main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Basher's Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Quixotic-Sith, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    The Next Level of Bashing...so much pressure to make a good post!

Whats up everyone? This Sanctuary looks just as good as the original. Keep up the great discussion.

Oh yeah and TPM was terrible.

2. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Wow, so many great posts in such a short time!

Patrick Russell,

You'd better let me read that fan fic! I promise I won't nitpick it too much!

If you need help with editing, let me know. I have a BA in creative writing. :)

Lady Sami, celebrating 26 years of SW fandom and a second year of bashing the PT

3. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    The unfortunate thing is, in order to maintain the quality of posts, I'll end up having to watch the PT again and take notes.

Thanks a lot people. This wasn't supposed to be work! :mad:

BTW, we keep going like this, I'm afraid we'll run out of things to bash.

Oh, to add to the Anakin discussion, Lucas could have Shmi killed while he was a child and used that in some way to sell the "I will even find a way to stop people from dying" line.
    Instead, Anakin looks like some dork that doesn't realize that people die even after witnessing Qui-Gon's funeral.
    Sorry Anifans, but he looks like an idiot.

The only equivalent I could think of would be Luke having a hissy fit after Yoda passed away... "Why did my master have to die!? WHY?"

Actually, we might not run out of things to bash. ;)

4. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    In the last 24 hours I've seen a movie that I liked more than the PT and a movie that I liked less:

Last night I finally saw Blade Runner. Ugh. Not my cup of tea at all. I don't get what other people see in it. I was very bored throughout.

This morning I saw Pirates of the Caribbean. It was easily the best film I've seen in 2003. A lot of fun, and Johnny Depp steals the show. For those of you who have been to Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride: watch closely for several elements of the ride that make it into the movie.

5. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Binary,

To appreciate 'Blade Runner,' you have to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep," by Phillip K. Dick.

I thought it was an awesome movie, altho a little too gory for my taste. At least they toned down the scene in the CEO's apartment where Roy Blatty pushes in his eyes.

Ugh!

Sorry you didn't like it, it's not for everyone.

Lady Sami

6. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I thought Blade Runner was fun. I didn't expect a lot from it the first time I saw it, though, at least not in terms of being a "blockbuster" type movie. I have, however, read plenty of P.K. Dick, though, so that definitely helps appreciation-wise.

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "To appreciate 'Blade Runner,' you have to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep," by Phillip K. Dick."

Ooh, sorry Sami. I thank God that Blade Runner just "touched on" key concepts, rather than emuiated the novel itself.

A very boring read, indeed. :(

8. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I'm a big fan of "Blade Runner" - and that is without reading any P. Dick writings. I don't think its necessary to have read the story it was based in to "get the film". (Don't worry, I realize you weren't intending that)

But it is certainly a strange film, and not to everyones taste.

I would argue that it is perhaps the essence of a "Style over Substance". Why? Because it is the atmosphere (look/feel) of the film that I love most - and Vangelis score of course.

In that way I suppose all SW movies as well are "Style over Substance". The plot is simple and without much depth, but Lucas (in the OT) managed to create such a cool but "real" universe for us to get lost in. TPM and AOTC are also such films, but they don't generate the same kind of response for me.

9. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    :eek:

You don't like Blade Runner, Binary? That's it! You've just made my list. :mad:

And this is my first post in this thread. Ooooh etc.

10. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I agree Binary. I never liked Blade Runner much myself. I find it boring as hell and I am aware of the deeper meanings too. The film helped me ace Year 12 English. But deep doesn't make enjoyable all the time. Sorry Oakessteve.

I am looking forward to the Pirates of the Carribean. It is also one of the few rides I remember from Disney World when I went as a child.

EDIT: On a related matter, I found the sets in Blade Runner to feel much more real than the sets in the PT. The futuristic city is miles more real than Corusant.

11. Darth_Sillyname

Darth_Sillyname Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I liked Blade Runner.

It's funny that Patrick had that idea for Episode 1 (slaves, jedi, clones on Tatooine, etc).
    When I first saw pictures and read a few spoilers for TPM I thought it might be like that.

I also considered it for my own rewrite, but I decided to do something else.

When I wrote my Ep1 rewrite it all turned out to be a bit too much for one script, so I broke it up in two parts and made up some extra stuff to put in there.
    I could have taken the time to fit it all in one script, but I couldn't be bothered to start all over again ;)
    I guess it would have looked more like the real TPM if I had done that, only with cooler characters ;)

Anyway, I've finished Episodes 4, 5 and 6 of my 12 part Rewrite Saga, and they're online now:
    You shall click HERE. It is your DESTINY!!.

Originally I had different ideas, but now that my TPM rewrite is 2 scripts, I had to renumber my AOTC rewrite from Ep5 to Ep6....
    Aarch!

