main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the EU Debates: Does EU Violate GL's Vision of AGFFA or Not? (NO BLASTERS!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Merkurian , Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think we're empty-handed when it comes to proof.

As I expected. But it was fun to watch some people squirm and rant. :)

2. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Wouldn't an absence of proof on either side tend to support us?

3. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
    I thought I'd post this just in case any of us forgot what that thread was like.

List Credit: Genghis12, who is canon.

The Top 100 Most Hilarious Lines Overheard In Canon: The Last Word
    By The Crazed Members of the TF.N?s Jedi Council

1. CANON IS WHATEVER YOU WANT IT TO BE!!!!!! ? Jedilord
    2. That tends to hold more weight in the Star Wars franchise than "JediLord, poster at theForce.net Jedi Council" does. ? Genghis12
    3. Canon? Sounds like something that will blow up in your face. ? snap-hiss
    4. At first glance I thought this was about the new Conan movie staring The Rock as Arnie's son. ? wild_karrde
    5. Rule#312: Never start a thread about canon on TFN's message boards......ever. ? RingoJuna
    6. If posts like these keep up, this thread really should be moved to the Fan-Fic Forum. ? Genghis12
    7. Well, Mr Cowboy, will you please read the whole thread ? Because it's obvious you didn't. ?PrinceXizor
    8. Comics are Books???? then why are they called Comics? ? Mutley
    9. Canon make some pretty decent printers, huh? ? Darth_Destructo
    10. The absolute fact is that everything is canon. You cannot say otherwise because that would be a lie. ? Bib Fortuna, Twilek
    11. To argue ad inasnum of something other than that is rather absurd. ? Genghis12
    12. the only reason they said that is so people don't stop buying those precious books, comics, etc and fanboys don't hang themselves. ? Cowboy_Jedi
    13. I am always asked "Why do you believe everything Lucas says?", I believe what Lucas says about HIS universe over what some dumb@$$ author writes. ? Cowboy_Jedi
    14. Genghis is right; everything is canon. And if Genghis and I can both agree on something, then it MUST be right. (Ignore any gaps in the logic in that statement) ? Gandolf the Grey
    15. Maybe they want to sell books, maybe they want to contribute to the Star Wars saga, maybe George Lucas told them to, maybe the offices of Gamer were attacked by a thousand monkeys armed with typewriters. Regardless of reason, people acting as representatives of Lucasfilm have declared virtually everything canon, and I will hold them to that word. ? Dev Sibwarra
    16. The Flanneled One himself could come out and hold a huge press conference inundating EU as canon and people would still argue the issue. ? JediStryker
    17. Build a fire and sacrifice it to the gods of Star Trek if you want to! STOP RUINING IT FOR ME!!! ? JadedofMara
    18. ...scary, i guess im actually AGREEING with Ghengis about something... ? JadedofMara
    19. Don't worry, I was scared the first time that I agreed with Genghis. You get used to it eventually. ? Dev Sibwarra
    20. To my credit, I also get scared when everyone actually agrees with me. ? Genghis12
    21. As in, I'm going to post in this thread but I won't yet; so if I don't within the next few days, someone please PM me and remind me. ? Iron Parrot
    22. makes me happy to think this way and really that is all that matters... ? UCLAJediMaster
    23. This is an EU Forum, so I guess most of the people here will try to push the "EU=canon" line. ? Commander Antilles
    24. (In reply) That's like saying "This is Atlantis, so I guess most people here eat seafood." ? Gandolf the Grey
    25. But for guys like me and Lucas, who consider EU just fan fiction anyways? -- Padme Bra
    26. Lucas has no respect for, nor knows anything about EU, otherwise he wouldn't contradict it so blatently in his films. ? Padme Bra
    27. Sit back,relax and don't get your bra ina bunch. ? Matthew Trias
    28. Remember we could all get so bogged down in this that at the Nth degree we could start debating if characters in the SW universe ever looked like the figures released by Hasbro (i.e. the beefed up 1995 versions). ? Jafo
    29. If you're sick of all the pointless debates on what's canon, why start another one? ? RedCobra
    30. (in response) It helps us ignore real problems. ? Dev Sibwarra
    31. you dont know dick about me or anyone else here. ? JediLord
    32. JediLord, kindly consult a dictionary as to the meaning of the word "canon." Do you

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Wouldn't an absence of proof on either side tend to support us?

Well, you have proven it to them and they still don't believe you.

5. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Thanks for the Debate guys but I am not sure what the topic is any more. I have stated my views and I respect yours. :) I wish you all a great day. I will be moving on now. :D May the force (whatever part of it you accept) be with you.

