main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the EU Debates: Does EU Violate GL's Vision of AGFFA or Not? (NO BLASTERS!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Merkurian , Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordPhobetor

LordPhobetor Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2001
    The anger stemming from this thread is most delicious, I must say. Enough to give me reason to pause from my meditiations on the dark side. Since everyone is so adamant in their positions, and I'm quite certain by now that everyone is tired of them, allow me to sum up the gist of the last few posts:

Jewlmc: I DON'T LIKE EU!!!

Merkurian: So what. Can you prove that GL doesn't?

Jewlmc: Err...um...Well, I think that EU SUCKS!! WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO SHOVE EU DOWN MY THROAT?!??!!!

Merkurian: No one's trying to shove EU down your throat. I'm still waiting on proof that GL thinks that EU sucks...
    *crickets chirping*
    Commander Antilles: Err...well...EU isn't Canon, and NOTHING you'll ever say will make me change my mind!! Never, NEVER, NEVER!!!

Bib Fortuna: Well, you're a moron. I don't understand WHY you think that EU isn't canon, and I'll completely ignore ANY evidence that could possibly be interpreted as proving me wrong!

Commander Antilles: Well, how about this proof here!?!

Bib Fortuna: Did you not hear me say that I was going to completely ignore any contradictory evidence? Witness my mental agility as I contort my mind to deny your evidence! Kneel before the evidence that I present that I say makes you wrong!!!

*Meanwhile, everyone tunes out the sound of the shouting match, looking at their watches, wondering how long it will be before Sturm Antilles & Skywalker_Kenobi start trading personal insults*

Commander Antilles, are you so afraid of accepting the truths of what is being said here that you'll de-rail this thread in a vain attempt to hide the fact that you can't refute what is being said?

Fortuna, are you so afraid of a point of view that contrasts with yours that you'll resort to all manner of mental gymnastics to deny new information?

As I said, I find the anger here and the fear that it springs from to be most amusing.

Perhaps with time & training, you'll make useful Sith minions....

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I never said I was ignoring evidence. Quite the contrary, in fact. I take in everything and make a conclusion based on all the facts. It is because of this that I have concluded that the EU is canon.

3. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

4. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "Commander Antilles: Well, how about this proof here!?!

Bib Fortuna: Did you not hear me say that I was going to completely ignore any contradictory evidence? Witness my mental agility as I contort my mind to deny your evidence! Kneel before the evidence that I present that I say makes you wrong!!! "

Din't I see a joke like that in the Dilbert comic strip? ;)

5. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    People can be useful, especially as minions. I want lots of minions.

6. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I come to this thread to laugh my ass off.

Do you think GL's children visit this site?Do you think they call him over to laugh at threads like this and the people in em?

"Dad!Dad!Look at these people!"

"I told you to stay the hell away from that place!!!!Do you want to end up like them?"

"No dad.Sorry Dad"

7. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Actually, I'd like it to go on record that since BF, T and Sturm Antilles consistently either ignore my evidence in the EU=canon debate or call me a liar, further discussion is pointless. :)

Besides all of which, I've forgotten the lesson of September 11th, namely that there are far more important things in life.

I'm sure Bib and Sturm shall accuse me of running away from this because I can't win it, but I wish them enjoyment in their attempts to further the cause of EU. :)

Goodbye!

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I do not ignore your evidence. I have shown that your evidence is outdated and wrong.

9. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    Yes, of course it is. :)

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    *continues blaster firing as they continue discussing canon*

YOUR DEAD! ALL OF YOU! DEAD MEN DON'T TALK.

Now that you've beaten this arguement to death for no purpose whatsoever.

Can we discuss the new topic?

Should EU conform itself to accomadate what George wants now?

11. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I think I'm the only one in this thread who hasn't been flamed yet. My icon can't even be blasted, for I have no icon. :p

Now, would someone please post something on the original topic for me to argue with? :)

12. LordPhobetor

LordPhobetor Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2001
    Commander Antilles, I see right through your attempts at moral superiority. This thread was never supposed to be about whether or not EU = Canon, but you chose to try and make it such.

Now you are shocked, *shocked* to find yourself under severe fire. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

"You have paid the price for your lack of vision!"

Bib Fortuna, what causes folks some amusement is the tenacity with which you cling to your POV. Which is more important: the time frame under which a statement was made, or the venue by which it was made?

