Return of the Defenders of the A&P Love Story (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthBreezy, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I love Andrew. :) One of my fave moments was when he was going on about how he might have "redemptive powers" like "Vader at the end of 'Jedi'".

I also liked:

"That boy was our last hope."
    "No, there is another."
    "Really?"
    "No, I was just playing along."

Gotta love Buffy. I think GL's daughters are huge Buffy fans. I read somewhere that James Marsters tried out for Anakin. He obviously didn't get it, but gave GL's daughter an autograph.

But yeah, when Andrew was around, there was at least one SW reference per episode. My favorite?

"The fact is that Darth Rosenberg's coming to turn us into Jawa burgers, and not one of us has the midichlorians to stop her."

(I think the next line is actually my signature.)
  2. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    OH MAN stacysatrip !!!! I'M CRACKING UP SO HARD I CAN'T STOP!!!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

(my 3 year old is cracking up too because he hears me and keeps saying "What's so funny, mommy?" It's a pity he can't understand ;) )

Wow!!! I had forgotten that last one too!!! Oh, I have tears in my eyes!!! :_|

Must watch that episode again....

-AnakinsLuv

p.s. jawa burgers.... [face_laugh] LOL LOL LOL!!!
  3. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ohhh, yeah, that last line of Andrew's, re: Dark Willow....too, *too* funny - and even despite the seriousness of that episode otherwise, I was still fairly rolling around, hootin' with laughter at that point....I like to think that stuff like that is thrown into the episodes as a sort of sly nod-and-wink to us all....I always feel it was done very affectionately, too. :) That's very cool about James Marsters and GL's daughters, though....the guy really is a cutie, and *so* nice besides. Hmmm....he'd have probably made a neato bounty hunter or some such thing, actually, now that I ponder it....I mean, with his eyebrow scar and all - it could very well have worked for him.... *musing* 'Course, he could also make one bad you-know-what of a Jedi, too, I'm quite sure....gotta say that I'm rather tickled by the notion as well. :D

Oh, and of course....one can't forget this particularly hilarious remark of Xander's: "Buffy, this is all about fear. It's understandable, but you can't let it control you. 'Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to anger.' No wait, hold on. 'Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to the Dark Side.' Hold on, no, umm... 'First you get the women, then you get the money, then you...' Okay, can we forget that?"

*giggle*

Dawn.
  4. qingauk Jedi Master

star 4
    Gee I guess I missed a lot of fun stuff! I have never watched that program.
    I do not watch much network tv anyway as most of it is so ridiculous.

I hope to tape Ewan tomorrow night on Leno. I have been so busy with school work it is crazy. It is getting time to retire.
  5. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I've never been a Buffy fan either. I think that mostly comes from the fact that I don't like Sarah Michelle Geller.

Oh well.

New post up in CA today - word of warning - things are about to go insane!
  6. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    OOO!! Ewan on Leno? Yay!! :D
    Is that tonight...Monday or tomorrow night... Tuesday? I think I just confused myself... :confused:

Spike as a Jedi!!! Nnnnniiiiiicccceeeee! He, of course, would have to be on the dark side [face_devil]

Man, you gals are coming up with some great quotes from Andrew and Xander....there are so many and I can't even cough up one. :p

qingauk - I know what you mean about network t.v. After Buffy and Angel and Friends had their series finalies there is nothing to watch now except Alias, IMHO. :) (and we have to wait until January for that one to start again [face_frustrated] )

Actually the other one I LOVE is Queer Eye for the Straight Guy!!! Although, I haven't been watching as much lately because of moving...I just forget in the midst of all the rest of the stuff I have to do. But oh man, I love that show!!! Carson is so great with the one-liners!!! ( I also just discovered the British Queer Eye...10 times funnier because hey, it's gay guys with British accents....even better. I LOVE gay men, btw....they make THE BEST friends ever!!! They know more about being feminine than I do....and I consider myself very "girly" :* !! Not that all of them act feminine by any means...some of them can be very manly too...it's just, well, you women probably know what I mean....)

So....anyone got any more Buffy/SW lines? [face_mischief]

PLJ -- Holy Crap!! What's CA stand for? :eek:

7. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Stryphe

If it's general comments about general topics, like fandom, is it okay then? I understand what can happen when specific people or groups are targeted, but if we are having a thoughtful (goes with saying) conversation about aspects of the Saga, which would include general fan reactions, there shouldn't be anything wrong with that, right?