6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    But we will always be ready to jump up and shoot down any anti-EU threads that Commander Antilles, PadmeBra, Skywalker_kenobi, jewlmc or others make. I look forward to the next victory! :D

7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Slogan : "It's easy to fight a bunch of clones when you've got the EUDF at your back." ;)

8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Ooh, I like it. Maybe we should tell Kwenn to make that our slogan. :)

9. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    And I will always be ready to shoot down any "EU=canon" threads.

10. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    Why don't we all agree that Barney sucks and try to get along?

11. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Sounds to me like some people just can't take the heat 'cause they're afraid to get burned.

12. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    The Steve Sansweet quote clearly says that only the films are official and that "canon" and "continuity" are misused by many people, including EU editors, I might add. It doesn't matter in the least whether it's older than the Rostoni quote, it was clearly intended to tell us that things like the Rostini quote are incorrect.
    And whether you believe it or not, that is the official Lucasfilm stance on what is canon, and I'm sure that anyone who isn't a diehard EU fan will agree with me.

13. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Why would they invalidate a Gamer quote that was like 4 days old? Makes no sense.

I don't even see a line in the TOS article that says "only the movies are canon". Just that they're "true canon", which I explained.

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Commander Antilles, with all due respect: your bringing up the "EU/Canon" debate again, despite my repeatedly asking not to smacks of an attempt to derail this thread again. These attempts at derailing smack of an attempt to cover up the fact that EU detractors don't seem to be able to come up with any evidence stronger than their own opinions to support their notion that EU somehow violates GL's vision of the Star Wars Saga.

Please, as an Admin., try to keep this on topic.

15. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    With all due respect, perhaps you should have a closer look at the people on your own side who try to turn this into a canon debate, too.

16. Corran

Corran Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    "With all due respect, perhaps you should have a closer look at the people on your own side who try to turn this into a canon debate, too."

What others do aint the issue.
    You are an admin and should keep on the topic. When others do something wrong it dosent mean that it ok for you to do the same.
    But i take it that it was the heat of the moment that made u a little trigger happy :D

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    So spank them if they get off-topic. You have the power.

Just think, a valid excuse to spank EU fans ;)

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Actually Commander, you were the very first person to take this off-topic into an "EU/Canon" debate:
    Date Posted: 11/1 3:07pm Subject: RE: Return of the EU Debates: Does EU Violate GL's Vision of AGFFA or Not? (NO BLASTERS!)
    So you admit it's merchandising, and therefore not his vision, do you?

And I'll stop debating this, here and elsewhere, when you admit that EU does not necessarily equal canon.
    -----signature-----

Padme: Let me explain, Mrs Skywalker! Those Jedi.....
    Shmi: Who's that?!
    Anakin: That's...Padme, Mum. Padme...mother.
    Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan: Anakin! Anakin! Show us the Chosen One!
    Shmi: Now you listen here! He's not the Chosen One! He's a very naughty boy!

Italics added are mine, but I think you see my point?

EDIT: Spelling. :p

19. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    *Laughs at Bib who thinks this is a victory, and that he is winning a war or something.*

Whatever. This is getting so stale.

20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    That's it...

I don't care about the thread title!

*pulls out his blaster*

You Bib!

*blasts him a hole in his lekku sprouting icon*

Yo Merkurian, reflect this!

*shoots him in his lightsaber hand then guns his icon down*

Anybody whose been arguing with them

*turns blaster on rapid fire*

*PZZT*

*PZZT*

*PZZT*

*looks at mound of icon corpses*

Yeah.

Okay new topic!

1:) Is the Empire something that should survive in Star Wars?

There is still a small patch in the galaxy run by Admiral Pelleon which while unlikely to pose a threat seems like it should be eliminated.

2:) Should Lumiya return?

The extinguishing of the Sith is a great point, especially since Luke would be forced to face his former love...

However once this is done...pssst no more Sith ever again

3:) Should Leia now become a Jedi?

She is too old for the training...or is she?

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Commander Antilles, you are the one who is erroneously stating that the EU is not canon. Take a look at the Gamer quote again and keep looking at it until you understand that all EU is canon.

22. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    And YOU Bib don't get that the GAMER (Still puzzling over the fact a magazine about VIDEO GAMES can mean anything) quote has been proven both outdated(Mags are written months before they are sent and Sansweets quote came after that) and not correct.

And for CRYING OUT LOUD! Has anyone REALLY looked at that quote which clearly seperates the movies from the books??? I mean YOU "REALLY READ IT" Keep looking at it Bib, till you see what it really says.

23. Commander Antilles

Jul 21, 1999
    You'll have a very very long wait, Bib. :)

Believe what you want to, I know what official canon is and I'll stick to that. :)

24. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Apparently you don't know what canon is because you still hold the belief that only the movies are canon. The Gamer magazine is more recent, and therefore, more correct than the Sansweet quote. End of story.

25. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    When leading the foolish man on for entertainment,make sure the fool isn't leading you on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.