main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Retcons in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I can sense it now, today we make fun of Obi-Wan's habit of smearing the truth, one of these days in the future, we'll be looking back and laughing at Plagueis's penchant for immortality.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, cheating death once is not necessarily immortality.

3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I do think that line from RoTS may play into the whole "Chosen One" deal in the ST. I think it'll end up meaning the Skywalkers' will be the ones who maintain the balance, and Anakin was the one who brought balance.

kainee likes this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

Once again, since Anakin did destroy the Sith, the prophesy wasn't misread. If the new movies alter this by making the Sith survive, it would constitute a retcon.

5. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Fair enough, but in all honesty I wouldn't really find it that big of a deal personally.

6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    From a story pov though, maybe he didn't explicitly destroy the Sith. Yes, it's been stated in real life, but I don't remember Anakin going "Yay the Sith are dead forever now I'm dead let me look on you with my own eyes" at any time in the movies... I wouldn't call it a retcon.

MiamiJedi likes this.
  7. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    He did destroy the current Sith, but I would argue not the Sith in general. That would mean he had to wipe out every mention of them ever, all of their teachings, relics, histories and to pretty much make sure that no one ever turns back to the dark side and restores the Sith Order or simply does his own dark side thing, claiming the Sith title in the process.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

That's fine, but like I asked before, if that's not a retcon, then what would be a retcon?

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    At first glance at the thread list, I keep seeing this thread title as "Raccoons in the ST." It's pretty unlikely, haha.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's a retcon.

kainee likes this.
  11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Easy there, bud. It's just some movies. Take a deep breath. Better?

If Midichlorians are as inert as you claim, why was the idea introduced at all?

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Take Michael Jordan. Midis = his muscles, reflexes, etc. The Force = the ball.

13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Haha, sorry, I admit, I get a bit carried away sometimes... it just gets kind of frustrating with so many people misinterpreting Midis, but really, I can understand. It's not really made that clear. My bad!

klooney and Immortiss like this.
  14. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001

Pretty sure that language isn't allowed here. But I digress.

Ben: "The Force is an energy field, created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, binds the galaxy together."

Yoda: "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Midi's were invented by George to give a number to how strong Anakin was in The Force. Something you could directly compare on paper to someone else. His numbers were "off the charts." I understand this.

If The Force were left as just an energy field, it would have been harder to convince the Jedi Council of Anakin's potential.

What Midi's mean to me, is that only those special few with these things in their cells can hope to become a Jedi or, at the very least, communicate with The Force. That goes against what Ben said about The Force being created by "all living things" and "binding the galaxy together."

Go ahead, flame away.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    1. Midis are never stated to be the only way to use The Force.
    2. Ben never said anything about who can and can't use The Force.

16. Grand_Moff_Jawa

May 31, 2001
    Exactly my point. Ben said The Force is ubiquitous. Everywhere. The PT doesn't really contradict this, but it puts the disclaimer that only those with Midi's can communicate with The Force. And Yes, Qui-Gon clearly stated that Midi's lived in cells and allowed us access to the Force. He never gave a list of other methods to access The Force. Without Midi's, you have no chance to be a Jedi.

kainee and The Hellhammer like this.
  17. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    All beings have midis. Luke, Han, Lando, Chewie, wampas, mynocks. If you have more of them, you have potentially a greater connection to the Force. Anyone can theoretically become a Jedi.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Still waiting for someone to revive belief in Zeus.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reminder: Everyone please play nice.

Immortiss likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I think it is a bad comparison. Zeus was a deity, while the Sith are not. It would be far more accurate to compare the Sith to a martial arts school that has it's own distinct fighting style and philosophy. Comparing a deity that grants no superpowers to it's followers and has no tangible and direct influence on the physical world to the Sith who very much have super powers and direct physical effect on their universe is also not really an appropriate comparison.

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBoba like this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree with all of this, but I don't think a martial arts school that has it's own distinct fighting style and philosophy and that very much has super powers and direct physical effect on their universe is any more likely to get resurrected.

22. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I agree with this but I don't think anybody can become a Jedi. IMO, Midis are one indication of your sensibility to the Force. While the Force lives in everything and everybody, not everybody can have the necessary sensibility to it that is required. Jedi training will work to make a stronger connection to the Force regardless of your Midi count so there can be a more powerful Jedi with a lower Midi count and viceversa. A high Midi count only makes it more likely that you can become a powerful Jedi or Force user. Force sensitiveness is still mysterious and those who have it show signs of it from an early age which would be the first indicator to recognize their potential, a Midi count higher than average, if present, would be a confirmation.

kainee likes this.
  23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    And I think the point of the theme is science (midi-chlorians) vs. faith. Anakin has all the potential (determinism), but he has little faith. He has free-will to choose what he will do with that potential, however, he has a lack of faith and so he falls or fails.

And perhaps this theme will continue with Plagueis.

kainee and Bullhead CIty like this.
  24. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Concerning the argument that a return of the Sith would constitute a retcon, I'd just like to say the following:

1.) Anakin's destiny was to bring balance to the Force. Read or misread, prophecy or coincidence, right or wrong. Inevitably he kills Sideous, and in the process, himself. Thus all known Sith are destroyed.

2.) Many have stated, <including series creator George on the ROTJ audio commentary when Vader chucks the Emperor down the shaft>, correctly or incorrectly, that destruction of the Sith brings balance to the Force. This is something I've taken philosophical issue with over the years.

How could destruction of the penultimate darkside practicing cult bring BALANCE to the Force? If all darkness were taken away, and nothing but light remained, would that not contradict George's yin/yang universal philosophies in the SW galaxy? Would not an all LIGHT universe be a contradiction in itself?

So, no, I do not believe a new Sith presence hurts, destroys, or retcons any established canon.

25. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I agree with this, if it is explained well in the ST. Please no more "leaving it for the audience to decide" on matters that have fans split on interpretation.
    When I connect the dot and get an elephant and someone else gets a chair, there is something wrong with the delivery of the story.

Immortiss and Bullhead CIty like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.