main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rethink Your Life: The PT Social Thread: Episode III (image/gif-heavy)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    OK I may have been totally convinced that Jakku was Tatooine at one point before they announced the name:p

Also I'm sad I don't have the new X-Wings in Lego form yet:_|

2. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
  3. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    You were hardly alone. I like to talk about my skepticism because it's one of the few bits of speculation I got right. :p

4. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I DO. Bwahahahahahaha.

Poe's X-Wing (the orange one) is sweet. And I gave it to my son on 12/18 (?) after we got back from TFA, like it was Christmas or something, but in actuality it was because I am a crazy person. ;)

5. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  6. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Also, SW didn't have an original plot.
    Fine the original didn't but 40 years have passed, should we still have to be beholden to Cambell's mythic tropes?

I hate that. It quels creativity.

Without getting in more PT/myth discussion. The PT itself and TCW all manage to avoid major tropes- superweapons for example.

Explain to me why I shouldn't expect an original story? Or why I should have expected a lazy rehash of the first film?

To me there's no damned reason why.

And the film clearly has alot behind it that is just swept under the rug because apparently it will "anger the public and confuse them".

What's more confusing is the fact they set up a New Republic and it exists all of one hour without actually being relevant to the plot other than to be destroyed and has no explanation or place in the story they were telling.

To me that's not just bad storytelling that's the textbook example of something you do not do.

It's like the film was made without the world building elements because you have to buy the books to actually make sense of this nonsensical story that doesn't even obey it's own rules.

Lor San Tekka killed? No follow up.
    New Republic destroyed? Don't mention it again.

7. DarthAnakin96

Feb 5, 2016
    I'll have to get it at some point in my life or curse the LEGO gods or something. But then of course as I've said before my LEGO wishlist is miles long...

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett, Valency Jane and B3 like this.
  8. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    I know the feeling. And I have been buying so much Lego in the past half-year that Amazon is basically like "Welcome AMJ! Here's some Star Wars Lego we thought you'd wanna buy" every single damn time I log in.

We opened Battle on Takodana recently. We have Duel on Geonosis awaiting us.

9. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Because you knew it was a big budget Disney film.

JJ's previous films. Though I do take issue with "lazy." JJ and many others most certainly worked their asses off.

10. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
  11. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
  12. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    You people have added entirely too many new pages to this thread since I've been gone.

A causal or merely correlational connection? [face_whistling] ;)

JK all I know is my cat's still alive and kicking!

I knew a Campbell once too. I think he played the tuba. I was never friends with him.

I think it's pretty safe to assume they have Campbell's Soup in England. ;) I don't happen to know for a fact, but I think it's a sure bet.

Although to be fair sometimes I mention some brand or chain and I have half a mind to ask if y'all have that thing up north, but the answer's almost always yes, so I don't bother.

13. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    Darthmaul208 just look at the kittens. And puppies. ;)

Also while I know every once in awhile there's a flurry of people who express disappointment in one film or another, I also want to put in that I don't want to dislike Star Wars, and I love that this community is dedicated to also loving it even when we are making fun of it.

14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    One more
    [​IMG]

Just because civets.

15. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    No excuses.

So all Big budget disney films have no story now? It's just silly.
    Marvel seem to be doing all right, Pixar too.

But when it comes to SW, apparently I shouldn't even expect an original story.

What was the point with the spoiler protection of it? There was literally nothing to spoil.

JJ also did Super 8, that was fairly original.

I actually wanted him to direct before the announcement but he let me down. I've learnt my lesson.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I like how Huttese pays attention to my posts :D

*Gifts and...more gifts to you* :D

17. DarthAnakin96

Feb 5, 2016
    AH I need the Geonosis one. Got the Takodana one though:p One set though (here comes a LEGO ramble lol) I really wish they remade is this:
    [​IMG]
    Although it is really designed well for how older it is so I do want it. Its the only Zam figure ever made.

18. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I'll just clarify I enjoy it more now for what it is but it's still a compromise.

