main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Retcons in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    How about a group who corrupted the very first Sith?

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope they retcon that anyone that died in the PT is actually alive and well.

3. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Night Sisters? No. Witches and magic would not be received well in a Star Wars movie.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't know why. Palpatine is really the SW equivalent of an evil wizard so I don't see how an evil witch can't work in the ST. Personally, I think it would be awesome!

5. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

But its not magic. Its just a different way of accessing the force.

Its worked well in the Clone Wars series, why not in a movie. This Dark Side/Magic cult started growing in power and is a problem.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I keep seeing "racoons in the ST" whenever I look at this thread title, dammit! (Which could happen. Disney also owns Marvel. Which has Rocket Racoon. Just sayin')

7. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    Star Wars is practically ABOUT witches and magic.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

[face_laugh]

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Not really. He's the evil emperor. he's always been the evil emperor, since when does anyone think of him as a wizard?
    Practically is not the same as literally. The Force is one thing, but if we start diving into Voodoo and rituals that runs the risk of alienating the audience. A lot of the things that work in the EU can't logically translate well. People will start asking questions...annoying questions.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Talzin's rituals in TCW spring to mind- they might appeal, but they might also be alienating.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not talking about the characters title but the sort of archetype the character is built from. Take Ben Kenobi for example, he's the archetypal wizard character even though in the story he's called a Jedi Knight.

12. Markpro

Markpro Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    It was always said Anakin would bring balance to the force.
    At the end of ROTJ there was 1 Jedi (Luke)...so there should also be 1 Sith left to balance things...i think.

Immortiss likes this.
  13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    ...Welcome to the forums :)

14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    How do you know this to be 100% fact?

Where does it state in the prophecy that the Sith were supposed to be destroyed by the end of RotJ? I didn't realise the prophecy had a specific timeframe. :p

In the case of Pagueis (a character we have never seen and only heard of just once) I would say it's more in line with a plot twist.

But that is only within the confines of the 6 part story. Things change, it's a 9 part story now. This is why I'm saying we have to let go of our current understanding of the saga and be prepared for change. Nowhere does it state the prophecy is complete, nowhere does it implicitly state the prophecy is understood correctly. I don't think that constitutes a retcon, more a continuation/extension.

15. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    StoneRiver

Yes, Plagueis would be a plot twist more than a retcon.

Immortiss likes this.
  16. Don't grab the glowy end

Don't grab the glowy end Jedi Padawan

Jul 25, 2013
    I think you're underestimating the degree to which Star Wars falls under the fantasy genre. I'm not talking about the EU either - the films contain devils, wizards, sword fights, dragons, cowboys, princesses, knights, palace guards, counts, queens, and probably many other things that I'm forgetting. Sure, they'd need to couch the witch or magic in Star Wars-y terminology, but I think it could fit right in.

As for as the original question, I think the only thing in the films that counts as a true - and in-universe - retcon is the thing about Leia remembering her true mother.

klooney, kainee and Immortiss like this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

There are some pretty strong indications that Lucas not only knew there would be an ST, but also knew about WHEN. That is an interesting video floating around this site of Hamill, sometime not long after ROTJ, talking about Lucas asking him to be in another SW movie AROUND 2011

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Not necessarily. Luke's father probably loved adventure like his son. Luke's father became a Jedi knight, which ended up getting him killed. Notice that Beru said it in a rather positive, almost affectionate way, as though Luke had noble qualities like his father. It was Owen who was concerned, and that could easily have been for Luke's safety. As Ben said, Owen didn't want Luke going off on foolish, idealistic missions with him. The comments by Owen and Beru don't necessarily say that Vader was Luke's father.

19. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Unless George Lucas is a psychic, there is no way he could have predicted that he would sell his company to Disney in 2012 and they would make three more Star Wars films. GL initially planned the ST and PT, but dropped the ST after his divorce. His multiple statements about the ST 'not happening' and how the saga was the 'Tragedy of Darth Vader' prove this. Somewhere along the line (probably upon getting an offer from Disney, or after being inspired by his work on CW), George resurrected his ST plans. That one random quote lining up with what happened is a mere coincidence.

Random Comments likes this.
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Not at all. So was it just a coincidence? Did he just randomly toss out 2011 in asking Hamill if he wanted to be in SW again? No, he had an idea of when he would make it or allow it to be made. No one said anything about him predicting Disney buying him out. If he wanted to make the movies, or wanted someone else to after he "retired," it didn't take a genius or a psychic to know he could easily make it happen. Your post seems to imply it is some kind of stretch or miracle that Disney agreed to buy him out and make SW movies; ANY studio would want a guaranteed money maker like SW, that was a given anytime Lucas wanted it to happen.