Hmm? Oh, sure that's fine, as long as it's in a generic, non-disparaging way (and somehow appropriate to the topic of the thread). Or, if it's about a friend and is in a positive light (and again, somehow appropriate to the topic of the thread).

The "films/fan" rule is really there to prevent the following situation:
    1) User X talks about User Y in a disparaging way.
    2) User X talks about people posting in thread X in a disparaging way.
    3) Or, on a broader (and more common) scale, group of fans talk about another group of fans (with an opposing viewpoint) in a disparaging way -- like EU fans bashing purists, or bashers talking down about gushers, or visa versa (and any such combination of). 1, 2 and 3 always lead to fights, and fights lead to flaming. It's the path to the dark side, ya know ;)
  8. MissPadme Jedi Master

star 4
    jediES--I have no idea about any influence Emerson had on Joseph Campbell. Have you tried checking out any Campbell bios?

I have to agree that you can definitely see elements of both Anakin and Padmé in Luke and Leia; somehow they got all of the good qualities that check the potentially troublesome ones! Being a little bit older than some of you when these movies came out, my thoughts after ROTJ were along the lines of, "Wow, like who had sex with Darth Vader? That's freaky!" Of course we know now he didn't always look that ;).

Never got into BTVS. There was a long interview with its old writing staff in the Insider a year or so ago, talking about all of the SW references they put into their scripts.

--MissPadme
  9. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *happily roaming around searching for more Buffy/Angel SW references* I think we've already got some o' the best ones....at least those that I can most immediately, readily recall....but of course, if ever there was fertile ground for it, it would surely be anything by Joss Whedon in general (for he, too, is truly Da Man!) - and, I'm thinking, anything involving the Geek Trio in particular. ;) At least, if what we've already seen holds true, that surely does seem to be the case.... *goes hunting*

Dawn.
  10. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    Wow, like who had sex with Darth Vader? That's freaky!" Of course we know now he didn't always look that .

[face_laugh] .... I love that!!

-AnakinsLuv
  11. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    Willow: Use the Force, Luke
    Xander: Do I even have to dignify that with a response?

(They were playing a "guess the movie quote" game).

Andrew: I'm bored. Episode One bored.

Xander: I will pay you to talk about Star Wars again.
    Xander: Say the name Skywalker and I'll smack you.

Cordelia (on Angel): You're our only hope now, Obi-Wan.

Xander: (to Oz) Sensing a disturbance in the Force, master?

Spike: You were my sire, man! You were my Yoda!
  12. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *chuckling* And I've just come across a page with an absolute *wealth* of Buffy SW references....so, you know, to keep the general amusement going....

There's the scene in "Smashed" where Spike goes to visit the Geek Trio, to get them to figure out why the chip implanted in his head doesn't shock him whenever he hits Buffy, which it normally used to (before she died)....and when they appear a little loath to cooperate with him, he decides to use a certain bounty hunter bargaining chip:

Spike: "Examine my chip, or else Mister..." (looks at label on figure) "...Fett here is the first to die."

Andrew: "That's a limited-edition 1979 mint-condition Boba Fett!"

Warren: "You don't want to hurt the Fett, 'cause man, you're not coming back from that. You know, you don't do that and walk away."

Dawn.
  13. RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    [face_laugh]

I can't get enough of those Buffy quotes. That was such an amazing show... I haven't had a show to be obessesed over since. Well now I'm way getting into "Lost" (actually they share some of the same writers). :p

Andrew was the greatest fanboy ever. And I felt like the biggest geek because I got all his references... haha, but in a good way. Though everyone dropped the SW references. The writing was so brilliant... intelligent, funny and real... all in the midst of vampires and demons.

I know each of us, on occasion, realize just how awesome this A/P sanctuary is. I got into a huge, upsetting argument in Saga about whether or not Anakin's ghost should be Hayden or Shaw. I pretty much got called stupid for my beliefs. Sometimes you just need a whole lot of people who understand and agree with you. :D
  14. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And just one more here, before I should really be gettin' myself some dinner....mmm, dinner....

Andrew: "OK, I know what you're thinking. Andrew, bad guy. You think I'm a super-villain like Dr. Doom or Apocalypse or - or The Riddler. But I admit I went over to the Dark Side, but just to pick up a few things, a-and now I'm back. I've learned. I'm good again."

Buffy: "And when were you good before?"

