main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of Do We Want a Message Board on Our Website?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by DonC, Mar 11, 2004.

?

Return of Do We Want a Message Board on Our Website?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2004.
  1. Yes, I want a message board on our website.

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No, I don't want a message board on our site.

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
  2. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    Okay, third time's a charm, I hope. This is fairly simple: Do we want a message board on our site. With the recent to-do, Brian says adding a message board to our site, which should be up soon, would be a simple thing to do. We are not thinking of leaving TF.N. This would basically be a place where we talked about JKOC-specifc topics.

JKOC members only please on the voting. Usual rules apply. Vote, then post your vote so only JKOC member votes are counted. If you don't feel comfortable posting your vote you can PM it to me.

Thank you.

3. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Yes I do...just as a back-up plan... :D

4. Darthvaderocks06

Darthvaderocks06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    No, the JC boards are fine.

But it would be a nice idea to have a back up plan, incase we have another TFN problem.

But if we had message boards there, some people would start only posting on one board.

I voted no.

5. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
  6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I vote "yes"

After spending time with other chapters (such as Indy Knights) I've come to learn that many chapters use it as their main form of communication...and it works out for the best.

We'd still use TFN, mostly for news and announcments, but it would be a good way of keeping people who just want to cause us problems OUT.

7. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I vote "no" unless it becomes necessary. At this point, I don't think it's necessary. We tried something similar in Boston a year ago but people kept using both sets of boards. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it difficult to keep up with message boards on several different sites at the same time.

I think this might be better decided at a later point in time once we have a chance to see what the site owner has planned for FanForce. Whether you like him or not, he's talked about giving FanForce much more control over their parts of the site. I know we're not talking about leaving FanForce here, but if we plan on moving our primary interactions elsewhere, I feel what I just said is worth considering.

Of course, with my summer being spent here in Boston and the location of grad school being uncertain (but likely even farther away from home than I am now), my involvement with this group off the boards in the future is also uncertain. I'm just saying that so you don't give my opinion as much weight as others who will be more involved with the group in the near future.

8. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    I voted no too. I don't think we really need it right now. Only in a "let's get the heck out of Hoth" situation do I think it's necessary. I'm already posting on these boards, RL, and Matrix boards. I don't need another one to check on when we have this right here. If things become problematic, sure, we can move, but I don't want to be on here and have someone talking about something then have them saying, oh, it's not on these boards, it's the OTHER JKOC boards... could cause some confusion.

9. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    Voted no and my reason is "Ditto to what starwarschick14 said". Except the stuff about Boston. ;)

10. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    I vote Yes. Our board. Our rules. No third party intervention.

11. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    A bit undecided.
    I'll vote a little later. ;)

12. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    once we have a chance to see what the site owner has planned for FanForce.
    That's why nobody is talking about leaving TFN all together. After what happened, and the unknown changes this new ownership is going to make. I think Anrev hit it right on the head...it's about Our board. Our rules.

Other chapters have a place where they can discuss things, and still use TFN to keep in contact with the Fanforce community.

13. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I voted yes, so long as the mods of the new board don't censor anything that might be considered remotely offensive (the way some mods do here at TFN).

14. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    I am like Kim at this moment.

15. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    so long as the mods of the new board don't censor anything that might be considered remotely offensive
    That's another good thing about a JKOC board, we know each other well enough to be able to moderate ourselves (to a point) And as RSA here on TFN...I typically know I can trust you guys (and rarely have to step in)

16. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    tea and crumpets! i forgot to vote on the new one... *slaps head*

uhhh... yes... seing as how we will have the ultimate control over what gets posted, how things are formatted, yadda yadda yadda...

toss that in with the fact that it is a back-up and can enabled and dis-abled on the site with about four mouse clicks...

-b-

17. Malo-ha

Malo-ha Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2003
    I'm going to hold off voting right now too. I want to see how things are going to go before I make a decision. Speaking from experience it's hard to keep posting on more than 1 board. And we can always add a board at any time.

18. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    tell your people that if something really bad happens here, at least you would have somewhere else to go already set up. - Columbus boards

They're set up isn't that far from what BMack has had in mind...might it be possible to share a message board with Columbus?

19. Anrev_the_Jedi

Anrev_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2002
    I frequent no less than 8 message boards a day. 1 more wont make a bit of difference to me.

20. Jade-Walker

Jade-Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I say yes, so that we have it as a back-up. And so that we have somewhere that we can go and discuss things if this happens again.
    But we continue as-is for the time being. ;)

21. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    After thinking it over for a while, I finally decided to go with yes. I think that having a backup would be a good idea, incase anything drastic happens. I belong to several boards, which I mostly check daily, so one more board wouldn't be a problem for me.

22. GenerationX7

GenerationX7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 2002
    I voted yes. That's all I have to say.

23. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    Only 48 hours until the polls close...so those of you with voting privledges (refer to the Fanforce Code (unless you're not sure) should take a look at the issue.

Again, nobody is proposing leaving TFN...far from it. But even those who have expressed opposition to this have stressed the need for a "backup plan" and personally...I'd rather know the escape pod works, before something goes wrong with the ship.

This Krash Krickhan...and I endorse this message ;)

24. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    This Krash Krickhan...and I endorse this message

If TF.N had an eye rolling smiley I'd be using it right now 8-}.

25. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.