main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Basher's Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Quixotic-Sith, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Just ran across this in 3SA.
    Read it in an interview with [Terence] Stamp {Chancellor Valorum}. He expressed his displeasure with working on TPM (and specifically cited an incidence where he had to film a scene with Natalie, yet she was given the day off, and he had to work with a tennis ball in her place), and said he declined the opportunity to work on AOTC.
    Interesting, no?

2. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    I dunno what he's complaining about, the tennis ball probably gave a more convincing performance than a real Natalie Portman did. 8-}

I couldn't resist. ;)

3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I dunno what he's complaining about, the tennis ball probably gave a more convincing performance than a real Natalie Portman did.

[face_laugh] I was just thinking that myself. Good one.

g

4. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Maybe he would have responded better to a pair of tennis balls? :D

Lucas: "Dammit, Terrence - that's not the eyeline. Her face is above them!"

5. SW3TheHolidaySpecial

SW3TheHolidaySpecial Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2001
    I remember YodaOfTheSith,

he wanted to be a mod real bad or something.

Say guys, see the Spider-Man 2 trailer?

Doc Ock looked great. At least 9 times better than the Goblin, I was dissapointed with the first one, it was ok, but I'm looking forward to this.

6. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Spider-Man 2?

Oh yes, it looked pretty good. I think the shots of him swinging through the city shows how far their f/x has come since the original.
    I know I recognize some of those swinging poses from various Spider-Man comics. :D

If everyone in the making of that film didn't let the success of the first one get to their head, I think Spider-Man 2 could be like X-Men 2 and garner much praise and appreciation and money.

It will be funny to see the SW fans complain about all the Spider-Man threads around here come July! 8-}

In fact, I predict there will be at least one thread, that has a post this year, that says "I didn't care for Spider-Man or the second one, TPM/AOTC (Insert one) was much better."
    ;)

7. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I think I remember YodaoftheSith too. Wasn't he an all out gusher? He liked to show pictures of his cat in the AOTC spoilers forum and always liked to say "poop" until a mod asked him to stop. I'm 99.99% sure Neary and YodaoftheSith are not the same.

[face_laugh] @ Punisher and MeBeJedi's tennis ball jokes.

So I guess Chancellor Valorum was supposed to be back in AOTC. Not that it matters. That leaves us one less boring political scene to wade through. However, we got Jimmy Smits in a turtle neck sweater instead.

As for Spiderman 2, the teaser looked nice, but Kirsten doesn't look as hot. And is Doc Ock supposed to be chubby in the comics? Alfred Molina must've just come off his Frida role and forgot to lose the pounds.

8. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    I'll offer this now... if the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin features a "whiny/awkward, teen angst" Anakin, I'll really be pissed. I'd much rather Anakin goes out as an arrogant, jealous man than a kid.
    If Anakin goes out like a little *****, I'll really hate Ep.3!

So does complaign = winey? That's the impression I get from people's complaints about this particularly caracter flaw in Luke and especially Anakin. If so, then how do you portray jealousy without comming across as winey? Personally the two seem nearly identical of not the same thing.

9. CeeJay

CeeJay Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    R2 and 3PO in the OT was justified, R2 and 3PO in the PT just comes off as contrived. The least Luca$ could have done is change their names and appearances to such a degree than in the third film when they get changed into the R2 and 3PO we know and love, there'd be some level of suprise and progression. They served little purpose in TPM and they simply were not needed at all in AOTC.

10. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Exactly right. The two droids have been superfluous in the prequels so far.

11. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Actually, I think it would have been better with either completely different droids or no droids. The story looks like it could have worked without R2-D2. It certainly could have gotten along fine without C-3PO, and any R2 unit could have repaired the Queen's ship in TPM. Lucas put the familiar droid so the audience could have a "Hey, look! It's _________! Cool!" moment. That's all TPM was, really; just a bunch of cameos by characters that do stuff later on.

12. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Blackpool
    When I mean jealousy, I mean tinged with a bit of anger as opposed to "It's not faaaiiirrr!"

In SW terms, Han, on Endor, when he thinks Leia is confiding in Luke and not him "You could tell Luke?! It that who you could tell?!", is the kind of jealousy I mean.

In Ep.3, something along the lines of the following would give what I was an impression of what I was talking about.

Anakin: So "master", you thought you could hold me back, didn't you?! You wanted to keep me under control... you can't anymore!*

Obi-Wan: Anakin! This isn't the way of a Jedi! Search your feelings! I feel the good in you, listen to the Force.

Anakin: Well, it seems your senses aren't as attuned to the Force as you thought...
    the true nature of the Force is power!

*Delivered in the right tone of voice, lines that could be "whiny", can come off with real power.

JW
    Dr. Ock has always been a bit on the hefty side, that's not inaccurate.

13. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Unless Anakin throws himself on the ground and starts kicking and screaming. :p

14. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Well, I kinda expected that in AOTC! ;)

Maybe that's how he lands in lava....
    Obi-Wan hands him his *** and Anakin throws such a spectacular hissy-fit of "chosen one" proportions that he flings himself into the lava accidentally.

Anakin: You can't beat me! That's not fair... I'm younger, taller, and have had sex. You shouldn't have been able to beat ME! I hate you! You're not like a father to me anymore! I hate you... I hate you!