So now I have finished Episode 4: The Impending Doom, Episode 5: The Evil Unleashed, and Episode 6: Mystery Of The Clones.
    I'm working on my Ep3 fanscript (which would be my episode 7) now...

If you're interested, read them, and if you have the time...correct any spellling and grammar errors ;)

12. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Oakessteve, sorry about Blade Runner. ;)

I agree, hawk, that the city in Blade Runner is far more real than Coruscant.

Regarding Pirates of the Caribbean: I can't believe how much Keira Knightley reminds me of Natalie Portman! It was so distracting that a couple of times during the movie I was yanked out of the days of pirates and dropped into AOTC. It wasn't only me, either. Without my mentioning it to her, my wife whispered in my ear, "She looks like Natalie Portman!"

Darth Sillyname, I am in awe that you have managed to write all those scripts! It took me forever just to write a two-page scene.

13. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    That's probably why she was cast as the decoy queen in TPM.

14. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Looks like I need to get off my ass and stop just jotting down notes in preparation for my PT rewrite and just start writing it...

15. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    Speaking of POTC - Does it not contain perhaps the best "rogue/scoundrel" hero character since Han Solo in the OT?

An element that definately is missing from the PT...

16. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Wow, I didn't realize that Keira Knightley was the decoy queen. Makes sense...

Darth Euro asked: 'Speaking of POTC - Does it not contain perhaps the best "rogue/scoundrel" hero character since Han Solo in the OT?'

Yes, indeed. Pirates of the Caribbean was loads of fun, including the rogue/hero you mentioned. What a character!

17. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Oh, Lady Sami like being one of few who like Blade Runner! It's like my icon, one of a kind!

Reading the novel helps a little with understanding the movie better. One critic complained that Harrison Ford just looked numb, in comparison with Rutger Hauer's 'Shakespearian' performance, which was quite good, I might add. But, if you read the novel, you will find that everyone is trying to get off Earth, hence the frantic scramble to make off-world worlds habitable, which is where the 'clones' come in, as the Earth people are dying slowly of radiation poisoning and have little feelings left.

In fact, they must use 'mood organs' to experience any feelings at all, other than depression.

And Decker has an electric sheep on the roof, his 'pet.'

Yes, the 'futuristic' city did look real. It's mainly a very grungy Los Angeles, with a few fancy sets thrown in.

Oh, yeah, how to bash TPM and tie it in with Blade Runner. The acting in TPM never quite reached the heights of Rutger Hauer's in Blade Runner.

On POTC, no spoilers, please! I haven't seen it yet!

Lady Sami

18. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I've never liked Blade Runner either, I think the only reason that movie is remembered today is because Harrison Ford is in it. If I remember correctly, when it came out it flopped big time. To me it's kind of Harrison Ford's Battlefield Earth.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Bladerunner is such a beautiful film. Ridley Scott is some sort of alchemist, the things he does with light and color in his movies are amazing, especially in Bladerunner.
    When I first saw it I didn't really understand the plot, but it's so intoxicating to watch, the world he creates is so 'real', the production design is so dense, it's one of those films that really transports you to another place which is completely convincing.
    And those performances are so unusual.
    And that music........oh!

It actually inspired me to write my first piece of fan-fiction, it was a SW/Bladerunner slash story called
    "Do Power Droids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

that got mixed reviews too. ;)

g

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    gezvader8,

I'd like to read it sometime!

And Blade Runner didn't flop at the movie theaters! It was nowhere near as bad as Battlefield Earth!

Lady Sami

21. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    Guys,I think I'm making progress.A few weeks ago I could only watch the first 10 minutes of ANH,but now I can watch 16 minutes.I'm making huge strides.

ESB,is the one that I'm experiencing the most success with.It's the only one that I can bare to watch for 30 minutes(of course I fast-forward through the first 30 minutes in fear of slipping into a deep coma).The duel is still my second favorite and it tends to act as my alarm clock,when I begin to doze off.

ROTJ,is the only movie that I've slightly regresed a bit with.Instead of just being able to watch the end battle and the battle by the sarloc pit,I can only watch the end battle now.It's sad that my tolerence level for that movie has plummeted(more so)because as a child it was my favorite SW movie.

Oh well,I'll report back here later,if I make some more progress(which isn't likely).

22. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    George15,

What's making it so hard to watch? Maybe I can help. ;)

You gotta remember, its budget was only $10 million. That wouldn't even get one star to sign today, when their salaries are like $20 million, except for that one guy who only charges $5 million. His first name is Adam and he was in the first Jack Ryan movie, Red October.

Lady Sami

23. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Amusing. [face_plain]

Why do you even bother, if it's so painful? ?[face_plain]

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    MeBeJedi,

Hi! I'm tired, so don't ask me to think! I've been having fun at the DLC.

You let George15 be. Maybe we can get him to like the OT! Or at least tolerate it.

Lady Sami

25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Okay Lady-Sami-

Who is your photo icon?

g

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.