main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Basher's Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Quixotic-Sith, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "she's dead meat too."

Why does the film "Hot Shots" come to mind? :D

2. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Happy New Year everyone! And congratulations on becoming a mod, Stryphe. Though I'd rather be a classic trilogy mod than a TPM one [face_mischief]

Wow, I haven't bashed TPM all year, so I have to give in to the light side.

It's 2004, it's the five year anniversary of TPM, and it still blows the mother of all goats.

With that said, I have found the perfect cure for an otherwise boring Christmas vacation; sitting lazily in the couch all day watching the EEs of the two first LOTR movies.
    Since the films were released at this time of the year, they carry with them a special Christmassy feeling, so I think I'll make it a tradition to watch all three one day in Christmas every year from now, in addition to the already established tradition of reading "A Game of Thrones" every Christmas.

Watching the bonus material on the INDY DVD as well, I couldn't help but laugh whenever George Lucas claimed this or that. Like when he had told Spielberg he had three specific stories in mind.

Spielberg confirms in the interview that George had nothing.

Like now.

3. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
  4. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    "she's dead meat too."

"Why does the film "Hot Shots" come to mind?"

HAHAHA I thought NOBODY would notice that. MeBeJedi gets a good cookie. =)

5. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Punisher, thanks for the background on that Spiderman/female Doc Ock thing. That whole Clone idea really did sound like a bad idea, and I'm not surprised it angered so many people. But then, we should be used to bad ideas and "Clones" in the same sentence...hint hint. ;) [face_laugh]

LiquidRusho, you must've been a very perceptive viewer then. In my first viewing of ANH, I had no idea Beru and Owen would buy the moisture farm so quickly (*rimshot*) but then, in my first viewing of Star Wars, I didn't even know all the character names. I didn't even know Luke and Leia were brother and sister whereas I knew of many friends who were keen on that fact without even watching SW. I think the only major thing I knew, which every human being on the planet knows, is the Vader-is-Luke's-father thing. Still, I think that was a perfect way for me to experience SW for the first time -- not knowing much going in and letting it surprise and wash over me in its own brilliant way. For instance, I was very surprised, yet strangely pleased, to see that bloody severed arm in the Cantina. (I smiled to myself and said "Oh, cool.") From that moment, I knew, it was love at first sight with this movie. (Actually, the love affair began with the opening shot of the Star Destroyer flying overhead.)

Quix: Chicken Run had more of a concrete menace. At least in the kid's claymation movie we see an actual death (in shadow) to give the motivation of the protagonists some gravitas.

Good example. I remember that moment you speak of. I loved Chicken Run and all of the Wallace and Gromit shorts. James and the Giant Peach was another great one. There's still something about stop-motion animation movies that have that certain charm to them that can't be duplicated in another way. I would not want to see some of these movies turned into CG-versions, for instance. Also, regarding Chicken Run, I will also go so far to say that I seriously liked the romance between Rocky and Ginger in Chicken Run more than the romance of Anakin and Padme in AOTC. And the conveyor belt scene was better. [face_laugh]

6. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    MIXED VEGETABLES!?!

7. oLiquidRusho

oLiquidRusho Jedi Master star 2

May 8, 2002
    "LiquidRusho, you must've been a very perceptive viewer then. In my first viewing of ANH, I had no idea Beru and Owen would buy the moisture farm so quickly (*rimshot*) but then, in my first viewing of Star Wars, I didn't even know all the character names. I didn't even know Luke and Leia were brother and sister whereas I knew of many friends who were keen on that fact without even watching SW. I think the only major thing I knew, which every human being on the planet knows, is the Vader-is-Luke's-father thing. Still, I think that was a perfect way for me to experience SW for the first time -- not knowing much going in and letting it surprise and wash over me in its own brilliant way. For instance, I was very surprised, yet strangely pleased, to see that bloody severed arm in the Cantina. (I smiled to myself and said "Oh, cool.") From that moment, I knew, it was love at first sight with this movie. (Actually, the love affair began with the opening shot of the Star Destroyer flying overhead.)"

Well to clarify things, perhaps as a kid I wouldn't have expected them to die. I actually only started watching SW when I was 19. By then I was already familiar with how stories set up and what not. You know how english class teaches you all the ways to write a story and stuff.

To be honest, as embarrassing and probably unbelievable as this sounds, I was shocked Vader was Luke's father. I knew that there was a father figure for Luke somewhere in the Star Wars trilogy, but really I had not paid attention to SW at all when I was a kid that I didn't even know it was Vader. That was the huge loop for me. BUT BEFORE people jump on my throat!!! let me explain. I hated sci fi flicks. I was one of those kids who thought "he was too cool" for stuff like that. You know that arrogant stupid kinda attitude. So yeah . . . . I guess you could say I lived under the rock. But I don't think so. I just didn't pay attention to those movies in general, 'till I finally saw them in 1999.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    ...The end has come.

Well, you guys, we all now that when Binary set out to start this thread, one day it would come to an end. Return of the Basher Sanctuary is the final chapter in a series of threads that allowed bashers to voice their opinions freely and openly, proving that bashers are fans, too, and that we can all get along despite our differences. We had fun times. Now we've reached the end and it's time for us to say farewell.

But wait - every legendary thread has it's beginning.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.