Anakin begins to dramatically throw himself to the grond, but over shoots and lands in a gaping lava pit.

Hmmm.... should I put *SPOILER WARNING* before this post or not? ;)

15. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I find it ironic that real actors couldn't even work with real actors in the PT. I mean, a tennis ball for Yoda in AOTC makes sense, but using that for real people? Schedule the shoot a day they can both work, for goodness sakes!

I'm also curious what Valorum would have done in AOTC. Interesting...

Oh yes, it looked pretty good. I think the shots of him swinging through the city shows how far their f/x has come since the original.

Spidey 2 effects will be better because we have people from the Basher Sanctuary working on them :cool:

As for Spiderman 2, the teaser looked nice, but Kirsten doesn't look as hot. And is Doc Ock supposed to be chubby in the comics?

A little.

16. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    "Spidey 2 effects will be better because we have people from the Basher Sanctuary working on them."

Really? Who?

17. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Confessions of a basher:

It's been ten pages since I last logged on. I can't read them all.

But what I have read is intriguing. I must be watching the wrong channels on TV 'cause I haven't seen the Spidey 2 trailers yet. Do they show them on Showtime, Starz and HBO? I've been watching LOTR I and II and just saw ROTK. :)

I'm gonna go back and read the last ten or so pages, really I am.

18. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Binary, I think he's talking about John Dykstra. If he's talking about someone else, then spill the beans!

Doc Ock isn't really fat, it's just the spandex doesn't accentuate his big boned physique! ;)

Sami, don't worry about reading all those posts, just look for Stryphe's posts, cut 'n paste his quotes and compliment him, you'll become the premiere basher and next in line for modship.* ;)

*This comment does not mean I condone sucking up to a Mod. Actually, it wouldn't do me any good anyway. 8-}

19. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Hi Lady Sami. Here's a hi-res version of the trailer for Spidy 2:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/spider-man_2/large.html

In case you don't have broadband though, here is a medium version and a small version in case.

And for the really adventurous, there is the uber humongous Fullscreen version

I have not been happy with the way R2D2 and C3PO have been used in the prequels thus far. R2D2 hasn't been too bad (the rocket boosters seem like typical prequel overkill though), but C3PO has been diminished into a sort of clown, but this time the puns are bad. Thankfully, we'll get a proper introduction to this character in ANH. I'll just believe that C3PO accidentally had the mind of Rodney Dangerfield in the prequels and suddenly got a smarter "brain" in ANH. Yeah, that's it.

20. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    Another Brilliant move by LUCASFILM....

Not sure if this is really a spoilier or not but for those who don't know, Darth Vader BARELY has any screen time in Episode 3. I'm talking about 3 minutes maybe at MAX. But the genuises at Lucasfilm are promoting Episode 3 with Darth Vader all over the teaser trailer, posters and merchandise.

So pretty much anyone who goes into Episode 3 will think the whole movie is about Darth Vader and will be sorely disappointed when he is barely in the film.

Brilliant.

21. Punisher

Oct 20, 1998
    Eh, why not plaster Vader on everything, it worked for Darth Maul. ;)

Now, more than ever is the title I posted in 3SA, relevant...
    Star Wars: Episode 3: Vader is in the last 5 minutes. Download the footage from Kazaa and save yourself some time and money.

You realize that Vader will get 3 to 5 minutes, but Jar Jar's role will increase, don't you? [face_mischief]

22. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    I found some pics of Doc Ock for comparison:

[image=http://www.movie-list.com/s/spider-man2.jpg]
    Movie version

[image=http://www.spidervillain.com/Villains/DocOct/DocOctASM157.gif] [image=http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/file_photo/doctor_octopus1.jpg] [image=http://www.alaph.com/spiderman/pictures/enemies/doc_ock/doc_ock03.jpg]
    Comic version

[image=http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~bryant/reilly/pictures/gallery/newdrock.gif]
    Huh? Why is Doc Ock a woman now? What's the story Punisher? :confused: [face_laugh]

But you're right, Doctor Octopus in the comic book version has some "heft" on him, so they got it pretty right in regards to the movie version.

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Yet another bad guy to be shown and killed within the same film. Too bad for comic-book superhero films.

At least Superman got it right - 3 times, in fact. ;) It wasn't 'til the third film that Batman figured this out.

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    JohnWilliams00,

Thanks for the trailer. I have to download the upgraded player to watch it, tho. I'll have to do that this weekend. :)

Darth Vader in the suit will be in Ep. 3 for five minutes. Hope that's not a spoiler. :)

PM me for details.

Would like to stay and bash some more, but I have to get up early to go to work tomorrow.

My top five movies of 2003: (Had to EDIT 'cause I had a brain whoops)

1. ROTK
    2. ROTK
    3. X-Men 2
    4. Matrix Reloaded (Haven't seen "Revolutions" yet) Sorry, VCT!
    5. POTC

As for academy awards for best F/X, for those of you who are upset that certain movies were not nominated or didn't win, consider this: The movie that won for best F/X in 1968 was something called "Ice Station Zebra" which I happened to catch on AMC not too long ago (As Lady Sami is an Ent, you know that was quite a while ago).

If you want to see how far F/X has come, and why SW won in 1976, watch this movie. The plot is exciting enough for a viewing, IMHO.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Wasn't that the movie with David Soul, a la "Starsky and Hutch"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.