main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Basher's Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Quixotic-Sith, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    gezvader8,

She's Senator Lexi Dio, who appears briefly, like for a nanosecond, in the scene in Yoda's office (?) when they are watching/discussing Obi-Wan's transmission from Kamino about the clones.

It's so short, you may have to pause your VCR or DVD player to see it. The cameras are panning around the room and she is standing next to JarJar. Ouch. ;)

Lady Sami

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    i guess i'm a basher as TPM was the first SW film i saw and i wasn't moved by it like when im saw only snippets of the OT

while i thin TPM has some good elements in it, the battle for naboo is so cheesy!

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Katana,

Oh, you sound like a moderate basher. What else don't you like about TPM?

Have you had the opportunity to watch the OT in its entirety?

Lady Sami

4. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    yes, after that i watched AOTC then the OT, Empire is my favourite of them all

TPM was a lot of flashy specail effects, if you changed only several simple aspects of the film, you could call it something other than SW

i guess i'm a moderate basher, but have you read Using the Force yet?

5. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Katana,

No, I haven't had the pleasure. I'm reading House Harkonnen right now. I'm into a lot more scifi stuff than just Star Wars.

ESB is my favorite of the SW films.

Lady Sami

6. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    i have to go now, it was nice talking to you

MTFBWY

7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Bye! Come back soon! And the force is with us, always!

Lady Sami

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Lady Sami

"I'm reading House Harkonnen right now. I'm into a lot more scifi stuff than just Star Wars. "

House Atreides was better. It kinda levels off after that. I'm reading the second prequel/trilogy now, "The Butlerian Jihad". It's pretty cool (but a tad slow) so far. ;)

9. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    MeBeJedi,

I read House Atriedes first, then House Corrino. You know me, gotta do it in the wrong order!

I'm sorta disappointed in them, tho. I find them far too gory.

Lady Sami

10. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    George15, you are one of the only posters in the entire JC that comes here and bashes the OT. I believe it is your way of "getting even" because we bash the prequel movies that you like.

Chémus likes this.
  11. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    "George15, you are one of the only posters in the entire JC that comes here and bashes the OT. I believe it is your way of getting even because we bash the prequel movies that you like."

[face_laugh]

Quittarjedi,I think the concept of someone bashing the OT is a hard one for you to grasp,so you resort to accusing the perpetrator of such a post(me)of having some ulterior motive,when in actuallity that person(me)is only expressing his true feelings for a group of movies that he has become disenchanted with.

So I assure you this isn't apart of some plot to get revenge(Darth Maul and I havn't even begun conceptualizing a plan yet 8-})
    This is the only forum to date where I can vent about my OT frustrations.I'm just a basher like you,except I'm a different breed if you will.

But like I said,I'm starting to make progress,so there's hope for me yet. :)

12. Wampa_Joe

Wampa_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    Kids today... back in my day, we didn't have all this fancy CGI stuff. We had to walk five miles in the snow (barefoot!) to watch a Star Wars film filled with matte paintings and models, and we liked it!

Seriously, if you have that many greivances with the original trilogy, I'm not so sure you'll get much sympathies in The Phantom Menace Basher's Sanctuary. Perhaps something similar should be made for the Original Trilogy forums, although I don't know how it would go over. Even the majority of the most die-hard prequel gushers will agree that the originals are superior.

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    hey, i'm back

14. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    George15, you're right it IS hard for me to grasp how someone could refuse to acknowledge the brilliance of those 3 masterpieces.

15. hoth-nudist

hoth-nudist Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    Watched "Pirates of the caribean" the other night. Very good movie! Keira Knightly was so HOT!! She must have taken some acting lessons since TPM. Her performance in POTC was a far cry from the monotone robotic voiced performance she gave as Queen Amidala's decoy(sorbe' flambe'?) in TPM. She also looks different without all that queen clown makeup she wore in TPM.
    I also watched ANH recently. I absolutely LOVE the passion/intensity of acting demonstrated by the rebel pilots. Their performances grabbed my interest from the start.

Porkins: "Ive got a problem here"
    Biggs: "Eject!"
    Porkins: "I can hold it"
    Biggs: "Pull up!"
    Porkins as ship explodes: "No Im alright aaaaaaa!!"

I love the intensity of that part. The actors did their job well as well as the other actors especially during the trench run.

Now in TPM we get:
    Ric obvious: "Fighters straight ahead"

Pilot 1 in robotic/monotone voice: "Roger Bravo leader"

Pilot 2 same manner: "Roger bravo leader"

then later on after Fanny Annie strategically shoots the reactor.

Ric obvious: "We didnt hit it!?"

What a ridiculous contrast.

16. RogueSith

RogueSith Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2001
    hmm... *sniff*... new thread smell...

17. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Back to Superman again: The love story in Superman is way more convincing than the one in the SW PT. The sets by John Barry (production designer for the original Star Wars) are way way more convincing, more imaginative and overall better than the PT ones. No CGI either. The script is better too.

18. George15

Jan 4, 2002
    "No CGI either."

Well I doubt that they had cgi in the 70's,but if they did I'm positive they would've exploited it.

I agree about Superman being a great movie by the way.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Hi Katana -

Yes I've read "Using the Force" it was interesting to read, it had a different angle than any other SW book I've read, but it was a bit 'dry', a bit like a college thesis, which I think it was originally.

A book I will recommend is :
    A Galaxy Not So Far Away
    Edited by Glenn Kenny.

It's a collection of articles by different authors/journalists about how SW affected them personally. It's not gushy stuff, each one tells a tale about what they were like when they saw the movies and what was going on in their lives. But they're not all rosey nostalgia, a lot of it's very sharp witted. It's a great read and just about every piece had something which resonated with me.
    Most of the articles are about the OT, and one about the Holiday Special which is terrific, and even one about TPM.

Has anyone else read this?

Lady Sami, MeBeJedi,
    I read the first Dune book years ago, it was a struggle I must admit, it's so difficult to sympathise with anyone, even the 'heroes' seemed pretty cold.
    What are the sequels like? How many are there?

"Fanny Annie" [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Hoth Nudist - good contrast, that space battle in TPM is a real bore.

g

20. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    George15,

Read the first post of this thread. You have every right to post negative comments of the OT here but it is rude to do so definately. But continue if you have to I suppose. I don't think you are trying to be rude but it is when you know the posters of this particular thread operate under the assumption that we all enjoy the OT and dislike the PT.

21. George15

Jan 4, 2002
    Speaking of space fights,I have a bone to pick with the one in ANH.When Vader finally acquires a clear shot at Luke he just pauses for 5 to 6 seconds and then Han intervines and you know the rest of the story.We know that Luke is going to live,so there is no suspense,thus making the wait dull and undramatic.

That reminds me of my least favorite OT line "I knew there was more to you than money."I just cringe every time I hear that line along with Padme's line "I've been dying a little bit each day since you've come back into my life."Not only is it cringe worthy but it's not even accurate.

22. 103728103

103728103 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2003
    I'm with you too

I just hope I'll be worthy.

23. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Not that you didn't see my post but I do remind you that your posts are rude considering this thread is a PT bashing thread George15. But ignore my post and continue to troll. You don't see one person her bashin in the DF.

24. George15

Jan 4, 2002
    "I do remind you that your posts are rude"

And my silence was suppost to indicate my indifference.Obviously it failed.

"But ignore my post and continue to troll."

If that's how you want to define my contributions here then fine.So be it Hawk Eye(credits roll and M.A.S.H. theme song plays as all of our pictures from this episode subsequently appear on the screen.)

25. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    (All together now...)

"Frank Burns eats worms!"

;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.