Allow me to play devil's advocate here: Your claim that the Gamer quote trumps the Star Wars Official Site because the Gamer magazine came out after the Official quote.

Allow me to throw that argument right back in your face, because I received my Gamer magazine before the Official quote, which going by your "timing" logic, the Official Site statement trumps what was stated in the Gamer magazine because the Official statement is more recent.

Moreover don't you think that it just might be possible that Cerasi had read the statements in the Gamer magazine prior to them being published, hence his statement that the term "canon" was being used too casually? Wasn't the question that sparked the whole thing "Is the Gamer Magazine Canon?"

Oh wait, I'm not done yet...

Given the gravity of the statements being read, don't you think that The Official effing Web Site of All Things Star Wars holds even a teensy bit of precedent over a target-market publication?

Given these types of arguments to counter your POV, and your absolute refusal to consider them, you're shocked, *shocked* that your mere presence causes people to draw their blasters....

13. Skywalker_Kenobi

Skywalker_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2001
    And I will always be ready to shoot down any "EU=canon" threads.

Me too, brother.

Apparently you don't know what canon is because you still hold the belief that only the movies are canon. The Gamer magazine is more recent, and therefore, more correct than the Sansweet quote. End of story.

Offical canon = only the movies. Sansweet's statement is most recent. Magazines are dated months ahead and that is the magazine date you keep reffering to. Sansweet's statement is most recent and is a higher authority, that explains why TOS sticks by it and not Sue's outdated statement. You lose. Stop ignoring the facts Bib.

14. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "Offical canon = only the movies. Sansweet's statement is most recent. Magazines are dated months ahead and that is the magazine date you keep reffering to. "

Look, there's really no way of knowing which was written more recently. Often magazines (especially letter pages) are being worked on up to the day it hits the printers. It's possible that the magazine article was written before, and it's also possible that it was written after.

"Sansweet's statement is most recent and is a higher authority, that explains why TOS sticks by it and not Sue's outdated statement. You lose."

Again, no proof. We need an update on this matter from LFL. Also, posting "you lose" after every statement, especially after in essense, saying nothing, is very gay.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    *sigh*

We have been over this many, many times. The date of the publication is the important thing because that is when it is available for everyone to view. Sansweet is dated August 17th. Rostoni is dated Sept/Oct. There is nothing more that needs to be said on the subject.

16. Skywalker_Kenobi

Oct 26, 2001
    Again, no proof. We need an update on this matter from LFL.

Sansweet is head of fan relations at LFL. Sue is an editor at Lucas Licensing.

Also, posting "you lose" after every statement, especially after in essense, saying nothing, is very gay.

Well, he has lost.

We have been over this many, many times. The date of the publication is the important thing because that is when it is available for everyone to view. Sansweet is dated August 17th. Rostoni is dated Sept/Oct. There is nothing more that needs to be said on the subject.

Wrong, that statement is so foolish I'm not even going to bother addressing it.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    PPOR

I have not lost because you have not built up a good enough argument. I have shown you again and again why your "proof" is not accurate, yet you continue to post the same things over and over again.

If you want to continue this argument, find recent evidence that supports your side. Until you do that, you are wrong.

Wrong, that statement is so foolish I'm not even going to bother addressing it.

Why? Because you can't stand up to such overwhelming evidence?

18. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "Well, he has lost."

I'm afraid I don't see how. You've constantly failed to prove your point with facts. You tend to answer things with your own conjecture.

In a court of law, your side would lose. Bib has written proof of the dates these two conflicting statements were PUBLISHED.

Until you can prove that the statement written in Gamer # 6 is older than the Sansweet one, I'm afraid, you lose.

19. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Well..I'm bored.

Sue is not the only one that refers to tghe EU as canon.

Alan Kausch did in one issue of tales.

he referred to everything as"The SWs canon"

LFL keeps this blurry so that everyone takes what they want.No fans are offended.

Lemme make a prediction.After episode III they will call everything canon without worrying.This will bring in more readers.The future of SWs is in the books.They'll no longer care about movie purists.They won't have to.

(BTW Sansweet being head of Fan relations means othing.LOL.He's basically just a big nerd.A puppet.Also,he got his info from Chris Ceransi another continuity editor who's on the same level as Sue.)

20. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    Ok, I can think of only one solution to all of this. Load up the station wagon, break out the Ted Nugent cd's, fill up the gas tank and let's hit the road. We aren't stopping til we get to Unkie George's place. We're going to ask him once and for all who's right in this case. But, I get the feeling that even if we got an answer straight from his mouth, somebody would still have something to argue about the whole damn thing.

sample arguements:

"He wasn't wearing plaid, so he must be confused as to the answer he gave us."

"His shoes were obviously too tight and that distracted him while answering us"

"When he said no/yes, there was a man behind him chain smoking Morleys"

21. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    ROFLOLOLOL Ringo. That's exactly how I envision it.

And YOU Bib don't get that the GAMER (Still puzzling over the fact a magazine about VIDEO GAMES can mean anything)

The magazine is about videogames, card games, and roleplaying games, and the fiction and non-fiction stuff that ties into them. It's also about the continuity of the various SW stories. It has the power and authority to make statements, through LFL, about canon and continuity issues.

Offical canon = only the movies. Sansweet's statement is most recent. Magazines are dated months ahead and that is the magazine date you keep reffering to. Sansweet's statement is most recent and is a higher authority, that explains why TOS sticks by it and not Sue's outdated statement. You lose. Stop ignoring the facts Bib.

That's funny. Where's the quote in the TOS article that says "only the movies are canon"? I must have missed that.

So, really, the date of either article ( TOS or Gamer ) doesn't matter...nor what "level of canonicity" a particular Lucasfilm employee is. Because it does not invalidate the Gamer quote, and I explain why on page 4 in this thread.

22. Skywalker_Kenobi

Oct 26, 2001
    I have not lost because you have not built up a good enough argument. I have shown you again and again why your "proof" is not accurate, yet you continue to post the same things over and over again.

It is proof. It's the latest statement. TOS sticks by it.

Why? Because you can't stand up to such overwhelming evidence?

Your "evidence" comes from a lower authority and it oudated. Don't make yourself out to be a hero Bib, because ignoring facts doesn't make heros.

In a court of law, your side would lose. Bib has written proof of the dates these two conflicting statements were PUBLISHED.

My proof can be found on TOS. It's was punlished in an EU publication, which takes away truth, along with the facts that it comes from a lower authority and the fact that's outdated.

Until you can prove that the statement written in Gamer # 6 is older than the Sansweet one, I'm afraid, you lose.

Bib refers to the magazines date as if it was the date the statement was said. Sansweet's statement is the lastest. Check TOS.

That's funny. Where's the quote in the TOS article that says "only the movies are canon"? I must have missed that.

Look up the Sansweet statement, it is the most recent statement on canon that we have available.

So, really, the date of either article ( TOS or Gamer ) doesn't matter...nor what "level of canonicity" a particular Lucasfilm employee is. Because it does not invalidate the Gamer quote, and I explain why on page 4 in this thread.

Sue is not an LFL employee. Sansweet made the most recent statement on the issue canon and TOS sticks by it.

23. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    My proof can be found on TOS. It's was punlished in an EU publication, which takes away truth, along with the facts that it comes from a lower authority and the fact that's outdated.

Circular argument. We can ignore Gamer because it isn't canon, because it's EU and EU isn't canon as long as you ignore Gamer, and we do ignore Gamer because it isn't canon...

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Wrong again. Sansweet is dated August 17th. Rostoni is dated Sept/Oct. Get that through your thick skull. Do not post anything else until you acknowledge that.

And the mere idea that just because the quote was featured in an EU publication reduces its truth is ludicrous. What if Dresses-In-Plaid or your precious Sansweet were featured in a Gamer magazine?

Again, if you can find a quote that comes after Sept/Oct, then you would have a valid argument. Until then, stop posting all this BS.

25. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    Commander Antilles, I see right through your attempts at moral superiority. This thread was never supposed to be about whether or not EU = Canon, but you chose to try and make it such.

Now you are shocked, *shocked* to find yourself under severe fire. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

LOL!!!

You seriously think I'm alarmed by all this?? [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    I've given my evidence, and people here are refusing to accept it, either by ignoring it or calling me a liar. What more needs to be said? In the long run, who gives a damn who's right here?

Bib, any more personal insults, and you know what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.