Andrew: "OK, technically, never. Touche. But I'm like Vader in the last 5 minutes of 'Jedi' with redemptive powers minus a redemptive struggle of epic redemption which chronicles... These ropes itch."

Dawn.
  15. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *warmly, happily hugs Rebelscum* And that, sweetie, is why you're here....why we're *all* here, in fact....because this is *our* sanctuary, our sanctum sanctorum that we've carved out here on the boards....and we always know that if we need to be around those of like mind and heart, other folks who *will* understand, sympathize, and agree - then we always have *here*....we always have the Defenders, brave, loyal, strong, passionate, fierce and true. We always have this, and we have each other....and it shall forever be so! We all know what it's like to be fightin' the good fight, just as Anakin and Padme do....we all know what it is, to bravely, determinedly step up so, when it's something that we so deeply care about....we *all* do it. And that, in my purview, truly makes us the very best! :D No better bunch of folks in this galaxy or any other.... *glad, supportive hugs all around*

Dawn.
  16. Arriss Force Ghost

star 4
    Trying to catch up, as usual. :p

After ROTJ I always wondered about Anakin. What was he like? Why did he turn? How could he turn from his kids? What was his relationship w/his wife like? How did Padmé die? Etc, etc?

So mannny questions.

The PT has given me a chance to see how and what happened in the only way it should be done ? by GL.

It?s his story and will always be. I really can?t thank him enough for making the PT (and bringing us our gorgeous couple)!! =P~ = Hayden!

I know ROTS will be very emotional for me but I?m going to savor every moment ? both good and bad (as in the fall of Anakin :_| ).

darththunderbird ? Arris: Noun. Buttocks, 'arse'. Convoluted Cockney rhyming slang for 'arse'; Ariss, an abbvreviation of Aristotle, rhyming with bottle, and thereafter leading to bottle and glass rhyming with 'arse'. Also aris.

[face_laugh] I?m sure my sister would find that funny too. My name is a tribute to her ? she passed away in ?96?. [face_love]

AnakinsLuv ? :D And thanks! :D

The_Nameless_One ? He also, when he was a bit older, used to talk the whole time in his "Yoda voice", which was actually quite a good impression for a small kid - he even got into character so much that he cried, still in his Yoda voice, when a balloon of his burst

Ohh, that?s so sad. Poor little guy.

Aww, Stacy here ya go [:D]

RS ? I know each of us, on occasion, realize just how awesome this A/P sanctuary is. I got into a huge, upsetting argument in Saga about whether or not Anakin's ghost should be Hayden or Shaw. I pretty much got called stupid for my beliefs. Sometimes you just need a whole lot of people who understand and agree with you.

I agree w/you and Dawn. [:D] And Dawn, I [face_love] that last line in your signature!! :cool:
  17. jedi-ES Jedi Master

star 4
    I never really watched "Buffy" -- never had the time to. But I do know that the creators and contributors are all SW fans and really love the Saga and these little references are just their homage to GL and I think they're done in good humor and with the right spirit. :)

Stryphe

Hmm? Oh, sure that's fine, as long as it's in a generic, non-disparaging way (and somehow appropriate to the topic of the thread). Or, if it's about a friend and is in a positive light (and again, somehow appropriate to the topic of the thread).

That's cool. I agree that there is no need to attack others around here (at least on these boards). At the 3SA -- better be prepared to defend yourself (and where a cup if necessary. LOL). But is it acceptable, if talked about in a constructive manner, to discuss either personal anecdotes that may not show some others, generally, in a positive light or to talk about the consequences of the opinions of others (ie -- arguing against Anakin's redemption in ROTJ, which is the whole point of the Saga)?

Just want to be clear so as not to piss you off. :D

The "films/fan" rule is really there to prevent the following situation:
    1) User X talks about User Y in a disparaging way.
    2) User X talks about people posting in thread X in a disparaging way.
    3) Or, on a broader (and more common) scale, group of fans talk about another group of fans (with an opposing viewpoint) in a disparaging way -- like EU fans bashing purists, or bashers talking down about gushers, or visa versa (and any such combination of). 1, 2 and 3 always lead to fights, and fights lead to flaming. It's the path to the dark side, ya know

I'm glad to see that finally TFN has rules and are willing to stick by them. Maybe it just took mods like yourself Stryphe, to enforce them properly. This place, IMHO, needed some order to it that was greatly lacking in the past.

