. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    This is the first interesting and relevant thread I've seen in a while.:p

I do think there will be retcons, unfortunately. I'm hoping there aren't any though...The only major one I can really get behind would be the Plagueis one, but I don't see that as a retcon really...

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  11. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Plageuis wouldn't be a retcon. Some might argue that point, but there is a huge difference between previous ideas and finished work.

Yeah, this is the first thread in a while that made my ears stand up.....

Bullhead CIty and Echo-07 like this.
  12. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    My thoughts as well, but some might see it that way.

13. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Palpatine2016

I added this as an edit before your response.....

Plageuis wouldn't be a retcon. Some might argue that point, but there is a huge difference between previous ideas and finished work.

Immortiss and Bullhead CIty like this.
  14. MiamiJedi

MiamiJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Lucas was not planning a ST when the PT came out.

It's a known fact that Lucas decided to make Darth Vader Luke's father after episode IV came out! This is not new news. The whole Vader as Luke's father came in on later drafts of ESB after it was found lacking.
    Google it.

Here is a quote from a 1977 George Lucas interview from Rolling Stone,
    "What's the story?
    It's about Ben and Luke's father and Vader when they are young Jedi knights. But Vader kills Luke's father, then Ben and Vader have a confrontation, just like they have in Star Wars, and Ben almost kills Vader. As a matter of fact, he falls into a volcanic pit and gets fried and is one destroyed being. That's why he has to wear the suit with a mask, because it's a breathing mask. It's like a walking iron lung. His face is all horrible inside. I was going to shoot a close-up of Vader where you could see the inside of his face, but then we said, no, no, it would destroy the mystique of the whole thing."

He makes it up as he goes along.....nothing wrong with that.
    Although I still think the Ben speech concerning the "certain point of view" to explain away the inconsistency is still very cringe worthy.
    I hope the new films have better writing to avoid such missteps.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Very shortly after that (November 1977- and I think the interview was in August 1997), Star Wars Poster Monthly did a Vader article, with all that data.

http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_global.asp?Image=timetales/misc/arcana/post2-02.jpg

D.A. McCoy, Vohnkar and MiamiJedi like this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Sigh. No, it's not a "known fact," it's just speculation by overzealous fans based on stuff that really shouldn't count as "evidence," but that others take as gospel.

Why do you think that quote counts as "evidence"? If you had a plot twist coming up, wouldn't you want to keep it a secret?

Vader being Luke's father was one of the *possible* story continuations that Lucas had in his head when he was making ANH (it's pretty obvious in the 3rd draft, IIRC)--you may also look.this up in "The making of the Empire Strikes Back."

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How is Plagueis not a retcon?

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Because it's only Yoda that tells us that "Always two there are" - he can be misinformed.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Palpatine says that Plagueis died. And a character being misinformed is a retcon if I'm not mistaken.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He says that in RoTS- at which point, he was indeed dead going by the Darth Plagueis novel.

21. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    IMO, Plagueis would be a retcon because the chosen one is supposed to destroy the Sith at the end of ROTJ. If the Sith aren't actually destroyed by then, it would constitute a retcon.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    As Yoda puts it in RoTS "A prophesy .. that misread, could have been"

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A retcon is when the intended meaning is changed, not when content is decanonized.

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  25. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Yeah, that's what Yoda says. But as it stands, it wasn't misread--therefore, retcon.

Darth_Pevra and darklordoftech like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.