main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Retcons in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In this case, it wouldn't be so much "retconning in-universe statements" as "retconning out-of-universe statements".

Lucas made the out-of-universe statement that the deaths of Palpatine and Vader in RoTJ (through Anakin's actions) fulfill the prophesy as given in RoTS.

For Palpatine to have somehow survived, and for the prophesy to remain unfulfilled, would be a retcon of this out-of-universe statement.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I think it was misread in that they believed that the Chosen One wouldn't EVER use the Dark Side.

kainee, Immortiss and Sum-Wan like this.
  3. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

Fair enough. But if a different interpretation of events-on-screen doesn't count as a retcon, then what does count as a retcon?

Is that EU?

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Lines being changed? ("Bring me my shuttle", to "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival").

5. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Isn't that just an alteration, not a retcon?

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It still technically fits the definition:

(Previously established fact: Vader says X)
    (Currently established fact: Vader says Y)

7. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Yeah, but it doesn't change continuity. Vader's still going to the Star Destroyer in his shuttle.

If ROTJ or some other sequel were to explain that he stopped by a bar for a quick beer on the way, that would be a retcon, as I understand it.

8. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What somebody says isn't part of continuity?

About the Chosen One using the Dark Side thing, it's just my feeling.

9. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    It doesn't change the facts of what were happening. Vader left Bespin via shuttle to his Star Destroyer.

10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

In my understanding--and I could be totally wrong here--a retcon is when a sequel, or story set after the original story, changes some aspect of the first story by either adding stuff to it (as in the above example, explaining that Vader stopped by a bar on his way to his Star Destroyer) or changing the interpretation of something, like Leia being Luke's sister.

Again, I could be wrong. I'm not really sure what the OP was asking about--maybe he/she can clarify?

11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    So wait wait, elaborate here -

Let's say Palpatine or Plagueis or some kind of Sith manage to return. Yeah, that would constitute previous REAL WORLD statements as having been retconned, but does it mean there's been an in-universe retcon? It would really just be a big plot twist like any other, no?

Count Yubnub and darklordoftech like this.
  12. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Midichlorians.

Perhaps Qui-Gon was some sort of Jedi zealot with unconventional ideas about the origin of The Force. We are told in Episode 7 that The Force really isn't tied to the physical world after all.

This would undo on PT blunder at least.

Heero_Yuy and Darth_Pevra like this.
  13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You're right that it would not be an in-universe retcon because an in-universe retcon is impossible without a Special Edition.

14. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh, ffs, did you even pay attention? Midichlorians make no physical connection to the world more than the Force already had. It's caused BY the Force, it doesn't cause the Force. It's just an indicator if you will. It's like a plant respirating - chlorophyll doesn't cause the greenness to appear, rather it's just an indicator that the chlorophyll is there.

CrazyOldJedi, HanJones and kainee like this.
  15. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Changing Anakin's ghost from being old to being young isn't exactly a retcon. HOWEVER, if Shaw were to be kept as the ghost, then Hayden appeared as Anakin's ghost in Episode VII or something, that would be a retcon.

kainee likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Oh Jesus backflippin' Christ.

First, ESB did not tell us in any way, shape or form that "The Force really isn't tied to the physical world after all." (In fact, ANH said that it was "created by all living things") Secondly, the PT movies do not suggest that the midichlorians have anything to do with the "origin of the Force."

17. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

My understanding of what a retcon is is obviously different from you guys', which is all fine&interesting--but if different people mean different things with the same word, it makes communication kind of difficult.

So, OP with all due respect: what exactly are you afraid of the ST might do?

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Huh... well, contradicting blatantly established facts purely for shock value is a nightmare, but I doubt that will happen. That's the kind of stuff I'd post in the "walk out of Episode VII" thread :p

Realistically though, retconning that Anakin is the Chosen One would suck. Even in-universe... he's the Chosen One. He brings balance to the Force. They even acknowledge he is in ROTS, regardless of misreading the prophecy or not. That's really the first thing that comes to mind... Various other annoyances are "Character X isn't actually dead". You can probably tell I'm not a big fan of the "Palpatine is still alive" theory. I'd be ok with Plagueis if they could write that off well enough but... not Palpatine.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm tempted to joke about Palpatine flying out the other end of the DS2 and landing on Korriban, where he becomes stronger than ever.

20. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Not officially, but we don't know for sure. We know what was said, and we know that almost everything he has said over the years he has also contradicted. I think it is certainly quite possible he was, or at least planting seeds just in case.

Darkslayer and darthfettus2015 like this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

I agree it's certainly possible he was planning the ST at that point. He did say that the Senate would return in Episode 7, on the ROTS DVD commentary.

kainee likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That could easily be explained as, "He changes his mind a lot."

kainee and Count Yubnub like this.
  23. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    True. A lot.

24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Or rather, he opened up a hyperspace wormhole to transport himself to another part of the galaxy before he could fall into the reactor, much like how the Glove of Darth Vader was pulled through a wormhole created by the destruction of the hypermatter in the DS2's core, and ended up in Dac. :p All about precedent, people!

Trololololol!

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Sith or Plagueis wouldn't be a retcon. Yoda himself said that the prohpecy might be misinterpreted and for all we know Anakin did his own part and brought balance for a while and then it went out of balance again. Balance is not a permanent thing. Palpatine said Plagueis was dead, but then again Obi-Wan also said that Luke's father was murdered. Having Plagueis appear with a two sentence explanation on "Hey, Palps though he killed me, but he didn't cause, y'know, I'm really good at this Force thing." is no more of a retcon than "Yeah, your dad was murdered...kinda...metaphorically...from a certain point of view...if you squint."

LunarMoth and Bullhead CIty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.