I'll be there for every SW film, opening night if possible so why shouldn't I expect the best film they can deliver.

It really wasn't the best film they could deliver. Far from it.

And I still support it, I buy the figures (when I can ******* find them) and other stuff so if there's anything I have a problem with I'd rather mention it rather than them make the same mistake, again. Otherwise what's the point?

It's clear to me, coming back from Celebration that the fans are important to them and that they do try to appease us.

How TFA came out the way it did though is beyond me because anyone can see the blatant story issues, lack of creativity and general insult to the past six films especially the OT.

TFA boils my blood, it wasn't all bad (Kylo Ren) and I look forward to Episode 8.

19. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    I bought the Geonosis one because we pathetically owned no Yodas prior to this, and my son is OBSESSED with Geonosis and it comes with Poggle the Lesser. ;)

And that Takodana set is sweet! I mostly wanted it for Finn, who I think is going to be a Big Deal, but also I love how the set can "fall apart". We have the confrontation scene from ROTJ on Death Star II, too, and it has a lot of the same "breakable" segments, etc. Also an Emperor with Force Lightning Hands.

I had no idea they even made a Zam figure but now I want it.

I also REEEEEEEALLY want that Captain Rex's AT-TE set because I am a total loser for the animated canon.

20. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I did wonder if they planned to at some point.

Before the Disney takeover with the 3d releases planned, the companies were planning to follow and release stuff.
    Then they had to change their plans.

Lego didn't fully change though-there were plenty of AOTC Geonosis sets out at the right time.

The speeder set probably couldn't fit into their plans.

21. Sepra

Sepra Force Ghost star 5

Jan 14, 2016
    I really enjoyed TFA. Any issues I have with it aren't like far and above any other issues with the other films. And hell, those aren't really issues anyway because the whole franchise is bonkers.

It's basically like this kitty. Why is it wearing that hat? Who knows! I'm just here for the hair and for how cute it is.

[​IMG]

22. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    That kitten's got attitude.

23. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    I have no problem with the X-Wings in TFA. I like to think of the X-Wing design as sort of an analog of The US Air Force's C-130J Super Hercules, an old design and technically outmoded in lots of ways, but it's still around because it still gets the job done. [face_peace]

And lest we forget, the X-Wing style originated in the Clone Wars.

I will say this: I don't think TFA was lazy or phoned-in per se. And I'd like to emphasize the special FX are unequivocally the best of any SW film to date. Far, far be it from me to even so much as pretend that I know better than the costume designers, digital animators, camera guys, gaffers, grips, whatever. But the story was disappointing to me, I'm just being honest. It was disappointing to me the evening I saw it, but I promised myself I would never be a jerk about it like the anti-prequel crowd. My problem is it feels like the opposite: it was too focus-grouped, the result of design by committee, and the product felt cheap and least-common-denominator and it didn't do it for me. It felt like taking an intro course when I could be teaching the class. But I don't hate TFA like people online hate the PT. I'm just bored with it, and I've said that before. And in fact, I'm a little bored talking about it. But, I don't hate it! And if I like Episode VIII, it could redeem TFA for me, I mean it! Sorry Dandelo I'm just explaining myself. No hard feelings, everybody. I'm not looking for nerd cred, nor do my irrational neurotic preferences make me feel superior (well, maybe a little, I'm only human :p ).

I'll also say I much prefer the direction the story's gone in TFA and going in the sequels to what we got with the NJO series in the old EU, which takes place in the equivalent span of time.
    Uggghhh I always hated the notion of the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion soooo much. One of the reasons I was a little glad after the canon reboot. Those books were well-written but they sucked the fun right out of SW like no other.

24. DarthAnakin96

Feb 5, 2016
    I really need the Death Star II Confrontation set AMJ lol also the next animated based one I want is either that atte or the rebel combat frigate, which comes out verrry soon and has a rebels Ahsoka figure:D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    no apology necessary Huttese :p as I always say beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)

I know a lot of people who don't like films I like, doesn't bother me :D they are only movies at the end of the day, and are movies THAT important...? not to me :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.