MissPadme

I've read a bio or two, and along with all the various myths of various cultures that he studied and commented on, I do believe he read Schoepenhaur and Kirkegaard, but not Emerson. I've been asking because I read an essay of Emerson's titled "On History" and I found his comments fascinating and somewhat Campbellian in their observations about the utility of history toward culture, very much like what Campbell says about myth in regards to culture. Obviously, since Emerson lived before Campbell, I would assume that Campbell was at least roughly familiar with these works of genius.

And I remember that article in the Insider way back when -- really cool people.

Rebelscum

I'm sorry that you got into something like that over there, but keep in mind that these boards aren't the some total of all fandom. It's a small minority, and not a well-read or well-intentioned minority at that. There are just some people who won't get it, no matter how clear some people state it. Stand by your positions and if people don't accept them, let them go on in their bliss of ignorance. At least you tried to enlighten them, right?

Since I inadvertantly started a discussion about Natalie, I might as well go all the way and bring up the other member of that dynamic duo. So ladies, what's the big deal about Hayden?

Being a man, I wouldn't have the slightest idea, beyond him being a good actor and I suppose pretty, but would like to know. :)
  18. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    ***Sits down after eating dinner*** (Boston Market hits the spot every time!)

Yeah, Dawn I too have always loved the last line of your sig. I don't know how to say how true that is!! [face_love] [face_blush]

Where are ya'll finding all these Buffy/SW quotes? I'm just now in the middle of the episode "Flooded" from season 6 and haven't found anything yet :( .

Arriss --yes, we must send a million thanks to GL for giving us The Chosen One!!! Mr. Christensen is simply =P~ ...to die for, especially as a baddy! [face_devil] [face_love] !!

RebelScum77 --You got called "what"? for your beliefs!!! I think I'm going to have to march myself over to that board and see if I can't tell it like it is ... [face_frustrated]
    It's nice to know there is another Buffy fan out there!! I, for one, had heard about the show and immediately thought, "oh, how stupid!" Plus I wasn't a huge fan of Sarah Michelle either. But my friend, who I thought would never like the show in a million years, got me hooked and I'm soooooooooo grateful that she did.

To our fellow fans out there who have never seen an ep of Buffy:

If anyone is a fan of the A/P love story and likes all that drama and romance and emotion mixed with sci-fi, fantasy and a little horror all set in an "alternate universe" then you would LOVE Buffy!!!! And Angel, for that matter. My emotions were stirred with this series almost as much as they are stirred by SW!!! And the humor....subtle, yet soooooo bust-a-gut funny!!

And SMG did a REALLY good job in that series. I never thought she was that good an actress before, but she will blow you away in this!!! Go ahead, try an episode out...borrow it from a friend. The first I would recommend would be the episode "Angel" from Season One...ep. 7, I think. The ending of that one...oh. my. gosh. You will be hooked!!! :)

-AnakinsLuv

19. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    So ladies, what's the big deal about Hayden?

Oh boy!! Did you ever open up a can of worms with that one!!! Here we go....

Well...first of all he's gorgeous!!! I mean, especially as tan Anakin coming from Tattooine...that golden skin....mmmmm....

And those eyes...they have the ability to just stare so deeply into what ever he is looking at...they are just sooooo intense!!! [face_batting]

And his lips....so full and kissable!! :*

He also seems sooooooo sweet and likable in all of his interviews...a real down-to-earth guy. And yet, he is soooooo good at playing the bad boy...there's something about it I can't really put my fingure on it. I believe that Ewan said he's got quite the beautiful spirit.

He's just cool... :cool:

I have to go right now, but will post WAY more on this later....
  20. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Actually, some other excellent "Buffy" eps that would, I think, be enough to hook just about anyone, would be pretty much all of the second season....but especially the whole Angelus arc - and, of course, anything featuring Spike and Drusilla as a general rule. ;) There's no question, though, that SMG really gets to show some incredible talent in that arc....one moment she's such a commanding, fierce, warrior-woman presence....the next instant she's just breaking your heart in exquisite sympathy for her pain and loss. And, of course, that entire story arc does get *so* tremendously, wonderfully, angsty dark in fine good fashion....and that's just superb, inspiring drama all around - the very kind of thing that we do sink our teeth into with a vengeance, methinks. :D Would you believe, the one ep that got me hooked was "Once More, With Feeling" - from that moment on, I was a real fanatic, and hoo boy....what a fine game of catch-up that was to play, too. :) *chuckles*

