main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Retrovisions" (AU, 40 ABY, Kam/Tionne, romance/backstory/etc.)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Onderon1, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    A/N: I'm still alive ... just been busy with DRL. :p

I've been wanting to write something with these two for a very long time, now; they're critical members of the NJO, two of the most sincerely dedicated characters (and most stable couples!) whom I can remember, and geuninely good (I was infuriated at their treatment in LOTF, and they will receive much more respect in this timeline).

As to the backstory - tl, dr: assume the YV War went very differently than in Legends canon, Kylo is L/M's firstborn son, and Earth (and a LOT of other famous sci-fi worlds) are in the Unknown Regions.

And yes, Telos 4 = Telos of the Cybermen in this timeline. I went there. [face_devil]

Mild warning - this should probably be labled more "mush" than "romance," but there is a kiss on the throat. Nothing graphic, and I'm probably being silly, but I'd label this PG instead of PG-13 (or G).

Early 40 ABY: Telos Academy,
    Polar region, Telos 4,
    Kwymar Sector, Outer Rim:

Unsurprisingly, he found her with the holocrons, parsing some kind of question - he just loved to watch her.

"... no evidence of these so-called 'Cyber-men' during our tenure here. But that certainly doesn't mean my contemporaries and I found every piece of hidden lore and threat during our time. Atris tended to keep us far away from anything Jedi," said the holocron of Loremaster Brianna, one of the luminaries of the post-Sith-Civil-War era, and Tionne thanked the gatekeeper.

The bluish-white image faded, and Tionne leaned back in her seat, smiling as she looked at Kam upside-down. "Novel," she said, a smile playing around her lips.

He strode to her - kissing her throat in a way that he'd never have done were anyone else nearby - and sat beside her at the table set up in what had been Atris's inner sanctum (thoroughly cleansed of dark-side taint by hours of scrubbing and Force light exposure). "What?" Kam asked, grinning as he played along.

Tionne gave him a coquettish look which reminded Kam of their earliest courting days - which, he was happy to note, had begun long before the Vong War, almost as early as when the original 12 students had gathered at Yavin.

"The rare, prowling Jedi Master stalking in to eavesdrop on the 'saintly old lady' of the Archives," she said, her voice turning innocent.

The expression on her face was anything but innocent, and Kam let a nekkish smile cross his face, replying, "You got me."

They laughed; it was an old game of theirs, Kam reflected - one of the oldest. They both wore their masks, the stern-if-fair lightsaber dueling Master and his kind, double-viol playing bride with her deep, deep knowledge of the galaxy's history.

In private, though, the oldest and most-relied-upon of Luke's original students could let themselves be human.

And thank the Force for it, Kam thought, squeezing Tionne's free hand as she stacked the holocrons back in the table-container (the horribly absurd number of Sith holocrons which Atris had had in this chamber had long ago been destroyed or scattered; as far as Kam was concerned, the Telos Holocron itself could've been burned and he'd have applauded).

But we need to keep at least one insight into the enemy's mindset if they ever return ... or learn a new mindset, he thought.

Oh, Kam wasn't going to go gallavanting across the galaxy after the First Order. Dalia Nalju - still alive, badly injured almost 5 years earlier but making remarkable progress on her recovery on Tython with Cilghal - had advised against that instinct.

"Kylo - Kylo REN, whatever that damnable signifier means - managed to outduel me. The boy relies more on strength and rage than style, but DO NOT underestimate him. Get the Masters Skywalker and a hunting party of the Council," she'd said.

Then Luke had vanished, Mara had split the Order to save it, and Kam had been unable to part from Tionne.

The rest of the Council nderstood, at least - I think poor Mara knew the best, with Luke missing, but she couched it in her usual durasteel way. 'Our chief archivist is too valuable to leave with only a majority of other Consulars - no offense, Consulars,' Mara said, Kam reflected, wondering where Grand Mistress Skywalker was at.

They'd had ideas - there'd been a very suspiciously positive flicker from Mara about 4 years ago in the Force, which suggested Luke may have left her a little surprise - but no confirmed holocomm calls. Rey was running errands for Mara and the Resistance, while her verified younger siblings had been split up among different praxia or relatives.

(Kam personally thought splitting up the Skywalker heirs was going to cause trouble in the long run, almost as traumatic as Luke's disappearance, but some people were just never meant to be Jedi. Forcing training just resulted in angry students.)

And angry students are both unreachable and potentially disastrous, Kam thought, sighing while he recalled Kylo.

The boy had always been respectful, if a bit stand-offish - cocky, definitely. His telekinetic proficiency had come easily, while his anger at anything that wasn't entirely positive about Vader had made him difficult by the time he'd turned 16.