Those statements "prove" absolute nothing; in fact, he was still denying it when the deal was in the works and he was working on the new treatments for the ST, THAT is a fact. He had been working on those treatments intensively for a few years before, and that was during the time he made some of those "absolute" statements of "no more SW." I think he just likes to troll the geeks that were trolling him so often, but who knows what his real motives are. There is plenty of evidence, nonetheless, that he had been planning to have more SW all along.

Skywalker Thing and kainee like this.
  21. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    You miss my point. I'm saying that, from the late 1980's until a couple of years ago, the ST was completely off the table. He repeatedly said that there was going to be no ST. He billed the saga as the "Tragedy of Darth Vader", and said the saga was complete. No offense, but this is pretty solid proof that the ST being a 'thing which is happening' is a pretty recent idea. George obviously was planning a ST at several points during the OT - there is no denying it. 2011 would be the perfect year for George to film a new set of SW films, what with the actors being the right age and all. Just because the Disney deal happened in 2012 doesn't prove that he was planning it "all along". If he was planning it all along, why did ST plot elements get folded into ROTJ? Heck, why didn't he just keep his PT crew together and make the ST a couple of years after ROTS, if that was the case?

Look, I'm not saying that GL just made up the ST to sell his company. I'm just saying that GL decided to resurrect the ST and find a way to make it happen recently. To believe that he has been planning this entire thing since 1983 is absurd.

Random Comments likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    You ignore the biggest bit in my post- Lucas has been denying the existence of the ST since well into the time he was writing it (and negotiating the deal with Disney) and therefore was knowingly B.S.'ing fans since he was certain it was going to happen (in the past few years). So it really isn't terribly meaningful that he denied it and called it the Saga of Vader back then; he was always secretive, and always changing his mind about the plot and storylines. He didn't make the ST after the OT because that isn't the time line he had in mind; he had an interest in making it around 2011, and stated such back in the 80's. That video of Hamill saying that is around here on this site, maybe you should watch it. That pretty much states it as fact that this was the timeline he had in mind, whether or not you choose to ignore it. He directly asked Hamill if he would like to be in the next SW "around 2011."

23. DarthSpaced

DarthSpaced Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2012
    Hi guys/gals, been awhile. My 2 cents worth to only have to Retcon 1 thing: My 1st cent: In order for GL to make use of HIS ST treatments a stipulation of the sale, he has had the idea for the ST for quite awhile. Didn't he tell Hamill back around Empire(1980) that the 3rd trilogy would deal with Luke and morality and philosophical implications? He said the story of Darth Vader is over, not necessarily the Skywalker Story. Luke's own story now takes precedent after being just a vehicle to redeem Anakin in IV-VI. I don't know why anyone has questions when GL had the ST in mind: Yoda sets up the ST IN 1983, little movie called ROTJ : "pass on what you have learned." My 2nd cent: Episodes I-VI are "shown" because the Sith take over the Universe/Republic. It's historically significant. Anakin brought balance because after he killed Sid/himself, in this time period, good could rise again. Other side of that coin, The Sith can return because the ST is set "quite sometime after Jedi." So, Anakin did his part to save the galaxy in the OT timeframe, and now, it's a different time. Now it's Luke/Leia's or their offspring's time to save the galaxy. Anakin's prophecy was linked to Sidious and his version of the Sith. There is always someone waiting to take over the "establishment", even if they are just as evil. In one time period we had Nazi Germany trying to rule the world, then about 40 or so years later Russia was feeling froggy. Same thing in SW universe. Sid/Vader's version of Sith is over and now some years later another Sith, with their own ideas of what a Sith is, feels that they can succeed where they failed, and/or maybe wants to avenge Vader/Sid, almost as an excuse for trying to destroy the New Republic. Here's the Retcon: New Sith is a secret apprentice to Vader or Sidious or, or, the new Sith is something that Vader and Sid were going to deal with after the rebels. New Sith could say something to Luke or someone that they were an app to Vader or Sid, or that Vader and Sid were going to be gunning for them after the rebels because they could feel their power growing. I can deal with a secret app story if it pits Vader against Sid, Vader wanted to kill him/her because they were a threat to his position with Sid and Sid wanted them if he couldn't have Vader's kid, as some twisted joke, to replace him.

24. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    It will be revealed that Midichlorians do not imbue people with the Force, rather they are merely an indicator that someone is strong in the Force. (Sort of like a high number of white blood cells indicate that someone has an infection, but are not the cause of the infection.) This can be explained away as a scientific misunderstanding that stood unchallenged for a long time.

25. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    Wait, the Chosen One was meant to bring balance to the Force. That balance only happened AFTER the Jedi were all but wiped out by Order 66. If all the Sith were destroyed, the Force would be out of balance the other way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.