main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rethink Your Life: A New Hope - PT Social Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by heels1785 , Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As I was taught, Romanian was the remains of Latin that naturalized into that area

Jedi Knight Fett and Huttese 101 like this.
  2. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yes, but that's true of all Romance languages.

3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    There's an art to it.

*eyes his Yoko Ono albums*

4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013

some inspiration for you:p:

5. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013

great minds...@};-@};-@};-

Edit: Here's a second edition especially suited for this thread:p:

6. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    That's great, but it's like AHHH AHHH AHHH

While I'm going for AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

7. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    How was that woman ever a smoker?

8. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Ah, but the five others spread out and mixed with the people already settled there. That is not the case for Romanian

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I don't think I understand. Do you mean that Romanian speakers are purely descendants of ancient Romans? I'm not sure that's correct.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    I don't mind. But yes, I meant grammatically more conservative (at least with noun cases), hence Romanian.

Okay, we could tackle this systematically. Suppose there are three types of Latin affinity: morphological, phonological, and lexical. And I meant major Romance languages. I don't know enough about the twenty-whatever minority Romance languages in Spain, southern France, the Mediterranean etc. Do you know how Romanian is pronounced? Similar to Italian? I'm really asking; I honestly don't know. I guess I thought somehow it sounded like Polish or Russian. So Sardinian retains hard k's, do you know of any Romance language that still pronounces the Latinate "v" as /w/ (bilabial glide) like in classical Latin instead of /v/ (voiced fricative)? Does French have a higher percentage of words of native Latin origin than Romanian? Maybe, but at any rate, French is a historically dominant language of culture and science, I know it must have borrowed quite a bit--whereas, well, Romanian isn't. But I don't know what kind of protracted exposure Romanian has had with Slavic languages.

Jedi Knight Fett and B3 like this.
  11. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I agree - uninteresting characters

Likeable I guess, but not really relatable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Knight Fett and Deliveranze like this.
  12. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Romanian has /tʃ/ as a reflex of /k/ before i, e, and some(?) occurrences of a, so it is phonologically like Italian in that regard. No modern language has retained Latin /w/ as far as I know, at least intervocalically; they have all shifted to /v/ or /β/, though I believe the shift of /w/ to /β/ predates palatalization of c anyway.

Sardinian's phonology is only one reason I suggested it as closest to Latin. I believe the consensus is that it must have split off from Latin before the Common Era, well before any of the other forms of Romance.
    But you're right, how you answer which language is "closest" to Latin depends on what criteria you employ.

13. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    This conversation is the sexiest. God I love languages

It's what our Latin teacher mentioned - granted, she could have been incorrect. Wouldn't be the first time a teacher has taught something incorrect

Jedi Knight Fett, Valency Jane and B3 like this.
  14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Well there is the fact that Romanian retains an unusual amount of Roman military language, and it is unique in that it represents the only form of Romance surviving in what was the Imperial frontier.

15. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    I gotta jump off the hypernerd train pretty soon. I'm not on the up and up on Romantic languages.

So is every other allophone of "c" in Romanian a sibilant, like in Spanish or French?

Can't speak to intervocalicity, but incidentally English itself has retained Latin /w/. English wine>Old English win>Latin vinum. Importantly, this also a dead giveaway it was a pre-Norman borrowing from Latin. Similar to the hard c in candle, from Lat. candela.

No idea about that. You know, it's a shame you don't teach.

Yeah, somehow I recall reading that somewhere once

Also Seagoat about the "Roman" in Romania... you know, up until the Ottoman Turkish invasion, I'm pretty sure the Byzantine Greeks commonly self-identified as "Roman" too. And at that point, very few of them spoke Latin anymore!

16. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    You know, I don't mean to dominate the thread. Other topics are always welcome.
    [​IMG]

17. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Huttese 101, I just mean "soft" c. Hard c remains /k/ in Romanian.

18. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Anyone else reminded that English used to have, to my knowledge, seven extra letters? I believe at least two of those were directly stolen from Greek

19. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Bail B. Baobab don't get me wrong. I love this topic, I just feel like a dweeb when no one besides us is talking about it.

Seven? What are they? I can only think of five, and some of them were used at different times.

Jedi Knight Fett, Valency Jane and B3 like this.
  20. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Well there are æ, œ, ð, ʒ, þ, and wynn (which looked like a p, but I don't have a way to type it handy), but I don't know which would be considered to be taken directly from Greek. Thorn (þ) and wynn were runes originally.

21. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Oh I know.

For the record, everyone, I fully expect other conversations to take place around my nerdiness. I don't take offense to that at all. I like a robust, diverse, chaotic social thread.

22. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    But this thread embraces both HYPE trains and HYPERNERD trains!

and Love Trains for that matter:p ...

23. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Whoops, forgot about that one

And I didn't realize this was used in English

The one I was thinking of you didn't list is "long s," ſ, like from the Declaration of Independence... so that brings us to a grand total of 7. Boom.

And the letter K is from kappa and Y is from upsilon. Both are Greek and neither were in the Roman alphabet... otherwise, I don't know which ones are from Greek.

24. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
  25. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Oh come on, this is a great discussion. Never thought I'd see it here. :p

I can only say, from personal experience, knowing some Latin didn't help me much when I was studying French. It helped me more with English. :p French kinda distorted Latin words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.