And then he joined the Rogues - on a probationary basis - and look how that turned out, Kam thought, shaking his head.

All the GADF had done was sharpen a blade already preparing to twist on its wielder. Serenno had proved that.

He caught Tionne watching him with her patient gaze, and kissed her hand again. "Sorry. Lost in thought," he confessed.

She always pulled him back from brooding, he realized - he'd never voluntarily return to the dark, but she helped him in more ways than he'd ever really realized, consciously. And he'd always do the same for her.

A flicker of a haunted white-robed memory scuttled in one corner, but Kam banished "Atris" - whether Force-ghost or mere shadow-musing, he wasn't sure, nor did he care.

"I forgive you. Now, come and help me with dinner. The younglings are getting fidgety again with another acid snowstorm - I'd hoped the reclamation efforts in the northern hemisphere had taken, but not as much as we'd forecast," Tionne said.

Kam rose, walking with the love of his life, just sincerely happy to be so blessed by the Force, and said, "Sure."

"It's important for the children to see their 'parents' happy and at peace ... which is never difficult with you."

brodiew and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This was so much fun to read!

I too always enjoyed Kam and Tionne and always thought they were a great couple. You've done well with them, I can feel their love through your words.
    I love how you've not only woven canon and Legends together, but added bits of other Sci-Fi in with it. It works really well and it was a lot of fun to read.

I really liked this. It's a simple idea, but a good one!

Is this going to be multi-part? I'd love to read more!

Great job!

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb insights and sweet gentle emotions between Kam/Tionne. =D=

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    Mavjade: Thank you. :) I'm really glad this worked out so well; they've had so little focus since the early NJO (which was a far more exotic place than the prequels or even the post-Vong-War era - Luke had a girlfriend of the week, there was a co-ed meditative hot-spring session in I, Jedi [face_hypnotized], and, well - Dathomir [face_laugh]).

I've not planned to make this a multi-parter; it was more of a "get the idea written before the bunny escapes," so to speak. (I'm so behind on the main story ... [face_blush]). But maybe I'll revisit it down the line. Thanks again. :D

WarmNyota: Thanks. :) I was trying to capture that sense of a couple who've been together through thick and thin, and K/T are certainly that. Kam was entrusted with running the Yavin academy more than once when Luke was off saving the galaxy, and Tionne actually earned her amazing knowledge of the galaxy (cantina folk musician-and-secret-Jedi-archivist = ^:)^

Ewok Poet and mavjade like this.
  5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello @Onderon1! I went hunting for Tionne fics and found this one. I loved he interaction between the Creche Masters as they have been favorites of mine of the NJO.
    Perfect self description by Tionne. Love it! [face_love]

I have to admit jumping into your headcanon was interesting. Clearly a blending of NuCanon and the NJO, but the history you mentioned regarding Luke's disappearance and Mara, Rey, and Kylo is hard to decipher. Is this history in other fics? [face_thinking]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  6. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    brodiew: Thanks for reading. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it - writing K/T is quite fun, most especially because they deserve (but got [face_plain]) so comparatively little "screen time."

This particular 'fic was actually a leap forward in the timeline - apologies for the unclear backstory. I've been trying to resist the temptation to bounce around in the history, but the bunny for this particular scene hopped past me, and I wanted to catch it before it escaped. :p

There will be more details shared at some point, but right now, I'm taking my time and writing things up slowly - and effectively - instead of letting things collapse like I did before. (I've tried reviving this particular AU - minus the NEU additions - before, and failed; this time, I want to succeed.)

7. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just how did this happen? I had three of your fics open to comment on later today, because I missed them back when they were posted, nobody touched any of them since July...and suddenly, it's updated. At some point I was 100% sure that I had commented last night or, I dunno, in my sleep, and that you were responding to me. :p The Universe has strange ways, all right. :D

The way Kam and Tionne are bonding in the light of the shocking turn of events for the Galaxy is intriguing, yet plausible and bringing a light to what essentially are dark, dark times. He even loves to see her dealing with the nerdy stuff that the bard-ette is known for.

And whatever has happened to Mara here was definitely NOT a good thing... :(

8. Onderon1

Mar 18, 2008
    EP: Thanks for reading! :) You're quite correct, in that the universe can definitely be odd ... :)

I've long been a fan of Kam and Tionne; their turn of events in LOTF just aggravated me to no end, and I wanted to give them something of a happy ... well, their story certainly doesn't end here, I can say that. ;)

As for Mara - her situation's not quite as dire as it might first seem? I've written far enough ahead in the timeline to have a solid idea of how this all ends ... ;)