Oh, and thanks so much, all my lovelies, for the kind words about the last line of my sig....though, really, I unfortunately can't claim full credit for having originated it - ahhh, darn! ;) Truth be told, it comes by way of a Haydenlist I'm on....but it's not the only particular turn of phrase that I've made especial note of from there....honestly, the stuff that some people will keep coming up with....it's entirely delightful, and of course, makes me tingle in right good fashion. :) H'm, h'm, now that I think of it....maybe it's time to tackle the sig once more.... *pondering, with a distinctly lustful look in her eye*

Dawn.
  21. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    Oh yes, baby!!! That second season is the bomb!!! The 2nd, 3rd and 5th are probably my favorites! [face_love]

And Spike and Drusilla...they are sooo classic... :cool:

I became a fan during the 6th season too...the 1st ep of that one actually. Yeah, there was LOTS of catching up to do and it all came right after 9/11. It was VERY therapeutic for me to watch Buffy kick the crap out of the "bad guys" during all the aftermath of that great tradgic day in our nation's history... that show has a very personal meaning to me in more ways than one...

(Actually, I think a lot of woman can relate to one or more of the trials that Buffy goes through in one way or the other at some point in their lives) :)

Oh...okay....more on Hayden in a minute...
  22. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    Okay...Hayden...

Well, here is a post I wrote on the HC Fan Club thread about Hayden just being *meant* for the part of Anakin/Vader:

Okay...just watched it (the "Return of Vader" doc) again for the 5th time and that part where they are putting the helmet on him in slow motion...oooooooohhhhhhh!!! Hayden just looks like he is enjoying every single nano-second of that moment!!! I'm so happy for him that they made the suit for him and not someone else and he got to wear it!!!

It's like he's taking it all in...giving himself to the darkside! Muwhahahah!!! [face_devil]
    (Just think...that was his orgasmic moment he talked about!! )

He was soooooooooo meant for this part...he is THE CHOSEN ONE in so many ways, shapes and forms!! Like when we can see his profile shadow on the side of the Lars Homestead and it totally looks like Darth Vader's profile in Episode II...Rick and George even comment on this in the EpII commentary...something like, "Wow! We didn't computer generate that subtle detail?
    No, that's really Hayden's shadow!
    Wow! How's that for coincidence!"

See...simply meant to be.

It was written in the stars before time began. I truly beleive this with all my mind and heart!

And, you know ladies, he can just give that look...that smoldering ,head down, eyes looking up, seductive, bad-boy gaze....it makes my heart sink to my toes...or get caught in my throat, one or the other. [face_love] :p

-AnakinsLuv
  23. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    Hayden is appealing to me because he seems so unassuming about his fame. He seems really serious about his work, not just about being another Hollywood flake.

Plus--he's HOT! He's just the type of guy that I've always been attracted to in real life--tall, lanky and baby-faced. (That's why I married one, LOL). And by all accounts, he's genuinely a nice guy.

I LOVED season 2 of Buffy--it was never paralleled, IMO. And of course, the whole "Forbidden Love" aspect of the Buffy/Angel relationship, and the fact that them being in love was what caused him to go bad, and the fact that she had to do what she did at the end of the season--:_|. Just fantastic writing that season, and a great story. I mean, what do you do when the man you love turns into a murderous psycho?

One of my favorite quotes from Buffy (which also sort of rings true for our couple here):

Buffy: So, I'm wondering, does this always happen? Sleep with a guy, and he goes all evil?

(That was from season 4, I believe)

But the thing about season 2 was, no matter what Angelus did, no matter how horrible he became, Buffy still loved him. But in the end, she had to choose her duty.
  24. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    I used to watch Buffy and Angel. It kind of reminds me of Anakin and Padme. But after Buffy went to UPN that kind of went away.
  25. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    But is it acceptable, if talked about in a constructive manner, to discuss either personal anecdotes that may not show some others, generally, in a positive light or to talk about the consequences of the opinions of others (ie -- arguing against Anakin's redemption in ROTJ, which is the whole point of the Saga)?

My gut says no, this is not OK, but maybe you could PM me some examples just to see if we're in the same page.

This place, IMHO, needed some order to it that was greatly lacking in the past.

Well, when modding, I always ask myself "what would Palpatine do?"
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.