main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rethink Your Life: The PT Social Thread: Episode III (image/gif-heavy)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Well, I'm gonna wake up in 12 hours probably to like 10 alerts with potentially some serious business I should get to and miss some fun ****

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Ezon Pin

I keep meaning to say it, but that av looks so familiar to me. What is its source?

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Isn't it Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh? At least, that's who it reminds me of.

In other news, Darthmaul208, I've decided to buy the Silmarillion, after hearing you praise it so much. I'll also get the Children of Hurin and the Unfinished Tales, because I'm obsessed, and won't feel complete without them. :p

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The heatwave is officially over. We have rain!

[​IMG]

5. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    we're usually like two ships passing in the night, but I wanted to fly by and say: hang in there, Ezon:)@};-

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Don't be so sure

[​IMG]

:p

7. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    I feel like this is canon
    [​IMG]

8. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

(removed gif x2, language)

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Well it is the greatest book ever assembled!

Speaking of Children of Hurin, the Tolkien "club" I visit were planning on doing a read through. What we do is a weekly meet up in a chat room and talk about something specific.

We were going to start a read through of COH I think either this week or next week. Always on a Saturday but there's a general chat room as well.

Do you want a link?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    No, I'm going to save the books for when I go on holiday in a fortnight.

Have you read COH or the Unfinished Tales before?

11. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I recommended CoH to a friend just the other day.

12. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Not yet. COH is half included in the Sil, a slimmer more basic version that is. The book then goes into depth about that particular story from what I understand.

I've been meaning to read it but we've kept putting the read through off for about a year or so but this time we'll finally do it.

I understand about waiting. I've been wanting to read the Malazan series but haven't got round to ordering it.

Jedi Knight Fett, B3 and darkspine10 like this.
  13. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Yes, the tale of the Children of Húrin is part of the Silmarillion, and the published Sil does contain a more condensed version of the story. There is also a more detailed version in Unfinished Tales. The recent CoH book is Christopher Tolkien's attempt to present the tale as an independent story accessible without having to know the Silmarillion as a whole. It is the most fleshed-out and "novelistic" presentation of the story.

14. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Well, I have all 3 now, so I hope I don't get sick of the story after reading it 3 times. :p

What order would you recommend I read them then?

Jedi Knight Fett, Darthmaul208 and B3 like this.
  15. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Well, you should definitely wait to read Unfinished Tales until you have both the LOTR and the Silmarillion under your belt. Attempting it before then would just be baffling.

Now whether to read the Sil or the CoH first is an interesting question. I think either approach has its merits. I guess it depends on whether you want to read a creation myth, or more Lord of the Rings. If you're up for the creation myth, start with the Silmarillion. If you want more Lord of the Rings, start with the CoH. It would give you some grounding in the sweeping mythic world of the Silmarillion when you do get to it.

These are my recommended Middle-earth reading orders:

Hobbit > LOTR > Sil > Unfinished Tales > CoH > History of Middle-earth

OR

Hobbit > LOTR > CoH > Sil > UT > HoMe

16. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    What does the History of Middle Earth consist of?

I think I'll try Silmarillion then COH, then Tales. I've read LOTR and the Hobbit before, and I really enjoyed reading the stories of Numenor and such in the Appendices.

Jedi Knight Fett and B3 like this.
  17. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I haven't read the other two but in my opinion, Sil first, then COH then Unfinished tales.

To fully enjoy COH you probably need a background on everything that has happened in ME so far which the sil provides.

To read Unfinished Tales you need to be intimately familiar with Sil, The Hobbit and LOTR.

Jedi Knight Fett, B3 and darkspine10 like this.
  18. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Good. You're ready for the Sil then.

The HoMe is basically a chronological exploration of Tolkien's writings on Middle-earth and Aman. The first two volumes consist of the Book of Lost Tales, which is an embryonic and veerry different version of the Silmarillion written in a flowery archaic style. Fascinating, but baffling if you haven't read the Sil. Trust me, I speak from experience. :p
    The later volumes go on to show the various rewrites of the Silmarillion stories as they evolved towards their present form. It also contains supplementary things like essays on the races of elves and languages that Tolkien wrote in the years before World War II. Then there's a break in the Silmarillion material and it follows the first drafts of the Lord of the Rings. The final volumes resume with the Silmarillion material by showing the first drafts of the stories of Númenor and Tolkien's final rewrites to the Silmarillion in the 1960s. All of this is with copious notes and commentary by Christopher Tolkien, in the same vein as Unfinished Tales.

19. Carlandrea

Carlandrea Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2016
    It would probably take hours just to get through the A's

Also, that is definitely canon

20. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    Did I share this over here yet?

I will possibly never run out of Futurama dialogue until I've more or less recycled the entire series, I think. It works so well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Silmarillion is to books what ROTS is to movies

22. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Full of whiny, unlikable protagonists, loads of fake CGI, and ruins the holy, untouchable LOTR trilogy?

:p

23. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

24. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    Fëanor's turn is totally unrealistic. :p

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012